Is it stealing

chimmychunger

It's stealing. You're not paying for the internet you're using. If you have to ask if it's wrong, it probably is.

LOL that's ridiculous.

I'd do whatever I can to not pay that crappy internet price.

It's not so much stealing, and more like avoiding tax. But yeah, it's still bad.

When I was at school we didn't have to pay for how much internet we used, but there was a way to login and use the net without logging in with your own user name.

This meant we could visit any site without them knowing who the user was, and thus we wouldn't get in trouble.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

WHAT? Your school charges you for internet? No school should be charging their students for internet. That's ludicrous. We're from the same country mate and I never paid for the use of an internet connection at school (even if it was 10 years ago). I would certainly be question this if I were you. What school is this in Adelaide?

norwood morialta

The only one thieving is that school of yours. What kind of ghetto school makes their students pay their internet? If it's a private school, you payed your dues to get in. If it's a public school, that shit is already paid for by tax payers. This is dumb on many levels.

You stole his password, not the schools internet.

If he gave it to you then it's fair n square.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

norwood morialta

This may seem like a rather stupid question but, how do you know that you have to pay for internet access?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Dude its school fuck it, just use it as long as the teacher doesn't have to pay a stupidly large bill i see no issue. 

This. I'm more concerned that this could all fall back on your teacher. I just wouldn't use the internet unless I really had to.

Pfft work away just don't use anything illegal and you will go unnoticed I can't imagine you schools admin is that interested in his job to actively check logs.

Technically it is but you can always make the argument Internet is a human right (thanks Germany).

As I was saying just stick to basic traffic and stay off dodgy sites. You should be fine. I know a couple of guys who work in schools and couldn't give a shit who is on what vlan.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

This may seem like a rather stupid question but, how do you know that you have to pay for internet access?

The school has a local network were we log in and it shows us how much credit we have, when we run out it comes up with a big white screen saying in red Looks like you have run out of credit, go to the paystation to buy some more

What a load of shit. What tight ass school charges students for internet while teachers get it for free? Shit as if school fees, books and clothes weren't enough. I never had to pay for internet at my school and my sister isn't currently either. Change to a different school or move to another state.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

WHAT!?. 

I can sort of see how it would be a good idea from the teachers perspective. (Limit internet usage to stop students from goofing off)

And they give you a limit. 

The problem is if what you're saying is true then they are counting on you to run out and buy more. Thus making some extra money
And that should be illegal. Here in sweden it's damn near illegal.
Around here i have free wifi almost anywhere i go. Unlimited and fast at that. 

And in the "read your grades up before uni" school im in right now we have great internet. (pages load instantly) And they charge zero,nada,nothing for the bandwith.

And we still don't goof off during classes...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yes, 3 cent per MB is what I'd consider robbery.

That's like 1 dollar per YouTube video!

No but seriously, getting onto a network you're not suppose to is illegal. In your case it's not morally wrong though, if you ask me.

It's stealing, but it's not wrong.

the school is funded by the Gvmt, so their internet is free to them.

so they are charging you to use something that costs them nothing.

that money is going somewhere, so find out where it is going and expose it.

that's my take.

TBH, I think they just want to indirectly prohibit wikipedia usage.

use the teacher's password by all means... schools shouldn't be doing that

Ok so my school charges us for internet 3 cenc a mb to be exact, so me and some friends found out a techers internet password (Teachers have unlimited) so we now use that, is it techically stealing or not. They do give us 40 cence a day but that last like one or 2 websites plus some teachers want us to watch youtube videos on the topic

Are you a teacher? Did a teacher give you permission to use their credentials? Are you taking or using something that isn't yours without permission? Does the thing you are taking or using normally cost money? Are you bypassing that cost?

The answer is: Yes, you are stealing.

Are you a teacher? Did a teacher give you permission to use their credentials? Are you taking or using something that isn't yours without permission? Does the thing you are taking or using normally cost money? Are you bypassing that cost?

The answer is: Yes, you are stealing.

And he damn well better keep doing it, that is so much bullshit.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Is your school by any chance owned by some kind of ISP?

And he damn well better keep doing it, that is so much bullshit.

At least he doesn't eat babies. I'll give him that much.

Techincally yeah but I'd do it anyway.

Technically, taking for free and without consent whatever someone has for himself, or sells/rent, is stealing.

Spoiler