Is there any chance for the Huawai/Google ban to be lifted?

Huawei keep pumping out phones and they look like real competition to the flagships we can actually buy.

Why can't politics be as simple as: "Biden does not like Trump, therefore he'll undo what Trump did"? 

My childish, black and white worldview would solve a lot of world problems. And create countless new ones, but that's besides the point.

Hopefully highly unlikely.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If China stopped planning dystopian nightmares I would agree that Huawei phones look decent.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

38 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Huawei keep pumping out phones and they look like real competition to the flagships we can actually buy.

Why can't politics be as simple as: "Biden does not like Trump, therefore he'll undo what Trump did"? 

My childish, black and white worldview would solve a lot of world problems. And create countless new ones, but that's besides the point.

This isn't all about politics.  It has a healthy dose of national security concerns, which is why there's at least some bi-partisan support for the ban.  Huawei is (for all intents and purposes) controlled by the Chinese government, which has a history of forcing manufacturers to build in firmware level back doors to their hardware products.  

While there's been no public evidence of this in Huawei's case, there are sources that claim intelligence communities have had evidence they just haven't revealed to the public.  What intelligence agencies have stated to the public is that on it's face, Huawei's software is so full of glaring security holes that even if China wasn't purposely eavesdropping, it would be nearly logistically impossible to make the equipment secure enough to use anywhere near sensitive information.  

So to answer your question, there's very little chance the ban will be lifted.  The risk/reward cost of removing the ban is just too high.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

2 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

This isn't all about politics.  It has a healthy dose of national security concerns, which is why there's at least some bi-partisan support for the ban.  Huawei is (for all intents and purposes) controlled by the Chinese government, which has a history of forcing manufacturers to build in firmware level back doors to their hardware products.  

While there's been no public evidence of this in Huawei's case, there are sources that claim intelligence communities have had evidence they just haven't revealed to the public.  What intelligence agencies have stated to the public is that on it's face, Huawei's software is so full of glaring security holes that even if China wasn't purposely eavesdropping, it would be nearly logistically impossible to make the equipment secure enough to use anywhere near sensitive information.  

So to answer your question, there's very little chance the ban will be lifted.  The risk/reward cost of removing the ban is just too high.  

If I am not mistaken too any Chinese company has to provide data access to the CCP at a whim by law.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

1 minute ago, solado said:

If I am not mistaken too any Chinese company has to provide data access to the CCP at a whim by law.

That is my understanding as well.  Even if Huawai wasn't spying on its customers now, there's nothing that prevents China from forcing thru a "security patch" that opens up that door.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

8 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

usa does the same thing and have been caught doing it to.

oh and when they do. you as a person or company are not allowed to talk about it. under law....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 hours ago, dogwitch said:

oh and when they do. you as a person or company are not allowed to talk about it. under law....

It's like spying - They all do it but at the same time, no one admits to it.

China has a law that Chinese exchange students, wherever they are must perform spying activities for the CCP as directed by them or else - It's not the fault of the students since they didn't make the law nor enforce it, yet it's there so they do it - Or else.

Same security concerns about Huawei and others like TikToK and even Discord related to data gathering (Spying) have been noted because of ownership/partial ownership by the CCP and that says on it's own the same as it does for Huawei, I do know TikTok has also been talked about more than once recently because of it and Discord itself has been mentioned a couple of times about it.

And to be fair, the US and others as said, do it too concerning things about apps that report back but at least there are no laws making spying something you MUST do if abroad as a student, tourist or anything else. 
That's one of the big "Lines" crossed between the US and China if comparing the two.

So no, this ban on Huawei will most likely never be lifted and I woudn't be suprised if, sometime in the future more bans are done for the same reasons.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

9 hours ago, dogwitch said:

That's great and all but two wrong's don't make a right, One country is currently threatening genocide of a specific island and the other one is using my data for marketing.

One country currently has set up illegal police station's in foreign countries to monitor it's citizens.

One country forced 300,000 citizens home through threats of vioilence to their families etc.

One country in my country dragged a protestor onto their embassy ground's and beat them.

Not excusing domestic data collection but after certain world event's we should be more cautious of what aboutism.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

18 hours ago, solado said:

That's actually the case for US based companies to the US government as well.

I can see how maybe using these phones in government when a foreign government might have access to some or all the data you store would be a bad idea, however for general consumers it doesn't make much of a difference - and also it's not really a reason to prevent Google from giving them access to Gapps.

@7412you can get gapps and custom roms going on many huawei models so don't let the trade ban discourage you if you really want one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, dogwitch said:

Aside from they don’t? The US does find security exploits but they cannot force companies to create a back door for them and they cannot force companies to hand them data without sufficient reason, the CCP has Carte Blanche. It’s also through a legal process that is documented, it might be redacted but it’s still public. 

Don't like that Huawei has been singled out. Always enjoyed their phones. Meanwhile, some shady stuff has been found on Xiaomi software and they are still permitted.

6 minutes ago, divito said:

Don't like that Huawei has been singled out. Always enjoyed their phones. Meanwhile, some shady stuff has been found on Xiaomi software and they are still permitted.

I think it started as Huawei was installing products in critical infrastrcuture which lead to the event's leading to it being black listed.

Xiaomi probably got away with it as they aren't doing above.

these sanctions against chinese companies are always funny. neccesity is the mother of all inventions. Before the ban, the chinese always rely on key western techonoliges like silicons chips. Now US is banning chinese companies from all these techs, it actually force the chinese to spend an ungodly amount of resources on their R&D and thus causing the opposite desired effect, fueling china's technolgical development rather than hamstrung it.

Before the chips banned, china can not produce chips that are on par with what the Americans had 10 years ago, after the ban, china SMIC suddenly came up with a working 7nm proccess node before even Intel had a working and scalable 7nm which is very ironic. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/3/2022 at 6:50 PM, 7412 said:

So you want Biden to undo everything Trump did, regardless of whether it was a good choice?

I've definitely seen interesting stuff from Huawei, but if they can't keep the data away from their dictatorship, no one should be using it.

19 hours ago, divito said:

Meanwhile, some shady stuff has been found on Xiaomi software and they are still permitted

This was my next question as an uninformed fool actually: what sets Xiaomi apart from Huawei in this whole story?

*** Thread locked ***

As premise here is strongly political, discussion will not be allowed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv