LTT Official Folding Month V (2022)

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,
52 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Just working on the blog post now, probably will be up within the hour 

It is here, just in time! 

6 hours ago, Psittac said:

Does the 4xxx series have a problem with ram temps?  I have to underclock my 3080 to keep the vram from cooking.  Oh and 30m ppd is freaking insane

Not really on my Zotac card anyway. I ran a 200mhz overclock most of the time on core and memory. Last night after the event was over I fired up 3dmark for the first time and was able to hit +1000mhz ram in timespy extreme. 1100 crashed.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

2 hours ago, OhBoy said:

yeah the complaints I heard about were against the marketing of the game. But an action horror sounds like hella of fun! now I need to decide to go for the game on PS5 or PC

I wish reviewers would check if games have DualSense controller support (the actual haptics identical to PS5 not the basic support Steam provides) on PC as that's often the defining factor for me if I get on PS5 or PC, as the PS5 controller is what I use on PC anyway.  That said, I think having a 4090 now I'd be insane to get the PS5 version.

Its such a pain on PC as games which DO support it natively you have to mess around disabling Steams controller emulation, or in Far Cry 6 I just close Steam entirely and launch it Ubisoft Connect directly.  But my goodness I felt it made a huge difference when I suddenly realised it worked in FC6, using the weapons feels so much better with tension on the triggers and its sad Microsoft didn't implement something like this instead of their vibrating triggers, as it would get way more support if they did.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 hours ago, Senzelian said:

You are not alone D: 

My electricity went up 20% right in time for the last week of folding. And the energy company is trying to push for 100% renewable energy generation, which I 100% support, but not at a 40% premium per KWh.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

My electricity went up 20% right in time for the last week of folding. And the energy company is trying to push for 100% renewable energy generation, which I 100% support, but not at a 40% premium per KWh.

Fusion reactors. Soon™

Getting rid of nuclear energy was a mistake.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Fusion reactors. Soon™

b b but don't you know what happened to chernobyl, and what are we going to do about all the nuclear waste!?

i'm glad we have totally renewable and 100% recyclable wind turbines instead /s

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

b b but don't you know what happened to chernobyl, and what are we going to do about all the nuclear waste!?

i'm glad we have totally renewable and 100% recyclable wind turbines instead /s

Don't forget 3 mile island, a minor nuclear hiccup that rendered a reactor to never produce another watt of nuclear energy after just only a year of operation. 

The catastrophic failure of Chernobyl was a result of mismanagement, cut corners, and negligence.

Nuclear power is extremely safe 99.99% of the time, the .01% is catastrophic danger. 

Additionally, the US uses a super inefficient design compared to other countries, and due to fear and pressure from oil companies, draconian regulations were put out on nuclear power which all but prevents new reactors from being built in the US

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Fusion reactors. Soon™

Recent article I read estimated ~15 years for successful reactor that was useable. Recently able to get better magnetic field action for heating and came very close to neutral energy (relative to previous energy requirements)

28 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Don't forget 3 mile island, a minor nuclear hiccup that rendered a reactor to never produce another watt of nuclear energy after just only a year of operation. 

The catastrophic failure of Chernobyl was a result of mismanagement, cut corners, and negligence.

Nuclear power is extremely safe 99.99% of the time, the .01% is catastrophic danger. 

Additionally, the US uses a super inefficient design compared to other countries, and due to fear and pressure from oil companies, draconian regulations were out on nuclear power which all but prevents new reactors from being built in the US

very true. same goes for wind and solar...

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I wish reviewers would check if games have DualSense controller support (the actual haptics identical to PS5 not the basic support Steam provides) on PC

100% agree. I just started playing FF7 remake on PS5 -since you know PS+ free game-. and my god! the dualsense and the 3D surround sound was just next level I am now wondering if I should get Crisis Core on PC or PS5 just for this. But I guess we are a minority of players that reviewers cant afford to entertain

49 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

very true. same goes for wind and solar...

Idk bout you, but wind and solar have been exploding with popularity (apart from a few nimbnulls in media, some of which being something ridiculous like "solar panels will stop the sun from shining" or "wind turbines will stop the wind from blowing"

To the people who think hills with windmills are "spoiling the aesthetic of nature" to which I say: look at this monument of human engineering. This massive thing that generates megawatts of electricity harnessing nature itself.

3 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I don't know where you are but in the UK the pricing system is completely messed up.  Renewables are CHEAPER, but that saving isn't passed on as they are regulated to sell at the same price regardless of  how its generated.

That's how you know people in government have invested in oil, as otherwise it would be in everyones interest to encourage buying the cheapest, greenest energy.

19 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

To the people who think hills with windmills are "spoiling the aesthetic of nature" to which I say: look at this monument of human engineering. This massive thing that generates megawatts of electricity harnessing nature itself.

What I don't get about those people is do they not think polluting the planet will do a lot more than ruin the aesthetic?

Over the last year I've seen barely any insects around here, its freaky is its damp and lots of trees so usually you're struggling trying to keep them out of the house.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't know where you are but in the UK the pricing system is completely messed up.  Renewables are CHEAPER, but that saving isn't passed on as they are regulated to sell at the same price regardless of  how its generated.

That's how you know people in government have invested in oil, as otherwise it would be in everyones interest to encourage buying the cheapest, greenest energy.

PA Philadelphia suburbs. Electricity is .147/KWh, 100% renewables from the duopoly here is about .18-.21

Repasted 480 is running 10C cooler after service. 120W, 1355mhx core 65C.

Can only imagine what really good thermal compound would do (XTM50 is 5w/mk)

3 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

PA Philadelphia suburbs. Electricity is .147/KWh, 100% renewables from the duopoly here is about .18-.21

my state. largest power company has a monopoly.. also wrote state laws on solar to.... good for them. bad for everyone else.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I've been following the progress ITER is making, and it's pretty exciting. I'd love to go work over there, but they don't seem to need any IT people at the moment, and I probably wouldn't qualify anyways.

In any case, the biggest obstacles to a commercial fusion power plant are funding and awareness. The science is there, and the engineering is almost there.

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Renewables are CHEAPER, but that saving isn't passed on as they are regulated to sell at the same price regardless of  how its generated.

As somebody that is actively working on power aggregation, procurement, and management...this is...only part of the picture.

Renewables are cheaper per megawatt hour produced...but only the initial chunks of it at utility scale help directly.  After that, it is at the wrong time, so you pay to idle other plants and keep other rapid response plants running even though you have the solar or wind coming in.  You can get close for about 80% of the year by combining equal ratios of solar, wind, and storage...such that solar is during the day, wind at night, and storage handles the time shifting and demand production needed, but that's expensive and once you deplete the batteries during the winter, then you're firing up even more expensive seasonal peak load generation.

In short, there's no free lunch, and "renewables are cheaper" is just as ridiculous to say without lots of qualifiers as "wind turbines kill birds" or "more CPU cores is better".

Small scale solar on your house if you're using AC though, is an ideal way to offset your worst load by the largest amount at the right times, even if it doesn't work in that ideal manner for utility scale.

5 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

It really depends on the area, and how far it is seen, and how iconic the landscape is.  If it is a random hill in a town, windmills are fine and great.  If it is one specific though larger spot, especially if it was previously (or currently) a waste or industrial area, it is great.  If it is an iconic landscape that is seen from everywhere...find someplace different because it is absolutely "spoiling the aesthetic of nature".

50 minutes ago, justpoet said:

It really depends on the area, and how far it is seen, and how iconic the landscape is.  If it is a random hill in a town, windmills are fine and great.  If it is one specific though larger spot, especially if it was previously (or currently) a waste or industrial area, it is great.  If it is an iconic landscape that is seen from everywhere...find someplace different because it is absolutely "spoiling the aesthetic of nature".

Absolutely, totally agree. 

31 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I highly recommend a tube of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. The temperature advantage it has over almost any other thermal paste, including MX-5 and NT-H2, is insane. I've only seen it beat by Kryonaut Extreme.

After 4 hrs of folding:

A very nice 69C in a room that would be described as "cold" by my ex, as sweat runs down my forehead and I begin to feel nauseous.

Lightly warm comfy bedroom: 17-18C 

Folding area: 23C

7 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Idk bout you, but wind and solar have been exploding with popularity (apart from a few nimbnulls in media, some of which being something ridiculous like "solar panels will stop the sun from shining" or "wind turbines will stop the wind from blowing"

Wind and solar are great until you have rolling black outs because the sun went down and the wind isn’t blowing.  Been there and done that a lot here in California. 

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

10 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Wind and solar are great until you have rolling black outs because the sun went down and the wind isn’t blowing.  Been there and done that a lot here in California. 

California, much like other grids like Texas and the mid Atlantic, have very outdated grids because the usage is so near capacity that it can't be realistically taken offline for upgrades, which results in rolling blackouts when less than perfect conditions exist.

Though Texas is another can of worms.

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

California, much like other grids like Texas and the mid Atlantic, have very outdated grids because the usage is so near capacity that it can't be realistically taken offline for upgrades, which results in rolling blackouts when less than perfect conditions exist.

Though Texas is another can of worms.

a ton of usa infrastructures is  falling apart or age out... no one really wants to deal with it and put laws back into place to deal with it. Seeing cost...

let just say throw away money(if i had the amount to fund build of everything.) linus would 100% percent sell me ltt group..

8 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

a ton of usa infrastructures is  falling apart or age out... no one really wants to deal with it and put laws back into place to deal with it. Seeing cost...

let just say throw away money(if i had the amount to fund build of everything.) linus would 100% percent sell me ltt group..

If only people with exceptional money and power stopped parroting "why tf should I care, I'll be dead 20 yrs from now" and "you don't know anything, you're young, shut up and wait your turn"

To quote my grandfather who spoke maybe 500K words in his 72 years alive (avg of 20/day) "just don't be a dick and we will all get along"

14 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

If only people with exceptional money and power stopped parroting "why tf should I care, I'll be dead 20 yrs from now" and "you don't know anything, you're young, shut up and wait your turn"

To quote my grandfather who spoke maybe 500K words in his 72 years alive (avg of 20/day) "just don't be a dick and we will all get along"

very true. my late gram once said. most people running the gov are dumbass.

something peculiar is happening...... I'm playing with the core clocks on my 480 and its up to 1365 and temps have been dropping...

edit: up to 1380 without crashes or thermal issues.

edit2: 1380 got a failed checkpoint.