Radeon RX 7900 XT PCB Layout Leaks Out: Reveals AMD's Chiplet Design, 24GB VRAM Configuration and 450W Power Specs

BiG StroOnZ

Summary

Igor’s Lab has illustrated the PCB for the upcoming Radeon RX 7900 XT. He says his drawing is based on real information he’s received. In order to protect his sources, it’s an artistic rendering of the PCB in crude form, but it still provides some interesting information. Igor says his “artwork” is based on real circuit boards and blueprints sent to him, but he can’t share them for obvious reasons. It looks like AMD's Radeon RX 7900 XT will feature seven chipets, 24GB of memory, and a maximum power draw of 450 watts. 

AMD-RX-7900XT-PCB.thumb.jpg.97aa901e49eba38b3de2e2086454f7bf.jpg

navirdna3.thumb.jpg.819bede247a05697e43e304358a1ddcb.jpg

Quotes

The Radeon RX 7900 XT will use the codenamed Navi 31 GPU based on the RDNA 3 architecture. With RDNA 3, AMD has stated that they can deliver power efficiency (performance per watt) increases of over 50% when compared to RDNA 2. AMD's RDNA 3 GPUs will feature re-architected compute units, next-gen Infinity Cache, an optimized graphics pipeline, and enhanced ray tracing capabilities

We can see that AMD's RDNA 3 GPU core uses seven chiplets, six smaller chiplets, which are expected to be memory controller chiplets (MCDs), and a larger chiplet (GCD) that is expected to be AMD's compute/graphics die. All interconnected using AMD's Infinity Fabric. The GCD will be more complex than AMD's current-generation Navi 21 GPU, and deliver substantially more performance.

Based on the VRAM chips and chiplet design shown, AMD's RDNA 3 flagship is expected to feature a 24GB frame buffer that uses twelve 2GB (16Gb) GDDR6 modules over a 384-bit memory bus. This memory bus is divided over six chiplets, each of which controls two GDDR6 DRAM chips over a 64-bit memory bus. 

We can also see that AMD's alleged RX 7900 XT design uses three 8-pin (6+2-pin) PCIe power connectors, giving this GPU a maximum power draw of 450W using these three connectors (and 75W from the PCIe 4.0 x16 slot, if AMD uses Gen4). This does not rule out that AMD will use 16-pin 12VHPWR connectors, though, but thus far we have not seen any indication of that.

The card is equipped with 21 voltage converters, which should be divided between GPU, memory, SOC and VDDCI.

It is revealed that the card has four display connectors, three DisplayPorts and one HDMI. There is no information on the standard supported, but it is very likely to be DisplayPort 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 at this point. It looks like AMD is ditching USB Type-C display connectors with this release. 

According to the rumors, AMD RX 7900XT should feature full Navi 31 GPU with 12288 Stream Processors.

My thoughts

From the looks of it, AMD is not afraid of high power consumption for its next-Gen product, much like NVIDIA is; seems they are both going in the same direction in that regard. Although, senior director of marketing for AMD gaming, Sasa Marinkovic tweeted “bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better” after RTX 4090 pics leaked. AMD might be going more conservative in its design then, because even though maximum board power of the card is 450 watts, the actual TBP should be far below that. Regardless, it looks like AMD will be quite competitive again for next-Gen judging by the specs of this card. I'm interested in seeing how the chiplet design pays off, latency wise. Should be interesting to see frametime variance tests (frame pacing) coming back into play; like when they were prominent some years back. Supposedly, November is the rumored launch date for RDNA3 GPUs. Which will be right around NVIDIA's launch for Ada. So it will be interesting to see if that pans out, as if they both launch around the same time, AMD won't be late to the party.

Sources

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/radeon_rx_7900_xt_pcb_design_leaks_reveals_amd_s_chiplet_design_vram_configuration_and_power_specs/1

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7900xt-pcb-layout-leaks-out-with-navi-31-gpu-and-three-8-pin-power-connectors

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88455/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-pcb-layout-navi-31-gpu-7-chiplets-up-to-450w/index.html

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/alleged-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-pcb-diagram-leaks-out/

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/339584-radeon-rx-7900-xt-pcb-illustrated-based-on-insider-info

https://www.techpowerup.com/298895/amd-rdna3-radeon-rx-7000-flagship-gpu-pcb-sketched

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-board-design-memory-power

My first through when seeing the 6 smaller chiplets around the big one was that they were the ram, missing the chips on the outside. So AMD decided to break out the memory controllers? I wonder if that's because it gives them more options on memory type e.g. HBM?

I guess it is also a (small) saving for lower configuration memory offerings down the road too.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

My first through when seeing the 6 smaller chiplets around the big one was that they were the ram, missing the chips on the outside. So AMD decided to break out the memory controllers? I wonder if that's because it gives them more options on memory type e.g. HBM?

I guess it is also a (small) saving for lower configuration memory offerings down the road too.

It gives them more margin, the GPU is on newer more expensive 5nm, memory controllers on more mature 6nm, which is cheaper. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

It gives them more margin, the GPU is on newer more expensive 5nm, memory controllers on more mature 6nm, which is cheaper. 

That's a tradeoff between silicon cost and packaging/manufacturability complexity therefore cost. In a way not new since they've been doing it since Zen 2, just new to GPU.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

That's a tradeoff between silicon cost and packaging/manufacturability complexity therefore cost. In a way not new since they've been doing it since Zen 2, just new to GPU.

Considering both Intel and Nvidia have been trying to copy this approach I think it is working. AMD has figured out how to make infinity fabric not bottleneck their stuff so they can now use it like this. But I think they still can't do super high speed/bandwidth connections, that's why there is only one graphics die, if they figure out that too they will be using multiple smaller chips for graphics side too. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Where are all the PSUs thet have 12-pin power? Though more demanded by Nvidia in near future, still  12-pin seems to become a standard.

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Where are all the PSUs thet have 12-pin power?

You can already buy some, but others are only coming soon. 

Silverstone HELA 850R

Seasonic Vertex series

MSI MEG AI1000P and AI1300P

Lian Li SP850

Spoiler

Looking forward to the reviews, that's for sure.

Just too bad I have to wait until 2023 for something for affordable to come out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Considering both Intel and Nvidia have been trying to copy this approach I think it is working.

Multiple chips on a substrate is not new, even if it is made famous by AMD CPUs since Zen 2. It's a more common thing on mobile CPUs, but my first multi-chip consumer desktop CPU was Intel Broadwell. At the end of the day it is a tradeoff of various things. AMD thinks it works best for them in some areas, that's fine, but they're not using it everywhere e.g. APUs. It's up for each company and product offering to decide what is best.

AMD has figured out how to make infinity fabric not bottleneck their stuff so they can now use it like this.

It is really bad on Ryzen if you do anything more serious than Cinebench. Why do you think they're throwing on ever bigger caches to help get around it? I'm still looking forward to see what they're doing with Zen 4. Can single CCD Zen 4 CPUs make full use of DDR5 bandwidth? Or is that why they're moving to iGPU as standard?

I see it as much less of a problem on a GPU since it is inherently more parallel. Data is more predictable than on multi-core CPUs.

But I think they still can't do super high speed/bandwidth connections, that's why there is only one graphics die, if they figure out that too they will be using multiple smaller chips for graphics side too. 

It takes the silicon edge or better interconnects to do that. Apple are using whatever TSMC's version of it is already, I can't remember the name right now. Again, it will come at a cost, and it has to be worth doing it for a given product design. Intel have EMIB but I think for now it is only really used on supercomputing products and upcoming server CPUs.

honestly hope its gonna be a good card, also noticed in the last couple of days that the Video Core Next in which a new column was added that was AV1 encoding, so i keep my hopes up it will have it and then i will very likely get one, once price goes down a bit

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

I won't buy it, as I just see this as being a potential driver nightmare, but I'm very interested to see how it performs. I hope we actually see massive increases in performance. 

There's a 4k 144hz monitor in my future and I need something to drive it. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Where's the 6X? 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet  

1 hour ago, diegoaccord said:

Where's the 6X? 

Look at the die and you'll see the 6 spots around the "I/O" chip

Funny how no one is mentioning the 450 watts when the same people be crying about Nvidia using 450 lol.  So was all this famboyism or what?

Amyine know if this will be faster then 4090?  Haven’t seen any leaks,  exited to buy which ever is fastest in 4K 

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

5 hours ago, WarbossChoppa said:

Look at the die and you'll see the 6 spots around the "I/O" chip

I meant GDDR6X memory.

4 hours ago, Shzzit said:

Funny how no one is mentioning the 450 watts when the same people be crying about Nvidia using 450 lol.  So was all this famboyism or what?

Amyine know if this will be faster then 4090?  Haven’t seen any leaks,  exited to buy which ever is fastest in 4K 

I think its because Nvidia moved the bar yet further, so now AMD next gen being 450, seems great compared to this gen Nvidia running the same, especially when AMD's next gen *should* be much more powerful than what Nvidia did at 450.

That's just a thought as to why the leeway. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X- Asus ROG Strix X670E-A DDR5 5600 32GB CL32 -Asus Strix Nvidia RTX 4090 -Lian Li Lancool 3
4.5TB storage; 3xM.2 NVME, 1xHDD.
MSI A1000G -Acer CB282K- Corsair H150i, Corsair fan exh, x3 Lian Li intake fans, x3 Lian Li lower fans
Corsair K57- Redragon Vampire Elite
Lenovo AMD A6/R4 Laptop

XBOX Series X, PS5, Switch, Dreamcast

Fun cars - Evo X built cammed 6266, Mustang S550 NA Cammed Cobrajet  

4 hours ago, Shzzit said:

450 MAX. Which means it will be 350-400 real consumption. Just like current cards. 

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Shzzit said:

Nvidia was getting heat (HAH! Get it? 🙃) because of the 600W-800W rumors, which were obviously BS but whatever, I tried to say no way not ever. Nvidia does sell GPUs with those sorts of TGP/TDP but they are Tesla compute cards not consumer air cooled cards for standard form factor cases and standard PSU's.

450W is fine, 450W Nvidia consumer cards have already existed from AIB's so just more of the same.

3 hours ago, ZetZet said:

450 MAX. Which means it will be 350-400 real consumption. Just like current cards. 

I’m hoping these new gpus are gonna be really good, I personally have never cared about watt usage.  But it is annoying having to upgrade my PSU also.  

With EVGA gone I might just go AMD this time, very sad, EVGA we’re my favorite. 

Also pretty crazy we might see stock 3000+ gpus and 6000mhz cpus, what a time.

You guys thinking a 1200 watt psu or 1600 for the new stuff coming out?  The top end GPU from either company with the 24 core intel or up coming ryzen 16 core.  

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

Interesting, I did expect a larger die. Also since it's MCM I wonder why not with latest HBM though, isn't it supposed to be cheaper quite a bit by now, lower consumption and yea faster. Solid memory buffer.

I take it with custom cards we may see even more memory, new power connector. We'll see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Interesting, I did expect a larger die. Also since it's MCM I wonder why not with latest HBM though, isn't it supposed to be cheaper quite a bit by now, lower consumption and yea faster. Solid memory buffer.

I take it with custom cards we may see even more memory, new power connector. We'll see.

Cheaper than GDDR6 or GDDR6X?

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Cheaper than GDDR6 or GDDR6X?

No, of course not, but in very start it was quite more expensive yet still used back then on older GPU and with each gen it's supposedly getting cheaper. So I'd expect maybe viable at least for flagship. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

No, of course not, but in very start it was quite more expensive yet still used back then on older GPU and with each gen it's supposedly getting cheaper. So I'd expect maybe viable at least for flagship. 

But in this particular generation they either expected to sell to miners with insane margins or to gamers with extremely low ones, so in no scenario they would want to actually spend extra for performance. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ZetZet said:

But in this particular generation they either expected to sell to miners with insane margins or to gamers with extremely low ones, so in no scenario they would want to actually spend extra for performance. 

I mean, they're the only ones who know exactly how it would fit in their design and all. Just saying, they did HBM GPU before with first gen when it was new and very expensive, to save on power. Now, few games later, also improved, price was said to be lower. Especially with new high end GPU they could benefit from it.

As we're not engineers, would be great to hear some official take on HBM option. Maybe around release we may get some extra info we'll see.

The infinity cache is smaller than last gen. 

128MB 6900XT

96MB 7900XT

Does anyone have an idea why that could be?

I guess the wider bus probably helps.