Actually offended for the first time

David Plowie

Hello all,

Long time fan, OG floatplane subscriber.

I've always been a big supporter and the WAN show is my go to podcast for the commute.

Just finished listening to last week's and got to say I'm actually pretty annoyed at what Linus said about the Queen.

Seemed really tone deaf and frankly disrespectful. By trying to explain it he just doubled down and made it worse.

It doesn't matter that you didn't know her, think she serves no purpose or the idea of a monarchy is outdated.

Particularly for those of us in the UK this is a big deal and to hear you frankly just belittle something that means so much to millions and millions of people is just bad form.

I'm disappointed.

Sometimes I think Linus is too honest for his own good.

"Meh" is my response to Linus's comments and her passing.

I'm from a commonwealth country.

In my culture, when someone passes away after 90, we tend to celebrate the person's long life and contribution to the society instead of going all shocked and heartbroken. Sure the Queen is someone's loved one and they will definitely mourn her passing but she has already done enough and it's time to rest and be in a better place.

What I find more offensive is that people who live in entirely different places and have to deal with a stupid and obsolete system imposed to them through colonial means are now expected to care that the 96 year old monarch is dead. The UK should get over the fact that overall it's now a pretty irrelevant country and people across the world don't have to automatically respect their centuries out of date customs. If I were you I'd question my attachment to someone born into wealth and power at the expense of your and others' countries' people and who endeavored to perpetuate a system which caused the starvation of millions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

CTpkdGHWoAAjcDb.jpg

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Okay, congratulations?  

You're offended.  Good Job.  Be offended.  Nobody really cares.

England has a really fuckin' shit history, and the Monarchy is a very very integral part of that history.  There are tens, and hundreds of millions of people around the world who aren't especially thrilled with the monarchy existing still.  So...  yeah.  

5 hours ago, David Plowie said:

Hello all,

Long time fan, OG floatplane subscriber.

I've always been a big supporter and the WAN show is my go to podcast for the commute.

Just finished listening to last week's and got to say I'm actually pretty annoyed at what Linus said about the Queen.

Seemed really tone deaf and frankly disrespectful. By trying to explain it he just doubled down and made it worse.

It doesn't matter that you didn't know her, think she serves no purpose or the idea of a monarchy is outdated.

Particularly for those of us in the UK this is a big deal and to hear you frankly just belittle something that means so much to millions and millions of people is just bad form.

I'm disappointed.

Can you give me a TL;DR of his comments? A quick summary of his position? I didn't catch the WAN show.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The UK is real

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Okay, congratulations?  

You're offended.  Good Job.  Be offended.  Nobody really cares.

England has a really fuckin' shit history, and the Monarchy is a very very integral part of that history.  There are tens, and hundreds of millions of people around the world who aren't especially thrilled with the monarchy existing still.  So...  yeah.  

IMHO, the UK has a rash of individuals whose conception of the value/importance of the UK is over-exaggerated to say the least.  Largely from England, as the Welsh generally try hard to be amicable, the Scots are equally pissed at everyone, and the Northern Irish don't want us to remember that they are part of the crown.

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

The UK is real

The way some politicians over there are working things, it may not be for too much longer.  

6 minutes ago, IPD said:

The UK is real

Pfft, next you'll be asking me to believe there are such things as birds. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

39 minutes ago, tkitch said:

The way some politicians over there are working things, it may not be for too much longer.  

36 minutes ago, Middcore said:

That's what happens when you start to type a message, end up clicking "quote" on something, and then don't see your original text anywhere before hitting enter.  Oh well.  Funnier this way.

42 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You mean "government surveillance drones?"

TBH, I'm of the same mindset as Linus on this one. I don't really care. To me, the only truly disrespectful response would be him laughing about it.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Nice those people responding who see this as a chance to have a go at an entire country.

Well done - this is why people don't bother providing feedback or having a discussion to raise things their points.

Frankly it's racism - plain and simple.

How does a comment from a loyal viewer who is concerned about the way something was covered grant you permission to be racist? It doesn't - eat a dick.

Just now, David Plowie said:

What race are British people?

Think carefully about this one, now. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

43 minutes ago, David Plowie said:

Nice those people responding who see this as a chance to have a go at an entire country.

Well done - this is why people don't bother providing feedback or having a discussion to raise things their points.

How does a comment from a loyal viewer who is concerned about the way something was covered grant you permission to be racist? It doesn't - eat a dick.

Sorry - can you back up a minute? Who is being racist? And who are they being racist against?

I'm just a little confused about that.

Now, I'm not a Linus fanboy - he's an idiot some of the time and often has bad takes, but let's just all take a step back, take a deep breath, and come at this from a calmer perspective.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

50 minutes ago, David Plowie said:

Sorry to rain on your parade here, but seeing comments already, hint of politics dropped in and this comment, I think it's better to stop it right here and now. You have given your criticism, that doesn't give you any rights. People are free to disagree with your opinion and criticism. That's the fun part of open forums.

Also, race and nationality are two different things. Let's leave that at that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv