Black shaft delivery

Razercake
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

No we will start building black shaft drivers at the earliest possible opportunity regardless of the number of waves we add here.

So I fully understand that the black shaft is made to order, so it will one of the later deliveries. but I just noticed there now seems to be more waves on the screwdriver page? going all the way to march 20th.(I don't recall it going that far before)

"UNITS WITH THE BLACK SHAFT MAY DELAY BEYOND THESE DATES AS THOSE ARE LIMITED RUN & BUILT TO ORDER."

Really congratulations on the success(you are almost through wave 5 🥳), just wondering if this will affect the delivery of limited run screwdriver? was at least hoping to get it sometime in January 😅 either way looking forward to upgrading from my Xiaomi 16-1 its a bit chunky in the hand.

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

Awesome to hear, thanks for the quick reply. looking forward to its arrival 😁 & again, congrats on the success! the next thing on my list will definitely be the cable management product that was teased a few days ago. 

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

3 hours ago, DeerDK said:

spacer.png

Linus Troll Tips knows exactly what they're doing.  I can't wait for the pink shaft.  It'll probably be smaller, though.

Has there been anything mentioned about what kind of a date they're targeting with the black shaft drivers?

I ordered one before I knew that shipment would be delayed.  I wonder if they will swap out the orange endcap for black considering...

16 minutes ago, charleya said:

I ordered one before I knew that shipment would be delayed.  I wonder if they will swap out the orange endcap for black considering...

Yeah, same here. My order still says I'm in Wave 2, though. It'd just be good to know how they're going to be doing them so we had a bit of a timeline.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:59 PM, LinusTech said:

No we will start building black shaft drivers at the earliest possible opportunity regardless of the number of waves we add here.

I already contacted support with this question, but maybe you can already add something for it.

I want to order the black shaft one, but I also want PZ bits. If I wanted the regular one, I would just wait until I can order both, but with the black one there is a good chance I have to order that before the PZ bits are available.

Do you know when the PZ bits could be available, or could they be made to be preordered, so that I can submit a complete order?

PZ bits are far out. We didn't realize people would want them and had no order placed at all so they will be quite slow to produce/ship. 

I'm sorry 😞

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

PZ bits are far out. We didn't realize people would want them and had no order placed at all so they will be quite slow to produce/ship. 

I'm sorry 😞

How far out? We talking months or more like a year?

On 9/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, LinusTech said:

I'm sorry 😞

Are PZ bits not common over that side of the pond?

They're the go-to bit over here, I rarely use any of the PH bits because pretty much everything has replaced them with the PZ equivalent?

Would you consider an 'international standard' bit set that replaces square drive bits with PZ bits as they are quite literally worthless here

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

22 years working in automotive shops, never once have I seen a PZ bit. I didnt even realize they were a thing till they started being talked about on this board. I have roughly $40,000 in tools/storage and have been going through all my bit sets and I dont have a single pz bit, only ph. I guess its just a big difference between NA market compared to international. What am I missing here though, like a PZ bit to me just looks like a reinforced PH bit? Is there more to it?

4 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

22 years working in automotive shops, never once have I seen a PZ bit. I didnt even realize they were a thing till they started being talked about on this board. I have roughly $40,000 in tools/storage and have been going through all my bit sets and I dont have a single pz bit, only ph. I guess its just a big difference between NA market compared to international. What am I missing here though, like a PZ bit to me just looks like a reinforced PH bit? Is there more to it?

The screws have extra indentations, making them better to work with. What are Pozidriv screws? - Fastener Engineering

I personally don't use them that often anymore, because appliances rarely use them, and for wood etc I use TX20 screws, but I do still encounter them quite often.

Yeah I just had no idea they mattered. We are working on it but it will take some time. 

21 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

afaik all cross-head screws used for any Ikea furniture is PZ

21 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I don't think it's possible to buy a multi-bit set here and for it to not come with at least 1 PZ1 and PZ2 bit!

The only screws that I use with any regularity that still use PH bits are drywall screws. Even doing electrical work, most screws on anything new is PZ, it's only on older switches, sockets and 'breaker boxes' that I come across PH.

Even working on family and friend's cars, pretty much everything has been Torx, that's with French, German and Japanese cars, I honestly can't recall the last time I used a PH bit on a car!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

2 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I don't think it's possible to buy a multi-bit set here and for it to not come with at least 1 PZ1 and PZ2 bit!

The only screws that I use with any regularity that still use PH bits are drywall screws. Even doing electrical work, most screws on anything new is PZ, it's only on older switches, sockets and 'breaker boxes' that I come across PH.

Even working on family and friend's cars, pretty much everything has been Torx, that's with French, German and Japanese cars, I honestly can't recall the last time I used a PH bit on a car!

German definitely loaded with torx, french I never work on here in NA but Japanese cars have quite a few ph, far more than they have torx but generally they are either ph or regular socketed heads. The exception is seatbelt bolts are almost always large scale torx on the the majority of vehicles I have ever seen.

2 hours ago, Hypnotoad said:

afaik all cross-head screws used for any Ikea furniture is PZ

Now that you mention that I think you are right, I think thats all PZ

18 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

German definitely loaded with torx, french I never work on here in NA but Japanese cars have quite a few ph, far more than they have torx but generally they are either ph or regular socketed heads. The exception is seatbelt bolts are almost always large scale torx on the the majority of vehicles I have ever seen.

Now that you mention that I think you are right, I think thats all PZ

Pretty much everything I've done on our 2008 and 2012 Nissans have been either been Torx or as you say regular socket heads. Well, anything stock anyway, our 2012 X-Trail was an ex-first responder Doctor's car, so had the lights and sirens installed with what appeared to be wood screws!

I only live a few miles away from the Nissan factory, so given that they have different models for different regions, I wonder if they use different fixings for the NA cars? 

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

It's not ideal, but it's worth noting that PH1 and PH2 bits fit PZ1 and PZ2 screws. There's a tiny bit of wiggle because PH has tapered blades unlike PZ, but unless you need some serious torque a PH bit will work fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

It's not ideal, but it's worth noting that PH1 and PH2 bits fit PZ1 and PZ2 screws. There's a tiny bit of wiggle because PH has tapered blades unlike PZ, but unless you need some serious torque a PH bit will work fine.

It depends, I've had some situations where a PH bit fits pretty much perfectly in a PZ screw, but other situations where they slip with very little torque. I also find that with some of the screws that come included (which you should never use, always use your own decent screws!), they're made of such cheap metal they round off when you use the wrong bit

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

Pretty much everything I've done on our 2008 and 2012 Nissans have been either been Torx or as you say regular socket heads. Well, anything stock anyway, our 2012 X-Trail was an ex-first responder Doctor's car, so had the lights and sirens installed with what appeared to be wood screws!

I only live a few miles away from the Nissan factory, so given that they have different models for different regions, I wonder if they use different fixings for the NA cars? 

I was wondering if you were talking about Nissan specifically when you said Japanese. They definitely have more torx than say a honda/Acura or toyota/lexus. I can think off the top of my head a couple places where they have torx universally like behind the hood releases holding the plastic dash pad on. But then it gets odd, like sometimes the radios are held to the dash with torx, sometimes PH, same with the screws going into the side of the radio through the metal brackets. The BCM is another one that sometimes is held in with PH, sometimes torx, sometimes a weird proprietary bolt that ive only seen from them. The shrouds around the columns are pretty universally PH, as is the fasteners for the speakers are generally 8mm-10mm bolts with PH centers. Basically consistency isnt  at the top of their list for priorities lol

I would like to get back on topic and hopefully recieve updates on black shaft delivery in this thread 😅