Have you ever wasted money on useless future proofing?

Probably lol.

Sometimes I wonder why people think 2x VRAM cards are good, for instance the 780 6gb:  I get around ~40-80 FPS when I use close to 3gb, and that was with my cards at 1320 on the core and 7600 on the memory.

To use THAT much vram there's so many things happening and so many textures on the screen I just don't think GPU's can handle that much yet, maybe in 2 gens, but certainly not now

After seeing 4x titans with a 3930k @ 5ghz barely holding 60 FPS at 4-5gb of vram in multiple AAA games, I wonder why people think getting those cards will benefit them :q

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have an ATX case for an MATX Motherboard. I'm probably not even gonna upgrade this machine's motherboard

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Swiftech H220 paired with an 8350. I leave my CPU at stock most of the time or with a 100 mhz oc. waste.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Have I ever wasted money, arguably yes.

Was it based on "future proofing", not really, but that could be argued I suppose.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Have you ever wasted money on useless future proofing?- ( ericlee30 )Every single day of my life :D but hey you only live once, right.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

my two 780s are future proof. I have decided this. Do not poke holes in my logic. They will last FOREVER!

I also have an 8350 with a AIO water cooler (H100i) at stock speeds. I got it for the silence though. Bought it for the silence and the stock fans sound like (someone on the corsair forums put it best) a tractor idling. buhh. Ordering a pair NF-F12s but they don't match my green/black build sadly :(

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Most of what I bought was well within my budget, and good enough to last me for at least 3-4+ years. The only thing I went all out nuts on was a Seasonic 560W 80+ GOLD PSU. $150 or so, iirc. 

A good PSU is worth every penny. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Well, I bought a 1080p monitor for future gaming uses a while back. If nothing goes my way - it will go horribly - then at least I have a larger screen to use for other productive uses, like reading TV Tropes and watching cat videos at the same time.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I've actually made pretty good use of my hardware.

There were times where I've been thankful that I had more than 16gb of ram

And when I'm not really using my pc (browsing the net) it does folding @ home

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Yes, I definitely did by trying to futureproof. Back in 2012 when I needed to replace my then-9-year-old Gateway POS, I didn't have any knowledge of the enthusiast community whatsoever so I looked at a bunch of HP and Dell models and thought a 3770 + 12GB DDR3 + 2TB Barracuda + GT 640 OEM GDDR5 was pretty good at $999. I thought the i7 + GT 640 was a great way to future-proof. I was being outrageously stupid and ignorant because the GT 640 is not a great card, but it's special all the same (I'm still debating whether I should spend the 5 minutes explaining the GT 640 OEM GDDR5 every time I get asked, or if I should just keep it at 1058mHz core and call it a GTX 650). The $999 was really not worth it. Plus, did I mention that Dell makes horrible cases, fans and coolers?

Had I decided to actually learn about building computers, I could have been rocking a 3770K/660 [Ti] build for just a little more (don't get all worked up, stuff was amazingly cheap that time of year for some reason or another). Instead, while I've been trying to put that build behind me, but I'm still stuck with this GTX 650 (yep, that's what I'm going to call it from now on).

I just make sure to re-up my future-proofing with a new future-proof build every two years or so.

future proofing works but it only happens at unique moments

i bought my first pc in 2007

it had a QX6700 its was the first ever quad core cpu it lasted me from 2007- 2011 it could have lasted me longer if i only could overclock it but it wasnt stable anymore because of its long age .The GPU was a 8800GTX it was an insanely powerful GPU at the time it would max out everything ATi at the time got destroyed nothing could even touch the 8xxx series GPU not to mention it was the first dx10 GPU normally buy a GPU when a new DX is supported. at the time i also had a 30 inch 1600p IPS monitor which i still use the only thing i kept upgrading was the GPU every ~3 years i would upgrade i jumped from a 8800gtx to a 570 and soon i will jump to a maxwell 

currently i have a 2600k which is a great overclocker and also 8 threaded for future proofing since in some years 8 threads might be used a lot :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Theres no such thing as "future proofing". Technology only improves everyday. So, you can only make upgrades in the future to compensate for new technology. (I hope that sounds right :D)

Not everyday, it's been years since a new GPU architecture and everything delays.

DDR3 is old yet the standard.

20NM isn't here.

1080p is the only affordable monitor standard and it's been for years.

Bought a 4GB 770 :(

to be fair, I was only starting to get into hardware and I got very little input on it.

ps: i love how "future proofing" gets a worse reaction than Apple products, usually from people with very high end stuff :)

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Are those the 4 gigaBITEs or 6 gigaBITEs version?

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

I also bought a 990fx sli ready board and haven't upgraded. I only bought it because I couldn't bear the thought of getting rid of my gtx 760 if I upgrade. STUPID!!

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

my two 780s are future proof. I have decided this. Do not poke holes in my logic. They will last FOREVER!

I also have an 8350 with a AIO water cooler (H100i) at stock speeds. I got it for the silence though. Bought it for the silence and the stock fans sound like (someone on the corsair forums put it best) a tractor idling. buhh. Ordering a pair NF-F12s but they don't match my green/black build sadly :(

Maybe get some Be quiet! fans.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I wasn't trying to future proof (also no such thing) but I did waste money going from an MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Power Edition to an MSI GeForce GTX 660 Gaming, most of the games I play I can't see much of a difference. The only thing I've really noticed is the GPU Folding but I fell in love with the 660 (sexy cooler) and had the £150 doing nothing so I bought it.

No regrets :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

What is future proofing? How would you describe future proofing?

If it means that you buy parts and intend to upgrade in small steps (for example buy one GPU now and another later) then that's useless most of the time. If your upgrade process takes too long, you never get to the point where the pc is finished because something is always out of date.

What I think of future proofing, is buying components that aren't outdated immediately. Of course there is going to be something more powerful eventually but if the older parts can still keep up, there's no need to upgrade and you have in a sense future proofed your pc. For example my current rig will probably last for me at least three to four years. It's now almost one year old and it doesn't feel outdated or slow and it can play all the current games at max settings (at least 1080p). The next step for me is probably skipping 2.5K and going straight for 4K. Obviously two 780's aren't enough for playing upcoming games at max settings but that's OK for me. I never intended buying parts that would run 4K properly (and even now there really isn't anything reasonable priced solutions for maxing out 4K).

So in the end it depends what you require from your pc. If you accept the fact that your components are going to get slightly outdated over time and you don't have to play games at max settings for the entire lifetime of your pc, then buying the right components can make your pc last longer.

And I think there are at least some components that can be "future proof". For example case, keyboard, sound card, mouse, speakers, headphones and even screens can last you for years if you buy the right parts from the start.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

From an attempt at a fun discussion to video ram arguments, good ol' linus community. 

Maybe change "useless future proofing" to "failed grand ideas" lol, it's like walking on eggshells around here today!  But I went through like 3 different cases back in the X58 days with my i7-920 and GTX 480 with the plans of getting another 480 and water cooling everything.   

Well, I have a big case (NZXT Phantom) and I don't really use the extra space. (Single short GPU, 1 HDD, 120mm AIO, etc.) I guess I can't really count it since it was a present but one day I hope to have enough money to fill this case. (I don't plan on replacing it anytime for years.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245