Dream Has Too Much Money (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

Arent you guys being Toxic for complaining about who Linus does business, everyone has a sketchy past who cares, stop acting like everyone one of you are innocent and never done something sketchy, toxic etc etc. 

Does anything that happens with youtube drama really affect how you live your life? Do you lose money, lose sleep because of what someone did online? No... 

But back on track what the video is actually about it is insane how much one of those servers are, I guess for a high volume youtubers it would make sense, I wonder if I can get my work to sign off on something like that hmmmm 

10 hours ago, xg32 said:

But ya, seems like a business decision, dream has 30m subs

I think the main problem is what Linus says x how Linus acts. There's an example of the newegg problem that Steven from Gamer Nexus had, on the WAN show after the first video Linus said that he cares more about ethics than money, so he wouldn't collab with shady companies like newegg if they acted like that.

Then a few months after that he collabs with hasanabi, dream, pewdiepie and more, just for business decisions while saying that he wouldn't do that when something bad happens

18 minutes ago, agatong439 said:

Arent you guys being Toxic for complaining about who Linus does business, everyone has a sketchy past who cares, stop acting like everyone one of you are innocent and never done something sketchy, toxic etc etc. 

Does anything that happens with youtube drama really affect how you live your life? Do you lose money, lose sleep because of what someone did online? No... 

Smart take, bro. Me, you, Dream, David Duke, we're all pretty sketch amirite lol. Who are we to judge? Everyone is morally equivalent and the universe trends inexorably toward entropy anyway so why should I care about anything that doesn't directly impact my day-to-day comfort on the way to the grave? Selfish, sociopathic nihilism is so freeing! Buy products, consume media, eat Arby's. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

***RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.***

Depending on how much data Dream writes to the NVMe headnode, this can potentially be a TERRIBLE idea.

The Kioxia CM6-R 30 TB drives has a write endurance of of 1 drive writes per day (30 TB).

If they have set up the storage headnode as a raidz2 (5 drives + 2 for parity), that means that distributed across those 5 data drives, they can be writing 150 TB/day.

This means that if the sustained data rate, over the course of a day, is higher than 1736 MB/s, they will wear out the drives by the time the warranty expires.

Any faster than that, and they will wear out the SSDs before the warranty expires.

I'm not sure if there's a way to pass the NVMe drives as L2ARC for the hard-drive-based server, but if you could have passed the NVMe drives over fabric so that the hard-drive-based server would be able to see it and use it as L2ARC, I would have done that instead, because the Kioxia CM6-R 30 TB NVMe SSDs are designed as read-intensive SSDs (per their product brief: https://business.kioxia.com/content/dam/kioxia/shared/business/ssd/doc/eSSD-CM6-R-product-brief.pdf) and NOT write-intensive drives.

The Kioxia CM6-V 12 TB are for mixed enterprise use, which means that it has a write endurance of 3 drive writes per day.

Dual 25 GbE.

mehhhh.......

My Ryzen system is rocking a Mellanox ConnectX-4 dual 100 Gbps Infiniband NIC.

IB >>> ETH

42 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

I've always detested this argument, because it assumes all harm is equivalent. Murder is not the same as jaywalking, and to say to forgive the murderer because I was once a jaywalker is incredibly disingenuous and offensive to people who have suffered extensive harm.

It's not toxic of me to point out that the individual Linus is working with used his public profile and large influence to smear the reputation of people who were just being honest, pointing out that Dream was cheating. He even paid someone to write a paper to "prove" they were wrong. But they weren't, they never were, and he had been cheating all along. It's thoroughly disgusting behavior that isn't comparable to anything I have ever done in my life. So yes, if that's the bar for a "sketchy past" then I must be a saint who has done no wrong.

Who cares though? Does what Dream did or this Linus did in this video really change what you do in your life? No it does not. All it does it change your opinon on someone. So who really cares, Do you really think Linus or Dream is like omg I care about what Sakuriru thinks about what I have done in the past? 

Its your opinon about someone not someone elses, people just want to state there opinon to try to change someone else opinon other than that it doesnt change your life whats so ever. 

If you dont like the person then dont follow them period, but getting upset at Linus because of a video is childish.

38 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Smart take, bro. Me, you, Dream, David Duke, we're all pretty sketch amirite lol. Who are we to judge? Everyone is morally equivalent and the universe trends inexorably toward entropy anyway so why should I care about anything that doesn't directly impact my day-to-day comfort on the way to the grave? Selfish, sociopathic nihilism is so freeing! Buy products, consume media, eat Arby's. 

See you get it 🙂 Again does what a youtuber say or do really affect your life? No, Does it change your opinon? Yes, but you arent losing sleep, money or anything about what someone does in a video. Its all about opinons and everyone has a different one, but to get mad at someone about a video that has a different opinon then yours about what someone should do or say is childish all around. 

Anyone have that Michael Jackson popcorn gif. I have a mighty need.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, rcmaehl said:

Anyone have that Michael Jackson popcorn gif. I have a mighty need.

giphy

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

giphy

Blocked at work. I could add myself to the exception group, but then I'd have to wait for it to sync and that can take upwards of 2 hours because cloud based service hosting, etc etc.

Don't grow old

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Blocked at work. I could add myself to the exception group, but then I'd have to wait for it to sync and that can take upwards of 2 hours because cloud based service hosting, etc etc.

Don't grow old

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d64ac6f20b2bb1b298

giphy.webp

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, kumicota said:

i don't know what hasan did (or is it for the joke he did years ago), the other 2 names were also on mrbeast videos, no1's gonna cancel him for dream+ pewdiepie,  As far as severity goes, this just isn't even close to a theoretical collab with newegg, or worth the popcorn.

People can still talk about their discontent of course, but this is kinda petty.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 hours ago, agatong439 said:

But back on track what the video is actually about it is insane how much one of those servers are, I guess for a high volume youtubers it would make sense, I wonder if I can get my work to sign off on something like that hmmmm 

Are you complaining about random people complaining about Linus? 

You may believe that what we do is stupid or whatever, but we are trying to hold Linus accountable for his claims.

2 hours ago, agatong439 said:

See you get it 🙂 Again does what a youtuber say or do really affect your life? No, Does it change your opinon? Yes, but you arent losing sleep, money or anything about what someone does in a video. Its all about opinons and everyone has a different one, but to get mad at someone about a video that has a different opinon then yours about what someone should do or say is childish all around. 

It could affect your life if you or someone you care about are a victim of doxxing and death threats created by their community because a guy with too much money in Florida disagrees with you.

While you aren't necessarily wrong it's more, so people feel that there's a contradiction between the ethics that Linus talks about having and leading LMG with and what actions are taken by LMG. Like yeah Linus can make a server for the leader of the KKK and it doesn't directly affect me it just means I'll probably just avoid watching it because I don't really want to give money to someone who will do a collab with a white supremacist.

3 hours ago, agatong439 said:

I've never driven someone to abandon social media, sent death threats to someone, and wrangled a hate mob to do those possibly leading to someone's suicide so if it's dealing with Dream I'm fine with saying I'm without sin and not sketchy. My sketchy past is calling a bully fat in elementary school and getting in a yelling fight about religion in middle school. It's really not the same as someone paying people to hold up a death to Jews sign, or being gleeful about harassing people.

5 hours ago, Nathat23 said:

Linus has said on WAN show that their subscriber growth is struggling and that most video clicks are from the recommanded section. This is an attempt to hook into the dream fanbase, and they most likely want the video go 'viral'.

Being annoyed at it isn't going to change anything, just like with the clickbait thumbnails. LTT is a business - they want to grow.

Maybe for most people it helps but I know for me personally the reason from the first time watching a LTT youtube video to now the closest thing to an LTT/LMG youtube channel I've subscribed to is Taran's personal channel and LinusCatTips which I won't watch any videos if they come up. As a consumer I shouldn't be expected to care about LTT wanting to grow. I don't want my subscriptions clogged with daily videos and stuff where I'll mostly not enjoy it.

I chose subscriptions since I'll probably want to watch the video with LTT and related channels I can't trust that I would do that because of the pure quantity, so it would be foolish to subscribe.

YouTuber drama aside, this one does feel like they're hamming it up even more than usual. For example, that hard drive drop looked staged. Why was there a random drive in the middle of the Gigabyte server's plastic wrap, teetering on the edge of the counter, after they already loaded the Storinator? 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, alpha754293 said:

***RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.***

Depending on how much data Dream writes to the NVMe headnode, this can potentially be a TERRIBLE idea.
The Kioxia CM6-R 30 TB drives has a write endurance of of 1 drive writes per day (30 TB).
This means that if the sustained data rate, over the course of a day, is higher than 1736 MB/s, they will wear out the drives by the time the warranty expires.

Highly unlikely that the two editors or whatever small crew they have is going to even scratch the endurance of these drives.  Cache drives are probably the only real way to wear one out and even then: it's a cache so if it dies it doesn't lead to data loss.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Three pages of comments, less than one page talking about tech. This is exactly what I expected when I saw the video come out.

Dream's done some shady things. Dream has done some straight up immoral things. Dream uses his power to threaten and send mobs to people far smaller than him.

Blah blah, "LtT gRoWtH" what about growing as a community? Setting an example of who you'll associate with, who you'll support? I don't care what LTT's rationale for this is. If I was still sub'd on Floatplane, I'd probably cancel it right now. "Vote with your wallet" and all that, right Linus? 

Even with higher rpm fans, how much airflow do you get when pushing through that many layers of drives?  Also while I know each drive costs 3x the cost of my entire computer, I thought it was pretty cool to see the 30tb SSDs, I didn't even know SSDs with that density existed (probably because I'm not even close to the target market.)

I thought the tech in the video was cool. I can't keep track of youtuber drama.

55 minutes ago, Greyspectre said:

Even with higher rpm fans, how much airflow do you get when pushing through that many layers of drives?  Also while I know each drive costs 3x the cost of my entire computer, I thought it was pretty cool to see the 30tb SSDs, I didn't even know SSDs with that density existed (probably because I'm not even close to the target market.)

those are consider cheap compare to the hpc ones.

that are 100 tb nimbus drives(40k each) there coming out with 200tb which my guess 50 or 60k each)

that the thing with  tech. there different teirs and such. most only know the most basic teir

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

56 minutes ago, Greyspectre said:

https://www.45drives.com/community/articles/thermal-evaluation/index.php

They know.  Effectively the drives themselves becomes fins of a heatsink with the airflow being sufficient between the gaps for a venturi effect on convection.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 6/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, CyberneticTitan said:

So as long as the video is just about tech it's okay with whoever LTT collabed with?

Sort of... If they make a NAS for KKK I'm out.. 

On 6/5/2022 at 10:23 PM, YeensBeans said:

There is a lot more to Dream than the gaming controversy.  He has a massive fanbase and yes while all fanbases can have some toxicity including LTT (This whole light switch firmware thing did bring out some of the crazies)  Dream actively weaponizes his. A few months ago someone criticized dream on twitter and instead of Dream just ignoring it, he replied attacking the person and his base followed him, to the extent of forcing the person to delete their online presence (people threatening to dox the kid?)   Anyways Dreams response was literally this:

This mindset is not healthy. Dream does later post that he "disapproves" of people doxing but that felt hollow.

This is from someone who subscribed back when dream still "small" and watched nearly every video of his up until that incident. I gave most of his other hijinks a pass but that doxing incident was enough to make me re-evaluate who I followed and watched.

People dismissing Dream controversy because they think it was just the cheating incident don't fully understand why people dislike him.

I don't care what "controversies" those kids have. I don't watch or support LTT for the ridiculous, childish drama.. I support LTT for the tech videos.. Could care less how others waste their time.. 

On 6/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, Middcore said:

So if (insert neo-Nazi/terrorist leader or whatever here) wanted Linus to do a "mega project with awesome hardware" they should do it?

LTT fans should be big enough to actually have some principles that matter to them beyond just drooling over gadgets. 

So you compare a youtuber to a neo-nazi terrorist leader .. Oh come on, grow up.. 

20 minutes ago, dongart(DK) said:

I don't care what "controversies" those kids have. I don't watch or support LTT for the ridiculous, childish drama.. I support LTT for the tech videos.. Could care less how others waste their time.. 

So you compare a youtuber to a neo-nazi terrorist leader .. Oh come on, grow up.. 

I didn't compare them, i pointed out that the logic "anybody is fair game if they want to do a project with awesome tech" doesn't hold up. Clearly everyone has a limit where they would say that reasoning no longer applies. (At least I hope; some people here may actually be purely amoral consumers.)

It's not really about the hardware anyway, because if you or I came to LTT and said we wanted to do something like this they would turn us down even if we have the money, because we're nobodies. LTT did this because Dream has a big following they want a piece of and that's it. So if they choose who they do projects with based on the benefits of working with that person they have to accept the backlash from the baggage that person has as well.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 6/6/2022 at 1:11 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

Yup, that's the exact approach to take.  There's enough legitimate things to be angry about in the world that some minor youtwit drama doesn't even move the needle.

I'll amusingly watch this thread play out Godwin's law.

1 hour ago, dongart(DK) said:

Sort of... If they make a NAS for KKK I'm out.. 

I guess it's close enough.

YO but like holy crap thats a butt ton of SSD storage. I barely fill 5 TB I cant imagine someone filling up near PBs! Jesus.

I would actually enable ARC for the NVME based system. Set it to handle metadata.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800