The Desk Made of Radiators can cool ANYTHING

AlexTheGreatish

Normally your desk just holds up a computer... But what if it cooled it too?

Check out Protocase: https://lmg.gg/2MK1L

Buy an Alphacool 560mm Radiator: https://geni.us/UEt8BgU

Buy an Alphacool Eisball RGB Reservoir: https://geni.us/AZbrO2

Buy an Intel Core i9-12900KS: https://geni.us/QcbZlJm

Buy an RTX 3090: https://geni.us/AoDLe

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Redd this as a desk made of Redditors.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Going back to the video where you used a much larger pump to force water through a CPU block and did notice that more flow affects performance.
That did make me curious, would a setup like this desk perform noticeably better if the rads were all in parallel?

It is a lot of radiators in series, so it would be a a fair bit less flow resistance for the water, and all pumps have lower flow at higher flow resistance. (unless it is a fixed displacement pump running at a fixed RPM, since then it just needs more power from the motor.)

But other than that it is an interesting desk idea.

The only things I would add/change would be a Flow meter or 4, Just so you can keep a EYE out on the Radiator flow.

And make the desk deeper so its around 80CM deep, as I like a deep desk.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

As a sound tech those janky mods in professional applications are the best things to think and laugh

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just don't use it as an eating surface. Unless you want chopped Cheetos all on your crotch.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Just don't use it as an eating surface. Unless you want chopped Cheetos all on your crotch.

That's just the new "Whopper-Chopper" feature it has - Chops ANYTHING that gets too close.

BTW is your desk leaking or did you just pee your pants?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Not sure I would trust that pump/res combo for long term or even 24/7 use - with that many 90 degree fittings even a D5 will have a hard time and it's not something you want to run on 100%. My D5 has been running 24/7 for the better part of SEVEN YEARS, but that's at a set 80% duty cycle (#4 on the pot). I run 5 blocks and 5 rads but only have a single 90 fitting in my system - everything else is either dual 45 or soft tube bend.

I would have done this desk way differently and it was an idea I actually pitched to Alex some time ago, although I can understand you guys just don't have the time (and resources) to delve into every user submitted project. Instead of using thin rads all across the table top you use those chunky 80mm thick ones outboard along the edges - significantly more cooling capacity and you can actually keep cool a server worth of CPU and multiple GPU easy. You incorporate a monitor stand that doubles as a massive tube res adding to the coolant volume to help dissipate the heat. As for power supplies, strap four 1600W units upside down underneath at the back, nicely cable managed along the rear and with enough juice to run ANYTHING. Then for the legs of the table you use a UPS+battery. Finish it off with a smoked glass table top, some well placed RGB and you have a workstation unlike any other.

And it's not made of steel/metal either - standard 5.5x1.5 wood beams just cut to length and simply bolted together using 0.3x3 hex head fasteners. No drilling, no stripping. I have my TV stand done exactly like this holding a 55 inch panel on a swivel mount and it's rock solid. Just a wood H frame mated to an inverted T - very strong. The same wood beams would form the feet of the table, and to handle the weight and make it movable, place four casters on each corner. Run some angles on it with a planer and apply some wood stain/varnish and you have a real furniture piece too. Working with wood is SO much more satisfying.

Turn fans around for summer.

Run rads in parallell.

Add a second pump.

Run fans at low rpm all the time - there is enough cooling that you don't have to ramp them up as long as you don go for totally passive.

Would really have liked to do something like this - but I already put my rad outside instead 🙂

2 hours ago, Luscious said:

Not sure I would trust that pump/res combo for long term or even 24/7 use - with that many 90 degree fittings even a D5 will have a hard time and it's not something you want to run on 100%. My D5 has been running 24/7 for the better part of SEVEN YEARS, but that's at a set 80% duty cycle (#4 on the pot). I run 5 blocks and 5 rads but only have a single 90 fitting in my system - everything else is either dual 45 or soft tube bend.

You're overestimating how much flow is needed and underestimating how strong a D5 is.  The rads by themselves are probably less restrictive combined than a single CPU block.   I've driven my desktop loop at 90lph and it was very minimal change going up to 275lph with everything cleaned.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

This whole concept would be way more interesting with normal hardware , like a 12700 / 5800x and a 3070 . Also putting the fan in the rear would probably help 🙂 

Not only did I foresee already that this desk would be anything but cool (temperature not "sweet"), but I think after a while (painful) indentations will be noticeable on your hands and arms where they rest on this desk. Doesn't putting on a large mouse mat hamper the cooling at that point because the hot air at that point can't go anywhere?

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You're overestimating how much flow is needed and underestimating how strong a D5 is.  The rads by themselves are probably less restrictive combined than a single CPU block.   I've driven my desktop loop at 90lph and it was very minimal change going up to 275lph with everything cleaned.

Probably because REALLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN when you underestimate the flow and push your pump too hard 🤣🤣🤣 Granted in this scenario the rads are all at the same level so the water doesn't really need to travel much vertical distance. Regardless every 90 degree fitting you use will take a hit on a pump's head pressure. Water will still flow but it will have a difficult time making it back to the pump. That's a typical sign when the weakest seals start to leak (and especially seals right near the pump's output rather than near it's return at the end of the loop). It's also why you don't want your pump "sucking" on the return - water should flow into the pump from the reservoir on it's own. Ideally you want a high-flow low-pressure setup so water can circulate quicker between the hot and cold points and have a more even strain on all the seals in your loop. That WILL depend on the complexity of the loop - mine requires a #4 on the pump to run properly, yours probably runs fine much slower. More coolant volume = more work for that single pump to handle.

In the middle of summer in AZ, it's cooling to stand under the exhaust of the metro train computer, even though it's the same air you're standing in.

Honestly I really just want the CAD file lol

To be honest, I am surprised people who make ergo system desks haven't tried something like this, especially if you are an Indie developer doing Virtual Production workflows with multiple 3090s running. Licensed from Protocase, the Red Harbingers and FlexiSpots of the world could probably turn a tidy profit from selling them in small batches. You could even use hard glass tubing with coloured coolant, or gold/silver tubing and fittings mixed wilth RGB fans to create some great configs.

I envisage only two flaws in making it retail-worthy. First, carry handles mounted each end would make it easier to move after a system is attached. The second is the desk obviosuly gets REALLY hot under load, so a separated glass layer would still be needed to rest peripherals (and your arms), whilst improving the aesthetic.
I would also set the fans to turn on at maybe 40-50 degrees; that way the desk would still be hot, but less likely to burn your hand...

I know Linus baulked at costs, but most decent, ergonomic chairs cost as much as $700 minimum. This desk is completely doable, and I'd definitely pay for one.

@AlexTheGreatish

Carbide drill bits bro, they're not super expensive and will drill through hardened steel and any other metal you throw at them. There's HSS shanked bits with just carbide tips made for metal drilling that can just chuck up in a hand drill and go to town with.