LMG Sponsor Complaints

CPotter
On 2/20/2024 at 11:01 PM, Kid.Lazer said:

You should be happy they offered any support at all. A refurbished item from a third-party seller is usually "Do not pass GO; Do not collect $200" as far as warranties go. Next time, buy it new. That is the only instance it is guaranteed to work, at least, as far as the original manufacturer is concerned.

You are partly correct, I would not buy any used IT hardware again.
But this is europe:
"Under EU rules, a seller must repair, replace, or give you a full or partial refund if something you buy turns out to be faulty or doesn’t look or work as advertised.
You always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee, at no cost."
(https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm)
The MSI MPG X670E Carbon Wifi was launched in September 2022, so all these motherboards are less than 24 months old and are therefore still covered by the warranty, unless it has visible damage caused by the user.

But this does not change the fact, that the MSI service center failed to fix this mainboard twice so far, as they do not seem to have a quality control.

4 hours ago, beat_g said:

Under EU rules, a seller must repair, replace, or give you a full or partial refund

This obviously isn't a legal document, but according to this, it's on the seller, not the original manufacturer. So you need to take it up with your third-party site.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

On 2/26/2024 at 1:44 PM, Kid.Lazer said:

This obviously isn't a legal document, but according to this, it's on the seller, not the original manufacturer. So you need to take it up with your third-party site.

Seller can be the company that imports the goods to the EU. EU law are very complicated.
Otherwise you would loose your warrany if your dealer goes broke, but the manufacturer is still in business.
By the way, the latest chapter is that my mainboard was sent to an address in austria and could not be delivered, as I don't live there, so it was returned to the service center where it warrived on the 02/28/2024. Yesterday I asked for a new Tracking and today I received a number from DHL.
I guess this is already the second time that they sent it with UPS Express to a wrong address in Austria and them with DHL Economy to my Switzerland.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:49 AM, Hturuta said:

Good afternoon, all the readers of this thread.

In this article, we will discuss how LinusTechTips does not check its sponsors and how Linus breaks its promises.

There have been a couple of new posts on the Forum regarding our partnership with Gaijin Entertainment, the makers of War Thunder and Enlisted. In these posts, concerns were also raised regarding a game we use to benchmark hardware, Atomic Heart, and a game that Luke has talked about a few times, Escape from Tarkov.

I want to start by touching on Gaijin Entertainment, as we have previously addressed similar concerns on the Forum. There are claims about them being a Russian company with ties to the Russian military. Two different links were provided, one from Babel and one from The Gamer.

The Babel article covers a handful of games, and they raise a concern regarding War Thunder running an ad on the Heavy-Caliber Turmoil YouTube channel. This channel showcases different weapons and devices used by the Donetsk People's Republic, a pro-Russian area in Ukraine. These ads were not placed there by Gajin's request and were done through a third-party agency. And, since being uploaded, the integration has been removed from the video. This is addressed at the end of the The Gamer article and matches the information shared with us from Gaijin. The Babel article also states that Gaijin never made any statement on this, which they have.

Gaijin’s statement is: "We do not provide political support to anyone anywhere. We know nothing about politics and prefer to stay out of it." [source: https://www.overtdefense.com/2021/01/05/gaijin-entertainment-responds-to-allegations-of-funding-donbass-separatists/]

Regarding the claims of Gaijin being a Russian company, Gaijin may have started in Moscow, but as of 2015, their head of operations has moved to Budapest. There was also a concern about most of the staff still being Russian, however, upon clicking the link provided, the overwhelming majority of the staff operates outside Russia. Additionally, allowing their employees to work remotely in job postings is in no way indicative of Gaijin hiring specifically Russian staff for political reasons.

Gaijin makes games that they want to appeal to a broad audience. They've publicly stated that they believe war only belongs in video games. What Linus stated in the screenshotted Tweet still holds true: We are not working with a Russian-based entity.

To quickly touch on Tarkov and Atomic Heart, I'd like to mostly parrot what was mentioned earlier in the thread: We promote neither of these games. Atomic Heart has just been used as a benchmark in some videos, and Luke discussing Tarkov was in no way to promote it. These are not sponsors, and no money has been exchanged with these developers.

Thread cleaned. I've removed all arguments regarding Russia and the war in Ukraine. A complaint has been made about a sponsor and a response from LMG has been given regarding the sponsorship. We won't have any further discussion on the war in Ukraine.

• No political content, regardless of your views.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 2/26/2024 at 8:44 AM, beat_g said:

"Under EU rules, a seller must repair, replace, or give you a full or partial refund if something you buy turns out to be faulty or doesn’t look or work as advertised.
You always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee, at no cost."
(https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm)
The MSI MPG X670E Carbon Wifi was launched in September 2022, so all these motherboards are less than 24 months old and are therefore still covered by the warranty, unless it has visible damage caused by the user.

"the seller" is the entity you bought it from, unless you bought it directly from MSI, MSI is not affected by this.

(even if you bought it new from an online retailer, MSI is no party in this law, the online retailer is.)

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

"the seller" is the entity you bought it from, unless you bought it directly from MSI, MSI is not affected by this.

(even if you bought it new from an online retailer, MSI is no party in this law, the online retailer is.)

it still does not change the problem, that their after sales support has a quality problem if they send back "repaired" items without testing the basic functions.

As both an observer to a first round odoo sales demo call and also a prospective customer myself who comes from the open source world, i strongly dislike odoo's seemingly quite anti-community approach to sales. Attempts to ask a simple question about their product based on my experience selfhosting it via email, posting on their forums, and using their live chat on their website, all seemed to lead to me either being ignored or only listened to until the point where it became clear i was not likely to be a profitable customer (i.e. when i disclosed that I had been using the open source community edition of their product)

Im glad to see that a company with a sizable quantity of their core product available as open source software be able to sustain itself enough to purchace presumably expensive ad spots on LTT, and US National Public Radio, but doing so by neglecting the open source community puts a bad taste in my mouth and gives me a strong negative reaction anytime i hear their name mentioned.

Happy to provide evidence for the claims above if anyone asks. At this point though I think the odoo platform is not flexible enough for my needs and I can live with my manual invoicing workflow for the time being until i find something better.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:36 PM, computerace said:

but doing so by neglecting the open source community

They release most of their product line under open source licensing, which is more than be said about 99% of companies in the space. You don't see ServiceNow, Atlassian, Zoho, or SalesForce doing anything remotely in the FOSS space. Odoo isn't required to give you support unless you are a prospective customer, and that seems completely reasonable. You yourself admit you aren't likely to purchase their enterprise platform, so I'm failing to see the issue here. 

How exactly are they neglecting the open source community? What was your line of questioning?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:36 PM, computerace said:

As both an observer to a first round odoo sales demo call and also a prospective customer myself who comes from the open source world, i strongly dislike odoo's seemingly quite anti-community approach to sales. Attempts to ask a simple question about their product based on my experience selfhosting it via email, posting on their forums, and using their live chat on their website, all seemed to lead to me either being ignored or only listened to until the point where it became clear i was not likely to be a profitable customer (i.e. when i disclosed that I had been using the open source community edition of their product)

Im glad to see that a company with a sizable quantity of their core product available as open source software be able to sustain itself enough to purchace presumably expensive ad spots on LTT, and US National Public Radio, but doing so by neglecting the open source community puts a bad taste in my mouth and gives me a strong negative reaction anytime i hear their name mentioned.

Happy to provide evidence for the claims above if anyone asks. At this point though I think the odoo platform is not flexible enough for my needs and I can live with my manual invoicing workflow for the time being until i find something better.

The thing is, they have NO obligation at all to support the open source community. It is cool that it IS open source, but again like many others have stated, there are no "requirements" that they need to agree to when they publish their stuff that says they need to take support calls from people who get their stuff for free. It would, in my opinion, be nice for them to help/give support to open source users, but again, it's at their discretion and they are not obliged or required to do so. 

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Thorum

I ordered a watch specifically cause it was advertised(in the sponsor segment and some of Thorums web pages) as an automatic watch. I need an automatic watch for work in an electrostatic environment. When I ordered one I found product pages seemed to contradict this. It appears they threw in a battery now making many ads... Even now be inaccurate(Some were even within the week) So now I'm sitting here thinking I'm getting a watch I can't use. 

23 minutes ago, FunkyBushMonkey said:

Thorum

I ordered a watch specifically cause it was advertised(in the sponsor segment and some of Thorums web pages) as an automatic watch. I need an automatic watch for work in an electrostatic environment. When I ordered one I found product pages seemed to contradict this. It appears they threw in a battery now making many ads... Even now be inaccurate(Some were even within the week) So now I'm sitting here thinking I'm getting a watch I can't use. 

***EDIT***

Looks like the poster HAS contacted them and it's the inconsistency of their responses that is troubling. That makes much more sense. 

Original:

The first party you should contact about this is Thorum.

You should ask them for clarification about the attributes of the product you purchased, and then see how they resolve it. 

If they engage in any kind of malicious or fraudulent behavior, then you can raise it here.

Maybe we should pin this or something because there seems to be some misunderstandings about what this thread is. It's not a support chat for any random company that LMG has ever mentioned in a video. It's a safety mechanism to ensure we aren't promoting talking points or products that are misleading or harmful to the user. 

We obviously do our own due diligence, but sometimes individual experiences can be enlightening, or long-term users can uncover issues that wouldn't be apparent to us in a short amount of time.

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

The first party you should contact about this is Thorum.

You should ask them for clarification about the attributes of the product you purchased, and then see how they resolve it. 

If they engage in any kind of malicious or fraudulent behavior, then you can raise it here.

Maybe we should pin this or something because there seems to be some misunderstandings about what this thread is. It's not a support chat for any random company that LMG has ever mentioned in a video. It's a safety mechanism to ensure we aren't promoting talking points or products that are misleading or harmful to the user. 

We obviously do our own due diligence, but sometimes individual experiences can be enlightening, or long-term users can uncover issues that wouldn't be apparent to us in a short amount of time.

I did contact them asking and they said they recently switch to the battery for more reliability. But when replying about my order it also sounded contradicting. I linked my order number as topic or reason for reaching out to them. They said they no longer carry the mechanical movement ones, which is the one I currently have. When I just ordered. I then attempted to ask for further clarification. 

I posted this specifically because as a talking point for them the items were listed as automatic... Then finding out they may not be. It appears to be misleading for people who need specific watches for their work environment (which I do). 

Responses and pages also seem to be contradicting which can also be misleading for people looking to purchase their items. These pages then listing them(on their website) Should be corrected. 

Just now, FunkyBushMonkey said:

I did contact them asking and they said they recently switch to the battery for more reliability. But when replying about my order it also sounded contradicting. I linked my order number as topic or reason for reaching out to them. They said they no longer carry the mechanical movement ones, which is the one I currently have. When I just ordered. I then attempted to ask for further clarification. 

I posted this specifically because as a talking point for them the items were listed as automatic... Then finding out they may not be. It appears to be misleading for people who need specific watches for their work environment (which I do). 

Responses and pages also seem to be contradicting which can also be misleading for people looking to purchase their items. These pages then listing them(on their website) Should be corrected. 

Ahhhh. 

It wasn't clear from your post. It sounded to me pike you hadn't heard back from them yet. Thanks for clarifying. 

2 minutes ago, FunkyBushMonkey said:

Hey! I handle the Thorum account. DM me and I'll take care of you 🙂

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Ahhhh. 

It wasn't clear from your post. It sounded to me pike you hadn't heard back from them yet. Thanks for clarifying. 

Thank you for responding in such a short time. I don't want other people to see it advertised this way and order it if they can't use it. 

And yeah sorry, I know wording things through the interwebs can sound rough or incomplete

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Ignoring the communication misunderstanding I don't think this is actually an issue in the thread. I follow this thread often because it's the most valuable resource I've ever seen for filtering which brands I shouldn't recommend to people when I help them with things like building a PC or other general tech. I very rarely see people actually come here instead of support. Basically everyone comes here after they've contacted support and not received a satisfactory response. Sometimes that can be because support has taken 3 days and people are impatient and entitled but those people get called out anyway.

Thank you and your team for the recent approach to this thread though. Having your team investigate claims further and engage here is really useful. As a single person I can only get exposure to so many different brands and get even less exposure to their support policies. Having this thread means when I help people which I do regularly I'm able to help them make more informed decisions and it's a much more reliable way of finding out about actual issues compared to say reddit. When your team checks up on complaints here it's really good to receive some more concrete answers and validate or disprove any concerns. I'm not sure if you realise or not but this thread is an incredible resource that gives insight into the type of experiences this community has and holds significant value for not just LMG but the whole community.

Hey guys, 

Manscaped charged me 25€ for a subscription, not cause i forgot do deselct a checkbox or something but cause i used a promocode that than includes the boxes. 

In thier FAQ they even have a "Why was I recently charged 24,99€?" ... yeah so they hear that question often huh? 

beside of that thier trimmer is terrible in getting the lawn mowed and sure thing it cut me.  

Overall not a very good experience. 

On 2/7/2024 at 12:33 PM, Piipperi said:

Thought that I'd drop my concern on the latest MacAddress video sponsor. As a long time iOS jailbreaker and tinkerer, without root access (or a sandbox escape) you can't use any software to dig through iPhone's files directly, and especially not delete them. Best that one could probably do is make a non-encrypted backup via iTunes, which then could be extracted and checked for malware, but I'm not sure if you can modify those backups and still successfully restore them in this day and age. Either way, the software shouldn't be able to do what it's advertising.

I personally haven't tried the software, but I can detect this bs from a mile away. Not only that, but there is also no trial version as far as I can tell.

Even the MA video says that iPhone has it's apps sandboxed, so an on-device malware detection tool wouldn't work. But as I mentioned earlier, that still stays true when you have it connected to a computer.

Feel free to add to this if you guys know something we don't, but I just assume this program is a scam.

It appears this same sponsor was on the latest TechLinked too. Disappointed on LMG promoting these scams.

1 hour ago, Piipperi said:

It appears this same sponsor was on the latest TechLinked too. Disappointed on LMG promoting these scams.

This was already address in a previous post.

I received my MSI  Mainboard back from the service center. According to the Service report, there were "no trouble found"

The mainboard is still broken.
I had included pages from the user manual and marked all the ports that did not work, and the didn't care to check if that was true.

I am so pissed, and I strongly recommend not to buy any MSI products in Europe as their European service center is not capable to do basic tests.

I know that it was a sponsor spot, but it feels a bit icky seeing it posted separately. Just to confirm it's not another "oh we did a review, and we did not give permission to reuse it".

8 hours ago, Tankers said:

I know that it was a sponsor spot, but it feels a bit icky seeing it posted separately. Just to confirm it's not another "oh we did a review, and we did not give permission to reuse it".

Not just that. I've also seen this exact clip (from Tello Mobile) get used as one of those skippable YouTube ads. Which feels really weird. Did LTT give them permission to re-use the sponsor spot clip as a YouTube ad? Or, as Tankers said, is this another unfortunate case of a sponsor using the sponsor spot clip without permission.

Has there been anything here about Kiwico?  I bought three months of boxes for my kid.  They auto renewed it, and then when I asked for a refund refused.  They sent one email telling me they were going to renew it, and I didn't have time to do it, so they charged me.  I get that they "tried" to notify me, but I shouldn't have had to cancel it in the first place, I only ordered 3 boxes!