Is there any way to get better connection without spending 5k?

Bleamy

My internet provider is CenturyLink, currently my Wi-Fi runs at about .5 MB upload and about 4 MB download. When asking if we could upgrade our internet in someway they said new “line” would need to be put in and it would cost around 5k to do so. I don’t know anything about how Wi-Fi connection and things like that work. Can someone tell me if there is another way to increase my internet speeds? Or am I kinda screwed

You could try Tesla's Starlink ... but it would cost you $100+ a month

You should look at how fast your connection is when you're connected directly to the router they give you through ethernet cable.

If you have a very old wireless card, your transfer speeds could be limited by the wireless card you have... then you could look into getting a better wireless card.

As mariushm said, check the speed by connecting your PC, or any other PC for that matter, with an ethernet cable to your router and run a speedtest.

Preferably this speedtest: https://www.speedtest.net/

Then compare your results to the contract you have with your provider.
The results should be close (within a couple of mbit) to what your provider promises.

Then you can look into whether you have an issue with your WiFi connection, which is unrelated to your internet connection, or if the issue is actually your internet connection and you need a new new one.

11 minutes ago, Bleamy said:

My internet provider is CenturyLink, currently my Wi-Fi runs at about .5 MB upload and about 4 MB download. When asking if we could upgrade our internet in someway they said new “line” would need to be put in and it would cost around 5k to do so. I don’t know anything about how Wi-Fi connection and things like that work. Can someone tell me if there is another way to increase my internet speeds? Or am I kinda screwed

Do you know what speeds your paying for? What speeds do wires devices get?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

38 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You could try Tesla's Starlink ... but it would cost you $100+ a month

You should look at how fast your connection is when you're connected directly to the router they give you through ethernet cable.

If you have a very old wireless card, your transfer speeds could be limited by the wireless card you have... then you could look into getting a better wireless card.

About 2-3 weeks ago I checked to see how fast it would be with an ethernet cable instead of using wireless and I was able to achieve speeds around 1 MB upload and 17MB download. This was directly from my router to the ethernet port on the back of my pc

35 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Do you know what speeds your paying for? What speeds do wires devices get?

I will get back to you on the speeds being paid for since my roommate is the one who set it up but on wired devices I get about 1MB upload and 17MB download

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Is CenturyLink the only wired provider in your area?

Is T-Mobile home 5G an option for you? (I have no experience with it myself.)

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

I believe so since xfinity and media com said there services could not reach us, we did not attempt any other providers since CenturyLink said they were able to get us internet. 

we looked into the T-Mobile 5g as a sort of replacement since we also have T-Mobile as a mobile carrier but they said it was unavailable in our area

44 minutes ago, Bleamy said:

speeds around 1 MB upload and 17MB download.

If you're happy with that but you don't see the same on wifi, turn off the wifi on the router and buy a separate AP.

6 hours ago, Bleamy said:

I will get back to you on the speeds being paid for since my roommate is the one who set it up but on wired devices I get about 1MB upload and 17MB download

If that is good enough, you likely just need a better router to get comparable Wifi speeds. Wifi, with a good router (and/or wireless access point) should be about the same speed as wires devices. It will always be a little slower, but your internet speeds are not very fast so Wifi will likely almost match that. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

16 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Is CenturyLink the only wired provider in your area?

Is T-Mobile home 5G an option for you? (I have no experience with it myself.)

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

general yeah they are in a lot of area. btw the usa in general is a 1 isp service city.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

On 4/29/2022 at 5:18 AM, Bleamy said:

am I kinda screwed

You're kinda screwed. It sounds like you have some kinda of DSL. Your only hope is if Century Link decides to update your area with Fiber. Like others have suggested, you could look at Starlink or some kinda of 4G/5G Cellular internet. I know that both T Mobile and Verizon offer home internet service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.