Tim Cook rails against """bad privacy regulation & sideloading""" in keynote speech

darknessblade
5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, you kept insisting how app if it's sandboxed cannot have any data leaked. To which I replied that if user literally hands out permission for access to contacts/photos/storage, it literally doesn't matter. So, what were you talking about then? Android, iOS or some hypothetical may happen someday in iOS in distant future?

And may I ask how is that talking about Android? How is it in a post talking about what Apple could do with iOS talking about Android? This actually is highly confusing. You have some very strange interpretations.

What is so confusing about a post(s) talking about what could be done with iOS to you?

Apple being forced to open up sideloading is also a hypothetical future thing, it's not happened yet and how and in what way isn't known yet. We don't know what Apple is going to do to comply if/when required. So is it really so strange that I and others would be talking about hypothetical scenarios and possibilities? I'm going with no it is not.

Also your preaching of me being "offended" over ideas or suggestions is funny when you keep shooting down my factual claims that users are the ones who keep f**king things up as soon as you give them power or control.

I am not shooting them down, I am giving you an answer as to this exact issue you mention that will mitigate the problem.

A user cannot grant knowingly, by mistake, through laziness or ignorance, something that is impossible. Period, done, end of story cannot be done. Never going to happen. So if Apple removed the ability for sideloaded applications to be granted any permissions or just a selection of permissions then please do explain how this does not address your point you are trying to make.

Are you claiming that a user can do something that which would be impossible to do, that no sideloaded App could ask for? I am struggling to figure out how any person could do the literal impossible, but if you think they could then please explain how.

So if this were done, and yes this does address your point, then what is your objection now? Or as I've suggested, stick with pure opinion and don't offer up a justification that can be critiqued and discussed if you don't want to be part of that.

If you want sideloading so desperately, then just use Android.

No, you don't get to tell any person that may want to use iOS but may also want to see or think it can be improved for their needs to go use another different thing. You also don't get to tell businesses that need to make Apps available to iOS users that if they don't like the situation that Apple sets out to just abandon all iOS users and that market entirely either.

Since you were unable to actually quote me talking about Android like you have claimed I have, since you will not address any single point I have made, since you just keep repeating yourself I will have to conclude that you are simply unwilling to admit your mistake, that you know full well you are wrong and are just hoping somehow that I will not notice. Is there really that much shame in just saying that you simply did not understand what I said the first time around and that it was due to being closed minded and not actually reading what was said, not giving any talking point a fair chance.

• 4 months later...

PCs have sideloading for decades and their malware infection rate isn't that far off from non-sidedloaded devices.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 4/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, RejZoR said:

People are going to hate on Apple, but realistically, 99% of people who absolutely need sideloading are a) developers b) pirates. And they are both a tiny subset of all users that need sideloading. Because reality is, if an app of any kind is not available on GooglePlay or App Store, it just doesn't exist.

-snip-

I have an older jailbroken iphone for apps that were removed from the app store. In particular games. Im neither a dev or a pirate.

Also, if the ability to sideload becomes officially supported then you will see apps created with this in mind. 
The larger argument is more about devs not having to pay apple 30% to use the app store and use its payment processor, more than anything else. The guys at fortnite would love to just make their app avail to download without needing to use the app store. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Uhm... k then Tim Apple.

I'm sure they're giving out free popcorn at G👀gle right now.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:49 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Sorry Tim, it takes two to dance the tango:

- their platform, their rules

Vs.

- their country, their rules

Don't like it, then just leave the same way you booted everyone out who didn't agree with you

Me joins the tango: My property my rules

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566