First (supposed) benchmarks of Ryzen 5800X3D published by Peruvian review site, ahead of embargo lift

Middcore

Summary

Xanxo Gaming, a PC enthusiast site based in Peru, has published ostensible benchmarks of AMD's new Ryzen 5800X3D CPU. The chip is still officially under embargo for two more days, but Xanxo claims they were able to obtain a retail sample and are not under NDA. Their gaming tests (at 720p and 1080p in a variety of titles to shift burden to the CPU as much as possible) show the new AMD release going blow for blow with Intel's i9 12900K (using DDR4 memory).

Quotes

Our gaming test suite normally is used for our graphics cards review and the small difference for CPUs, is that we will be testing 720p resolution. Although most people do not play at 720p, testing at a lower resolution between CPUs helps how really fast it is. For sake of speed and simplicity, settings are set at maximum graphics quality (some of those options do stress for the CPU rather than leave it at only low preset).

Nonetheless, we will try to explore and decipher some of the results we are seeing in some games. We also include results using 1080p to add more data.

It seems that in 1080p, most games will see ties comparing Ryzen 7 5800X3D versus 12900K-DDR4 and some games giving a substantial win for the new 3D V-CACHE technology. 12900K-DDR5 results are to be seen, but we do expect better performance (compared to ADL-S DDR4) based on prior results we had.

To sum it up, in our test suite, three games are tied up using DDR4-3200 CL14 kits on both systems. Assassin’s Creed Origins has a small victory by 5.4%. Death Stranding difference is small, but as seen in 1080p and even with the game’s 240 FPS cap, AVG FPS and 1% LOW are a little higher.

What we presume is bandwidth cap and is very punishing for the 12900K DDR4-3200 CL14 in some titles and AMD’s solution (AMD 3D V-CACHE) pulls ahead in some titles.

Some other games see a small increase with AMD 3D V-CACHE, such as F1 2020.

Intel has a small win by 5% in Strange Brigade (DX12 – Async On) which I believe it is Alder Lake-S IPC  (which is way better as seen in productivity benchmarks).

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D also has a victory by 12.32% in Shadow of War at 720p.

My thoughts

The review was obviously not written by native English speakers, so if the above quotes are hard to follow, that's probably why. The review does include numerous bar graphs showing the testing results game by game and it's probably better to just look at those. 

Obviously take this with several grains of salt as this site is basically unknown, and note that even they acknowledge that there is a good chance Alder Lake would pull ahead with fast DDR5 memory. Still, if these results are even close to accurate, then the 5800X3D at $450 challenging the 12900k at ~$600 is a very respectable showing for AMD and a lot more than I expected from this release... although even at $450, the value proposition for existing AM4 users to upgrade over jumping to Intel or waiting for AM5 is a tough call. 

Sources

https://xanxogaming.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review-the-last-gaming-gift-for-am4/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Techpowerup also have their review up.

TLDR: About the same performance as the 12900K in gaming, lower performance than the 5800X in most other tasks.

IMO it's pretty bad, for ~$100 less you can get almost the same gaming performance with the 12700K with much higher performance in non-gaming tasks. Even on AM4, I would rather go with the 5800X for ~$150 less and put that money towards other things on the PC or just save it, I don't see a 10% performance increase in CPU bound gaming as something significant.

I knew this thing wasn't going to be groundbreaking when it was announced. It just couldn't be due to the platform its on and what was available through Intel. 

All this thing does is give a preview of what they'll be building off of for Ryzen 7000.

To be honest, I was expecting a "let's just get our name in the news for releasing a new product" wet fart from AMD along the lines of the Radeon VII and the 3000-series XT CPU's Gamers Nexus infamously called a waste of sand. The fact that there are real gains here, and how they've been able to achieve it from a technical standpoint, impresses me.

Am I going to buy one of these to replace my 5600X?

Ehhhhh....

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Funny how the 12900K can still overclock while the 5800X3D doesn't. And the 12900K still keeps up even running on stock

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

50 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

Funny how the 12900K can still overclock while the 5800X3D doesn't. And the 12900K still keeps up even running on stock

The 12900k is a newer architecture, has 1ghz higher clocks, and uses more power; I would expect it to "keep up." I think the fact AMD has made a CPU that can go toe to toe with it within the constraints they're working in is impressive. Doesn't necessarily make it a good buy for many people, of course. 

Overclocking is on its way out except as a hobbyist thing for its own sake, the practical gains in return for spending more on boards and cooling are just not there. Intel I think knows this as well as anyone because they've started to segment their products so the K chips have other features the non-K chips don't at some key points in the lineup (the 12600k having e-cores and the 12600 not). 

@Middcore still, one would've expected AMD to be the one overclock-able as opposed to Intel when making the usual comparison. It surely needs getting used to. Can't wait for AMD's response with 7000 series though that seems like still months away

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

I wouldn't mind a 4D one 🙂

We need to go deeper higher. AMD playing 4D chess while everyone else is playing checkers. MOAR CORES old and busted, MOAR CACHE is the new hotness. 

Very neat to see what just this cache brings for gaming performance. Even with lower clocks on this SKU too. It's a solid show for the tech. I'm excited to see it on next gen platform with new arch which both along should really bring a jump in performance. I'd expect them they figured out how to implement the 3D cache without sacrificing frequencies/voltage though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, Middcore said:

the 5800X3D at $450 challenging the 12900k at ~$600 is a very respectable showing for AMD

I don't agree.

It seems to trade blows with the 12900K using DDR4 for gaming, but once we look at more highly threaded workloads the 12900K will most likely pull ahead thanks to the higher core count.

It's kind of like comparing the i3-12300 vs the 5950X using a single threaded benchmark and go "look, Intel's 150 dollar chip beats AMD's 800 dollar chip! Very impressive!".

With the 5950X, and the 12900K, you are paying a lot for the additional cores. If you run a benchmark that don't take advantage of those cores then of course it will look like the value is bad. I mean, in general those chips are bad value, but they appear to be even worse when looking at these types of benchmarks.

For gaming, the i7-12700 will probably offer quite similar performance as the 5800X3D, but at about 100 dollars less. On top of being quite a lot better for highly threaded workloads.

The 5800X3D seems to just be a desperate attempt (and a 3D cache test product) for AMD to win back the "best gaming CPU" crown at any cost. Its a halo product made for marketing. Not an attempt at making a good product that people should buy.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't agree.

It seems to trade blows with the 12900K using DDR4 for gaming, but once we look at more highly threaded workloads the 12900K will most likely pull ahead thanks to the higher core count.

It's kind of like comparing the i3-12300 vs the 5950X using a single threaded benchmark and go "look, Intel's 150 dollar chip beats AMD's 800 dollar chip! Very impressive!".

With the 5950X, and the 12900K, you are paying a lot for the additional cores. If you run a benchmark that don't take advantage of those cores then of course it will look like the value is bad. I mean, in general those chips are bad value, but they appear to be even worse when looking at these types of benchmarks.

For gaming, the i7-12700 will probably offer quite similar performance as the 5800X3D, but at about 100 dollars less. On top of being quite a lot better for highly threaded workloads.

The 5800X3D seems to just be a desperate attempt (and a 3D cache test product) for AMD to win back the "best gaming CPU" crown at any cost. Its a halo product made for marketing. Not an attempt at making a good product that people should buy.

Yeah, when you can get the 12700F for $312, which according to TechSpot/HUB testing matches the 12700KF in gaming performance, and is about as fast as the 5900X in MT tasks, this feels kinda dumb. Like with the previous releases and the 300 series boards supporting new CPUs, this just looks like AMD is doing the bare minimum so people that own AM4 don't go to Intel, for people buying new it's again quite a bit overpriced.

10 hours ago, KaitouX said:

IMO it's pretty bad, for ~$100 less you can get almost the same gaming performance with the 12700K with much higher performance in non-gaming tasks.

On a scale of good to 12900KS it's at least no where near that bad lol

Who would have seen us saying that Intel is a better buy in 2022. Crazy wasn't that long ago everyone said Intel couldn't compete. I honestly am enjoying this competition. I have no brand loyalty and will take whatever gives me the best bang for my buck. 

14 hours ago, KaitouX said:

IMO it's pretty bad, for ~$100 less you can get almost the same gaming performance with the 12700K with much higher performance in non-gaming tasks. Even on AM4, I would rather go with the 5800X for ~$150 less and put that money towards other things on the PC or just save it, I don't see a 10% performance increase in CPU bound gaming as something significant.

I also wouldn't spend that much money for being a 3D cache tester. It's probably best to wait for Zen4 or 13th Gen at this point. As those are supposed to come out in fall.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon