Any 3D artists want to go into buissness with me? 50/50

Linus No Beard

I am making a game called Soul Runner a horror maze runner in which the wall change as you play

Playable demo: https://gamejolt.com/games/SoulRunner/701512

If you look at that demo you now know why i need an artists help im good at programming shit at art

The game is made in UE5 compiled from source so preferably you know how to use Unreal and its tools and to avoid licensing cost please use blender because its free and that means more for us after steam steals 30%

Game info (this is everything i have in my game doc at the moment)

Game play

• changing walls

• teleportation to adjacent maze

• 13 levels

• maze running

• soul shard collecting

• multiple difficulties

• some sort of story

• horror mechanics

story / Game

you see yourself get hit by a bus and wake up in a strange place a demon comes to you and offers you a deal

you reject:

• instant game over

you accept:

• you go through a teleporter and are in the first level

• the demon explains that you must pick up his lost soul fragments

• the demon explains that you must avoid the nightmares

• you see the walls change as you go through the levels

• you collect all the fragments and get back to the start

• you see a cut scene that is related to the story / explains that soul

• you start the next level

• repeat as more mechanics enter the game

Final level:

in the cut scene, before you see the demon not keep good on his side of the deal as he tries to take your soul it shatters and you are teleported to the final maze as you need to collect your soul to save yourself as the demon uses every trick in the book to stop you.

Ending:

as you collect the final fragment you see a cut scene of you waking up in the hospital as the screen fades to black and the credits roll

If you are interested or need further info please contact me at: info@danielgamestudios.com

I am sorry if this is against forum rules if it is then take it down just wanted to try first

so basically, you need someone to create a game based off your idea? 

1 minute ago, IAmNik said:

so basically, you need someone to create a game based off your idea? 

no i am a programmer i just suck at art so i though mix 1 programmer and one artist the you get one game kinda like this

#include <math.h>

int p = 1 //programmer
  int a = 1 //artist

if (p+a=2) {
  //game made
}

Love it! Im already stoked for the game. Keep us updated!

1 minute ago, IAmNik said:

Love it! Im already stoked for the game. Keep us updated!

will do you dont happen to be a 3D molder by chance

Just now, Linus No Beard said:

will do you dont happen to be a 3D molder by chance

I am not, unfortunately but I will admit, the concept of the game sounds great! 

Just now, IAmNik said:

I am not, unfortunately but I will admit, the concept of the game sounds great! 

thanks i came up with it in the shower after playing the ashtray maze in control and though what about that but horror

3 minutes ago, IAmNik said:

I like the soul/being in a coma aspect!

thanks for the feedback right now i am working on improving the shitty AI with a line of sight model the story most likely wont be in game till ether release or later dev like 0.8.0-0.9.0 ish

16 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

no i am a programmer i just suck at art so i though mix 1 programmer and one artist the you get one game kinda like this

#include <math.h>

int p = 1 //programmer
  int a = 1 //artist

if (p+a=2) {
  //game made
}

I like that there's a mistake in these 4 lines of code

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I like that there's a mistake in these 4 lines of code

i made in like 5 seconds without an ide as a joke i know it i forgot some semicolons and some syntax

the fixed code is

#include <math.h>

int p = 1; //programmer
  int a = 1; //artist

if (p+a==2) {
  //game made
}

8 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

i made in like 5 seconds without an ide as a joke i know it i forgot some semicolons and some syntax

There's a lexical error with p+a=2, =2 is an assignment not comparison and p+a is an expression, which is not assignable. Using = when intent is equality comparison (==) reminds me of bad attempts from marketing people trying to appeal to programmers 😀

2 minutes ago, maremp said:

There's a lexical error with p+a=2, =2 is an assignment not comparison and p+a is an expression, which is not assignable. Using = when intent is equality comparison (==) reminds me of bad attempts from marketing people trying to appeal to programmers 😀

oh thanks just saw that i must be blind or i use my IDE's help too much

jokes aside I feel like you might be overestimating your ability, try making the game you mentioned using free stock assets just to see if you can get it to work before involving a dedicated artist...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

jokes aside I feel like you might be overestimating your ability, try making the game you mentioned using free stock assets just to see if you can get it to work before involving a dedicated artist...

if i was overestimating my ability i would not be parting with half of the revenue of the game i would be making art myself which i am shit at

You won't find anyone worth while by advertising a rev share. The only people that will take offers of rev share, are the people who spend 15 minutes watching some Indian guy on YouTube thinking they're now a 3d artist. 

People who have any self worth and skill will not work for the promise of potentially making money. You can offer cash plus rev share, but no one will work on the promis of money.

Even if you go cash plus rev share, you need to get your portfolio in order. You're selling your self, it's no different than going into a job interview. Anyone who might be interest in your business would also want to know who they're working with is competent.

Then the other rub is do you have a business plan? A fully fledged game design document? How are you tracking progress and changes? Which KPIs are you using and how are you using the to measure your development progress? What is the development timeline of your game? How are you going to market your game? When are you going to market your game?  Where are you going to market your game? Do you have funds to pay for advertising, marketing, tooling, licensing, assets that you cannot make, website, etc. Do you have some for of business entity registered with your local government? Who gets voting control in any form of rev share model? 

Currently the best you have is an idea, and at the end of the day, idea's are not worth anything. Although games typically fall within an agile development model, you cant skip on the upfront planning, especially on the business side of things. You could potentially make a pretty amazing game, but without a solid business plan and marketing it won't sell. Happens to indie devs all the time, they never consider the business side of things and ultimately fail. They spend multiple years of their life on a project that went nowhere.

Not saying any of this to be mean, but to help you think about what you need to do to get this done. At this point you're seriously underestimating the amount of time, money, effort and scope that takes to build a game.

Edit:

I should also add what market research have you done? Who is your target audience? You can't say gamers because that is way too broad.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

11 minutes ago, trag1c said:

I should also add what market research have you done? Who is your target audience? You can't say gamers because that is way too broad.

male games who watch jacksepticeye or markiplier in there teens who like horror games with a twist

12 minutes ago, trag1c said:

You won't find anyone worth while by advertising a rev share. The only people that will take offers of rev share, are the people who spend 15 minutes watching some Indian guy on YouTube thinking they're now a 3d artist.

People who have any self worth and skill will not work for the promise of potentially making money. You can offer cash plus rev share, but no one will work on the promis of money.

i would offer cash if i had any to offer but as it stands now im broke

1 minute ago, Linus No Beard said:

male games who watch jacksepticeye or markiplier in there teens who like horror games with a twist

i would offer cash if i had any to offer but as it stands now im broke

Then I suggest you learn how to art because anyone you attract of rev share will be just as bad if not worse than you.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

20 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

if i was overestimating my ability i would not be parting with half of the revenue of the game i would be making art myself which i am shit at

So far you have made 0 games and thus have 0 revenue, as well as no guarantee you'll ever be able to make either. There are very few cases of people making a commercially successful game by themselves or even with a single partner, even fewer where it was the developer's first attempt at making a game as a whole. Your previous topics and also this one indicate to me that your priorities are not quite in order here; you seem mostly concerned with stuff that isn't actually developing your game.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

51 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So far you have made 0 games and thus have 0 revenue, as well as no guarantee you'll ever be able to make either. There are very few cases of people making a commercially successful game by themselves or even with a single partner, even fewer where it was the developer's first attempt at making a game as a whole. Your previous topics and also this one indicate to me that your priorities are not quite in order here; you seem mostly concerned with stuff that isn't actually developing your game.

most of my game dev questions and talks are on reddit not this forum and i have made game before just not commercial ones i not looking to make billions i know i will be lucky to even get the $100 from steam back but everyone starts somewhere and fore me that is with a partner someone else starting out just like me

2 hours ago, Linus No Beard said:

Unless you have a proven business plan that is already generating money, you're asking the person to work for 50% of 0, which is still 0. Working for equity was cool in the startup hype of 2010s and people quickly learned that awesome visions and cool offices do not pay for rent. 

Having a good business plan as a game dev is especially difficult because games are generally one-off sales and to sell it, it has to be done to at least an alpha/early release stage, which is a huge amount of work for a solo dev or even dev + designer.

2 hours ago, maremp said:

Unless you have a proven business plan that is already generating money, you're asking the person to work for 50% of 0, which is still 0. Working for equity was cool in the startup hype of 2010s and people quickly learned that awesome visions and cool offices do not pay for rent. 

Having a good business plan as a game dev is especially difficult because games are generally one-off sales and to sell it, it has to be done to at least an alpha/early release stage, which is a huge amount of work for a solo dev or even dev + designer.

i know it is hard work and has a low probability of being worth my time but i am willing to do it if you are not then that is your choice but i am looking for a risk taker anyway also i already have someone who accepted

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, Linus No Beard said:

i know it is hard work and has a low probability of being worth my time but i am willing to do it if you are not then that is your choice but i am looking for a risk taker anyway also i already have someone who accepted

I'm glad you shot your shot. I recommend taking the time to learn to be a 3D generalist using Blender. It'll pay off in the long run. Otherwise, use Unity / Asset Store / C# / etc. Go in that direction. If you're experience is anything like mine, just expect that most people will say no most of the time to you until after you've made it. If it's better then that for you, then I envy you.

By the by, how's the effort going?

On 5/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, Sirgeorge said:

I'm glad you shot your shot. I recommend taking the time to learn to be a 3D generalist using Blender. It'll pay off in the long run. Otherwise, use Unity / Asset Store / C# / etc. Go in that direction. If you're experience is anything like mine, just expect that most people will say no most of the time to you until after you've made it. If it's better then that for you, then I envy you.

By the by, how's the effort going?

look for yourself we are right now working on 2 more assets for the enemies and soul fragments then the demo will be for the most part done here is the link https://danielgamestudios.itch.io/soul-runner

Also as far as using unity C# and the asset store i will never because I am not looking to just be another asset flipper i have too much self respect

Pretty sure Artist+programmer doesn’t equal game mode, or even a game for that matter. You need a solid idea first. Designs, the mechanics, and details come later. Right now your problem has nothing to do with technicality. Not knowing how to draw/program isnt even an issue yet. You don’t seem to have a plan of any sort. What does it actually look like? What will it have? Story? Levels?

Create a use case diagram first. This major step predates hack and code. 

Sudo make me a sandwich