Is it fine to leave my PC on 24/7?

lyricalosu
Go to solution Solved by Kisai,
7 hours ago, mrekk said:

i am planning on leaving my pc on the weekend Fri-Mon so i can remote desktop into it. is it fine to leave it on during that time? i wont be home or able to go home during that time. also do not factor in electricity. i am aware of how much it can cost

Depends what it is.

If it contains liquid cooling. The answer is No. If it's overclocked, the answer is No.

If it's air-cooled and the fans are all operating at 100%, that's fine. If they're making bearing-wear noises or grinding noises, the answer is no.

Basically, you want to avoid two scenarios:

1. The temperature in the room gets too hot, and it's unable to cool itself, because you aren't running the Air Conditioning/exhaust fans

2. The computer gets stuck in a failed state where the fans turn off, but the CPU/GPU is still at maxed out.

The former is something that can, and does happen in warm climates. If you're going to leave your computer alone, leave the door to the room with the computer open. If there is a bathroom with a programmable timer for the exhaust fan (required in all humid climates to prevent bathrooms from getting moldy) make sure it's operational. That will take care of the potential overheating scenario.

The latter is a bit harder to anticipate. If you're running Windows and have the power settings set to balance, the fans will spin up and down as needed, but if it BSOD's, it might get stuck in a low state or a boot loop. So I'd actually suggest leaving the fans at a setting where they are always running, never at 0%

I have never had a computer "die" on me despite leaving them on 24/7 (I've literately gone on month-long trips), however I've had incidents happen to the apartment while absent (both involving water leaks), and that's the kind of risk you have to assess before leaving a computer on. Don't put the computer some place where it will be sitting in a pool of water if the room floods (eg the computer should be on your desk,) don't have "top vents" exposed to things that could potentially fall in it during an earthquake, and so forth. 

You can't anticipate everything. But you largely want to avoid a situation where the computer causes a fire due to it's location or proximity to combustible materials.

i am planning on leaving my pc on the weekend Fri-Mon so i can remote desktop into it. is it fine to leave it on during that time? i wont be home or able to go home during that time. also do not factor in electricity. i am aware of how much it can cost

In the long term, definitely a good practice to shut down/restart occasionally to prevent issues, but for three days you'll be completely fine. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Yes.

10 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

In the long term, definitely a good practice to shut down/restart occasionally to prevent issues, but for three days you'll be completely fine. 

Eh, not really. I've left my PC on for years at a time, never had an issue. Restarting occasionally is usually a good idea, but not turning it off does nothing bad.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yes.

Eh, not really. I've left my PC on for years at a time, never had an issue. Restarting occasionally is usually a good idea, but not turning it off does nothing bad.

It can cause serious performance issues after a while, though.

Tiny memory leaks are common and so are background processes building up. After 3 months a noticable performance increase is possible

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

It can cause serious performance issues after a while, though.

Tiny memory leaks are common and so are background processes building up. After 3 months a noticable performance increase is possible

Hence the restart. 

Though it rarely makes that much of a difference. Depends what programs you run I guess. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nope! I left my PC on for 2 weeks once, chugging along with F@H and BOINC.

Monitored its uptime by using F@H XOC stats lol. Didn't crash once.

Just make sure can't get too hot.

elephants

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Hence the restart. 

Though it rarely makes that much of a difference. Depends what programs you run I guess. 

well in my case, gaming and light video editing

your computer and phone do things even when there "off" like just plunging in there ether net cable it will it start sending packets somewhere... your hdd also dose things at night it seems...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

It will be fine, don't worry about it.

Windows starts getting cranky if you use it daily for a couple months without restarting, but a warm reboot clears that up.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

your computer and phone do things even when there "off" like just plunging in there ether net cable it will it start sending packets somewhere... your hdd also dose things at night it seems...

Mine does party a little, but in the morn they cleaned up all their messes again... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

7 hours ago, mrekk said:

Depends what it is.

If it contains liquid cooling. The answer is No. If it's overclocked, the answer is No.

If it's air-cooled and the fans are all operating at 100%, that's fine. If they're making bearing-wear noises or grinding noises, the answer is no.

1. The temperature in the room gets too hot, and it's unable to cool itself, because you aren't running the Air Conditioning/exhaust fans

2. The computer gets stuck in a failed state where the fans turn off, but the CPU/GPU is still at maxed out.

The former is something that can, and does happen in warm climates. If you're going to leave your computer alone, leave the door to the room with the computer open. If there is a bathroom with a programmable timer for the exhaust fan (required in all humid climates to prevent bathrooms from getting moldy) make sure it's operational. That will take care of the potential overheating scenario.

The latter is a bit harder to anticipate. If you're running Windows and have the power settings set to balance, the fans will spin up and down as needed, but if it BSOD's, it might get stuck in a low state or a boot loop. So I'd actually suggest leaving the fans at a setting where they are always running, never at 0%

I have never had a computer "die" on me despite leaving them on 24/7 (I've literately gone on month-long trips), however I've had incidents happen to the apartment while absent (both involving water leaks), and that's the kind of risk you have to assess before leaving a computer on. Don't put the computer some place where it will be sitting in a pool of water if the room floods (eg the computer should be on your desk,) don't have "top vents" exposed to things that could potentially fall in it during an earthquake, and so forth. 

You can't anticipate everything. But you largely want to avoid a situation where the computer causes a fire due to it's location or proximity to combustible materials.

I actually did an experiment on the subject...

Two identical PCs,the PC the was on 24/7 won and still ongoing,

While the PC that i turned on in the morning and turned off at the evening died a lot earlier.

24/7 PC:  2013 - current day

ON/OFF PC: 2013 - 2016

So i leave all of my PCs on 24\7 based on the results of my experiment and my experience.

I also have a FX 8120 + HD 6970 system from 2011 that is still alive and i leave it on 24\7.

Do you know how many times i heard about PCs dying after being left off for a very long time?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

26 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I actually did an experiment on the subject...

Two identical PCs,the PC the was on 24/7 won and still ongoing,

While the PC that i turned on in the morning and turned off at the evening died a lot earlier.

24/7 PC:  2013 - current day

ON/OFF PC: 2013 - 2016

So i leave all of my PCs on 24\7 based on the results of my experiment and my experience.

I also have a FX 8120 + HD 6970 system from 2011 that is still alive and i leave it on 24\7.

Do you know how many times i heard about PCs dying after being left off for a very long time?

probably has to do with voltage spikes

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

Depends what it is.

would a ryzen 5 3600 clocked at 4ghz with the stock cooler be fine? room temp is 63 degrees fahrenheit

8 minutes ago, mrekk said:

would a ryzen 5 3600 clocked at 4ghz with the stock cooler be fine? room temp is 63 degrees fahrenheit

As long as it's running at it's factory settings and not OC'd, probably fine. If you have it OC'd, then I wouldn't risk it unless the cooling is always set to max. The reason why I say stock would be fine but OC'd not is because OC is more likely to crash and leave the cooling in a non-functional state. If it has yet to crash on you, it's up to you if you want to risk it.

Fire risk assessment is probably the same however.