Peak Peek - Apple officially announces new SE, new iPad Air, M1 Ultra, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Lightwreather
Go to solution Solved by DeeKay86,

Summary

My comprehensive notes from todays Apple Special Event.

Here we go...

Apple Special Event - 8th March 2022

— Tim Cook on stage.

• Starting with AppleTV+.
  • Talking about movies on AppleTV+ getting nominated for awards etc.
  • Apple Original Films: Coda, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Spirited, Luck, Argylle - Seems they have recruited every huge actor for these new Original movies. Pretty impressive!
  • “Something Exciting to share” - Friday Night Baseball - coming to AppleTV+. 2 games that you can only see on AppleTV+.

— Lets talk iPhone!

• Worlds most advanced mobile operating system. A15 processor etc.
  • Introducing 2 new finishes for the iPhone 13/Pro… the leak was true. It’s GREEN. I’m not a huge fan.
  • Pre-Order the new Green this Friday. Launch March 18th.

— Lets talk Apple Silicon - iPhone SE!

• Talking about how the current A15 is best in class etc.
  • A15 Bionic is coming to the NEW iPhone SE (The leak was true… again).
  • More new users have been added to using iPhone than any previous generation (pew pew pew Android lol).

— Francesca Sweet on screen now:

• Talking about the iPhone SE.
  • Talking about the A15 Bionic and how it makes the iPhone SE awesome…
  • I don’t need to take notes on what the A15 Bionic can do… the processor is what we already have in our current iPhone 13/Pro/MAX models.
  • iPhone SE is in 3 colours - Midnight, Starlight and Product Red.
  • Toughest Glass in a smartphone, ever - Front and Back.
  • Same glass as iPhone 13/Pro/MAX.
  • It has TouchID.
  • Better battery life than before.
  • 5G.
  • 12MP Camera (single lens on back).
  • Now she is talking about iOS15. We know all this. Stop wasting my time lol.
  • Smart HDR4.
  • $429 - Pre-Order this Friday. Launch March 18th! Wow that’s cheap!!

— iPad:

• iPad AIR update (yay even this was leaked. Is nothing secret anymore?)

— Angellina on screen now:

• Performance: M1 is coming to iPad AIR!! Wow ok nice - this was only on the new iPad Pro before! Badass.
  • Faster than the fastest competitor.
  • 2x faster than the best selling laptop.
  • She’s talking a lot about the M1 processor now. We know all this already, the M1 is not new (still mega impressive though, crushes the competition).
  • 500 nits.
  • Front camera is 12MP Ultra-Wide! Supports Centre Stage! Nice!!
  • Connectivity - 5G.
  • USB-C port is now 2x faster.
  • Compatible with the Smart Keyboard folio etc.
  • Also supports Apple Pencil 2.0.
  • iPadOS 15 - we already have this so I won’t go in to it too much.
  • New release of iMovie on iPad - looks pretty cool - coming next month.
  • 100% recycled aluminium. 100% recycled rare earth elements etc.
  • Crazy how this new iPad Air is faster than my iPad Pro, and now has the same family of processor as my MacBook Pro lol. Ah, what a time to be alive.
  • Space Grey, Starlight, Pink, Purple, Blue.
  • From $599 - 64GB/256GB (damn that’s cheap for an M1 tablet!)
  • Pre-Order Friday, Launch March 18th!

— Mac!

• Talking about how M1/M1Pro/M1Max MacBooks have no equal. He’s right you know lol.

— John Ternus on screen now talking about Mac.

• M1 ULTRA announced! - Jeez man I just bought the M1Max MacBook Pro for gods sake.
  • This is “for the desktop” - phew!!
  • Starts with M1Max… ok let’s see where this is going!
  • M1Max “has a secret!”
  • Wow, M1Max has a die-to-die connectivity feature!! They can connect 2 M1Max chips to make an ULTRA Processor!
  • UltraFusion Architecture!
  • 2.5TB/s!
  • More than 4x performance of competition!
  • Massive bandwidth and efficiency!
  • 114Billion Transistors - Most EVER in a computer Chip.
  • 800GB/s - 10x faster than the latest PC chip!
  • 128GB Unified Memory!!!! Holy crap.
  • 20-core CPU. 16 High Performance and 4 High Efficiency.
  • 64-Core GPU. 8x faster than M1.
  • 32-Core Neural Engine cores.
  • 2x capable Media Engine (wow).
  • Industry leading performance per watt.
  • Uses 65% less power for more performance compared to PC equivalent!
  • This is game changing.
  • Industry leading security.
  • Software see’s the M1Ultra as a single piece of silicon!
  • Developers are now talking about the M1Ultra. They all love it. Surprised? Nope.

— Here we go - Talking about “The Studio”. The leak is obviously real lol.

• Introducing and announcing… the MAC STUDIO!! - and STUDIO DISPLAY.
  • Ok that is pretty stunning. Wow.
  • Uses M1Max and M1ULTRA.

— Colleen Novielli on screen now.

• Design: Exterior is 7.7inches Square. 3.7Inches high. Single piece of Aluminium.
  • Sucks in air at the base.
  • 2 fans at the top.
  • Rear exhaust.
  • It is super efficient and quiet. You will barely ever hear it.
  • Connectivity: 4 Thunderbolt 4 ports.
  • 10GB Ethernet (nice!!)
  • 2x USB-A.
  • HDMI.
  • Pro-Audio 3.5mm jack.
  • WiFi 6.
  • Bluetooth 5.
  • SDXC-Card Reader at front.
  • 2x USB-C 19Gbps at front / Thunderbolt 4.
  • 4x Pro Display XDR support + 4K TV.
  • Performance: 50% faster than Mac Pro with Xeon - Ouch to everyone who bought that one.
  • 90% faster than 16-core Mac Pro with Xeon and 60% faster than the Mac Pro with 28-core Xeon! Wtf seriously wow.
  • Ok we get it, M1Ultra is INSANE lol - this is just embarrassing the competition at this point. Wow.
  • 48GB Video Memory! WTF.
  • Up to 128GB Unified Memory.
  • 7.4GB/s SSD - up to 8TB!
  • M1Ultra 800GB/s memory bandwidth. (400GB/s for M1Max version).
  • 18 steams of 8K ProRes 4.2.2 video. No other computer in the world can do this. Holy hell.
  • M1Max Mac Studio is 3.4x faster than the fastest iMac.
  • M1Ultra Mac Studio is 80% faster!
  • I have to say, the Mac Studio is a stunning bit of kit. It’s so damn sexy! I’m happy with my M1Max MacBook Pro though! Woop!
  • Uses far less energy than competitors. 100% recycled rare earth elements etc.

— Talking Mac Studio Display: Nicole on screen now.

• Design: All screen design - but it has bezels - (pretty big bezels…!)
  • Slim profile.
  • 30 degrees of tilt.
  • You can add a tilt/height stand if you like (extra add-on).
  • VESA adapter option (extra add-on lol).
  • 27” 14.7million 218PPI. 5K Retina!
  • 600 nits.
  • P3 wide colour gamut.
  • TrueTone.
  • Anti-Reflective coating.
  • Nano-texture glass option (add-on haha).
  • A13 Bionic is BUILT IN to the display - surprising. Pretty cool!
  • Camera and Audio system. 12MP Ultra-Wide (same as iPad).
  • Supports Centre Stage (on Mac for the first time).
  • 3 “studio quality” mic array.
  • 6 speaker sound system: 4 subwoofers/2 high performance tweeters.
  • Multichannel surround sound with spatial audio / Dolby Atmos.
  • By far the highest fidelity speakers ever in a Mac.
  • Best combo of Camera and Audio ever in a desktop display.
  • 3x USB-C 10Gbps.
  • 1x Thunderbolt 4 port the provides 96w of power for charging MacBook.
  • Connect 3 Studio Displays to MacBook Pro.
  • New Silver and Black colour options for Magic Keyboard and Trackpad etc.
  • 100% recycled rare earth elements etc.
  • Pair it with Any Mac - like MacBook Pro, AIR, Mini and Studio.
  • Showing off the Mac Studio and Studio Display with a very cool little video lol.
  • M1Max Mac Studio STARTS FROM $1999 / M1Ultra Mac Studio STARTS FROM $3999.
  • Studio Display starts at $1599 - configure it up from there.
  • Pre-Order NOW - Available on March 18th.
  • Mac PRO - Coming SOON - but they will NOT show it today! (Seriously, how much better can it get? This is insanity! The “Pro” is going to be disgustingly powerful).

— Tim Cook black on stage.

• Show close.

Notes by: DeeKay86. I hope you enjoyed my notes! I am a bit of a freak and I do this for pretty much every large event many companies put on. I won't advertise my socials here as I think its not allowed lol.

Summary

Apple will be holding its next event online on March 8th, the company announced today with an invite featuring the “peek performance” tagline, and multicolored Apple logo that could hint at the colors of new devices.

The company didn’t disclose further details about what the virtual event will entail, beyond the timing set for 1PM ET / 10AM PT.

Screen_Shot_2022_03_02_at_12.03.10_PM.0.

Expectations:

Source: Mark Gurmin,

• Low-cost iPhone SE -  The new device, he suggests, will arrive with 5G, a faster A15 CPU chip, and better cameras. It will share the same design as the current iPhone SE, however, which means the new SE may also retain the Touch ID feature.
  • iPad Air - The new tablet is expected to arrive with a new CPU and 5G for cellular-equipped models. Apple, Gurman postulates, could additionally roll out the new iOS 15.4 update, making it possible to unlock Face ID-equipped iPhones and iPads while wearing a face mask. A Universal Control feature is additionally expected to make its debut with the new update, which would mean users could use one keyboard and mouse across multiple iPads and Macs.
  • Macs, Unlikely - It’s also rumored another Mac with Apple-designed chips may arrive in March, but that won’t be something we’ll likely see at this particular event.

My thoughts

New Apple event incoming. But this seems to be a rather boring event (to me at least). The rumour mill has produced a roster given above, that I might update if more info comes to light before the event. A new iPhone SE does pique (pun intended) my interest a bit, and new iPad airs don't really appeal to me. The unlikely announcement of new macs might change the rather "Meh" feelings I have to this event but that's unlikely. Maybe someone is excited about this, to you, enjoy (Oh and make a post here that summarises all that was announced, chances are I won't be able to update this post).

Sources

TheVerge

Bloomberg

Apple

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

9 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Summary

Apple will be holding its next event online on March 8th, the company announced today with an invite featuring the “peek performance” tagline, and multicolored Apple logo that could hint at the colors of new devices.

The company didn’t disclose further details about what the virtual event will entail, beyond the timing set for 1PM ET / 10AM PT.

Expectations:

Source: Mark Gurmin,

• Low-cost iPhone SE -  The new device, he suggests, will arrive with 5G, a faster A15 CPU chip, and better cameras. It will share the same design as the current iPhone SE, however, which means the new SE may also retain the Touch ID feature.
  • iPad Air - The new tablet is expected to arrive with a new CPU and 5G for cellular-equipped models. Apple, Gurman postulates, could additionally roll out the new iOS 15.4 update, making it possible to unlock Face ID-equipped iPhones and iPads while wearing a face mask. A Universal Control feature is additionally expected to make its debut with the new update, which would mean users could use one keyboard and mouse across multiple iPads and Macs.
  • Macs, Unlikely - It’s also rumored another Mac with Apple-designed chips may arrive in March, but that won’t be something we’ll likely see at this particular event.

My thoughts

New Apple event incoming. But this seems to be a rather boring event (to me at least). The rumour mill has produced a roster given above, that I might update if more info comes to light before the event. A new iPhone SE does pique (pun intended) my interest a bit, and new iPad airs don't really appeal to me. The unlikely announcement of new macs might change the rather "Meh" feelings I have to this event but that's unlikely. Maybe someone is excited about this, to you, enjoy (Oh and make a post here that summarises all that was announced, chances are I won't be able to update this post).

Sources

TheVerge

Bloomberg

Apple

I really don't want to do the whole "this game was leaked and teased for too long and after how good the last one was I am expecting utter perfection" thing to happen here. I am purposefully avoiding M2 stuff, especially since I can't afford any of it anyways. the thing I am excited about is the redesign of the MacBook Air, I was disappointed at how it looks the exact same as before. Same goes with the MacBook Pro base model. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:41 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

I was disappointed at how it looks the exact same as before.

It's a long-standing Apple tradition for the first models of a new platform to come in their immediate predecessors' cases.

Quadras became the first gen Power Macs.

The beige G3 was basically a shorter Power Mac 8600, and the desktop was nearly identical to the Power Mac 7000-series.

The last PowerPC Macs (Power Mac G5, G4 Mini, iMac G5, PowerBook G4) became the first Intel Macs (Mac Pro, Intel Core Mac Mini, Polycarbonate iMac, MacBook Pro)

Intel Mac Mini and Macbooks became M1 Mac Mini and Macbooks.

It's always the second generation that debuts substantial design change.

Beige G3 to Blue and White G3

Aluminum MacBook Pro to Unibody MacBook Pro

Plastic Mac Mini to Unibody Aluminum Mac Mini

Plastic Intel iMac to Unibody Intel iMac

Cheesegrater to Trash Can

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

It's a long-standing Apple tradition for the first models of a new platform to come in their immediate predecessors' cases.

Doesn't mean that it's a good thing. The most famous of their devices, mostly the Clamshell G3 and the iMac G3, would have done better initially than their beige/white counterparts. I don't understand why it's a tradition. Especially for a brand that thrives off of how things look and feel. 

LOOK it's a shiny new computer with shiny new parts! vs LOOK it's that exact same boring 8 year old+ computer just with shiny new parts on the inside!

28 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Low-cost iPhone SE -  The new device, he suggests, will arrive with 5G, a faster A15 CPU chip, and better cameras. It will share the same design as the current iPhone SE, however, which means the new SE may also retain the Touch ID feature.

Seriously? We have the same iPhone 8 design?

No upgraded X or XR or 11 camera setup?

Ah well I suppose it's cheap.

PLEASE Apple redo the series so it's "iPhone SE 1", "iPhone SE 2", not "iPhone SE (2016)" and "iPhone SE (2020)". iOS doesn't report the year which one so it gets hopelessly confusing sometimes.

elephants

57 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

PLEASE Apple redo the series so it's "iPhone SE 1", "iPhone SE 2", not "iPhone SE (2016)" and "iPhone SE (2020)". iOS doesn't report the year which one so it gets hopelessly confusing sometimes.

It isn't terrible. especially since one has an iPhone 5 case and one has an iPhone 8 case. It's usually pretty easy to tell the two apart, especially since the first one is significantly smaller in every way. I mean, just look at those top and bottom bezels lol.

image.png.bdd99dcc011d064ae580f7ec52556134.png

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

It isn't terrible. especially since one has an iPhone 5 case and one has an iPhone 8 case. It's usually pretty easy to tell the two apart, especially since the first one is significantly smaller in every way. I mean, just look at those top and bottom bezels lol.

In physical appearance it's easy, but many people ask questions about their "SE" and don't say which.

elephants

Seems there might be something up, becuase LMG videos have been doing that "Linus is bitter that Apple ignores him" thing he does everytime he's left out when there's some new PR event.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

16 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

iPhone XR body has been rumoured for SE 4 which is probably coming out in 2024 or 2025

16 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

It can get confusing though the A____ model number is still inside the software. IOS should probably display the year though IMO.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It can get confusing though the A____ model number is still inside the software. IOS should probably display the year though IMO.

Really? I only see it list this kind of model: MX9A2LL/A. Not A2275 which is the equivalent.

elephants

25 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Really? I only see it list this kind of model: MX9A2LL/A. Not A2275 which is the equivalent.

At least on newer models, tap the model number once and it changes to the Axxxx number:

IMG_2048.jpg.d0de9b5febe3a9a59c07910c9d4e3b79.jpg

22 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

To be fair the iPhone 8 body is pretty popular so I isn't really the bad. I know my sister who has the se prefers that style body and would probably like it even more than the xr body tbh. 

The first thing I see is the colors as an infinity mirror style stacked reflection.  So, I'm going to go down the complete no-basis thought train based on their title as well.

Regardless of rumors, if we see something like a mac mini refresh, I wouldn't be surprised to see bits of the Apple Silicon based Mac Pro as spoiler data, and massive parallelization to do the performance that a Mac Pro would typically have compared to the rest of the lineup.  "Stacking" computers/processors to create higher compute capabilities isn't a new concept, and with the various interconnects available today it should be possible to do it reasonably, even if not perfectly.  Certainly far better than has been done a lot in the past with things like "Big Mac" done over networking to create super computers.

OK, there's the end of my hyperbolic no-basis rumor thought train. 🙂

If I were to make an actual guess though, they're more making a play on words towards the AR headset though, and while it won't have hard everything, they may announce bits of it along with the expected devices, to allow developers to prepare for it, and to hype people and the stock market.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an M2-based MacBook Air given the colors and tagline (the rumors have the M2 MacBook Air shipping in iMac-style colors), but for now I'll be cautious and limit my expectations to iPad Air and iPhone SE updates.

Oh god, please don't be a new iPhone SE.... (just bought a new iPhone recently)

Also... Happy International Apples Day?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I really wish they beef up the battery on the SE.. That's probably my next phone, and battery is the only thing that I hate about the current model.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

It's a poisoned apple in a walled garden. 

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

So apparently Luke Miani thinks that we might see a certain Mac Studio this event:

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

So, the iPhone SE with A15 and 5G has been announced.

(missed the image)

New iPad air WITH M1.

Claimed performance of 2x than windows laptops in price range.

Supports centre stage and 5G

image.thumb.png.e61b5a6a8c65a02ed4e1180f8b58e909.png

Starts at 599 USD

Edited by J-from-Nucleon

Lol love how they fat shame the comparable windows laptop. You know the marketing person for this was like "go find me the fattest cheap laptop that you can".

M1 Ultra just announced.

Plus UltraFusion chiplet tech

144 Billion transistors

800Gb/s Memory bandwidth

128gigs of emmory

image.png.b6d7c2ac4513bb18e3133e9c43c3510e.png

32 NPUs.

8x M1 GPU perf.

image.thumb.png.db7191bb59047e5fa0940fab30043508.png

image.thumb.png.8e750a359fe4dc88aee792a6e9cf1293.png

image.thumb.png.9df3191e9daac385c3dd0ff32b4fa807.png

Just now, J-from-Nucleon said:

M1 Ultra

D4C2D0AA-E8F8-418F-96EA-9997E03D9B71.thumb.png.ee182e274264d2fbda5e2e632a07b8ae.png

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

So M1 Ultra is basically two M1 Max’s. Looking forward to the reviews on these one..

Spoiler

F46A11F7-03D5-4832-A260-F32FFF4F7063.thumb.png.8537bbba87f8bf80b17d0dd1b92a162c.png
FBBCDE78-2DDF-4355-83E7-E82A0992A345.thumb.png.c2c68892c18c97490206e2bed6e8096f.png

72382C65-44AA-434E-A1B3-76296AFC3C9C.thumb.png.c5fc6f19ec73a9cd8959f378e8795ee4.png

BB43C85A-C81E-4B53-B273-C0DB3A82677C.thumb.png.68569811381f003c288f495ea6e5cad8.png

^

VPN Server Guide

Gonna have to call it there, it's getting pretty late for me. This event is shaping upto be something interesting. Can someone takeover this? Thanks.