Is a laptop with Pentium Silver N6000, 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD enough for totally basic tasks?

My mother need a computer and found this: Acer Extensa EX215-32-P9U8 (non english site)

She need this for browsing the internet (with maximum 2-3 tabs), doing some video calls via facebook and sometimes watch youtube.

Full specs:

- Intel® Pentium® Silver N6000 Quad Core (4M Cache, 1.10 - 3.30 GHz)

- 4GB DDR4

- 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD

- 15.6" (FHD) IPS

- 3 years warranty

I really can't spend more.

No.

The 4gb ram makes it not usable for even basic tasks, a single tab with facebook open would fill it up. The ssd in there is basically a glorified emmc drive so very slow.

So pretty much no this laptop sucks don't get it you would be very much so better off getting a used older laptop.

Just upgrade it to 8GB of RAM and it's fine. I have an 11.6" Pentium quad core laptop from ~2015 that I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and it's still fine for basic use. It has a Pentium N3700 I think. The N6000 it quite a lot better.

Just be sure it can be upgraded before you buy it.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Reading the website you posted sorry if I miss read but go for the 8 GB model of ram. 

You be good for what you want to use it for.   

29 minutes ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

Just upgrade it to 8GB of RAM and it's fine. I have an 11.6" Pentium quad core laptop from ~2015 that I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and it's still fine for basic use. It has a Pentium N3700 I think. The N6000 it quite a lot better.

Just be sure it can be upgraded before you buy it.

It can be upgraded and an 8gb model exists for a little bit more. Which i would encourage op to get as the 4gb one will be terrible but the 8gb one will be quite ok.

Tested with my old work laptop now as I haven’t used a PC with less then 8GB in a long time. It has a 4GB and a 8GB stick, pulled out the 8GB stick. Youtube 1080p 60fps is no problem. 4k 60fps was choppy, but it was maxing out the CPU, not the ram. Did some more tests, feels absolutely fine. Reinstalled the 8GB stick, taking it to 12GB total, cant feel any difference. 4k 60fps is still choppy, confirming that it is the CPU holding it back. The CPU is a i5-4210 and it has a new install of Windows 10 pro with all updates

Conclusion is that 4GB is acceptable for basic tasks, but you should try to keep the Windows installation as clean as possible and of course 8GB would be preferred 

I've got a little Lenovo Ideapad Flex 3 with Pentium Silver N5030, 4gb ram 256gb ssd and a 256gb micro ssd, Running Win 11. It works ok with Facebook, email, youtube, movies etc. It does what I want and works better than I expected, but I've never really pushed it. 8gb mem would be nice, but I've never really missed it. ( I have another laptop for normal usage) Just have her keep tabs and windows to a minimum. After all, it'd be better than nothing.

Edited by RyleyI

For what it is wanted for, perfect. As for 4GB of RAM, no problem and jaslion  obviously hasn't had much experience if he says that it won't work.

I have one laptop, ASUS T100 with 2GB of RAM and 30GB of solid state disk. I does exactly what is wanted. I use it as a "screwdriver", use it to fix other people's computer problems as well as a traveling laptop.

Another laptop, eMachines, we have and have had for more than a decade also only has 2GB. It does exactly what is wanted by your mother.

Our really powerful laptop, Lenovo, has in the specs, 2GB. It is out being used so I can't check it.

About 8 Toshiba Tecras, they might have as much as 4GB and all go and do what you want.

All of these have Linux Mint Cinnamon installed except the eMachines with an old Linux MATE.

I've installed about 40 systems so might know what I'm doing.

NOTE - I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon to get away from the problems that she will have with Windows.

No updates breaking things, no virus problems, it will just simply keep going, simply.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

For what it is wanted for, perfect. As for 4GB of RAM, no problem and jaslion  obviously hasn't had much experience if he says that it won't work.

I have one laptop, ASUS T100 with 2GB of RAM and 30GB of solid state disk. I does exactly what is wanted. I use it as a "screwdriver", use it to fix other people's computer problems as well as a traveling laptop.

Another laptop, eMachines, we have and have had for more than a decade also only has 2GB. It does exactly what is wanted by your mother.

Our really powerful laptop, Lenovo, has in the specs, 2GB. It is out being used so I can't check it.

About 8 Toshiba Tecras, they might have as much as 4GB and all go and do what you want.

All of these have Linux Mint Cinnamon installed except the eMachines with an old Linux MATE.

NOTE - I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon to get away from the problems that she will have with Windows.

No updates breaking things, no virus problems, it will just simply keep going, simply.

While using a basic Linux install on these low-end Notebooks works just fine, but the main issue is the weak CPU/SoC.

2 hours ago, RollyShed said:

I very much disagree with everything you said there. I will say, RAM is not the major issue with anything with a Celeron unless you are running Windows. CPU is a problem whatever operating system you install. I had my fair share of shitty low end laptops in the last 15 years and I would not recommend anyone a Celeron machine whatever it is. I got a N3060 w/4G ram and a 850 Evo sitting right next to me, HW acceleration is broken in linux (only partially works if you use Firefox and h264ify and couple of browser flag tweaks), meaning even watching videos is a total shit show. I agree with @jaslionthat anything Celeron is not worth getting.

Recommending Linux to anyone who isnt computer savvy is also a shitty advice.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Recommending Linux to anyone who isn't computer savvy is also a shitty advice.

So how come someone who hadn't used a computer before found no problems with Linux Mint?

Or someone having used Windows for decades can simply carry on using her computer as if nothing had changed after Microsoft had wiped her computer and she was now using Linux Mint the next morning?

How come a user trying to get her assignments done on Windows, moved to Linux Mint, finished her assignments, got her qualifications and a job with no problems?

Or J trying to sort out his financial problems, now using Linux Mint and GnuCash.

Our previous Treasurer used Windows and GnuCash, the new one has one of the Shed's Linux Mint laptops and has no problems and it is the same programme he is using.

How many more "it is simple to use" stories do you want?

How many Linux Mint installations have you done for other users?

And don't go on about needing to know about Terminal use, none of them know it exists.

2 hours ago, RollyShed said:

So how come someone who hadn't used a computer before found no problems with Linux Mint?

Or someone having used Windows for decades can simply carry on using her computer as if nothing had changed after Microsoft had wiped her computer and she was now using Linux Mint the next morning?

How come a user trying to get her assignments done on Windows, moved to Linux Mint, finished her assignments, got her qualifications and a job with no problems?

Or J trying to sort out his financial problems, now using Linux Mint and GnuCash.

Our previous Treasurer used Windows and GnuCash, the new one has one of the Shed's Linux Mint laptops and has no problems and it is the same programme he is using.

How many more "it is simple to use" stories do you want?

How many Linux Mint installations have you done for other users?

And don't go on about needing to know about Terminal use, none of them know it exists.

Funny how all your argument consists of 5 examples and making the assumption that all hardware is equal and will result in this alleged "hassle free" experience. You are making a overall generalization, which is not the case especially when using a GNU/Linux operating system.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

31 minutes ago, Levent said:

Funny how all your argument consists of 5 examples and making the assumption that all hardware is equal and will result in this alleged "hassle free" experience. You are making a overall generalization, which is not the case especially when using a GNU/Linux operating system.

Five examples, just how many do you need? Yes, there's only about 40 installations I've done for people who use those installations every day.

Generalization? What about "recommending Linux to anyone who isn't computer savvy is also a shitty advice." being a generalization?

And the main question how many users have you set up?

"case especially when using a GNU/Linux operating system." - what case? Most definitely a generalization.

7 hours ago, RollyShed said:

This is a windows laptop 4gb of ram for windows IS NOT ENOUGH. Saying go linux is not a solution for most people. Which is loose from the problem here. The problem is a device that is not capable of doing what op wants without struggling or starting to patch things up. Which is not something a BRAND NEW COMPUTER should have to deal with.

The problem here is is that in it's current config it is a BAD WINDOWS LAPTOP. It can become an ok windows one by simply getting the 8gb version. I deal with this garbage multiple times a week still and it is such an annoyance. A pentium n6000 is fine for most people doing very light tasks. Even the older n4000 or n4020 are. I don't agree with the level of bad performance they offer and I know they will have trouble with the web within the next 5 years at most. But they work for now and that is enough for a lot of people AS LONG AS THEY HAVE 8GB OF RAM. These are easily disposable laptops due to their price. BUT it means you have to make sure to not buy the wrong one because otherwise you end up with a already barely usable device on day one. Hell even the ones with a hdd are acceptable enough. Yes by all means get the ssd but as long as 8gb of ram is there they are USABLE.

So op get the 8gb version and you are good to go.

As for my reply to you. LINUX IS NOT AN OPTION FOR CASUAL COMPUTER USERS. This is a hard truth. I HIGHLY doubt what you are saying is true or you are just very ok with slow systems.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

Five examples, just how many do you need? Yes, there's only about 40 installations I've done for people who use those installations every day.

Generalization? What about "recommending Linux to anyone who isn't computer savvy is also a shitty advice." being a generalization?

"case especially when using a GNU/Linux operating system." - what case? Most definitely a generalization.

My number is smaller, around 130. We tested out deployment on non-critical teams and all of them demanded that we give them an Windows machine. This is an IT/software company too. None of the machines had issues with typical suspects like wireless network interfaces. Typical bitching included: I need this software to run on windows, battery life sucks, I cant do this and that. We had to take every machine and replace them with Windows machines the very next week, which was super fun.

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

As for my reply to you. LINUX IS NOT AN OPTION FOR CASUAL COMPUTER USERS. This is a hard truth. I HIGHLY doubt what you are saying is true or you are just very ok with slow systems.

So you are saying I'm telling lies. OK, you are basically ignorant. Totally ignorant.

I have here, in this room, two users of Linux, my partner and myself. There is nothing she cannot do with her Linux Mint system. Running a business, accounts, payments, banking. Learning the violin. Corresponding with relations around the world (email). Downloading music (web browsing). Downloading and printing music documents which includes writing them as well. Music, writing out the notes and all. Editing PDFs where needed.

Myself, image editing, writing articles for newspapers. Maintaining websites, six of them. Listening to music downloaded and striped to mp3 and editing where necessary. Tracing information on servicing a wide range of items, electrical and mechanical. Reading people on forums on the web who are ignorant. There is also the designing of a building.

And a major, computer maintenance, software and hardware. I've only been doing that for 40+ years.

As for Linux, played around with it a bit for about 20+ years, Linux Mint full time use for about 10 years.

As for slow systems, what do you mean slow? Remember the 500 fastest computer in the world run Linux.

If you want slow, use Windows. And yes, I've had to help out with other users and SLOW is something most noticeable about them.

We're not talking gaming computers, just everyday use of desktops and laptops.

36 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

So you are saying I'm telling lies. OK, you are basically ignorant. Totally ignorant.

I have here, in this room, two users of Linux, my partner and myself. There is nothing she cannot do with her Linux Mint system. Running a business, accounts, payments, banking. Learning the violin. Corresponding with relations around the world (email). Downloading music (web browsing). Downloading and printing music documents which includes writing them as well. Music, writing out the notes and all. Editing PDFs where needed.

Myself, image editing, writing articles for newspapers. Maintaining websites, six of them. Listening to music downloaded and striped to mp3 and editing where necessary. Tracing information on servicing a wide range of items, electrical and mechanical. Reading people on forums on the web who are ignorant. There is also the designing of a building.

And a major, computer maintenance, software and hardware. I've only been doing that for 40+ years.

As for Linux, played around with it a bit for about 20+ years, Linux Mint full time use for about 10 years.

As for slow systems, what do you mean slow? Remember the 500 fastest computer in the world run Linux.

If you want slow, use Windows. And yes, I've had to help out with other users and SLOW is something most noticeable about them.

We're not talking gaming computers, just everyday use of desktops and laptops.

You kinda missed my entire point?

My entire point is that linux for someone that used windows their whole life isn't somthing to just simply step over to. It's a commitment and there will be issues.

Then the slow devices are personal slow computers I was talking about.

For op all this isn't appicable when they can just avoid purchasing a slower system when there are others out there for a similar price wihtout the drawbacks and not having to resort to other solutions that shouldn't even be needed in the first place.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

You kinda missed my entire point?

My entire point is that linux for someone that used windows their whole life isn't somthing to just simply step over to. It's a commitment and there will be issues.

Missed your entire point when you said, "I HIGHLY doubt what you are saying is true".

That indicates you are saying I'm lying.

As for someone who has used Windows their entire life, decades, and steps over to using Linux Mint, I've done it, I've seen it, I live with it and she never has a problem because of it. I've seen others do it too.

As for a long time Windows user, XP to 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. What sort of jumps are those? More so than a jump from Win7 to Linux Mint.

I do wonder if you know how to set up a system to make it user friendly and obvious how things work.

The OP wants a computer to do emails(?) and look at Facebook, look at the web. Absolutely basic items. Her internet connection is most likely to be slower than the computer as far as speed goes.

A lot of disagreement about a basic, inexpensive computer to be used "for totally basic tasks" as the original post stated. He said he also has a limited budget. I HAVE such a computer (also a M17R4, and Desktop). It works fine for basic internet, youtube etc. I've recently installed Win 11 on it, it still works fine for the basic tasks his mother will be doing. I've even installed Bluestacks on it and played the Android game "Star Trek Fleet Command" on it. If it is the computer that he's looking at or nothing....