Same same, but different - Pixel 7 design leaks

Lightwreather

Summary

The Pixel 6 is just a few months old, but the first leaks of the Pixel 7 designs are out. Google seems to have sent the CAD files to the case manufacturing industry recently, since both Steve Hemmerstoffer (aka OnLeaks) and David Kowalski (aka xleaks7) have posted Pixel 7 renders today.

Quotes

Leaks, but them in spoilers just incase you don't want to see it:

Spoiler

Two phones side-by-side.

The side of the Pixel 7 Pro render.

These unofficial render leaks are usually based on measurements Google needs to send to third parties in order to have accessories (like cases) ready for their release dates. That means the shape of everything should be accurate down to the millimeter, but finer details (like materials, colors, or the placement of camera lenses inside a camera block) could still be up in the air. Even with those caveats, there's no getting around the big picture presented by both renders: the Pixel 7 looks like the Pixel 6.

Speaking of continuity, the Pixel 6 introduced the Google Tensor SoC, which was made in collaboration with Samsung's Exynos division. For the Pixel 7, we know a Tensor 2 is already in the works. 9to5Google was able to dig up some code names and model numbers related to the chip, which will supposedly ship with an unannounced "Exynos Modem 5300."

The camera block details on these early renders are always the shakiest parts, but both renders show really big lens holes that could point to upgraded camera hardware. Again, upgrading the camera hardware every year is normal for most manufacturers, but that would be a big maturation point for Google Hardware, which previously recycled the Sony IMX362/3 sensor in the Pixel 2, 3, 4, and 5. Google appears to have moved the mmWave window on the top edge of the phone in both models. Currently, the window is a big plastic cutout in the middle of the phone, and in these renders the window is moved to the side.

My thoughts

So apparently Google will be keeping their Pizel 6 design for the Pixel 7. I'll be honest, I'm all for it. I actually really like the design. As usual, take these with a grain of salt as these are still rumours and speculaiton, however since these are renders based on files sent to case manufacturers, I'm willing to give a bit of leeway.

Sources

ArsTechnica

SmartPrix

Xleaks7 - Twitter

9too5Google

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Google leaks like a sieve. This isn't that surprising. The Pixel 6 was already almost a known quantity by the time the Pixel 5 came out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

39 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

...the CAD files...

*searches, sees no CAD files attached*

peek | Trending Gifs

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

*searches, sees no CAD files attached*

Oooh, sorry. I know how much you like your cad files.

But these aren't available on the interwebs....... yet

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I'm all for saving costs by reusing tooling in product lines, it's going to benefit them in the long run but i also have to expect the same minor changes like that camera bump to prevent any cases being cross gen compatible.

(the biggest polluter in the phone space by far is case manufacturers, all caused by minor generation changes obsoleting b/millions of cases)

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Now I can sleep well, knowing that I won't miss out on anything with the Pixel 6 Pro that I bought last year. Tho I hope they go back to a similar design to the Pixel 5. That was the most comfortable and attractive phone Google ever released. 

And will most definitely be the worst android device you can buy out of the bunch. When Chinese OEM are better than you it's time to start to re-evaluate how you do things.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>