"Wait, weren't we supposed to be the bad guys?"; Intel pledges to invest a billion dollars into foundry startups, joins RISC-V International

BachChain

Summary

Intel Foundry Services and Intel Capital today announced the creation of an investment fund aimed at semiconductor foundry startups and small businesses. The fund, totaling at one billion dollars, is intended to help develop disruptive technology and reduce time-to-market, with an emphasis on MCMs and RISC-V. This came alongside the announcement of Intel joining RISC-V International, a nonprofit intended to help promote the RISC-V ISA.

Quotes

Intel is an innovation powerhouse, but we know that not all good ideas originate from within our four walls,” said Randhir Thakur, president of Intel Foundry Services. “Innovation thrives in open and collaborative environments. This $1 billion fund in partnership with Intel Capital – a recognized leader in venture capital investing – will marshal the full resources of Intel to drive innovation in the foundry ecosystem.

A robust ecosystem is critical to helping foundry customers bring their designs to life using IFS technologies. The new innovation fund was created to strengthen the ecosystem in three ways:

• Equity investments in disruptive startups.
  • Strategic investments to accelerate partner scale-up.
  • Ecosystem investments to develop disruptive capabilities supporting IFS customers.

My thoughts

I have a feeling this little more than Intel letting these companies do all the hard work before buying them and taking the fruits for themselves.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-1b-fund-risc-v

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-launches-1-billion-fund-build-foundry-innovation-ecosystem.html

it's like they're coming up on tax season with a very successful set of 12th gen launches and a higher than usual margin year and need to hide the profits into "infrastructure investments" or "investment funds for small businesses we will later buy and merge into our own company" which can be filed for depreciation and losses over the next 10 tax years.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Would not be the first time Intel tried to break away from x86. Getting some competing designs going could be useful down the road. Grow that talent pool, and you have good pickings for when you finally want to jump to RISC-V in earnest. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Wait, this is a version of "If you can't buy 'em, join 'em?"

Wel, either way, having the backing of a large tech giant, especially one in the same space, seems like a good thing.....

Unless they try to pull a google

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Wait, this is a version of "If you can't buy 'em, join 'em?"

i mean, its not dumb, they dont even need to outright buy anything, they can just hire some of the talent (later on, if needed)

Intel knows the x86 architecture is long past its prime…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

They most likely know it's a good chance ARM will take over for x86 over long time, so they want to invest in something that could possibly take over ARM in the long run.

Seem logical to me.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

ARM is a sensible intermediate solution before we turn to RISCV which is basically ARM without crippling license costs that even shy off giants like Google and Nvidia (they heavily invested into RISCV to use such cores for control tasks on their hardware platforms which used to be ARM).