No longer buying from Newegg?

whm1974

So after watching this ~25 Minute Video from Gamers Nexus about how hard it was for him to get a ~$500 refund. And in addiction to reselling Defective Gibibyte PSU that were a fire hazard with GPUs, he advise not buying from them. Weren't they brought out by a Company located in China?  I advised a friend to order a Windows 7 Disc and it arrived broken in the Mail. It was wrapped in Bubble Wrap in Padded Packaging. They later shipped back a EVGA Bronze 80+ PSU instead of a New Disc.  🤦‍♂️

I end up installing Linux to a low spec machine he had. And buying the PSU for $50. That is now a spare part... From now on I'm buying Computer Parts from either Amazon or bhphoto.

8 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So after watching this ~25 Minute Video from Gamers Nexus about how hard it was for him to get a ~$500 refund. And in addiction to reselling Defective Gibibyte PSU that were a fire hazard with GPUs, he advise not buying from them. Weren't they brought out by a Company located in China?  I advised a friend to order a Windows 7 Disc and it arrived broken in the Mail. It was wrapped in Bubble Wrap in Padded Packaging. They later shipped back a EVGA Bronze 80+ PSU instead of a New Disc.  🤦‍♂️

I end up installing Linux to a low spec machine he had. And buying the PSU for $50. That is now a spare part... From now on I'm buying Computer Parts from either Amazon or bhphoto.

He actually stated he would personally never use them again, but will continue using them for his business, Gamers Nexus, as supply and availability is likely an issue they run into frequently.

However, I'm sure his experience has drastically changed his perspective, as it should.

I certainly wouldn't feel confident in any purchase I made through Scamegg.

They've made too many shady business practices even prior to this latest debacle.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Since the buyout they went from one of the best online stores to one of the worst. I avoid them.

These days I buy as much as I can from Amazon. Never had a problem returning anything there and they have the best prices. Only problem is they don't always have everything.

I haven't bought any PC parts from them in a long time, but I have recently bought car parts from them and it was a pleasant experience. They have good prices and they shipped it all quickly, however I would hesistate to buy from them in the future after watching Gamers Nexus's video on them

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Yeah, I don't buy from newegg unless it says "shipped by newegg".

I avoid newegg and haven't bought anything from them after I nearly got screwed on a motherboard which got destroyed in shipping because newegg didn't put enough padding in the box, I had to talk with customer support on the phone and they wanted me to deal with the shipping carrier but I convinced them to look at photos of the damaged mobo and I ended up getting a replacement.

Newegg isn't the same after they got bought out, their return process can be a pain compared to amazon, and after watching the Gamers Nexus video I won't be buying anything from newegg.

15 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah, I don't buy from newegg unless it says "shipped by newegg".

Unfortunately that wouldn't have helped you in this situation either, as the mobo was sold and shipped by Newegg directly.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Now I'm counting down until Newegg is no longer in Business, 1... 2... 3...

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

They'll get bought and sold a few more times and end up just being one of those weird off brand internet malls...oh wait they pretty much are that already.

19 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Unfortunately that wouldn't have helped you in this situation either, as the mobo was sold and shipped by Newegg directly.

Yep, many people bringing up the fly-by-night third-party storefronts, which are an issue, but in this case it was Newegg themselves screwing over a customer. And not an isolated incident, if what GN said about all the people who wrote in with similar experiences is to be believed. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yep, many people bringing up the fly-by-night third-party storefronts, which are an issue, but in this case it was Newegg themselves screwing over a customer. And not an isolated incident, if what GN said about all the people who wrote in with similar experiences is to be believed. 

Strange enough I've purchased a Refurbish Thinkpad T430 from them and no issues what so ever with it.

34 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Strange enough I've purchased a Refurbish Thinkpad T430 from them and no issues what so ever with it.

It souldn't be strange. It's not an all or nothing situation. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are not. You roll the dice.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

You're counting up, not down 😉

I almost bought from NewEgg, but after inquiring about what happens if there's a shipping issue and having them tell me I'm the one that deals with the shipper, I swore them off. Not my responsibility, it's theirs. Horrible company.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

It souldn't be strange. It's not an all or nothing situation. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are not. You roll the dice.

Yeah but it was after I advised him to buy a legal copy of Windows 7 on Disc. If I had him order a W7 USB stick instead...

Yeah, I deleted my wishlists on Newegg, not gonna buy anything there again.

Sadly, looks like it'll be Amazon from now on. Or BHphoto.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I haven't bought anything from NewEgg in years. The last time was shortly after they started the third-party marketplace listings. They still have the best interface for distilling the catalog down to the parts that match certain criteria, but their customer support fell off a cliff.

Since then I've only bought computer stuff from Amazon, B&H, eBay, and Micro Center.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

i bought my 3080 card last year from them and its been 10 years before that when i bought my x58 with a bent bin.  Only reason i bought the card was i actually  got it in my card to buy

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I haven't bought anything from NewEgg in years. The last time was shortly after they started the third-party marketplace listings. They still have the best interface for distilling the catalog down to the parts that match certain criteria, but their customer support fell off a cliff.

Since then I've only bought computer stuff from Amazon, B&H, eBay, and Micro Center.

Amazon needs to be better with a decent menu.

Okay but why were you buying a Windows 7 disc in the year of our lord 2022 anyway

Haven't bought anything from them in many years now.

Acer Predator Helios 300 – Model #PH315-53-764Q CPU-Z

• Keyboard — Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard – Model #RGP0085
  • Memory (RAM) — 64GB Kingston FURY Impact – Part #KF432S20IBK2/64
  • Mouse — Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse – Model #RGP0052
  • Operating System — Windows 11 Professional (64-bit)
  • Stand — TopMate C11 Gaming Cooler
  • Storage (HDD, SSD)
    • 1× 4TB Samsung 870 EVO – Model #MZ-77E4T0B/AM
    • 2× 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus – Model #MZ-V7S2T0/AM

Anda Seat Kaiser Series Premium Gaming Chair – Kaiser II – Model #AD12XL-02-AB-PV/C-A02

HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e

Samsung 7.1.2 Soundbar – Model #HW-Q900A/ZC

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite – Model #SM-T227U

Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro – Model #SM-R925F

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 – Model #SM-F721W

TP-Link Archer AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router

• 3× TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 8-Port PoE+ – Model #TL-SG1016PE
    Noctua 40x20mm Premium Fan – Model #NF-A4x20 FLX
      • TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender – Model #RE705X
    • IoT
      • TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender – Model #RE305

14 hours ago, whm1974 said:

And in addiction to reselling Defective Gibibyte PSU that were a fire hazard with GPUs

man I hate being addicted to selling shitty hardware!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

Okay but why were you buying a Windows 7 disc in the year of our lord 2022 anyway

This was back in early 2015 before Windows 10 was released.

5 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

man I hate being addicted to selling shitty hardware!

Simply don't buy shitty hardware? When building my Computer I bent over backwards to get decent hardware to begin with.

Well, this is disappointing. I too saw the GN video. I don't buy a lot of computer stuff. The last time from Newegg was maybe 5 years ago besides a reconditioned vacuum, which was perfect. I recall ~10 years a go I had an issue, and they resolved it quickly and also gave me a $25 voucher without me asking. Sounds like those times are over. 

I liked about Newegg that they have a nice selection menu and typically were cheaper and had a larger selection than microcenter, or Tiger, or amazon. but next time I shop, I sure check out some other options (i now also know partspicker)

It is kind of sad, but Amazon seems to be the best choice if you have any doubt since they have a totally hassle free (and free) return for the 30 or so days. Ebay also has a "if in doubt, side with the customer" policy. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Well, this is disappointing. I too saw the GN video. I don't buy a lot of computer stuff. The last time from Newegg was maybe 5 years ago besides a reconditioned vacuum, which was perfect. I recall ~10 years a go I had an issue, and they resolved it quickly and also gave me a $25 voucher without me asking. Sounds like those times are over. 

I liked about Newegg that they have a nice selection menu and typically were cheaper and had a larger selection than microcenter, or Tiger, or amazon. but next time I shop, I sure check out some other options (i now also know partspicker)

It is kind of sad, but Amazon seems to be the best choice if you have any doubt since they have a totally hassle free (and free) return for the 30 or so days. Ebay also has a "if in doubt, side with the customer" policy. 

I had to return a Logitech Gamepad due to being this by mistake I had to go somewhere to drop off and then I gotten refund. It was useless for a modern Game Controller. No under buttons, too small for adult hands. The Valve Steam Game Controller is way better, and I should purchased the Xbox Core instead.