Facebook's free internet service charges users

fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead

Summary

According to the wall street journal many people who use Facebook's free internet service reportedly got charged for their data useage.

Quotes

"Because of software problems at Facebook,which it has known about and failed to correct for months, people using the apps in free mode are getting unexpectedly charged by local cellular carriers for using data. In many cases they only discover this when their prepaid plans are drained of funds." WSJ

My thoughts

This is quite surprising since facebook is a large company (and i am not going to call it meta) and it also raises questions of conflict of interest. Free internet from facebook ended in India when people wanted to access the whole internet instead of the select apps chosen by facebook. I know that the bill is paid by people using facebook but why ban AT&T's practice of discounting prices if you use their apps on their network I don't get the difference. 

Sources

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-free-india-data-charges-11643035284

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

9 minutes ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

ban AT&T's practice of discounting prices if you use their apps on their network I don't get the difference. 

Are you referring to AT&T being dinged over not counting HBO Max data usage against their data cap? For one that was due to California's net neutrality laws. Because HBO is owned by AT&T, AT&T was giving that app is free ride while other apps like Netflix and such had to count against the data cap. Where as T Mobile before they did just unlimited for everyone did count many video streaming services against the data cap, they just reduced video quality. Even my ISP Comcast counts all data against the cap, they dont give a free ride to anything, included Peacock which is owned by NBC which Comcast owns. Essentially its considered Anti competitive and in some peoples eyes a clear violation of the Sherman Act. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Color me unsurprised.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead said:

and i am not going to call it meta

No. We should absolutely call them Meta. If you don't call out Meta and instead only shout at "Facebook", you are implying that the product is the problem rather than the company.

Call Meta out for their shit and let the terrible actions of this company taint their new name as well. Don't let them hide from their PR problems with a new name.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Sources

Add links to the news sites that you used to write this post 

Can you please update your post to include the link to the news article.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/facebook-free-india-data-charges-11643035284

The article.

Sounds to me like it is both a facebook issue and a carrier issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

but why ban AT&T's practice of discounting prices if you use their apps on their network I don't get the difference. 

Probably due to violations of anti-trust laws.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, tim0901 said:

No. We should absolutely call them Meta. If you don't call out Meta and instead only shout at "Facebook", you are implying that the product is the problem rather than the company.

nah, im sorry but this is 100% wrong. 

They *want* to be called meta, so you're saying doing exactly what they want that will show them?   No, you should  call them who they really are, FACEBOOK

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity