Pea sized thermal paste a thing of the past?

Evan North

So, a few years ago I was constantly on Youtube looking at how to build my first PC. I must have watched hundreds of Youtube videos, all varying channels and lengths with one thing in common....

... that thing being that if someone applied more than a pea sized bit of thermal paste, there was a riot in the comment section. It was EVERYWHERE that you shouldn't apply more than just a single pea sized circle in the middle of the CPU.

Lately, I've returned to surfing the internet to try and update my knowledge of current PC components and just general knowledge and its surprised me that now, when watching people put together a PC or just a certain product... the pea sized thermal paste hasn't come up once? Everyone is using more, most of them being a big X (cross) on the cpu.

My question is: Has there been new info on it and I'm just late to the party? Is a pea size all you need and these Youtubers are doing it wrong? If so, surely the comments would show this? (because you know what youtube commenters are like)

Should I put an X on mine?? 

Cheers! 🙂

As long as you don't put too little, it's largely not relevant.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Some CPU die's have gotten bigger, thus the IHS has also gotten bigger - requiring more thermal paste. I personally prefer to use a little spudger and spread it out, not too thin but not too thicc either.

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

As long as you don't put too little, it's largely not relevant.

Thanks for the video. Watched it. Looks like the results are pretty much the same! That does surprise me considering the amount of backlash everyone had before haha! 

6 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Some CPU die's have gotten bigger, thus the IHS has also gotten bigger - requiring more thermal paste. I personally prefer to use a little spudger and spread it out, not too thin but not too thicc either.

Yeah, just what ever makes sense then i guess really! 

X method best method.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, Evan North said:

Thanks for the video. Watched it. Looks like the results are pretty much the same! That does surprise me considering the amount of backlash everyone had before haha! 

@TempestCattopointed out why the pea size is warmer in that video, and why people have gone away from the pea sized suggestion.

Especially with the release of LGA1700.

Spoiler

Intel-Core-i9-12900K-3.jpg?resize=1024,5

A single dot isn't going to spread evenly on that. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Evan North said:

That video was an attempt to end this pointless debate but of course that will never happen.

Applying thermal paste (and cooling config in general) is really the only part of PC building that is open to interpretation so it always invites passionate discussion. Just don't overthink it and you'll be fine.

Very large dies like Threadripper need more than the pea method so that's where the X comes in. Normal desktop CPUs even LGA1700 are fine with the pea method.

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

As long as you don't

that thumbnail gets me every time…! 🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I put my thermal paste in a dip bowl. Then I simply dip the cpu into it several times before I install it.  The chip dip install is the only way to do it. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that thumbnail gets me every time…! 🤣

It's the only reason I have that video on quick draw!

not really, but it's an easy one to find 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Zusafek said:

I put my thermal paste in a dip bowl. Then I simply dip the cpu into it several times before I install it.  The chip dip install is the only way to do it. 

So you double dip the chip????

Just now, dilpickle said:

So you double dip the chip????

Double dip and submerge it on the third.  Do bother wiping the excess off either.  Let it coat the board so you have visual proof you put your thermal paste on.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

1 minute ago, Zusafek said:

Double dip and submerge it on the third.  Do bother wiping the excess off either.  Let it coat the board so you have visual proof you put your thermal paste on.  

?

0rnwvunxsra61.jpg?auto=webp&s=900810487ef50e4a1fb43afa7f75e6729789c8ba

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

?

0rnwvunxsra61.jpg?auto=webp&s=900810487ef50e4a1fb43afa7f75e6729789c8ba

That's close. But that is more of the soft serve ice cream on a plate technique. I can still see silver. It needs MORE!!!!

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's the only reason I have that video on quick draw!

not really, but it's an easy one to find 

ill be honest, since this is 3 yrs old already… and i just built my first pc then (always had like office prebuilds before) it took me a loooong time to figure out whats wrong  with the left picture… i thought "yep, that makes sense why wouldn't you do it like that!"  🙃

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

-> Moved to Cooling

I've mainly seen X shape used with GPUs where it really doesn't matter, not even if it comes out of sides. On CPU, you do have socket to worry about still. I've seen mainly rice-grain/line method used for TR and other larger dies.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I’ve just used the pea myself.

But with these rectangular CPUs, I wonder if 4 small dots equidistant from each corner, centred between the corner & the middle of the CPU, would guarantee full coverage? Probably overkill…