[UPDATED] (Some B660 Confirmed) Intel Alder Lake Non-K Overlocking Enabled on certain motherboards

TrigrH

UPDATE:

ASUS ROG Strix B660-G and B660-F are confirmed, they have a slightly different way of doing it though.

image.png.f82786b905670c51fe13d1a42c5218d5.png

Summary

Well known overlocker der8auer has discovered full range BCLK overlocking in ROG MAXIMUS Z690 motherboards:

image.thumb.png.e046352f1b60ee857e0b5c614186149d.png

image.png.707b9a6be7c7d16205460ff521d59f1c.png

This feature is only visible if a K CPU is NOT installed:

image.thumb.png.4768b7969ff3b1148444bd08c37188c5.png

In Alder lake adjusting the BCLK only changes three things:

CPU Freq - Multiplier adjustable

Cache Freq - Multiplier adjustable

Memory Freq - Strap adjustable

This means that unlike with skylake there are no known downsides to a BCLK OC since PCIe still runs at 100.

Quotes

"I also want to highlight that this feature likely only works when an external clock generator is present on the motherboard."

My thoughts

I give Asrock about 14 seconds till they enable this and about 20 seconds for stupid intel to block it in the next microcode update.

Source

hasn't this happened multiple times in past generations and it was quickly disabled afterwards? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

hasn't this happened multiple times in past generations and it was quickly disabled afterwards? 

The last time was Skylake in 2015. What people seem to forget is that intel cannot remove a feature from an already existing bios installed on your PC. The feature can only be removed in newer bios versions.

If they enable this on some of the cheaper boards, it might make sense to buy the i3 12100F, one of those boards, and a half decent cooler and overclock the crap out of it. 

Really thought this was going to be ASRock. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I can't watch the video, and I'm confused.

So... the BIOS setting is called "Unlock BCLK OC", but it unlocks the frequency multiplier?

What?

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

I can't watch the video, and I'm confused.

So... the BIOS setting is called "Unlock BCLK OC", but it unlocks the frequency multiplier?

What?

It unlocks the base clock, not the multiplier.

Multiplier is what you typically use to overclock, and you leave the base clock alone.

Since the multiplier is locked on non-K chips, you have to change the base clock instead.

I thought this was possible on all Intel motherboards. 

Base clock has always (since Sandy Bridge) been kind of meh since it messes with other things too (like USB ports), but if they have now decoupled the CPU base clock from things like the PCIe bus then that's great news.

This coupled with the really good performance some low-end Alder Lake chips have makes them look really appealing to budget gamers. Something like the i3-12100F will probably perform really well in games and it's less than 100 dollars. It will probably overclock pretty decently as well.

13 hours ago, TrigrH said:

This means that unlike with skylake there are no known downsides to a BCLK OC since PCIe still runs at 100.

Depends on the mobo. Many Z170 boards could separate PCIe clock from BCLK when doing non-K OC. The biggest problem with Skylake era non-K OC was that it crippled AVX performance.

Anyway, while this "news" might be interesting to competitive overclockers, I don't think it makes any sense for the masses. You don't buy a high end mobo to skimp on the CPU.

13 hours ago, TrigrH said:

The last time was Skylake in 2015. What people seem to forget is that intel cannot remove a feature from an already existing bios installed on your PC. The feature can only be removed in newer bios versions.

Microcode updates can also be delivered by OS (while OS is running, doesn't persist in hardware). Microsoft often pushes them out. So to avoid that you may also need to hack system files, or use an outdated version of OS.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So only maximus motherboards? If so, then it still doesn't make sense. Spending a lot of money on your mobo so you can overclock the CPU you cheaped out on?

(cannot watch the video atm)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 minutes ago, porina said:

Microcode updates can also be delivered by OS (while OS is running, doesn't persist in hardware). Microsoft often pushes them out. So to avoid that you may also need to hack system files, or use an outdated version of OS.

This is not a thing for consumer motherboards (as far as im aware), laptops and surface tablets sure.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

This is not a thing for consumer motherboards (as far as im aware), laptops and surface tablets sure.

Nothing to do with mobo. Any consumer system with a supported CPU can get it. In case it wasn't clear, it is a runtime thing. It is loaded with the OS. No persisting hardware code is changed. Reboot and it is gone, but the OS reloads it next restart, unless you block it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

Nothing to do with mobo. Any consumer system with a supported CPU can get it. In case it wasn't clear, it is a runtime thing. It is loaded with the OS. No persisting hardware code is changed. Reboot and it is gone, but the OS reloads it next restart, unless you block it.

Do you mean the optional windows updates? which can be easily uninstalled from safe mode.

Something like this?: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-new-windows-10-intel-cpu-microcode-updates/

Just now, TrigrH said:

Do you mean the optional windows updates? which can be easily uninstalled from safe mode.

Something like this?: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-new-windows-10-intel-cpu-microcode-updates/

In essence yes. In Spectre/Meltdown era I think they made it a manual optional download, but they had rolled it in with routine Windows Updates in the past. It is hard to keep track of and since I don't care about non-K OC since Skylake era, I don't know what the current situation is. Last I tried on a Z170 board with non-K bios installed, it wouldn't OC with recent versions of Windows. I just ran old Windows for benching, rather than try to hack newer Windows.

Only issue is that board is some top of the line super duper expensive one. Pairing it with budget CPU and hoping it'll clock well is a very bad investment. And since it's not reliable info on which boards have this feature guaranteed, it's far from ideal option. If 12400 could be paired with cheap mobo that has this feature, then it would be pretty awesome for gaming. Reminds me of days when I bought dirty cheap Core 2 Duo E5200 and overclocked it to 3,75 GHz on same board that as running E4300 few years earlier. I played Crysis on that thing and it was nice! That was also the only time I actually upgraded the CPU on same board.

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Only issue is that board is some top of the line super duper expensive one.
If 12400 could be paired with cheap mobo that has this feature, then it would be pretty awesome for gaming. 

alder-OC_02.jpg

3 hours ago, TrigrH said:

alder-OC_02.jpg

It's annoying that you have to dig them out this way. And what happens if ASUS has to one day remove this because Intel doesn't like it? You'll then have to be stuck with old BIOS that still has this which sucks ass.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's annoying that you have to dig them out this way. And what happens if ASUS has to one day remove this because Intel doesn't like it? You'll then have to be stuck with old BIOS that still has this which sucks ass.

I feel being stuck with an old bios is not that bad if you're saving a ton of money. I guess we will see how this shakes out.

4 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I feel being stuck with an old bios is not that bad if you're saving a ton of money. I guess we will see how this shakes out.

It is extremely bad on DDR5 boards right now. DDR5 stability is god-awful and we are constantly getting BIOS updates to fix broken training. We know the boards and IMC's can do it because it can be done manually, but XMP is very hit or miss, especially if you involve 4 DIMM's. Locking yourself to an older BIOS means you'll likely be stuck running non-XMP or hoping you can understand DDR5 enough to manually OC it for some performance gains.

As someone that greatly enjoyed overclocking non-K Skylake CPU's, I like the idea of this. I am also hesitant to recommend someone buy a DDR5 board to do this knowing how bad training is across all of the board partners. For DDR4 boards, it is pretty much a non-issue.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

7 hours ago, MageTank said:

It is extremely bad on DDR5 boards right now. DDR5 stability is god-awful and we are constantly getting BIOS updates to fix broken training. We know the boards and IMC's can do it because it can be done manually, but XMP is very hit or miss, especially if you involve 4 DIMM's. Locking yourself to an older BIOS means you'll likely be stuck running non-XMP or hoping you can understand DDR5 enough to manually OC it for some performance gains.

As someone that greatly enjoyed overclocking non-K Skylake CPU's, I like the idea of this. I am also hesitant to recommend someone buy a DDR5 board to do this knowing how bad training is across all of the board partners. For DDR4 boards, it is pretty much a non-issue.

If I can get a cheap B660 DDR4 board, i'm doing this. We all agree that the expensive boards (which use DDR5 anyway) make no sense running a 12400f.

Why is everyone except der8auer silent regarding non-K OC? Shouldn't it be the hottest topic?

These guys have the boards, and DDR5 on their hands, and non-K CPUs are dirt cheap, what gives😬

But major tech channels are testing boring 6500XT instead, c'mon now🤣

Btw someone on a certain Chinese forum mentioned B660-F Strix as one of the B660 boards supporting this. Does anyone here have it?

1 hour ago, 1van said:

Why is everyone except der8auer silent regarding non-K OC? Shouldn't it be the hottest topic?

It's the most niche of niche topics. OC is pretty much pointless outside of people who have too much time to tinker. Non-K OC would be a small subsection of that.

1 hour ago, 1van said:

But major tech channels are testing boring 6500XT instead, c'mon now🤣

Probably safe to say far more people will buy the 6500 XT than ever will non-K OC.

16 minutes ago, porina said:

It's the most niche of niche topics.

It probably is, if one is a housewife.

But OC (especially non-K OC) is still interesting for many tech enthusiasts, who are supposed to be main audience of YT tech channels, or were supposed to be, as it turns out. Feels like it's wrong place to discuss this.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:13 AM, MageTank said:

I thought it's only Asus boards having DDR5 problems and Gigabyte / MSI are fine?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)