[UPDATED] (Some B660 Confirmed) Intel Alder Lake Non-K Overlocking Enabled on certain motherboards

TrigrH
4 hours ago, 1van said:

Btw someone on a certain Chinese forum mentioned B660-F Strix as one of the B660 boards supporting this. Does anyone here have it?

There is CPU-Z screenshots of it working, but its a kinda expensive DDR5 board. We need to work out the cheaper DDR4 ones.

28 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I thought it's only Asus boards having DDR5 problems and Gigabyte / MSI are fine?

For the most part yes, Asus made too many DDR5 boards and they are not selling.

19 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I thought it's only Asus boards having DDR5 problems and Gigabyte / MSI are fine?

Nope, can 100% confirm all of my ASUS, ASRock and MSI samples are struggling with 4 DIMM configurations, and 2DIMM 6000Mhz only loads on my ASUS Z690 Strix sample without issues. It loads on the MSI Z690-A but errors out very quickly in Memtest86 and HCI Memtest. ASRock won't even humor the XMP, have to prime it manually at 5600Mhz then walk the frequency up slowly to get it to POST at 6000.

Trying to get my hands on some Hynix DIMM's as I hear they are doing better than Samsung right now on DDR5 but DDR5 is rough to find right now, even through our normal suppliers.

EDIT: Should note that I don't know about Gigabyte at all, we don't test their products beyond GPU's so I can't really say.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:32 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

If they enable this on some of the cheaper boards, it might make sense to buy the i3 12100F, one of those boards, and a half decent cooler and overclock the crap out of it. 

Yeah, when / if they enable this on DDR4 B660 motherboards at around $150, pairing this with a 12100F or a 12400F will be a preffered choice for any enthusiast on a budget that knows what BCLK actually is...

Reminds me of the Haswell Devils Canyon Pentium AE G3258, that little 2c/2t could be overclocked to 4.6Ghz on cheap Z97 motherboards, punching well above its weight in most games and being as good as the best i3s at the time (2014)...

I used to rock a BCLK overclock on my i3 540 on a bargain basement H55 MOBO, used to reach 3.82 GHz EZ instead of the base 3.06 GHz clocks, but cooling it with that stock cooler was a nightmare as it would quickly reach 90° so I daily drove it at 3.56 GHz. Good times...