Why is EVERYONE Buying This Gaming Mouse?

Plouffe

What's so good about the G502 Hero that it has almost thirty thousand ratings on Amazon with a 4.7 star rating? Let's take a look in the latest edition of Why Is Everyone Buying THIS?!

Buy Logitech G502 HERO
On Best Buy: https://geni.us/GtfZnXf
On Amazon: https://geni.us/MZQUL
On Newegg: https://geni.us/kwerrsP

Buy Logitech MX Master 3
On Best Buy: https://geni.us/fsBBNq3
On Amazon: https://geni.us/ZNS0tcU
On Newegg: https://geni.us/Pquil

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I have yet to try one.  I'm so used to laser sensors that I can't imagine going back.  Being on the road frequently and not always having a quality mouse surface to use--hasn't traditionally been tin the wheelhouse of optical sensors.

I'm definitely intrigued.  But I'm also inclined to keep buying new, old stock of MSI interceptors.

Me *stares at Corsair M65 PRO*

Its fine.

(atleast it doesnt have the "double click issue")

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

So, keyboard next? In regards to the mouse, I can explain the "preferring heavy" and even "preferring heavier" wish as someone who's been daily driving this mouse for years and has that feeling. There are several reasons. For one, if you pair cranking up the sensitivity with the weight, you get a better feeling. The physical resistance to movement doesn't feel sluggish in terms of response in "on screen performance". So you get to have the sensitivity of a high DPI mouse with the resistance that allows you to actually use it cranked up.

Also, it was considered at a time as a solution to increasingly higher DPI without turning down the DPI and some of us wanted to actually use our DPI to "get our money's worth". You know, a psychology thing. Which affects the overall satisfaction with the product, as illogical and silly as it may seem to anyone that this doesn't apply to. However, if you don't have even heavier weights then what's provided, you, in many cases at least, need to switch to a claw style grip (think shallow claw, almost like a half and half between fingertip and traditional claw) to get that last bit of fine tune control to keep the DPI that high. So if you're someone like me, and you prefer the palm grip, this is a compromise. Even heavier weights should offset this and allow a palm grip and keep the advantages that have been worth sacrificing for.

I actually gave up this original Logitech MX Master because of this. That mouse, using a palm grip, was the most awfully comfortable mouse I've ever laid my hands on. I literally couldn't ask for a more comfortable and form fitting mouse. It felt like it perfectly sculpted to my hand. I even use it when I'm on the go on my laptop. Still I have it up for the G502 on my daily rig. Here's why:

I've personally got 3+ monitors I'm working on at any given time (not including graphics tablets and the like) and the high dpi means little wrist movement to whip across the three screens. The small amounts of movement is, for me at least, great for preventing strain. Also, there's the cleanup.  I've got this mouse maxed and all the weights in. I'm pairing it with a Steelseries Qck XXL. The usability at higher dpi makes it possible for the mouse to spend almost all it's time on a very tiny spot on my mouse pad, despite the fact that it has to regularly traverse a length of screen real-estate that, if lined up end to end, would be longer then I am tall (over 6 feet tall).

So I can have the mouse moving along and buzzing in one little spot. When it gets so dirty that the sensor can't pick up input cleanly due to al the skin and gunk build up (yes, disgusting, but it's the truth.) I can simply move spots. I can do this four times on the same side and still maintain good posture. I could get another two or more out of it but would have to either constrain movement or else have my hand drape off the side of the desk (bad idea, obviously). Then I turn the mouse pad 180 and do this again on the other side. Obviously it's "clean in the bath tub o'clock" after that, but hey, that's always future me's problem ;). Hope this helps and clarifies.

If I remember correctly, I bought my first G502 in 2016 and only had to replace it in September 2021. I looked for other mice, but ended up buying the G502 again. I need all the extra buttons and I currently use 9 custom macros on my g502. 

5 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Its fine.

It easily could. Same Omron switches. It's all a crapshoot. You hear more about it with Logitech mice because of their sheer popularity but I had a Corsair mouse in 2020 that started to double click in 3 months.

As for the G502... It's popular because it's Logitech, it has lots of buttons, it's got a somewhat exotic sexy gamer-y shape that still looks ergonomic, and it's not too expensive. I've tried one and found the extra buttons neither here nor there in terms of positioning, and the overall shape too high and narrow for comfort for either palm or claw grip, and it's way too much of a heavy brick for fingertip. 

Does it "deserve" to be as popular as it is? Meh. Peripheral taste is subjective. I definitely think a lot of inexperienced people just buy it because it's popular and they assume it must be good without actually doing much comparison or consideration, though.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

meanwhile at the Microsoft Store:

image.thumb.png.97d58dede425821a5453ef0b4e2b38d3.png

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Its fine.

Hey, it if makes you feel better, my first mouse was a generic Redragon thing. It was about twice as expensive as their cheapest offering, and was really basic. I guess Capitalistic competition got even these guys to pop up a couple notches in the mouse making game. Funny thing is they currently hold the crown for best selling keyboard.

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

well...when you can't overcharge on an OS anymore. To note, I've seen drop shippers have stronger game then this. That's just sad.

3 minutes ago, wall03 said:

That's the wireless version. Still overpriced (It's $120 most places) but not as bad as it first appears. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

That's the wireless version. Still overpriced (It's $120 most places) but not as bad as it first appears. 

Oh? I missed that. Thank you for the correction. Now I have egg on my face ;).Still, was a funny joke when I thought it was wired. Forgive me if I chuckle at the idea. ;).

My mouse clicks didn't get flimsy at all, even after years of use. But my mouse wheel started to break. It would often start to scroll up or down when I moved my mouse too fast. That and the logitech software keeps deleting all my macros.

Not a fan of the shape or the number of buttons tbh. Played around with a few mice recently and the Viper Ultimate has been the best by far 

oh yeah I need to bring my wireless 502 to service

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Regular user of this mouse for a long time, had a G500 before the G502 Classic and then the G502 Hero WL. Never had any problems, except the cable snap on G500 and early G502s but Logitech support just straight send a new one without too much discussions. I like hefty mouse and since this mouse is a big boy it suits me well, aswell on the ergonomics I like it. I don't use that often the extra buttons, but they are welcomed.

It's my default choice for a mouse because it's an all rounder and not that expensive, I recommend to people either the G502 or G402 when they search for something. 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

It easily could. Same Omron switches. It's all a crapshoot. You hear more about it with Logitech mice because of their sheer popularity but I had a Corsair mouse in 2020 that started to double click in 3 months.

I have mine for ~2 years, iirc I got off a sale on walmart.

but if it does start to fail I am gonna resolder new switches.

thinking on

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/D2F-01F/83266#mktPlaceViewSection

28 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I definitely think a lot of inexperienced people just buy it because it's popular and they assume it must be good without actually doing much comparison or consideration

like people buying expensive headphones.( gaming ones.)

I am over here with a pair of MDR 7506

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

In regards to the video's sponsor PebbleHost, please don't endorse or work with them in the future! They oversell & are known to be a mainstream but bad option, and a lot of beginner server owners fall for it due to their, admittedly, niche advertisements. You can ask or make a post on r/admincraft if you want more confirmation on this issue, a lot of other server owners agree on this.

Haven't been on these forums for a while, wow I feel old.

I've had various generic mice in the past until I bought G1 and after it G3, the laser mouse. Side button became a necessity because I play RPG games a lot ala Deus Ex and for that, I always use side button for USE function. I bought G502 Proteus Core years ago and after it started to having some issues with it and worn pads where I broke it as I tried opening it to clean it and broke off side switch, I got the G502 Proteus Spectrum. Same thing, now with RGB logo.

Reason why I just don't want to change to some other mouse anymore is the learning curve. Bought another G502 and it was like nothing changed. If I bought different shape or weight, I'd need few weeks to readjust to that and that's annoying. G502 were easy to buy back then as everyone had them and that just expanded. Even if it was expensive I like it and now I'm just sticking with it.

Software is pretty bad and it got worse over time. The G Hub is just stupid compared to SetPoint and Logitech Gaming Software (LGS). It's just absolutely stupid to navigate with settings scattered in most illogical places and annoying interface animations smeared on top and editing on-board memory with it is just beyond stupid as you have to switch between local and on-board and they are exclusive to one another where in LGS it was much more seamless and you didn't have to jump around and copy profiles between both modes around like an idiot and have stupid limitations with on-board that are suddenly a thing now. But since there is on-board, I go through trouble of setting it in stupid G Hub and then never ever use the dumb G Hub again. I just plug it in and it works the way I set it.

DPI is just stupid bragging right at this point as no one but those 3 people use the basically unusable high DPI's. I've forced myself trying to adjust to 5000 DPI and it's just too much. Move mouse just a bit and you're overshooting everything you want to click and same then goes for aiming in games. And additionally, due to weird way of how I'm holding the mouse at an angle, I basically only use a single side button and I'm fine with it. Thumb just can't reach anything else on the side and index finger can't comfortably reach top side buttons either next to LMB.

Might one day be brave and try UVI Lust mouse as it's local (Slovenian) gaming company and I have their UVI Pride mechanical keyboard and I really like it a lot, but I worry those holes on UVI Lust are going to be nightmare to clean...

Currently I care the most about how it feels in hand and how it glides, not dealing with learning curve of using some other and on-board memory so it just works the way I want it between system reformats without fiddling with dumb G Hub software. And the metal chungus scrolling wheel. So many mice have light plastic one and it just feels terrible. Not here.

Well I have a G502 Lightspeed along with a Powerplay mat and never want to use anything else again since it's perfect for me and my needs and yet it recently developed the dreaded double-click. And here I sit waiting for Logitech to finally announce the rumored G502X so I can buy a new one 😕

@6:05:

From a technical stand point, what is better accuracy?

* 400 DPI, then multiplier of 4

* 800 DPI, then multiple of 2

* 1600DPI, then multiple of 0.5

* 3200DPI, then multiple of 0.25

I expect somewhere around 1200 DPI with an arbitrary sensitivity multiplier is best, but unsure because of how that higher DPI is actually mapped.

My expectation is that the actual sensor is 800DPI, then math calculations like bicubic interpolation is used to estimate the in between points.

Note: by multiplier; I mean the software such as Windows sensitivity setting, or the multiplier option in games like CS:GO.

Maybe this would be something for The Lab (which I’m super excited for)?

15 hours ago, IPD said:

I have yet to try one.  I'm so used to laser sensors that I can't imagine going back.  Being on the road frequently and not always having a quality mouse surface to use--hasn't traditionally been tin the wheelhouse of optical sensors.

I'm definitely intrigued.  But I'm also inclined to keep buying new, old stock of MSI interceptors.

Tbh all optical mice i had worked flawlessly. No hiccups or inaccuracities. I used both hard and cloth surfaces over the years, sometimes even directly on a wooden desk. The only thing i didn't try is a clear glass desk without a pad.

I really like my G Pro wireless for the weight, but man do i miss the shape of the G502. It looks very gamery but the shape is the best i held so far. I often thought about going back to a G502 wireless, but every time i'm at my friend's who has one i remember how heavy it was.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

18 hours ago, Sirgeorge said:

I actually gave up this original Logitech MX Master because of this. That mouse, using a palm grip, was the most awfully comfortable mouse I've ever laid my hands on. I literally couldn't ask for a more comfortable and form fitting mouse. It felt like it perfectly sculpted to my hand. I even use it when I'm on the go on my laptop. Still I have it up for the G502 on my daily rig. Here's why:

Heh, I mentioned somewhat the opposite on Floatplane for similar reasons. I swear by my MX Master 3 mouse as it is extremely comfortable and suited for my hands as I don't care for claw gripping any mice. So give me the MX with the sensor of the G502 together with lightspeed wireless and I would jump on it right away. Though to be frank I still game with my MX3 and most of the time it is absolutely fine. Granted, I don't nearly play as much competitive games as I used when I was a bunch younger and these days there is more holding me back than the sensitivity of my mouse 😄

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

Backed by Logitech legendary support?

Stop joking as some might not get the joke. Logitech support is horrible unless the issue is covered under warranty.

It's interesting you say that, as Logitech actually does the opposite reputation of never really being difficult about replacing defective things and basically sending out brand-new products no questions asked with minor defects. If that's still the case or just a reputation that was historically true but no longer I cannot say, as I personally haven't dealt with them in a while. I know several friends swear by them exactly because of their support as they have had good experiences, but again I am also not sure how recent those experiences are. 

Might also be the difference between Logitech US and Logitech EU or something? 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

r/g502masterrace

I've had a G502 Proteus Spectrum ever since my RAT8 broke on me (few days after Mad Catz went under, so no hope of RMA then). Was a very good mouse for me until I decided to replace it with a G502 Lightspeed.

Old wired G502 still soldiers on for my oldest son. Still a great mouse.

6 hours ago, James Evens said:

Backed by Logitech legendary support?

Stop joking as some might not get the joke. Logitech support is horrible unless the issue is covered under warranty.

Want a genuine replacement usb lightspeed receiver for a wireless product? out of luck

Bought a broken keyboard with receiver to get one and now don't know to pair it? out of luck, Logitech tells you it is incompatible, promises to might offer something to you and never hear again from them (figured it out that the issue was Solaar running in a VM and not nativity so in the end I manged to pair it)

A keycap breaks on your expensive Logitech GL-switch keyboard?  out of luck. They don't sell replacement parts at all and made in compatible with Kailh chocc by using a very slightly different pin spacing on the keycap and nobody in China or anywhere sells none us keycaps.

Suffer from the common issue of Romer-G keycaps breaking? same issue again. Glue becomes your best friend.

Want to test it yourself? Just write them a message similar I lost the B keycap on my G915. How much is a replacement? Next message is requesting warranty information. Now tell them it is out of warranty and you want to pay for this part. Final message will be a sorry we don't have this part as replacement.

I had key scissor mechanism break on me on Logitech UltraX out of waranty and Logitech sent me new mechanism free of charge. Twice, for different keys iirc. I'd say that's pretty good as they could easily say no warranty, no replacement parts and they could charge me for it. But they haven't. Haven't had any keyboards from them after they discontinued UltraX tho (moved to Cherry Stream XT which are also imposisble to find now, why people hate low profile keyboards so much?). I do have their mice for the last 15+ years...

I daily drive a G502 Hero and I LOVE IT. 

I added all the weights and run it at 16k dps fight me

Having other people trying it is hilarious, they can't control it, they constantly lose track of where the pointer is because it's too damn fast.
And the wheel, oh god the wheel. I bought on a sale years ago simply because I was looking for a new mouse that was "good enough". The wheel will ensure that I continue buying Logitech mice in the future or that, when the time comes, I will open and change the switched in my Hero.
If I didn't already have a good mouse at work, I'd even buy a second one!