I'm taking this into my own hands...

James

Edit : also https://www.recovermy.video/

Recover the titles of deleted or private YouTube videos
From time to time, YouTube videos get deleted or set to private.
If such videos are on your playlists, you experience these ugly [Deleted video] or [Private video] playlist items.

Extension / tampermonkey script

https://returnyoutubedislike.com/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm so happy that this project is a thing, I agree with Linus that it is extremely important to be able to view the overall sentiment behind a video or post, mass-attacks be damned.

I have been using this extension since before the dislike count even got removed from my browser, it is very nice.

I've noticed that I'm hitting the dislike button a lot more often since the button got deleted, instead of just ignoring it or liking content of my frequently watched channels out of habit.

Because the video was not good or because I disliked some part of it. Even for some of my frequently watched channels. Not sure why though. Maybe because I'm more aware of the flaws now? Because I am not in the visible minority anymore when disliking a video, or thinking that my opinion might actually not be wrong compared to the majority of upvotes?

Linus mentioned all the possible reasons why yt removed it, so there's nothing to add.

I really wish they'll bring it back though, or that this project is a huge success. Watching tutorials or guides on youtube has been awful since its removal. 

How about big Youtubers demand ability to ENABLE dislike count per account from Youtube? So users/accounts can ENABLE the DISLIKE counter on their own account if they want to? Also what's the whole point when user still sees the numbers and everyone knows that? What Youtube did is that they just feel bad on their own. Yay. Mental health solved!

I may need to watch this video again (dealing with covid so I may have missed some details). But one of the ways I am thinking LTT could share data is to setup an API endpoints from your internal YouTube stats that updates twice a week or however often you wish to update on your site or this forum. RYD could then ingest the information at his pleasure. This is until you gain a better understanding on what exactly the developer is doing with this data. As someone in the security field, Linus' privacy concerns are stated accurately. I wouldn't hand over someone the keys to your data even if you are filtering them properly on your end before doing so. Going this route allows you to track and see how that that the information is being used and if it is used in a way that is nefarious in the future, you could cut off access as easily by deleting the API endpoints. It would also allow you to track the egress points that API is being used in. Limiting your company's exposure by doing this is better than giving limited oauth access. Just thoughts of course.

Just now, d0hzboy said:

I may need to watch this video again (dealing with covid so I may have missed some details). But one of the ways I am thinking LTT could share data is to setup an API endpoints from your internal YouTube stats that updates twice a week or however often you wish to update on your site or this forum. RYD could then ingest the information at his pleasure. This is until you gain a better understanding on what exactly the developer is doing with this data. As someone in the security field, Linus' privacy concerns are stated accurately. I wouldn't hand over someone the keys to your data even if you are filtering them properly on your end before doing so. Going this route allows you to track and see how that that the information is being used and if it is used in a way that is nefarious in the future, you could cut off access as easily by deleting the API endpoints. It would also allow you to track the egress points that API is being used in. Limiting your company's exposure by doing this is better than giving limited oauth access. Just thoughts of course.

I would write that, what RYD could also do is to let to the users to add multiple endpoints, so it would use it instead of their own database for the selected videos but I don't think that's a compromise that linus would want to do

Well it's kind of a problem of trust.

youtubers can trust him and give him access to the data on YT, or he can trust the youtubers and they upload their data to his database.

But if the yotuber has to do anything anyway, should it not be possible to update the video title with the like/dislike ratio once a day (with increasing time spans) using the data and the API?

"I will join them at some point" 
No, I hope Youtube goes down with you if that happens.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, kumicota said:

I would write that, what RYD could also do is to let to the users to add multiple endpoints, so it would use it instead of their own database for the selected videos but I don't think that's a compromise that linus would want to do

This is why I would setup internal API endpoints on a segregated network structure for RYD to access. Could be airgapped rather easliy. So RYD would have to ingest it if he wants to and sees use for the data from LTT. Which he would want if he is trying to grow and make more accurate data points from YouTube channels. Yeah he could setup endpoints for media groups to utilize, but that puts the onus on the media group. It's his product. Let him figure it out, is how I would approach it. Ultimately, this is something Linus and the group would need to decide internally on how they want to handle this, if they decide to continue this endeavor of course.

40 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

How about big Youtubers demand ability to ENABLE dislike count per account from Youtube?

Linus and other big creators told YT they were against the change and got ignored.

This extension thing is ultimately pointless since only a small fraction of YT users will ever hear about it, let alone use it, and since they won't be even close to a representative samples of users the like/dislike data won't be meaningful.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

54 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Linus and other big creators told YT they were against the change and got ignored.

This extension thing is ultimately pointless since only a small fraction of YT users will ever hear about it, let alone use it, and since they won't be even close to a representative samples of users the like/dislike data won't be meaningful.

Because they were against GLOBAL change. Why would they deny the ability for individual channels to enable it if they want it to be public?

18 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Because they were against GLOBAL change. Why would they deny the ability for individual channels to enable it if they want it to be public?

Because then the channels that didn't enable dislikes (all of the major corporate ones) would get flak for it.

This is entirely about YouTube placating Brands who don't want to see news articles about the promo videos for their stupid new products/services/media setting records for dislikes. That's it. All of the stuff about protecting creator mental health is BS.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

First I want to point out there is still a publicly visible ratio to see on youtube.  Views VS likes.  A video that has been viewed 100k times but only liked 10k times or less must not be very good.  Right?  

It is supremely ironic that on a video which complains of a dislike button being removed my original comment on YouTube was removed. (likely automatically for saying more or less what I will say now)  So here  it is again IN short LTT I love you guys I respect you guys but this just isn't a change made for Candian White people.  Youtube is a platform that while global lives and breaths in the Anglophone world.  The portion of that world which has great internet access is still mostly in North America, Australlia and a few other places.  Thus it is mostly White, mostly cis, and mostly straight.  

The percentage of people who will hate on any video made by anyone who is not in that group would shock you.   Google could maybe come up with a way to algorithmic ally remove dislikes.  They have removed clearly invalid dislikes before and it was always noted.  If anything it only made things worse.   This happens to any minority person who speaks on any controversial issue at all.   Sometimes even if they do not. 

Some specific examples.  Nate the Lawyer is a great creator who gives his straight logical legal opinions as a former cop and attorney in the US.  

Notice some of the comments that remain to this point. consider how negative many of them are.   Also notice the over 100k views / 6.4 k likes.   There are tons of examples of minorities making perfectly fine videos that get dislike bombed, or worse recieve threats, and harassment in other forums or even in real life. 

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

How about big Youtubers demand ability to ENABLE dislike count per account from Youtube? So users/accounts can ENABLE the DISLIKE counter on their own account if they want to? Also what's the whole point when user still sees the numbers and everyone knows that? What Youtube did is that they just feel bad on their own. Yay. Mental health solved!

That could be a little better than the current system and there would be plenty of content creators willing to enable the counter. Unfortunately I think it would still be open to being exploited. A bad creator can just not enable the dislike counter, bring up all the related issues again. The other way round (dislike counter enabled by default, with a disable button) could be preferable, in particular because people could be called out if their counter is not visible. And maybe also channels that don't tinker with the settings often (so very infrequent posting, small accounts) will just have the counter there by default: more transparency is better. Still though, it's less than transparency than we used to have. 

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

IMHO they need to replace the like VS dislike button with a very short survey.    Just like one question.   Each button should bring up a menu of reasons that video is a like or a dislike.    This can have a HUGE effect.  Make people have to justify why they like or dislike a thing and usually they'll back off if their reason is just BS.

In my own industry we have reviews.  I am an educator.  Read my Ratemyprofessor and see the reasons given there my ratings are low.  We also have the ratings done by the colleges themselves, with the reasons allowed there my ratings are high.    Especially when accounting for the correlation between expected grade and over all ratings. (Students who are failing or fear they will fail rate lower VS those doing better in class).  There is also a negative effect against those teaching a science topic.  Even more so if the science teacher is Black or a woman.  To top it off I'm trans and open about it. 

Then there is reading comments.  For me reading students comments has been the most helpful thing.  While in some sections if only two people fill out the survey and one has lowest scores across the board the other highest across the board I can read them and know if they are worthy of consideration.   This is not fast, or easy to gauge but it is way harder to game that. 

19 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

First I want to point out there is still a publicly visible ratio to see on youtube.  Views VS likes.  A video that has been viewed 100k times but only liked 10k times or less must not be very good.  Right?  

Not nessecarily. Different communites will engage with videos differently, and unless you really want to spend all that time relearning what ratio constitues a good/bad video for every context then it's not very useful.

Youtube is a platform that while global lives and breaths in the Anglophone world.  The portion of that world which has great internet access is still mostly in North America, Australlia and a few other places.  Thus it is mostly White, mostly cis, and mostly straight.

lol @ asia

Notice some of the comments that remain to this point. consider how negative many of them are.   Also notice the over 100k views / 6.4 k likes.   There are tons of examples of minorities making perfectly fine videos that get dislike bombed, or worse recieve threats, and harassment in other forums or even in real life. 

removing the count wouldn't and hasn't changed any of that. Dislikers are going to dislike, whether the count is there or not; and as Ein0r said, it could increase dislikes as people might think that there is no effect, probably worsening things for the very people this change was "made" to "protect" (scare quotes, not actually quoting).

i'll put my riitag here when I can actually be bothered to set it up

21 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The percentage of people who will hate on any video made by anyone who is not in that group would shock you.   Google could maybe come up with a way to algorithmic ally remove dislikes.  They have removed clearly invalid dislikes before and it was always noted.  If anything it only made things worse.   This happens to any minority person who speaks on any controversial issue at all.   Sometimes even if they do not.

race/religion and other cultures. yes that is a problem online on any platform.

"This happens to any minority person who speaks on any controversial issue at all", with what the US have done, there can either be good reasons for it or not.

As both google/youtube and bigger corporations that want to use these groups and make american problems into global problems and way more. but that can be a rabbit hole to go into.

but I can totally see people disliking videos by being in the minority, like for instance not talking english on a very english platform used by a good portion of people? like an tutorial you want to look up, but it's not in english and getting down voted (maybe mostly so if it had an english title?). but then again some stuff would maybe be region locked or rather filtered by region.

3 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

"This happens to any minority person who speaks on any controversial issue at all", with what the US have done, there can either be good reasons for it or not.

There are good reasons for attacking a minority and dismissing their opinion just because they're a minority? 

21 minutes ago, Middcore said:

There are good reasons for attacking a minority and dismissing their opinion just because they're a minority? 

while I can't say if it's "just because they are an minority", while some attacks that do can be pretty bad?

*rants*

Edited by Quackers101

"I'm taking this into my own hands..." it would be nice if you actually even took down the 37 spam comments from two spam accounts from this video and the other 358 comments from your 5 recent videos that it only took me seconds to find them all and report them by using a program from a youtuber who made it by the name of ThioJoe while this clearly being your channel but I guess you don't care about spammers do you?

Finished watching the video and I'm really disappointing with Linus. He just accepts that the dislike counter is gone. Why? He has the power the unionize and force youtube to bring back the dislike counter. He has the power to organize a protest against it. Yet he just stands back and does nothing. Complete waste of potential. Sad.

6 minutes ago, Breadboi767 said:

"I'm taking this into my own hands..." it would be nice if you actually even took down the 37 spam comments from two spam accounts from this video and the other 358 comments from your 5 recent videos that it only took me seconds to find them all and report them by using a program from a youtuber who made it by the name of ThioJoe while this clearly being your channel but I guess you don't care about spammers do you?

Why should he care though?

Why do you?