Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

And now to sit back and let you guys tell me how bad my memory of this stuff really is :)

I do remember a bit from high school.

Yeah, that's one of the reason why the Japanese folded their steel so many times when they are making the samurai swords. Folding and hammering eventually squeezes out most of the impurities that existed in their metal ores. Some people think the folding is some mystical ancient technique to make the swords stronger.

The swords themselves actually have two type of steel with different carbon content, for strength and for durability.

Welp time to end my tangent. 

Basically that.

The back of a katana has to be strong, but this makes it brittle. The edge of the blade has to be able to be formed into an edge, so it must be soft, but not so much so that it chips easily.

One process for that is the time you have the steel quench (cool off in a liquid like oil). If you set clay on burning hot steel then submerge it, it cools more slowly. 

So you take a rod of steel and put clay on one side. Then quench it. As it quenches, the side without clay gets cooler faster than the side with clay.

So the side with clay is soft, but malleable steel, while the side without clay is hard, but brittle. The soft side is the blade and the hard side is the back as reinforcement. 

Here is a cool thingie:

o9YvxMa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gAeaUaJ.webm

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Folding and hammering eventually squeezes out most of the impurities that existed in their metal ores.

Does it really, though? How would it push out impurities? If anything, I think they actually added carbon to the iron during the forging process, and hammering-and-folding would only even out the distribution of the carbon, so that the edge would be harder. Basically they were making pig iron, if I'm not mistaken.

Does it really, though? How would it push out impurities? If anything, I think they actually added carbon to the iron during the forging process, and hammering-and-folding would only even out the distribution of the carbon, so that the edge would be harder. Basically they were making pig iron, if I'm not mistaken.

Well the bulk of the impurities should have been removed before hand during the smelting/melting process if they did it correctly. There are some impurities still within the metal and some of it can be removed when hammering along with the sparks we see. 

But yeah, I think the main goal of folding and hammering is to create a more uniform piece of metal. 

Well the bulk of the impurities should have been removed before hand during the smelting/melting process if they did it correctly. There are some impurities still within the metal and some of it can be removed when hammering along with the sparks we see. 

But yeah, I think the main goal of folding and hammering is to create a more uniform piece of metal.

Ah ok, I didn't quite catch that you meant the overall forging process, and not just the hammering and folding.

Again IIRC, I think the Japanese smiths heated iron sand with coal; the former would already have relatively low of the "bad" impurities, while the coal-heating would add the carbon to the process.

Ah ok, I didn't quite catch that you meant the overall forging process, and not just the hammering and folding.

Again IIRC, I think the Japanese smiths heated iron sand with coal; the former would already have relatively low or the "bad" impurities, while the coal-heating would add the carbon to the process.

That's my fault, again I'm usually all over the place late at night. 

It's a really interesting process and involves a level of discipline that I'll probably never achieve. 

It's a really interesting process and involves a level of discipline that I'll probably never achieve.

Indeed. From time to time I imagine what it would be like to play an MMO where you could actually learn how to forge objects (like in Ultima Online) step-by-step, gaining experience and making discoveries on how to improve the process along the way (and extending that to other skills and processes beyond just fighting and casting spells and other traditional stuff). I don't know of many games that tried to seriously make that sort of world except UO.

I am i the only one here who thinks mighty number 9's latest delay is getting to the point of unacceptable. I want to play the game and if i got to invest a small amount in and play beta versions i might be able to live with it more. But i can't even do that...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I thought the game was already out.  

Alpha-Beta-wtv

I FOUND IT. 5 YEARS OLD AND I FOUND IT.

11 minutes is a lot. Skip to 8 minutes in to see what he gets to. 

The music is enjoyable to me. 

Dat detail tho. I enjoy his art. Too bad his comic is in Spanish with no English translation. :x

https://issuu.com/xabiroi

Happy Queen; Sad Queen:

http://i.imgur.com/Ho3vDBm.webm

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You sure?

that type of hardening technique works by creating a nonuniform piece of metal having varying hardness/toughness

softer interior will usually allow for a more brittle exterior (sharper)

should have very little if anything at all to do with removing impurities

also, have you used mathcad before?

shits driving me neurotic

Error: 410

You guys really do need to try out Blade and Soul. It plays extremely well, very fluid, and the animations are fantastic. Not only that, but the story line so far seems interesting, and that's extremely hard for an MMO to do. Not only that, but there's actually cutscenes, quite a few them in fact (so far)! Plus in every conversation the NPCs actually talk, something that not every MMO has. It's a nice touch, and you can tell that a lot of thought and time went into this MMO.

So ya, jump on server Soha and let's get a clan going!

(Also do keep in mind I've only played an hour so spanned over 2 days. I don't have much time to play games anymore.)

COMIC SANS

That reminds me... I... No, we demand you to take the Fuuko avatar back!

-snip-

@TopWargamer is not the TopWargamer we know without Fuuko.

I got you fam. (But a slightly different picture than the one you posted.)

COMIC SANS

it doesn't really remove the impurities it does however make them smaller and more evenly distributed making the steel stronger overall.

it doesn't really remove the impurities it does however make them smaller and more evenly distributed making the steel stronger overall.

http://i.imgur.com/fWQf8d4.webm

† Christian Member †

You sure?

that type of hardening technique works by creating a nonuniform piece of metal having varying hardness/toughness

softer interior will usually allow for a more brittle exterior (sharper)

should have very little if anything at all to do with removing impurities

also, have you used mathcad before?

shits driving me neurotic

Are we talking about folding or just hammering to shape a piece a metal? 

You are correct if it's just hamming the final product since the outer layer will have stress built up from the hammering, thus would be hardened. I was talking about the folding process where the Japanese literally folded the metal a shit load of time in order to make a piece of metal that is actually usable. 

And nah, that shit looks annoying.

We have MatLab which is probably equally annoying. 

Yeah that's probably more correct. 

Are we talking about folding or just hammering to shape a piece a metal? 

You are correct if it's just hamming the final product since the outer layer will have stress built up from the hammering, thus would be hardened. I was talking about the folding process where the Japanese literally folded the metal a shit load of time in order to make a piece of metal that is actually usable. 

And nah, that shit looks annoying.

We have MatLab which is probably equally annoying. 

the latter, yeah

literal folding I figure would be.. stress hardening or something, maybe.

beating a metal to raise purity sounds strange

matchad is where's waldo on satan difficulty

apparently there's an error in the left (it's not the 50)

tprBg78.png

bout to go meet jesus

Error: 410

What do you guys think about this list?

r/anime?

anyways, it looks good to me. i have top props for the author to include katanagatari. that show was dope 

r/anime?

anyways, it looks good to me. i have top props for the author to include katanagatari. that show was dope 

Indeed, exceeded my expectations when I watched it.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

What do you guys think about this list?

Hit and miss, like with any such list. There are much better anime for adults; many are really for adolescents (and quite a few aren't for critical thinkers, though I'm not going to claim that adults are critical thinkers by default or something stupid like that).

the latter, yeah

literal folding I figure would be.. stress hardening or something, maybe.

beating a metal to raise purity sounds strange

matchad is where's waldo on satan difficulty

apparently there's an error in the left

bout to go meet jesus

They usually reheat the metal in between the folding process, basically tempering it so most the stress build up basically goes away. 

I thought it was beating the metal to distribute the impurities more evenly and remove some maybe. 

lol wtf is that.

Looks like you're writing an essay with equations. 

Shit would have got weird if they had continued with Usagi Drop.

Even though they did kinda "fix" it at the end, still ehhhhhhh........

WTF, mecha without gundam or macross!?

And no martial arts or race anime? Shit list.

damn, the guy should have had initial d or wangan midnight on there. now i change my mind 

Shit would have got weird if they had continued with Usagi Drop.

Even though they did kinda "fix" it at the end, still ehhhhhhh........

The manga was fine, people get too butthurt about it not being about the same thing forever, like Yotsuba or something. It was really just a tad uncomfortable for some people's tastes, and sloppier than the best takes on the subject.