Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

The manga was fine, people get too butthurt about it not being about the same thing forever, like Yotsuba or something. It was really just a tad uncomfortable for some people's tastes, and sloppier than the best takes on the subject.

I was fine with the series ending, not everything should be like Sazae-san. However it was a bit uncomfortable for me personally.

I wouldn't mind recommending it if someone is a bit more "harden" to that type of dynamic. 

They usually reheat the metal in between the folding process, basically tempering it so most the stress build up basically goes away. 

I thought it was beating the metal to distribute the impurities more evenly and remove some maybe. 

lol wtf is that.

Looks like you're writing an essay with equations. 

chalk it up to oriental voodoo

paragraph? you mean suicide note

Error: 410

The manga was fine, people get too butthurt about it not being about the same thing forever, like Yotsuba or something. It was really just a tad uncomfortable for some people's tastes, and sloppier than the best takes on the subject.

I was fine with the series ending, not everything should be like Sazae-san. However it was a bit uncomfortable for me personally.

I wouldn't mind recommending it if someone is a bit more "harden" to that type of dynamic. 

I enjoyed the anime. 

Just spoiled the manga for myself (thanks Google Images).

I am satisfied with that ending.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just completed the first season of "The World God Only Knows".

The World God Only Knows S1. decent.

Take a pretty typical-sounding harem premise and handle it well enough to not be obnoxious... and that's basically this anime. They do a good job of keeping the cast likeable enough, and balancing a more serious side with little bits of levity and comedy. It doesn't play off as pathetically as most harem anime, especially since it doesn't pander too much and keeps from simply being an overt wish-fulfillment fantasy. It's uneven though, and pads out its two larger arcs just to the point of boredom. Thankfully there are enough little highs sprinkled throughout to make it enjoyable, and the stories tend to be just endearing enough to do the job. I'll probably even remember some of the cuter scenes. All in all, it should be a fine first season if subsequent ones address the actual character development and switch things up appropriately (which they apparently do).

Spoilering the episode reviews;

The World God Only Knows S1 (1). decent.

Surprisingly, while this was exactly what you'd expect from the premise, it also did everything pretty much as well as could be expected. Not only do they waste no real time, but they also stay on point and introduce everything without being overbearing, annoying, or insulting about it. Heck, they even don't make it purely a comedy - it's just about a loser who has only one useless skill, and has to try using that skill to do some good. Not only does he quickly accept his situation, but he comes across less like a generic void of a harem lead, and more like a put-upon guy who will still own up to his situation in his own way. I also appreciate the "I can see the end" meta-joke, assuming they aren't just using it as an excuse. Ultimately, I can appreciate a show that knows it's on-the-nose and still manages to paint itself as more sincere than pathetic, and this seems to be aiming for at least that much.

The World God Only Knows S1 (2-3). decent.

Hey, this short arc wasn't so bad after all. I had feared that they would fall into the trap of just making me watch a guy play a dating sim while the show pretended it was more like "real life", but this rode the line quite well. The girl was likable, and the MC actually helped her in a way that felt like he genuinely was struggling a bit with his convictions. I'm not quite sure if the rather meek comedy is doing it for me, but as far as a tongue-in-cheek watch goes, it's keeping me marginally interested.

The World God Only Knows S1 (4). mediocre.

Um, ok. I didn't want to watch them talk about boring game bugs. There were a couple of fun jokes here, but overall this ep was a flatline for me. It's one thing to ease up for an episode, but if you're not going to use that chance to characterize, you'd better dial the comedy up to 11. This really just felt like a lame DVD special that was dragged out for far too long.

The World God Only Knows S1 (5-7). so-so.

This arc was pretty lame, because it not only had to contrive a silly challenge for the leads to solve, but it solved it in a way wherein it might as well have not even been there to begin with. It ended up feeling like I was watching an anime character playing a dating sim more than anything, and worse: it was stretched way the hell out to three episodes. It wouldn't be bad if the idol-related material at least put some twists on the formula, or if the girl wasn't just a flatline who randomly pulled out some yandere-tasers sometimes, but it was just plain boring to watch for the most part. The central conceit that she liked the MC off the bat, and he was the problem, was a nice one, and I wish that they capitalized on that instead.

The World God Only Knows S1 (8). good.

This episode totally made up for the lamer one-off episode earlier in the series. It wasn't exactly stellar, but it was creative and did a good job of using its cast to present this type of "multiple perspectives" story. It was also rather funny and charming, which was the perfect change of pace after the last 3 or 4 episodes. Even the generic "vase breaking" sound effect that all shows seem to use was here, and now I finally know where Elsea's superdeformed crying image comes from. The mom-service was also hilarious, because she's the last character I would expect the series to showcase (and how many anime show fanservice of a biker chick?).

The World God Only Knows S1 (9-11). decent.

Jeez, I wish my highschool had a library like that. Also, I now understand what people were talking about with respect to Elsea and fire trucks. Not to mention having a chuckle at the book titled "Ergo Proxy XVI: busy doing nothing" (since they called their episodes "tomes"). However, this arc was just as plodding as the one with the idol, and they really pushed it with how much they stretched things out. Thankfully the subject matter was a bit less lame, since it involved giving the leads an actual challenge; one that wasn't as contrived as the stuff with the idol, and had a much better climax (some nice music and visual imagery, too). Also the girl's "baka" and "aho" were so adorable that it was almost worth suffering through the plodding pacing and all of her inner monologing (almost). As with the idol's arc, dragging it out to three episodes instead of two was what held back my enjoyment the most. I think a carefully abridged version of this series would bring out the best in it.

The World God Only Knows S1 (12). so-so.

This was the episode that I would have expected where the "bug" episode was instead. But as usual, despite it having some fun moments, it was dragged out way too long for its own good. It was really a 2 or 5 minute comedy sketch stretched out to 22 minutes. There was no real character development and it felt quite repetitive after a while. So not the strongest way to end the series, but I guess it'll have to do. At least the ED song was funny with it's bad singing.

I enjoyed the anime. 

Just spoiled the manga for myself (thanks Google Images).

I am satisfied with that ending.

the heck are u guys talking about

after reading the summary I feel like the only (few) ways this can go (since it sounds like you're all implying SOMETHING happens)

- not actually daughter, hella drama uncovering roots

- someone dies, but the ratings are too high to support that

- lil' girl with heart of gold fixes issue with MC, high ratings support this

- fix problem with famiry, everything is k

- opt 1 part 2 opens door to romance, but the tag isn't, I think that would fall under "uncomfortable"

- #1 dad JP, but the reactions here don't seem like that's all there is

reading the summary it sounds like you guys got spanish Inquisitioned, but there's so little to work with here (especially given the premise) 

I recently discovered Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan on Netflix. Much fight

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Shit would have got weird if they had continued with Usagi Drop.

Even though they did kinda "fix" it at the end, still ehhhhhhh........

I loved Bunny Drop! I really want to encode that one once it get everything straightened out. I don't think too many people have seen it.

They usually reheat the metal in between the folding process, basically tempering it so most the stress build up basically goes away.

I thought it was beating the metal to distribute the impurities more evenly and remove some maybe.

lol wtf is that.

Looks like you're writing an essay with equations.

Are you talking about forging a Katana? If so there are various ways of making them some better than others and some just different.

Folding is to remove impurities. It is also to even out the carbon content. Swords, Katana's especially are not made out of one hardness of steel. There is a cool diagram of different kinda I saw of this.

Are you talking about forging a Katana? If so there are various ways of making them some better than others and some just different.

Folding is to remove impurities. It is also to even out the carbon content. Swords, Katana's especially are not made out of one hardness of steel. There is a cool diagram of different kinda I saw of this.

Most European swords actually are made of only one kind of steel. You are right about katanas tho.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Most European swords actually are made of only one kind of steel. You are right about katanas tho.

Katana's are still one type of steel, just different hardness's. Take a look at the middle east, maybe Egypt as well. Europe was not known for having great Swords. [emoji14]

Katana's are still one type of steel, just different hardness's. Take a look at the middle east, maybe Egypt as well. Europe was not known for having great Swords. [emoji14]

Well, it has different amounts of carbon, so I think it could still pass as different kinds of steel. :)

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

katana's are very weak though, people think you can break all kinds of things with it, i remember a story about one guy buying a £800 katana and he attacked a bookshelf and snapped the blade. I know a few people that practice swordplay on tyres swinging on a tree and even that can dull the blade. They are just made for hitting soft flesh, while they can do that cleaning if they hit armor then you will have a bad day. the forgery stuff still confuses me though, im more interested in how they all work. europe has some solid swords and the infamous pommel throw but most of the time it was just no nonsense long or broadswords which are reasonably easy to forge or maintain. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

katana's are very weak though, people think you can break all kinds of things with it, i remember a story about one guy buying a £800 katana and he attacked a bookshelf and snapped the blade. I know a few people that practice swordplay on tyres swinging on a tree and even that can dull the blade. They are just made for hitting soft flesh, while they can do that cleaning if they hit armor then you will have a bad day. the forgery stuff still confuses me though, im more interested in how they all work. europe has some solid swords and the infamous pommel throw but most of the time it was just no nonsense long or broadswords which are reasonably easy to forge or maintain.

That sounds like that one guy had a monosteel katana, most real katana do bend before they break.

Katanas were made for fast slices... not banging them against each other... or against armor...

it's also made to slice, not chop... so a full swing is needed so that the blade can do its work....

My honest opinion on Anime?

Well the only ones I could ever sit through were Pokemon and Avatar The Last Airbender. (if you even consider those Anime, but they were part of my childhood)

Through my years on the internet I've come to acknowledge that Anime is widely popular and I accept that people including my best friend enjoy it, but I find it a bit annoying when I have to constantly scroll through groups of people with what looks like young girls, often in lewd positions. What's the point? Does that really represent who you are?

I get that "sex sells" and I'm all for the free and open expression of the majesty that is the human body. But I'm a really non-fiction, down to earth sort of guy, I just don't see many anime that fill a niche that I look for. They just all seem polarized towards cute and sexy. I tried to watch some more history/ geography based ones recommended to me like Hetalia and Girls und Panzer and I encountered the same things that put me off.

I try to be open to new things. I mean Avatar (tlab) gave me a perfect blend of culture from the far east and west. It felt like it was actually aimed at me instead of translated as an afterthought and that it was something I could watch with other people without feeling weird or creepy.

Well the only ones I could ever sit through were Pokemon and Avatar The Last Airbender. (if you even consider those Anime, but they were part of my childhood)

Through my years on the internet I've come to acknowledge that Anime is widely popular and I accept that people including my best friend enjoy it, but I find it a bit annoying when I have to constantly scroll through groups of people with what looks like young girls, often in lewd positions. What's the point? Does that really represent who you are?

I get that "sex sells" and I'm all for the free and open expression of the majesty that is the human body. But I'm a really non-fiction, down to earth sort of guy, I just don't see many anime that fill a niche that I look for. They just all seem polarized towards cute and sexy. I tried to watch some more history/ geography based ones recommended to me like Hetalia and Girls und Panzer and I encountered the same things that put me off.

I try to be open to new things. I mean Avatar (tlab) gave me a perfect blend of culture from the far east and west. It felt like it was actually aimed at me instead of translated as an afterthought and that it was something I could watch with other people without feeling weird or creepy.

its the art of a low risk investment, as you said, sex sells. Anime is a risky business, there isnt as much money in it as people think and this means that its risky to think of something different, im not too big into all that lewd content 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

So a thing.

I've never used MemTest before. I did on my Omni-USB (which is somewhat working, though Linux UEFI isn't), and my PC ran for 7 hours and complete 2.34 passes. 

0 errors. Yay. I was worried it was my RAM because sometimes I get an error in Windows about how it can't write to RAM or an address is missing or something. 

It's just Windows being Windows I guess.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I tried to watch some more history/ geography based ones recommended to me like Hetalia and Girls und Panzer and I encountered the same things that put me off.

well, there's your problem

it's a very broad medium, there are a fair bit of titles that will (based on what you've said) not annoy you with stereotypes.

were you looking for recommendations or just commenting?

most swords people play with these days are display swords and chances are that the guy breaking it on a book self either broke the tang off of a display sword or hit with the side of the blade rather then the edge of it.

well pokemon is an anime but avatar is just a western cartoon animated in south korea in a anime style. Just like everything else there are different genres and not all of them use the over-sexualization of minors to sell their product. However a lot of anime is targeted at a younger male audience which results in that.

well, there's your problem

it's a very broad medium, there are a fair bit of titles that will (based on what you've said) not annoy you with stereotypes.

were you looking for recommendations or just commenting?

I'll take suggestions, sure. As I said, I try to be always open to new things.

I'll take suggestions, sure. As I said, I try to be always open to new things.

Are you looking for movies or series? Also any genres you are possibly interested in generally speaking?

the heck are u guys talking about

I ain't one to spoil things often.

I recently discovered Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan on Netflix. Much fight

Cute snow girl, not much else to it.

Folding is to remove impurities.

How the heck does folding "remove impurities"? At best I can see it redistributing them away from the edge of the blade, but I can't see a smith having that kind of fine molecular control over things with just a hammer and anvil.

It felt like it was actually aimed at me instead of translated as an afterthought

Well of course, because that's exactly what it was: an anime-style cartoon made for Western kids. Not one made for Japanese people first (as almost all anime tend to be).

You'll have to give us some kind of idea of your tastes, because otherwise you're better off just trying the anime on lists like the one a page or two earlier in this thread. Anime is just too broad to recommend them willy-nilly, and most anime fans will recommend stuff that they like, not what you'll like. There's also the fact that a lot of people just plain hate reading subtitles, and most dubs for older anime are pretty awful. Even worse, many "gateway" anime people recommend are so critically awful that if you're not one to just look at the pretty artwork, you'll never want to see another anime again. Some gateway anime with solid dubs that aren't critically awful are: Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note, Spice and Wolf, Mushishi and the Ghost in the Shell franchise.