PCIe CPU lanes vs Chipset lanes for NVMe - any difference in gaming?

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

image.png.f295b4db335e09d165bec8e4cc981da3.png

image.png.bffdb8b24f0ddb6f299b47911e504670.png

6 minutes ago, Gessler555 said:

From what I heard, populating the topmost slot (marked M.2_1) which supports PCIe 5.0 would mean my GPU would no longer get x16 lanes, even if I'm only putting a PCIe 4.0 NVMe like my 980 Pro in that slot (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Correct.

So I'm putting my boot drive in the M.2_2 slot, fine.

Yes.

So if I put my games drive on any of the other 3 slots, am I losing anything with regard to speed or otherwise?

No, not in the real world. If this is a gaming PC, there is essentially no chances of that being an issue. You'd have to be moving some serious data between other devices connected to the chipset for that to ever be a concern. 

I'm planning to get a ROG Z790-E Gaming WiFi II board which comes with 5 x M.2 slots. I have a 980 Pro NVMe (500gb) that I want to be my boot drive and I'm planning to get a 2tb 990 Pro NVMe (or WD SN850x) for my games & files.

From what I heard, populating the topmost slot (marked M.2_1) which supports PCIe 5.0 would mean my GPU would no longer get x16 lanes, even if I'm only putting a PCIe 4.0 NVMe like my 980 Pro in that slot (correct me if I'm wrong on that). So I'm putting my boot drive in the M.2_2 slot, fine.

But those two are the only slots that talk directly with the CPU, rest all go through the chipset. So if I put my games drive on any of the other 3 slots, am I losing anything with regard to speed or otherwise?

Sorry for the stupid question, I'm not well versed with how exactly the PCIe lanes work and what effect if any it's going to have on my read/write speeds or just general game performance.

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

image.png.f295b4db335e09d165bec8e4cc981da3.png

image.png.bffdb8b24f0ddb6f299b47911e504670.png

From what I heard, populating the topmost slot (marked M.2_1) which supports PCIe 5.0 would mean my GPU would no longer get x16 lanes, even if I'm only putting a PCIe 4.0 NVMe like my 980 Pro in that slot (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Correct.

So I'm putting my boot drive in the M.2_2 slot, fine.

Yes.

So if I put my games drive on any of the other 3 slots, am I losing anything with regard to speed or otherwise?

No, not in the real world. If this is a gaming PC, there is essentially no chances of that being an issue. You'd have to be moving some serious data between other devices connected to the chipset for that to ever be a concern. 

@GuiltySpark_ so if I put a gen 4 drive in my motherboard's top slot (B650E-F), would my GPU be affected?

Apprentice Software Developer

So far not really, I used one in main slot later moved it on other slot and loads were same. Now, in time once games fully start to utilize modern SSDs with DirectStorage we will have to compare then.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |