A 62-Year-Old Paralyzed Man Sent Out His First Tweet With Brain Chip

adarw

Summary

A 62-Year-Old Paralyzed Man Sent Out His First Tweet With Brain-computer interfaces (BCI). it basically lets you chose where you want to click on a screen. 

Quotes

A paralysed man has become the first person to tweet a message to the world using only direct thought.

The feat was pulled off by Philip O’Keefe - a motor neurone disease patient - using a microchip implant that picks up his brain signals.

It's been described as the "first direct-thought tweet" after Mr O’Keefe said said “Hello World” using the brain implant.

Synchron, a brain computer interface company, announced a Twitter takeover by Philip O’Keefe on December 23rd.

He is one of the patients implanted with computer company Synchron's Stentrode brain computer interface, or in other words, a microchip in his body that analyses his brain signals and helps carry out commands.

Mr O’Keefe is the first person to successfully message the world on social media directly through thought, Synchron said.

“When I first heard about this technology, I knew how much independence it could give back to me. The system is astonishing, it's like learning to ride a bike - it takes practice, but once you're rolling, it becomes natural,” said Mr O’Keefe.

“Now, I just think about where on the computer I want to click, and I can email, bank, shop, and now message the world via Twitter.”

Mr O’Keefe took over the Twitter handle of Synchron CEO, Thomas Oxley.

His goal was to share his experience of regaining independence with the world and offer inspiration for the future.

“My hope is that I'm paving the way for people to tweet through thoughts,” was his closing statement.

My thoughts 

this is pretty cool. its quite life changing to some. that is all i got to say.

Sources

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/paralysed-man-sends-tweet-using-25793456

https://interestingengineering.com/a-62-year-old-paralyzed-man-sent-out-his-first-tweet-with-brain-chip

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

6 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

This is really cool, but if I were Paralyzed I would pray to any deity there is that my brain won't be connected to twitter of alll places. 

its not connected to Twitter per say, its connected to your computer where you can control where you press.

-----------------

#

9 minutes ago, adarw said:

its not connected to Twitter per say, its connected to your computer where you can control where you press.

Yeah, I wouldn‘t trust my brain with that kind of power without constant supervision. 

My mind tends to go to funny places and that spells disaster, lol.

Good for that individual and others though!

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Imagine someones choice of first communication after years of paralysis is... a sales pitch on Twitter?

Am I missing something or is humanity truly lost?

well it was to show it works. i think that its practical to do it, like what else was he supposed to do.

-----------------

#

3 hours ago, adarw said:

well it was to show it works. i think that its practical to do it, like what else was he supposed to do.

Don‘t get me wrong, I genuinely think this is useful and am happy for everyone who benefits from this. The first Part was a failed attempt to be funny;)

Just now, Salv8 (sam) said:

one step closer to memory ransomware.

ftfy

-----------------

#

can this help us get FULL DIVE VR? since i really don't care much for a 1400p screen in front of my eyeballs.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Imagine someones choice of first communication after years of paralysis is... a sales pitch on Twitter?

Am I missing something or is humanity truly lost?

yes, you are missing the fact this wasn't his first communication and communicating using brain signals have been around for over a decade. The new thing is using it to send a tweet.

18 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

can this help us get FULL DIVE VR? since i really don't care much for a 1400p screen in front of my eyeballs.

Sword Art Online takes place in December 2022. Soon.

13 hours ago, Dreckssackblase said:

This is really cool, but if I were Paralyzed I would pray to any deity there is that my brain won't be connected to twitter of alll places. 

were it seems like one of the people behind the mRNA was banned? oof

so a brain chip that doesn't cause complications as the other ones, or?

twitter be sus, ngl. but cool, I guess.

much cooler if it does change the life of those paralyzed. else there is a lot of other tech out there experimenting.

17 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

one step away from memory ransomware.

ya think i'm joking but im actually not.

It will be like Ghost in the Shell with brain attack.

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

On 12/29/2021 at 4:20 AM, YellowJersey said:

I would have just started spamming something like "ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD" just to make the doctors and researchers think something had gone horribly wrong.

Best post I've seen this month. Well done, well done.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.