It Took Me a YEAR to Get This

CPotter

Hi everyone, can someone tell me what model is the thunderbolt card that is installed inside Linus PC (and also the hub at the other end) ? And does it works on any AMD platform ?

In some previous upgrade videos the PC was switched to an Asrock motherboard having onboard thunderbolt, in this one it's a pcie card.

Looking for this kind of setup, I'm a little confused.

Thanks a lot.

I love this setup. Having your pc on a different floor is super awesome. I don't know if it was explained in the vide and I missed it, but how do you turn the pc on?

7 minutes ago, Dr_Worm said:

chrome_VBZrcGqs1d.png

beat me to it

13 SECONDS IN AND THERE'S ALREADY AN ERROR

HOW DID THEY NOT SEE THAT

10 minutes ago, iLikeBananas said:

I love this setup. Having your pc on a different floor is super awesome. I don't know if it was explained in the vide and I missed it, but how do you turn the pc on?

I'm guessing they never turn it off and just use sleep or hibernate. You can wake from keyboard.

There was a time when Macs could power on from the keyboard. I really miss that. But I guess we are all expected to use sleep instead of full shut down now.

6:20, Downgrades the PSU and repins a cable because of a sponsorship. I admire the dedication to fulfill the sponsorship, but honestly, why?

Good thing those custom cables either have propper 12v sense with ferrite beads or no 12v sense at all to avoid tripping. 

I havent even heard about the TX1000.. Yet alone seen a 3090 that sexy.

cough cough all tho id still get a 3090 oc white lol cough cough

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, Kukron said:

Hi everyone, can someone tell me what model is the thunderbolt card that is installed inside Linus PC (and also the hub at the other end) ? And does it works on any AMD platform ?

In some previous upgrade videos the PC was switched to an Asrock motherboard having onboard thunderbolt, in this one it's a pcie card.

Looking for this kind of setup, I'm a little confused.

Thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure the Thunderbolt carts is a GC-TITAN RIDGE from Gigabyte.  At least the backplate of the Titan is the same shown at 2:57 of the video.  It is a bit aggravating that Linus says it's a very important part of the build, but doesn't say what it is.  And looking for Thunderbolt PC card with DP in doesn't really find it.  I had to look for "DP In 1" "DP in 2" to find it.  So I hope it's the card he used.  As for the docking station I've no clue for. 

10 minutes ago, durrik said:

I'm pretty sure the Thunderbolt carts is a GC-TITAN RIDGE from Gigabyte.  At least the backplate of the Titan is the same shown at 2:57 of the video.  It is a bit aggravating that Linus says it's a very important part of the build, but doesn't say what it is.  And looking for Thunderbolt PC card with DP in doesn't really find it.  I had to look for "DP In 1" "DP in 2" to find it.  So I hope it's the card he used.  As for the docking station I've no clue for. 

I believe the docking station used here is Kensington Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station (SD5300T?). Or Echo 11... who knows. A bit of a guess based on the 2 led lights lit and the unique shape of the dock itself.

are the rest of the home videos going to be click bait too? ugh.

at least there is one topic that will be fun. *goes back to the older home upgrade videos instead*

I want to do this but also have a 'desk' next to the computer.  So I an pick if lets say im working in my office at the computer or I want to now use the living room TV in another room.  Is there a simple way to do that or it would just be manually turning on/off displays in windows settings?

That GPU block is done/toast - NO WAY should a proper nickel coated piece look like that after THAT SHORT period of time. I have six-year-old EK blocks that still look BRAND NEW and could be resold they are in that good condition. Either your coolant formulation wasn't up to par and destroyed the nickel OR Corsairs blocks were just a cheap POS engineered and designed by the clueless monkeys that they truly are.

EVGA actually has that same 3090 with an EK block factory fitted (24G-P5-3979-KR). I am thinking the backplate cooler is something extra here that they offer for the aftermarket blocks they sell. Fair word of warning as well - whenever you REUSE a block from a previous install there is a risk of contaminating the rest of your loop from residue left behind even after a flush. You may think it's clean, but it isn't.

As for mounting that machine remotely - bad idea!!! Custom cooled systems can be notorious for errors and things tripping when you least expect it. A faulty 12V cable going to a drive/pump, dead fan, coolant leak or dust/heat issue can balloon into a huge problem very quickly. Left unattended and you are rolling the dice. At least with the rig next to you you get to see and hear when something is off and fix it right away BEFORE it turns into a much more serious problem. Keeping it on another floor you wouldn't even know if a fire broke out until it was too late. And that's not even getting into what can happen when you introduce water into a rack. That kind of overconfidence is what comes back and bites you in the ass. I would not want to be the insurance company underwriting the policy on your house.

Also, I have nothing against sponsored videos. But when those videos end up giving the viewers bad advice and problems because the wrong information was conveyed I have to wonder if that excuse is still legitimate. How low has the bar gone down at LMG for companies to throw money at you? We end up paying for mistakes but you have the luxury of editing those out or just not even bothering to disclose how a job/build finishes, Moreover you still get paid even if whatever it is you do ends up getting hosed. Not exactly the hallmark of credibility.

52 minutes ago, Luscious said:

That GPU block is done/toast - NO WAY should a proper nickel coated piece look like that after THAT SHORT period of time. I have six-year-old EK blocks that still look BRAND NEW and could be resold they are in that good condition. Either your coolant formulation wasn't up to par and destroyed the nickel OR Corsairs blocks were just a cheap POS engineered and designed by the clueless monkeys that they truly are.

EVGA actually has that same 3090 with an EK block factory fitted (24G-P5-3979-KR). I am thinking the backplate cooler is something extra here that they offer for the aftermarket blocks they sell. Fair word of warning as well - whenever you REUSE a block from a previous install there is a risk of contaminating the rest of your loop from residue left behind even after a flush. You may think it's clean, but it isn't.

As for mounting that machine remotely - bad idea!!! Custom cooled systems can be notorious for errors and things tripping when you least expect it. A faulty 12V cable going to a drive/pump, dead fan, coolant leak or dust/heat issue can balloon into a huge problem very quickly. Left unattended and you are rolling the dice. At least with the rig next to you you get to see and hear when something is off and fix it right away BEFORE it turns into a much more serious problem. Keeping it on another floor you wouldn't even know if a fire broke out until it was too late. And that's not even getting into what can happen when you introduce water into a rack. That kind of overconfidence is what comes back and bites you in the ass. I would not want to be the insurance company underwriting the policy on your house.

Also, I have nothing against sponsored videos. But when those videos end up giving the viewers bad advice and problems because the wrong information was conveyed I have to wonder if that excuse is still legitimate. How low has the bar gone down at LMG for companies to throw money at you? We end up paying for mistakes but you have the luxury of editing those out or just not even bothering to disclose how a job/build finishes, Moreover you still get paid even if whatever it is you do ends up getting hosed. Not exactly the hallmark of credibility.

The machine has been water cooled and in another room for years already... 

Do you never leave your pc on unattended? Mine runs 24/7, as does my server.

I did find the PSU downgrade a bit odd though!

Hey, 

Just wanting to know the thunderbolt dock that was used for this.

I have a laptop setup (Predator Triton 500) and wanting to clean it up some more by reducing the cables. I already own a a thunderbolt dock but it didn't seem to run as fast as by just plugging the cable straight into the PC.

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Luscious said:

Linus has been running a custom loop system in another room (a server closet in a hallway) since like 2016. Hilarious to think why anybody ever does a custom loop at all reading this, though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Aragorn- said:

Actually, yes - my system went "live" in 2015 and has been running 24/7 doing F@H pretty much non-stop. The difference is I keep a close eye on it since it's in the same space as I am (why else do people install RGB then?). Mine is about as stacked as you can get with four GPU's, 5 rads, 5 blocks, 30 fans, custom wiring, sound insulation, dust filtering and specific drain/flush/fill ports. Complex AF? For sure? Have I had issues? Of course. The difference is had I placed it out of sight those issues could have become way worse, which is why keeping an eye on your gear, and especially anything custom water, is not just a stuff-it-in-a-rack-and-forget-it job. Nothing has ever become damaged or destroyed for me, and my estimate is the system will run for another four years, by which time it will be 10 years old and need replacing simply because by then it will just be a tired old dog. The $1000 custom CaseLabs case I am keeping!

A rack mount AC unit is the way to go with forced air cooling for your actual servers. Placed in a room with it's own temperature/humidity control, fire suppression, air filtration and redundant UPS/power circuit I wouldn't be raising any concerns. That's kind of why servers have rooms/buildings specifically built, and why adapting a full height rack for home use even in a garage/basement can be a serious challenge.

2 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

i think that was a efficient thing

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Just parroting what others have requested. I'm actually interested in this setup but the interface he used in the PC and the dock he used aren't mentioned anywhere. Others have stated a couple things but nothing looks quite like what they had on that desk and the video clarity is JUST a bit too hard to read anything on the top of it. Would be cool if we could get an official reply with those parts. Thanks!

I have my desktop in my half server rack next to my desk, would be nice to move it further or at least only need one cable. I agree the card in the computer appears to be GC-TITAN RIDGE from Gigabyte, still need to figure out the dock as most I've used have been flaky. I also would like to run two display port monitors off my dock as that's what I currently run. 

I seem to remember a different video awhile ago when they were showing off optical Thunderbolt cables they talked more about the dock. 

48 minutes ago, ChaunceyP said:

Just parroting what others have requested. I'm actually interested in this setup but the interface he used in the PC and the dock he used aren't mentioned anywhere. Others have stated a couple things but nothing looks quite like what they had on that desk and the video clarity is JUST a bit too hard to read anything on the top of it. Would be cool if we could get an official reply with those parts. Thanks!

Yeah seconded

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

No Linus, it's not normal to have your GPU block destroyed after just 2,5 years. Just like it wasn't normal with your previous block, even if it wasn't as destroyed.

If you stopped using tab water and stopped spitting into your loop, then your blocks would be fine.

You're a terrible advocate for watercooling.

8 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

The video was sponsored by Seasonic which is why they changed the power supply to a Seasonic PSU. It's disclosed at the start of the video that Seasonic is sponsoring the video and when they install it they also mention the reason they're swapping the PSU is because Seasonic sponsored the video.

6 hours ago, dogwitch said:

i think that was a efficient thing

The AX1500i that was already in there is 80+ Titanium. There's not really much practical difference in efficiency between the two units since they're both 80+ titanium rated. The Seasonic TX-1000 is slightly more efficient at low loads while the AX1500i is more efficient at higher loads. This is mostly due to the difference in the maximum output of the two PSUs. For real world use it's not going to make any noticeable difference in terms of efficiency.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 hours ago, dilpickle said:

I'm guessing they never turn it off and just use sleep or hibernate.

4 hours ago, alifarshad275 said:

by not turning it off i guess XD

Okay, thanks you two. So I assume that they put their computer to sleep, and when they want to use it again the just hit their keyboard and it turns back on? How would that affect energy consumption? I assume that this is not that much of an issue for him but it surely is for other people who have similar projects in mind.