It Took Me a YEAR to Get This

CPotter

OMG How to drill with that truth concrete?!
And if someone have question I use the same Icron + a Chinese one my self! The Radio Receiver is on the Attic and the Server in the Basement. Thanks to the Glas Fiber Cable the length dont pla any role.

From AT. :x

11 hours ago, Fabean said:

I have my desktop in my half server rack next to my desk, would be nice to move it further or at least only need one cable. I agree the card in the computer appears to be GC-TITAN RIDGE from Gigabyte, still need to figure out the dock as most I've used have been flaky. I also would like to run two display port monitors off my dock as that's what I currently run. 

I seem to remember a different video awhile ago when they were showing off optical Thunderbolt cables they talked more about the dock. 

I also found the GC-MAPLE RIDGE which looks almost identical to the TITAN-RIDGE.  There's only a bit near the PCIe connector that looks different.  The back plates are the same though.  The Titan and TB3 and the Maple TB4.  So it's probably the Maple, just very hard to figure out from the video and Google fails when trying to find the information and you have to get lucky when looking.

Man I was excited about this. I want to convert my desktop to unraid but still be able to use VR and output to the TV. This seems like a great solution except the cable. Anyone know of any TB cables of any length above 20ft that aren’t $500?

I too would like to know what PCI card and Dock he is using. I have the exact same setup as Linus where I have a server rack with a rack mounted PC running AMD CPU and nVidia 3000 series GPU. Currently my desk is sitting next to my rack and while the noise isn’t bad I hate running 20 cables (4 displays) 10+ feet. I would love to run a single Thunderbolt cable from my PC to a dock on the desk and then shorter cables from the dock to my peripherals and monitors. I know finding a quad display dock is pretty much out of the question so I can get by with 3 and hook a mini PC up to the 4th that I use for grafana dashboards NVR cameras and such. 

And if this works well I may be able to move my rack into my closet under the stairs and make it even better. Right now I would need 10ft cable from PC to dock but if I moved it under stairs I’m guessing 25ft would work. 

45 minutes ago, crazzp said:

According to Jake on WAN show, the docking station is from Sabrent. This is the nearest one I found. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2ML8LL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AP3VA1GJZM3EQ&psc=1

Didn’t look like the dock in the video and only one display output + thunderbolt which I guess I could use a TB to DP cable but still not quite what I’m looking for. 

thanks! 

Seriously forget the dock, any TB dock should work no? The cable is the key and hardest thing to find unless you’re ok paying $500…

Hi long term lurker, first time poster. I've been keeping an eye on these videos for some time and want to reproduce this for mysellf. Why does this video not provide any detailed information on the equipment used, detailed setup, how to turn the PC on etc? Yes we can make assumptions but I don't understand why that information wasn't included?

Can anyone please provide details of what equipment is needed? PCI card? Dock? Cable?

Also how to turn on remotely? Can the dock do this? Or WOL?

Thanks in advanced.

2 hours ago, 2pro4sho said:

Hi long term lurker, first time poster. I've been keeping an eye on these videos for some time and want to reproduce this for mysellf. Why does this video not provide any detailed information on the equipment used, detailed setup, how to turn the PC on etc? Yes we can make assumptions but I don't understand why that information wasn't included?

Can anyone please provide details of what equipment is needed? PCI card? Dock? Cable?

Also how to turn on remotely? Can the dock do this? Or WOL?

Thanks in advanced.

It's a continuation of some old stuff but as far as I can tell he doesn't mention all of it though some of the stuff is explained throughout the 2015, 2019 and 2020 series of videos.

The fifth one which is what I linked mentiosn using optical thunderbolt cables. Something to get thunderbolt 3 attached to the motherboards and in the initial video his adaptor was a version of this. https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Elgato-Gaming/Dock/Elgato-Thunderbolt™-3-Dock---EU-UK-HK-SG/p/10DAA8501 Though I don't know for everything else. The reason it's not gone in depth is probably since the Linus Tech Tips videos are made with a very wide audience in mind and aren't really aimed at some of this nitty gritty if they don't think it's interesting. Though I don't know why it's not in the description. Maybe floatplane exclusives might go in depth but I don't know.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:42 PM, Ultraforce said:

It's a continuation of some old stuff but as far as I can tell he doesn't mention all of it though some of the stuff is explained throughout the 2015, 2019 and 2020 series of videos.

The fifth one which is what I linked mentiosn using optical thunderbolt cables. Something to get thunderbolt 3 attached to the motherboards and in the initial video his adaptor was a version of this. https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Elgato-Gaming/Dock/Elgato-Thunderbolt™-3-Dock---EU-UK-HK-SG/p/10DAA8501 Though I don't know for everything else. The reason it's not gone in depth is probably since the Linus Tech Tips videos are made with a very wide audience in mind and aren't really aimed at some of this nitty gritty if they don't think it's interesting. Though I don't know why it's not in the description. Maybe floatplane exclusives might go in depth but I don't know.

Yes I've literally been following these videos for what seems like years lol. I wonder if TB4 would have any benefits? It's a big investment to make for me without knowing exactly what I need....huge risk 😞

14 hours ago, 2pro4sho said:

Yes I've literally been following these videos for what seems like years lol. I wonder if TB4 would have any benefits? It's a big investment to make for me without knowing exactly what I need....huge risk 😞

Ah listening back to the video sponsored by Caldigit the TS3 Plus is what he uses for his desktop. So it's only Thunderbolt 3 but yeah it's quite pricey with the main reason he likes it is for all the USB ports that work well for him the audio interface isn't used but he has connected his audio interface to the USB for his audio set up after there was a problem.

But they are definitely expensive.

• 8 months later...

Really awesome build!  I went back and watched the earlier build for this case, researching my own build to move all my kit into a rack in a very similar way.  Wish I could afford to get protocase to make me something, I'm going to have to hack apart some cheap 4u rack cases for mine :(.  Going to end up being 2 4U cases for my server!  And then another for my 5950x/3080ti box.

https://community.spiceworks.com/people/buckrogers25/projects/enterprise-sandbox

Have a question about the radiator setup there if you don't mind.  I went and watched the stacking radiator video from some time ago and think this may be one of the only if not the only rack case build I've seen with paralell rads.  Just been researching as I'm running two rads in serial in my desktop atm, and thinking about doing them in paralell in a rack case, serial with them right up against each other wouldn't great .  How much difference does running two in paralell make vs the alternatives or just running one?  Bit of a hard one to answer that, I'm guessing it makes a few degrees difference to coolant temps?

Thanks for all the awesome content, sorry for being a lurker :).

• 3 months later...

As many of you are interested in a solution like this, it was the same for me. So, i bought the Add-in Card, the Cable and the dock:

Asus B550-A Gaming + Asus EX4 Thunderbolt Card (JHL8540 controller)

25m Corning thundebrolt 3 fiber cable

i-tec thunderbolt dock

as i put all together i saw immediately, that it won't work since the dock doesn’t power up when i connected the fiber cable.

i had a HP Elitebook around here with 12th gen intel cpu and it worked without any problem, just connected the dock and all usb and screen came up. even reboot and coming back from power save did work. so i then updated my Asus EX4 Card driver to the same version which the HP had but no chance to get it work. Yes, it has a different controller (463E and the Asus shows as 1137) so no idea if that’s a compatibility issue.

from the Video and comments in this thread i come to an end that the Card which Linus is using must be a Titan Ride rev. 1 or 2.0 both are with the DSL7540 which are actually the JHL7540. the newer Card from gigabyte it's a Mapple Ridge (JHL8540) same as the i have from Asus. Maybe it just works with the "older" Add-in Cards.

there are many different settings in the thunderbolt section of the BIOS which a played around with no luck. So basically i know, that the dock and the cable itself are working so it must be a problem with the Add-In Card (Thunderbolt controller). My idea was to buy the older Asus Card EX4-TR which has the JHL7540 controller as well but unfortunately i can't get it anywhere since it is too old...
maybe somebody has other ideas or alternative solution. i also put few images how everything looks.

NUmber 10,11,12 are the HP which works perfectly

/EDIT after long tests and different Hardware i got it running - the whole process can be found here:

the last few comments, if somebody is interested.