Is Intel finished as a company?

More likely fate for Intel?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Fall or Comeback

• They will fail
    • They will comeback

With the rise of the Ryzen chips taking a large portion of the PC microconductor market share and Apple ditching Intel for M1, is Intel truly screwed and going the way of Blackberry? 

I've had a look at some of their 11th-gen mobile chips and they seem to be finally doing a bit better (on 10 nm) and they perform similar to the Ryzen 5000-series, but they still draw a lot of power and their desktop processors (11th gen at least) still leave a lot to be desired compared to the Ryzen offerings but we'll see with the 12th gen whether they are making progress like with their laptop lines. 

Do you think Intel is screwed? Or can they come back? 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

17 minutes ago, Jackgamer91 said:

Intel will have a comeback for sure. Intel's manufacturing innovation stagnated for the past 6 years or so. New leadership and shaking down the "stack" if you will, setting goals and deadlines, increasing competition; will for sure have Intel have a comeback but it may take a few years as chip design takes years before we see the final product in our hands. Intel's R&D is billions of dollars, but also keep in mind they have other subdivisions in the company that not just focus on CPUs, like IoT, FPGA etc. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

First, they have maintained being competitive on the low end ever since Ryzen 3000 came out, especially now since AMD has more or less given up on low end CPUs. The 11400 is a great value when you can get it for MSRP.

Second, they've more or less already come back on the desktop side. 12th gen desktop is some of the best performing CPUs out currently, for a good price too. Sure they have some early adopter issues, but so did Ryzen. Give it a few months and they're likely to be fully ironed out, same way it was with X99 and Ryzen. 

Third, they build a lot more stuff than CPUs. Network cards, SSDs, and a few other things that are some of the best in the industry. Even if they are fail on the CPU front (which they won't), they've still got more than enough market share in those other categories to survive, if not thrive. Remember, they own the patent for x86, so anytime someone tries to make an x86 CPU (like AMD), they have to license it from Intel. 

Finally, their 10nm (or Intel 7) CPUs are actually quite good. The laptop I'm typing this up on now is Tiger Lake, and it's great. Low power, yet still plenty of CPU performance for basic stuff and other light stuff. Then there's Alder Lake desktop, which isn't super power efficient, but it's about as powerful as you can get for a desktop CPU. They may have been twiddling their thumbs for the past decade, but that doesn't mean their down and out quite yet, it just means they have to play catch up for the next year or so. 

Intel still is a much bigger company than AMD revenue wise. AMD hasn't even come close to Intel yet.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Intel hasn't even really fallen yet. They still dominate the laptop, desktop, and server markets. The enthusiast DIY market is the only place where AMD is at parity, and that's a tiny market.

All it will take is a couple good generations for Intel and AMD can easily stall in acquiring market share.

As for the laptop space, I have no idea how AMD is going to compete with Alder Lake for productivity. Intel will have 14 core, 20 thread mobile chip. That beatdown of the 5900HX by the 12980HK is gonna be like the 3990X against the 10980XE, but with Intel on top this time.

quite a few things are assumed here...

- the assumption intel is 'failing' in the first place. (in the business space, basicly everything is still intel, because IT departments usually are about as flexible as a piece of dried up driftwood)

- the assumption that intel will diminish into nothing if their processors dont tower above AMD's performance.

- the assumption that apple M1 is a death sentence for x86

- the assumption that intel couldnt transition if ARM (or risc-V for that matter) becomes the new top dog architecture.

- the assumption that even if all of the above is true, intel doesnt have their fingers in a douzen other fields they could gladly survive on.

I'd put it like this. If Intel are screwed, AMD are even more screwed.

For sure Intel has had a process setback in recent years, overlapping in large part with Ryzen's arrival, but they're clearly on the path back. Intel's fab leadership plan is they will be leaders in 2025. Before that gets dismissed as "just talk" they have access to the near future tech like TSMC and others do, and they expect to roll that out first for production. If they achieve it to its full extent we'll have to wait and see of course. Until then, it is very much a catch up game on process. 

Architecture is tangential to process. They have not been stopping advancements there, even if not visible in consumer desktop of recent past generations. I'd like to test myself in a way that is more architecture focused than product focused, but it does seem generally Alder Lake is competitive against Zen 3 based on general reviews.

Intel is rolling out Arc GPUs early next year. If they do well, I actually feel they could even take 2nd spot away from AMD in the not too distant future. Not necessarily 1st generation. Are AMD even trying? I don't mean that RNDA2 is bad, just their volume seems to be lacking as ever. On Steam Hardware Survey no current gen GPU from AMD can even pass the 3090 in installed numbers. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think we have a contender for the most ridiculous poll on the forum.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

yea intel is going

going into my next build

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Wintel will find a way, they always do.

55 minutes ago, Jackgamer91 said:

With the rise of the Ryzen chips taking a large portion of the PC microconductor market share and Apple ditching Intel for M1, is Intel truly screwed and going the way of Blackberry? 

I've had a look at some of their 11th-gen mobile chips and they seem to be finally doing a bit better (on 10 nm) and they perform similar to the Ryzen 5000-series, but they still draw a lot of power and their desktop processors (11th gen at least) still leave a lot to be desired compared to the Ryzen offerings but we'll see with the 12th gen whether they are making progress like with their laptop lines. 

Bro, do you even prebuilt?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Get ready for 14nm+++++ Ultra Pro Max Plus running at 6GHz with a power draw of 980W :old-cool:

*the clock speed can be activated on one core

**the power draw is calculated for one core

Comeback? Intel has nothing to come back from. We as enthusiasts can get caught up in the "Ryzen has FPS and productivity advantage. Intel is DONE. GG WP." but that's rarely the case. Bulldozer didn't kill AMD, the slump in Intel competitivity is just an hiccup.

On the CPU side, AMD did an amazing job with Ryzen, Intel screwed up its transistor technology progression. The current supply limited environment prevented things from getting much worse from Intel. With their own fabs, they were able to keep supply up remarkably well.

And the current time of GPU market being supply limited presents the best opportunity for Intel to enter a new market altogether.

This is a poll made my someone who is a fan, not someone who actually understands business. Intel is an EXTREMELY strong company, their brand recognition is still substantially higher than AMD, they still DOMINATE the prebuilt space in desktop and laptop, they still DOMINATE the enterprise business, the only place they are losing ground is in the builder/enthusiast space which is most of us on here, but at the end of the day I have bad news for ya, we dont matter one little bit in the overall grand scheme of things. AMD will dissappear long before Intel ever came close to considering having a problem. With that said both companies are doing great right now and there is no concern for either of them

2 hours ago, Jackgamer91 said:

Mate, are you drunk or stoned as hell? Or both?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

yea intel is going

going into my next build

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg.d85ba3ba2370a3dad030ce3326a48fcb.jpg

2 hours ago, Jackgamer91 said:

No they aren't screwed, intel is still a big innovator in server infrastructure, plus there stocks arent falling so...

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

So, as the others have pointed out, Intel is still very much going to stay. They have a lot more than just CPUs, and they have a ton of cache (sorry, couldn't help myself). Even if x64 were to die, Intel does have an ARM (v6 I think) license and they have recently shown interest in RISC-V. ANd even then, Apple's success with their ARM µarch, while commendable, was still mostly possible due to certain factors that lined up neatly. So, no. I doubt INtel will be going anywhere (but up, maybe who knows)

There's also possible governmental aid should intel show signs of going away (I think that happened to AMD)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Its quite common for some to see these companies solely from the perspective of the niche product that they offer them specifically and not what they offer as a corporation. Intel is much larger and produces much more than desktop CPU's. 

Not to mention, they had a release a few weeks ago, maybe you weren't aware? Its currently top dog in the relatively small desktop CPU space.

Really not sure what this thread is trying to say.

55 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Bulldozer didn't kill AMD,

I agree with you mostly, but Bulldozer did kinda almost kill AMD. They were very close to bankruptcy before Dr. Su took over. It was more the fact they didn't release any new CPUs for ~5 years, so no one wanted to buy a ~5 year old chip new, but it's still technically Bulldozer's fault. 

Difference between Bulldozer AMD and modern Intel is that Intel actually has cash flow to be able to do a ton of R&D and make some high performance chips, and they still have a ton of other partners in the industry to help sell their chips when they need it. 

1 hour ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Bulldozer didn't kill AMD

Mmm, it very nearly did. AMD shares were literally going for $2 a share in 2015 and they were very close to bankruptcy.

elephants

Haha, the naive believe that the desktop market runs the main income for these companies. The fact is, desktop computing is a small fraction of R&D for either company. 

579448653_Screenshot_20211205-190857_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.edd759c49dbfcc28249194fbdf448f10.jpg

come back from the top?

well who knows but probably not considering 12th gen smokes 10th gen for breakfast even with how weird the chip is otherwise (biglittle)

i expect Intel to keep the gaming crown in the foreseeable future.  hopefully amd can get the "budget king" title back however.. 

~yours truly, userbenchmark...

Spoiler

(no really, intel = king, techjesus wouldn't lie to me...!)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yeah, I understand, 14nm++++++ sucks, especially in a quad CPU setup, is it just running ridiculously hot. But looks like for my lab it is still Intel everywhere.

Intel NIC is not that good either, especially the new E810 driver on Windows is just a joke - it will BSOD if you run SRIOV. Chelsio is far better, but, yeah E810 is still in my rig, together with XL710, X550 whatever...

All my NVMe SSDs are Intel - I knew VROC is still another joke, but somehow I let the joke exist.

And surprisely, I do have AMD! There is an AMD CPU inside my Arista switch, and I had to research hard enough to know it is an AMD.

Why? Intel, somehow was cheaper and more assessible, thanks to AMD. And Intel's RMA process never let me down.

So, the life will go on...