Micro$oft Winblows 11 has less than 0.21% adoption rates from compatible PCs, says Lansweeper

WhitetailAni
23 minutes ago, AudiTTFan said:

I just refuse to acknowledge Win11 even exists, out of sheer spite for whoever decided to remove the option to add taskbar labels back

Hey now, Notepad has multi-level undo, and dark mode.

NotepadDarkHero.png

All is forgiven.

On a serious note. While I don't know if the label option will come back. All I can say, is that the taskbar is new code, and hence why it lacks basic features. Insiders now have clock support on secondary monitor, and Start menu has some customization via new option to see more or less pinned apps. For 2 month of dev, with the holidays around the corner and many will be off until early next year, not bad... Now, of course, I am hoping that things will continue to progress. Apparently work is being done to bring drag & drop support

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Apparently work is being done to bring drag & drop support

About time they do that; if I actually wanted an OS without the drag and drop features we've had forever, I'd be typing this on a mid-1990s Compaq LTE5000 running MS-DOS lmao

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

On 12/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, Quackers101 said:

I mean, it is still in beta.

*and will always be in a beta stage*

Microsoft probably saw why people loved Windows 7, the parts they hated the most about Windows 10, and then decided to do absolutely nothing about the latter and reverse everything about the former

If it is so incomplete that basic functionality is still missing from the mainstream channel's version of the taskbar, why is the OS not in beta still?

Imagine if you went to pick up a new car and they told you that the passenger seats were not fitted because it was a new model. It wouldn't inspire confidence in the car manufacturer's ability to manufacture cars.

But in this case, Microsoft is doing the same kind of thing, while also doing the equivalent of breaking into the old cars to put stickers in them saying "switch to our new one, it's really good!" - and quite a number of people are just accepting it.

People came to these forums wanting help after they'd replaced the OS on their only desktop computer with the beta version - or, even worse, with the leaked version from months ago - and found it to be unusable, and the answer was simple - "don't install pre-release operating systems on your main computer". But there's nothing pre-release about it now, and seemingly very little has changed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

And I though everyone just used the keyboard shortcut for it as I did,  Ctrl, Shift, Esc. I guess not. 

I know about the shortcut, but just not used to it, as its not something I want to open every few minutes. Now I need to train myself to use it

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Wouldn't affect me that often, but that sound irritating.

It is. I frequently need to send files and documents through messaging apps and it is very irritating that I cant have that app minimized while I look into the folder where the file is. I have to make a conscious effort to have the windows side by side to do this now

6 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If it is so incomplete that basic functionality is still missing from the mainstream channel's version of the taskbar, why is the OS not in beta still?

Imagine if you went to pick up a new car and they told you that the passenger seats were not fitted because it was a new model. It wouldn't inspire confidence in the car manufacturer's ability to manufacture cars.

But in this case, Microsoft is doing the same kind of thing, while also doing the equivalent of breaking into the old cars to put stickers in them saying "switch to our new one, it's really good!" - and quite a number of people are just accepting it.

• Intel 12th gen CPU
  • Work from home - security concerns

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Work from home - security concerns

Microsoft can spin it all they want, but there's ZERO excuse for not including BitLocker in Windows 11 Home edition!

Every Apple product does disk level encryption (FileVault in OSX) with the recovery key backed up to the cloud account. Windows will do the same; the BitLocker key can be backed up to the cloud via your MS account too.

People would be shocked to learn how many laptops are stolen each year. Don't assume the criminal will just wipe the machine and throw it on e-bay. Nowadays, information is more valuable than the sum cost of hardware. All it takes is the right kind of seller and buyer (criminals)

9 hours ago, Mihle said:

And I though everyone just used the keyboard shortcut for it as I did,  Ctrl, Shift, Esc. I guess not. 

Same here. I have it pinned but that's only so it doesn't go to the end of my taskbar when I open it - Ctrl+Shift+Esc is so much easier.

elephants

22 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Microsoft probably saw why people loved Windows 7

Paraphrasing, but the one big thing for me that I loved over Vista was the removal of labels on the taskbar (and I was pretty happy with Vista, though I only used it on new machines and not via an XP upgrade). Taskbar labels didn't really annoy me until I saw Win7, at which point I switched immediately to shorten the distance between apps that also no longer move around.

I guess similar functionality on XP & Vista was included via quicklaunch part of the taskbar. Removing that and just pinning those apps made far more sense, especially when not having to move the mouse bigger distances to switch apps (as alt+tab switches based on last used, rather than having a consistent target to click on).

I found that having pinned apps to the right of one you want to open move to show a label just annoying, epsecially with browsers .now find it frustrating to use a computer with labels against open apps on the taskbar.

I get people may be annoyed by labels being removed but the default of removing labels happened 12 years ago. I find it wastes space and just moving pinned app targets to show a label (as is one of the options) just comes across as bad design. To me it's one of those changes that, for UI consistency between systems, I'm fully supportive of.

14 hours ago, StDragon said:

Microsoft can spin it all they want, but there's ZERO excuse for not including BitLocker in Windows 11 Home edition!

Every Apple product does disk level encryption (FileVault in OSX) with the recovery key backed up to the cloud account. Windows will do the same; the BitLocker key can be backed up to the cloud via your MS account too.

People would be shocked to learn how many laptops are stolen each year. Don't assume the criminal will just wipe the machine and throw it on e-bay. Nowadays, information is more valuable than the sum cost of hardware. All it takes is the right kind of seller and buyer (criminals)

That does surprise me and I agree - as you've said, bitlocker keys are automatically backed up to an MS account which has saved me some hassle with the old Win8 era Toshiba tablets I used to have, and my current Surface Go. That to me would make mandatory MS accounts for Home reasonable, just to ensure that a user has access to their bitlocker keys - but without bitlocker support on the Home edition, I agree that makes the change pointless.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

3 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

I get people may be annoyed by labels being removed but the default of removing labels happened 12 years ago. I find it wastes space and just moving pinned app targets to show a label (as is one of the options) just comes across as bad design. To me it's one of those changes that, for UI consistency between systems, I'm fully supportive of.

Some people have space, and I never understood how people could multitask efficiently with grouped buttons. 

Good luck navigating between that with win11 default. Ima group your 10 browser windows in one so you have to click once more, and you'd better visually recognise the contents if you don't want to have to cycle between half of them to find the one you actually wanted.

taskbar.thumb.png.882fb40adef55d19d4385f638a132d0d.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Some people have space, and I never understood how people could multitask efficiently with grouped buttons. 

Good luck navigating between that with win11 default. Ima group your 10 browser windows in one so you have to click once more, and you'd better visually recognise the contents if you don't want to have to cycle between half of them to find the one you actually wanted.

taskbar.thumb.png.882fb40adef55d19d4385f638a132d0d.png

I have never had that many browser windows upen at the same time, I have had max 2. Just use more tabs in one window. 

In general haven't had that many programs open at the same time really.

Also, I use alt tab alot.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

my 0.03$ worth (adjusted for inflation) on poor adoption rate

(1) no IE. Now you may think to yourself "good riddance" but you are not thinking about the long term effects. Gov't applications are slow to change, and MS spent years trying to make IE the default for all kinds of web interactions. As such, many critical programs were written to be IE-only. I know in my gov't position we have a ton. So no IE means none of those programs work, therefore no Win11 in the Agency. Reprogramming those applications isn't trivial either so for better or for worse, Win10 is it.

(2) AS discussed elsewhere, the stupid hardware requirements. Tho a funny thing about that, about 2 weeks ago, I downloaded the Win11 ISO directly from MS and installed on an ancient notebook. It did not complain one bit about not meeting the system requirements. And this laptop is a C2D. Make of that what you will.

(3) All the data MS gathered from the forced telemetry in Win10, has apparently not been used to improve anything. Which kid of renders MS's stated goals for said telemetry, pretty hypocritical.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

I have never had that many browser windows upen at the same time, I have had max 2. Just use more tabs in one window. 

In general haven't had that many programs open at the same time really.

Also, I use alt tab alot.

I'm not what you call a "master multi-tasker", but I've personally seen, literally hundreds of websites open between the different browser instances and their respective tabs. It's crazy. And for some people in corporate, it's not uncommon for people to have 2 to 3 monitors full of Word, Excel. PowerPoint, and PDF documents open in addition to browsers and Outlook. For these special people, 16GB of RAM isn't enough to keep them happy; which BTW is the bare minimum I would recommend nowadays anyways. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

(3) All the data MS gathered from the forced telemetry in Win10, has apparently not been used to improve anything. Which kid of renders MS's stated goals for said telemetry, pretty hypocritical.

Brutal! Simply brutal! Well said to a very valid point!

Just to reiterate, how is it that Windows 11 UI experience is so radical? In what way, if any of this metric data collected aided MS in the design? 

7 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Just to reiterate, how is it that Windows 11 UI experience is so radical? In what way, if any of this metric data collected aided MS in the design? 

I'm pretty sure telemetry WAS used and that's the whole problem because it shows many of the things people like us like/need is unused by 95% of Windows users and thus get booted to "we'll do that in a few years if we have time" status by all the "I can't find the start menu" or "what's all these buttons/controls/options, I'm lost" people...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

(1) no IE. Now you may think to yourself "good riddance" but you are not thinking about the long term effects. Gov't applications are slow to change, and MS spent years trying to make IE the default for all kinds of web interactions. As such, many critical programs were written to be IE-only. I know in my gov't position we have a ton. So no IE means none of those programs work, therefore no Win11 in the Agency. Reprogramming those applications isn't trivial either so for better or for worse, Win10 is it.

Edge has an IE compatibility mode, which allows IE optimited software to still run. Most of my work-stuff is running in edge through IE compatibility mode and it works just like it would in native IE.

image.png.4142cf6be04b5376244ca2a8b4fd411e.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, FakeKGB said:

Summary

Market research done by Lansweeper reports that less than 0.21% of the 10 million PCs it surveyed had upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, despite the upgrade being free. Additionally, more people are running outdated Windows such as 7, Vista, XP, etc. than 11. Windows 11 has been released for 3 months now.

Quotes

My thoughts

My mind has been blown. I thought at least they'd get 1% adoption!

Honestly though I'm not surprised. Windows 11, at best, is still in beta stage IMO - they released the OS with Snipping Tool broken somehow, their "File Explorer update for Windows 11" was a shell extension that can be disabled with a few commands, their Android support didn't release with the OS and has been delayed to 2022, the taskbar is centered without activation so you have to home in on the start button instead of just dragging to the side, etc.

Essentially it's Windows 8 all over again, where they made it nice for touchscreens but forgot a lot of people don't have touchscreens. Similar to Amazon's Kindle (non-Fire) update where they made the UI a lot like the app, but didn't realize most Kindles don't act like phone touchscreens?

Perhaps the "tick tock" method of Windows releases where it goes "good bad good bad good bad" (XP Vista 7 8/8.1 10 11)

I'm definitely getting comments "no you don't know what you're talking about", but that's why there's this handy little "IMO" marker stating it as an opinion.

I do find it interesting that there are more Windows 2000 and Vista users combined than Windows 11 users.

EDIT:
Here's my opinion on updating to Windows 11.

I'm not going to. Ever. Too many things I use have been removed or obfuscated (EdgeDeflector as an example).

The only reason I considered it was because of WSA, but people are already figuring out workarounds to installing WSA on W10 so that's no longer a roadblock.

To people who installed W11 and enjoy it, more power to you. I'm going to camp on W10 until they actually make a better OS.

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/289568/windows-11-a-flop-survey-claims-less-than-1-upgraded-microsoft-improves-start-menu

https://www.lansweeper.com/itam/is-your-business-ready-for-windows-11/

usually after a year, most of the bugs and kinks are worked out, and there's been lots of controversy, so it might speed up in a year or so, that's my thought

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

Just now, Alder Lake said:

usually after a year, most of the bugs and kinks are worked out, and there's been lots of controversy, so it might speed up in a year or so, that's my thought

I suppose we should look at the adoption rate of win10 after the same amount of time (and perhaps ditto on 8.1, 7, XP) to see if the percentage is good or not.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I suppose we should look at the adoption rate of win10 after the same amount of time (and perhaps ditto on 8.1, 7, XP) to see if the percentage is good or not.

EXACTLY

It's easy to be thrown off by simple numbers

if someone just says "Winblows 11 has less 0.21% adoption rates from compatible PCs, says Lansweeper" it's easy to just believe that that's outrageously low, but if windows 10 had only .15% at this point, that's a whole different story, it could also be that well over half the people using windows 10 are on government PCs, and are unable to upgrade, or are waiting for the one year mark

Edited by Kilrah
Politics removed

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Edge has an IE compatibility mode, which allows IE optimited software to still run. Most of my work-stuff is running in edge through IE compatibility mode and it works just like it would in native IE.

that is quite nice (which was their marketing for edge at the start too), the only good thing about some of their softwares. But makes me miss the days of what role IE had, compared to what edge is doing now. Access to the global internet, compared to a software that is designed to be pushed down ones throat until it's accepted and gets what it wants.

8 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

that is quite nice (which was their marketing for edge at the start too), the only good thing about some of their softwares. But makes me miss the days of what role IE had, compared to what edge is doing now. Access to the global internet, compared to a software that is designed to be pushed down ones throat until it's accepted and gets what it wants.

The recent changes really frustrate me. The current Edge has a lot of nice features other browsers only partly support. But stuff like integrating ZIP financing and trying to make users reset their privacy settings with the "restore defaults for the optimal experience" prompts are "features" i really don't understand.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Who even still uses any IE feature? I haven't touched any compatibility setting for like 15 years or how long there is Firefox...

On 12/5/2021 at 6:42 AM, RedRound2 said:

I have Windows 11 on my Zephyrus G15. I haven't had any major issues yet, but there are some very real bone headed issues with this OS

Pros:

- I like the UI design language better. But it is still inconsistent across elements just like Windows 8 and 10 (It's all rounded corners, except when it's not)

- I like the new system sounds

Cons:

- centered taskbar sucks. You can't just whip your mouse to the corner to hit the start menu. So I immediately changed it back to left side in about 15 min into Windows 11 (and I'm generally a person who likes and embraces UI changes)

- Right click is nerfed. I hate how I always have to click on show more option and then time travel back to Windows 10 UI design. Why is incorporating extra option in modern UI and a persistent setting to always show more options beats me

- Right clicking taskbar does not have the damn task manager anymore. Now I have the task manger pinned on my taskbar

- Connecting bluetooth device involves extra steps. The control center thing is pretty useless, and I have to open the settings and right click on the device to connect? Like why can't they have an option like how they show Wifi ??

- Win+A does not open notifications anymore

- The only new thing about multiple desktops was the ability to "put different wallpapers", but the icons would remain the same. Like what was even the point of this feature in the first place if the icons still remained the same as the original desktop

- I can't middle click Windows explorer to open in a new window (not sure if this was an issue in windows 10)

- Windows search still sucks ass. Half the time, it can't find VSCode even though its an app I open everyday. Calculator on search works like 20% of time

And the worst one: You can't bloody drag documents or images into another app without having that app shown somewhere on the desktop. Previously I could minimize the window, drag whatever onto the taskbar icon fo the app I wanted to maximize again and drag it into it. Now I legit have to spend time resizing the window to make sure it is still seen on desktop before I drag any file into it. It's honestly so bad that makes no sense

By the way i have been using Windows 11 since it came out and you can Right Click the Start Menu and it has Task Manager and some other stuff there aswell

Edited by RedBeardedJoe

1 minute ago, RedBeardedJoe said:

By the way i have been using Windows 11 since it came out and you can Rick Click the Start Menu and it has Task Manager and some other stuff there aswell

I've always simply had task manager pinned to my taskbar

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

I don't really miss IE. It was originally meant to help Microsoft crush Netscape and dictate the web's features. Proprietary rendering quirks, ActiveX and all that. Throw in security holes and it makes Edge look like sunshine and lolllipops.