My GPU is 1000ft away! (SPONSORED)

BellLMG

How far is too far? We're pushing optical Thunderbolt cables to their limit to see how far we could have a PC while still gaming and see what the impacts are.

Thanks to NZXT for sponsoring this video! Get your own custom made PC with NZXT BLD today at: https://nzxt.co/LTTBLD1121

*laughs at shipping distances*

My future GPU doesn't even exist yet 😛

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I can see so many uses for this in broadcast

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

GeForce Now! 

Get GPU later!

also much nicer text management in the video, not as blown out as the other videos. ty. Keeping some of the important details there at least.

Edited by Quackers101

I think you'll need more than just a fleet of scooters, especially if you're also going to be safely transporting stuff between labs. There was that infamous incident where they took out hard drives from one rack, placed them on a trolley that got rolled to a second building, put the drives back in and they were toast. Those guys learned that day how to handle bread, since bread can become toast 😜

Invest in a cargo ebike with fat tires and suspension. Something like a 26 inch trike with a carrying area large enough to fit a standard pallet and can carry at least 350 lbs. Heck, you could even hack together a quad trailer and pull it with a regular bike. Alex is good with welding - he'd be the one to make it happen, and there are a myriad of bike shops that could send you the parts.

Of course that's the boring way of doing it. The fun way is to just erect a humongous zip line between the two buildings 😎 Channel Super Fun video Linus???

39 minutes ago, poochyena said:

really not a fan of the new editing style

buuuut, RGB jacket!!!!

about the video, not sure if they knew what to do with it. but as for editing style not fully sure what you mean. too much back and forth or something?

5 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

buuuut, RGB jacket!!!!

about the video, not sure if they knew what to do with it. but as for editing style not fully sure what you mean. too much back and forth or something?

It started maybe 2 weeks ago? A lot more text jumping around the screen and jumping between two cameras in a dynamic shot. Its very distinctively a different editing stye to me.

5 hours ago, sub68 said:

I can see so many uses for this in broadcast

Usually one has a computer doing the graphics in one location, and then distribute it over either Ethernet or SDI.

So no real reason to put the GPU or other add in card hundreds of meters away, and for those cases one could potentially need such, then one can usually get a box with whatever IO one needs and an Ethernet port to send all the data over. And if more distance is needed than the typical 100 meters of Ethernet, then switches and fiber optics goes a long way.

But in the broadcast industry, one generally don't fiddle with fancier stuff than XLR, DMX, and SDI. (Though, digital audio and video protocols over Ethernet is also common as mud.)

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

really not a fan of the new editing style

I was about to comment that that intro would win the award for Most Editing. 🏆

10 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Usually one has a computer doing the graphics in one location, and then distribute it over either Ethernet or SDI.

Yeah normally.

I was thinking of something for schools

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The "50 meter" limit is likely due to PCIe timeout related reasons.

I have been poking about a bit in search of answers to how long the timeout period is, and the only answer I have fund is that it is 50µs. Some of that is likely eaten up by the package itself since sending bits over a serial link takes time. (And figuring out if the correct response has been received needs a fair few bits.)

Though, PCIe also shows it flaky nature in this video.
I don't know how many times I have tracked down a computer issue only for it to be something PCIe related. (or a broken memory module...) A bit sill that computers don't at times even want to boot just because some PCIe device is acting up, would be nice if the PCIe fabric could just ignore the misbehaving hardware instead of crashing... But at least one doesn't usually also throw on Plug and Play on top. (And yes, PCIe does support PnP if you have the right hardware and drivers and to a degree the correct OS.)

image.png

Linus: I'm actually pretty hopeful

PC: *BSOD*
David: Uh-huh

LOL! Perfect timing.

Colin's jacket of many colours was a nice touch.

There's a mistake at the start of the video (0:15) Linus says "50 meters, that's pretty far" then down the bottom of the screen pops up "984' for our freedom folks". 50 meters is 164 feet.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I am wondering whether that cable testing device that was used to test all those HDMI cables is equipped with a compatible interface to test this setup consisting of multiple cables and hubs. It would be interesting to see those measurement values evolve when adding hubs and cables.

I know it wouldn't have made for as good a video content as seeing Collin's jacket magically be RGB constantly (only highlight of the video really), but couldn't you have just kept the cable rolled up on the spools and just daisy chained in the workshop instead of risking the hardware in the rain or having to jump over barbed wire fences? Seems like some very very unnecessary risks were taken just to get a few extra shots that ultimately were meaningless and pointless in the end. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I know it wouldn't have made for as good a video content as seeing Collin's jacket magically be RGB constantly (only highlight of the video really), but couldn't you have just kept the cable rolled up on the spools and just daisy chained in the workshop instead of risking the hardware in the rain or having to jump over barbed wire fences? Seems like some very very unnecessary risks were taken just to get a few extra shots that ultimately were meaningless and pointless in the end. 

Well, that wouldn't make for a video now would it 😛

I suspect they tried it (or would hope) like that to see if it worked first but it's LTT so who knows.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Well, that wouldn't make for a video now would it 😛

I suspect they tried it (or would hope) like that to see if it worked first but it's LTT so who knows.

Collin did state he tested with 2 spools iirc, not 5 or 6 they had used in the video, so there was some minimal testing, but not the full run. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

43 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yes, they should have done a bench test of the whole thing. Ironed out the kinks and seen that it works.

Though, I do know that some people seeing a spool of cable at times thinks, "that spool isn't even close to as long as you say." Or that they suspect that it is some trick or something. So unrolling it all is at least "logical" from that point. But going over fences and such seems a bit silly.

But I can also see the writer team figure it is a fun video idea since they could then do a video "out in the field" while also showing their new addition to their office and generally fooling about. To a degree, a techy channel super fun video.

52 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I am wondering whether that cable testing device that was used to test all those HDMI cables is equipped with a compatible interface to test this setup consisting of multiple cables and hubs. It would be interesting to see those measurement values evolve when adding hubs and cables.

Considering how the optical cable works, the signal integrity would be fairly decent as long as one isn't attempting at pushing too high bandwidth.
Though, most cable testers can't really send data through a hub. Especially a complex one like a thunderbolt one. (Since cable testers usually don't run any protocol but rather send an arbitrary chain of "random" bits down the line. (Usually a standardized PRBS one as well.))

The tester might be able to test the active cable, but with hubs is most likely no.

But the hubs will decode the data, buffer and process it, before sending it out one of its other ports. In effect, the signal quality will be restored at each switch. And a lot of active cables builds on similar principals. There is even such devices for Ethernet extensions as well (effectively a two port switch).

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

There's a mistake at the start of the video (0:15) Linus says "50 meters, that's pretty far" then down the bottom of the screen pops up "984' for our freedom folks". 50 meters is 164 feet.

If it were inches, then it would be 24.99 meters, so I guess the editor made a small calculation mistake.

Did you guys run into any problems with the Razer Dock and the Corning cable? I recently made a post where I used the same Razer Dock and a 25m Corning cable. When I use the dock with a normal copper thunderbolt cable it works without any issues. When I use the Corning cable only my displays show up and my USB peripherals and ethernet wont work through the Razer dock.

They could have just left the cables be coiled and could have done this in a large room but I guess that wouldn’t be as exciting for a video lol

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3