LTT is About to Change

James
17 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Yes they do.... But they have only reviewed 80 speakers and a good number of them are last gen. They have also missed one of the larger brands of BT speakers being Altec Lansing. 

17 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

But i agree that another review source is always welcome. For anything.

Indeed, plus I also believe that LTT has the resources to document, review, compare, and contrast, the greater number of units out there providing a much more solid view of the landscape.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, GodOfROG said:

Grad Student here Masters in Cyber Sec - Linus I want to be a writer for you please. Ill work for free. Thanks!

Apply for jobs on the LTT site: https://linusmediagroup.com/jobs

The forum is the wrong place for that.

They're actually searching full-time writers right now, so if you bring the right skills to the table just apply.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 hours ago, JohnMansell said:

What I'm looking for is the same type of benchmarks they do for gaming to be applied to some Machine learning.

Eh, those are some really specific stuff that I doubt most viewers would understand/care about, but let me bring some answers to you:

15 hours ago, JohnMansell said:

So what effect does overclocking the GPU have on training a model?

Negligible. While for games 10% of extra perf may do a lot of difference, for ML it's irrelevant given you'll be shaving just a couple minutes over a many-hours run, stability is way more important.

18 hours ago, JohnMansell said:

What is the speed up of training various models with GPU X vs GPU Y?

Such benchmarks are already available on the internet:

Normalized GPU Performance Ampere

https://timdettmers.com/2020/09/07/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

nlp.png

https://lambdalabs.com/blog/nvidia-rtx-a6000-benchmarks/

What kind of performance increase is there in memory transfer if the data is stored on an NVMe drive vs ssd?

That really depends on your dataset. If it's scattered randomly (like a bunch of small images that you pick randomly), then a SSD will be way faster than an HDD. Otherwise, you won't feel much of a difference between going from an HDD to a SSD if you can manage to have your data in a proper sequential format (such as a tfrecord/pytorch dataloader).

As for an NVMe vs SSD, you won't notice any difference unless you're going for 4~8 GPUs or more.

What are the effects of different chipsets and the throughput of data transfered to the GPU for processing.

By chipset you mean the actual chipset on the mobo? Like b450 x b550 x x570? That doesn't make any difference.

If your question is more related to the PCIe gen/lanes, then it's barely noticeable:

GoogLeNet Bar

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/PCIe-X16-vs-X8-with-4-x-Titan-V-GPUs-for-Machine-Learning-1167/

What about water-cooling?

Only important when you have many GPUs stacked right next to each other, and even then you can jerry rig something :old-tongue:

Figure 5: 4x GPUs with PCIe extenders. It looks like a mess, but it is very effective for cooling. I used this rig for 2 years and cooling is excellent despite problematic RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition GPUs.

Otherwise, it makes no difference whatsoever.

It's basically all the same questions they do for gaming to really nail down what effects different components have on FPS, but I want to see what the effects are for training a model. Different types of models, different data sets, different size input images, etc.

While for games it's way more linear, for ML it really depends on what you're working with. A 3060 may be better than a 3080 simply because you have more vram and can't get your model trimmed down enough to fit within the 3080's 10gb. It also adds way more variables than you're used to see with gaming benchmarks.

NVidia is devoting so much research to their CUDA platform, and they're making these huge claims. I want to see if the claims can be substantiated, and if they're effected by the other components in the computer, etc. 

Yes, their claims for anything ML can be trusted; no, other components usually don't matter (as long as you have enough ram).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Hopefully, someone in Linus Media sees this...

I just saw this video and I am really excited about this news. Sadly, LTT is one of the few media outlets that I go to for tech news simply because so many others seem to be lacking in base competence. 

I have a humble request for the Linus Media Group as this goes forward: Please remember your working professional audience. I have been seeing more and more LTT content geared in this direction, and all I can ask is: can I have some more, please? 

I am a gamer, but during most of my waking hours I help manage a company that does a lot of video creation and small-scale publishing. We build all our editing workstations in-house. And, we build all of our storage and backup systems in-house too. Over the years, LTT content has been EXTREMELY helpful in guiding our purchasing decisions. And I would love to see more content relevant to A/V creation- from testing cameras, microphones, headphones and studio monitors, and PC hardware from the perspective of a professional using industry standard workflows and standard applications like the Adobe Suite.

I'm sure there are many other professions that would benefit from competent tech journalism. For example, IT (does anyone review networking equipment? Does anyone do comprehensive storage testing??), CAD/Engineering, animation, etc.

Anyways, thank you all for the good work you do. Don't take the haters or cynics too seriously- I think it's hard to overstate y'all's influence and earned trust in this space.

• 1 month later...

I might apply after I graduate high school, then after I get out of the military, then after I get out college. So maybe a good twelve years

Wii are coming for you

• 3 months later...

I've tuned into the last Wan Show and I can't help but think about a specific Dutch website when you talk about lttlabs.

They develop their own testing setups, do hardware reviews, have a 'pricewatch' system that lists hardware items from multiple websites and allow you to create a 'wishlist'. 

It also has a second hand listings page. (only tech savvy people use it so for me it's more reliable.)

Items that they have tested, can get a badge (sort of seal of approval) . So you know when browsing the pricewatch which product was reviewed with good results.

It is a free website but also has a premium membership that provides you with more in depth aricles.

Not trying to promote anythink but maybe you should take a look and mybe you can get more ideas 😉 

Hi, Owner of an incredibly small but growing channel here (Elliott Designs).

My channel is based around loudspeaker design, audio system calibration, acoustic principles and testing, etc. How would channels like mine be effected by this big move?

If LTT starts making this more detailed content, with as big as they are, are they removing traffic that would have gone to us smaller creators? Or something else, even the opposite perhaps?

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Elliott Dyson said:

My channel is based around loudspeaker design, audio system calibration, acoustic principles and testing, etc. How would channels like mine be effected by this big move?

If LTT starts making this more detailed content, with as big as they are, are they removing traffic that would have gone to us smaller creators? Or something else, even the opposite perhaps?

Thoughts?

This isn't a 0-sum game, different creators with similar content can co-exist and even share the same audience.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, Elliott Dyson said:

Thoughts?

My thought. If you are worried about LTT "removing" traffic from smaller creators.

UP YOUR F****** GAME!!!!!

Linus started out small too WAY back in the day.

The type of people who will only watch videos on a particular topic by the "biggest" channel in that space were never going to watch smaller channels anyway. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, FmPhenom said:

My thought. If you are worried about LTT "removing" traffic from smaller creators.

UP YOUR F****** GAME!!!!!

Linus started out small too WAY back in the day.

No need to be so rude. I wasn't saying that's what would happen, more asking what influence it may have if any. Just a harmless question that you clearly turned in your head into something negative. I've been watching LTT for many years, trust me, I'm a fan of what they do, but it's people like you that give bad rap to fan communities. Please try to be a bit nicer!

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

The type of people who will only watch videos on a particular topic by the "biggest" channel in that space were never going to watch smaller channels anyway. 

That makes sense, thank you!

3 hours ago, igormp said:

This isn't a 0-sum game, different creators with similar content can co-exist and even share the same audience.

Thank you. Makes total sense, no idea why I hadn't thought of that initially. That's why I asked the question. Cheers mate 👍

15 minutes ago, Elliott Dyson said:

No need to be so rude. I wasn't saying that's what would happen, more asking what influence it may have if any. Just a harmless question that you clearly turned in your head into something negative. I've been watching LTT for many years, trust me, I'm a fan of what they do, but it's people like you that give bad rap to fan communities. Please try to be a bit nicer!

I mean, he was rude in the way he communicated, but he has a point. Linus is going to keep looking for ways to provide better content to his audience and expand his viewership. You can't expect him not to or control that in any way. All you can do is keep improving your content and looking for ways to deliver something better than the competition, something unique your viewership gets by watching you that they don't get anywhere else.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I mean, he was rude in the way he communicated, but he has a point. Linus is going to keep looking for ways to provide better content to his audience and expand his viewership. You can't expect him not to or control that in any way. All you can do is keep improving your content and looking for ways to deliver something better than the competition, something unique your viewership gets by watching you that they don't get anywhere else.

No, you're totally right. I also hadn't thought about it in that way. Honestly, I'd be happy if LTT can provide more knowledge to the community about speaker/audio related stuff. I feel like it's not a very well represented community by the big tech channels. Thinking back at it, I did word my initial question very poorly, I should have just asked people's opinions on it outright rather than biasing it to a single point (in this case the assumption of moving people away from smaller channels, which come to think of it is a rather stupid conclusion). So thank you!

Linus has addressed it in last WAN show. As mentioned if you're actually serious about documenting yourself about something you'll always want to look at multiple sources/opinions anyway.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

some may be "taken" or the bigger platform overshadow some smaller creators. But sometimes it can if people are more interested in said content that they move to this video to yours. If it's made in such a way and which gather most of what the watcher wants. Like with for example jerryrigeverything has his own fun with phones and could often be tied with the interest of this new product and doing some testing that also can have some meaning or something to look into. Or just how one deliver said content, some prefer different methods.

To some seen by LTT fans that might go over to gamernexus for certain content, or other channels like that.

Edited by Quackers101

On 11/17/2021 at 1:03 PM, Caroline said:

inb4 all the "linux gibe job plox" posts

I use Linux on my laptop, ergo I deserve a job because one time I copy and pasted something into the terminal and it did things.

Not gonna lie, I have wondered from time to time if my 'generally good at problem solving, jack of all trades, knows something about everything' kind of general skill set would be useful somewhere like LMG or GN but I don't think I'll ever find out. I'm not willing to move that far away for a job with so many uncertainties but it's fun to wonder about. I see a lot of the hands on practical things they're doing and I don't know if they're buffooning it up for views/comedy or if they're really just that....bad at what they're doing. Like the car radiator water cooling video, I could have had the radiator connected to the PC cooling loop in about 30 minutes with about $25 in materials from about any hardware store and maybe one part from an auto parts store without a bunch of leaks. I see a lot of things they do like this and really wonder if it's bad for views or what because they seem like they have some smart people there but then they just kind of like drunk half ass things and....what?

23 hours ago, Elliott Dyson said:

Not being rude, Just telling you what you didn't want, but needed to hear. You think small you will stay small. You think linus questioned if the other creators are gonna take anything away from what he was trying to do even when he was doing videos for ncix ( I think thats what it was called). No. He was trying to figure out what he could do BETTER. As you should too. 

That is why in a short amount of time he went from being employed to a EMPLOYER. People like you look at LTT , Jayz 2cents, That long haired hippy at gamerz nexus, pewdiepie , the logan bros and countless others and wanna be them. Aim higher and have others wanna be Elliot Dyson. (well a better version, not this sensitive mess I am quoting ATM)

S**t or get off the pot. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 9:18 PM, FmPhenom said:

Not being rude, Just telling you what you didn't want, but needed to hear. You think small you will stay small. You think linus questioned if the other creators are gonna take anything away from what he was trying to do even when he was doing videos for ncix ( I think thats what it was called). No. He was trying to figure out what he could do BETTER. As you should too. 

That is why in a short amount of time he went from being employed to a EMPLOYER. People like you look at LTT , Jayz 2cents, That long haired hippy at gamerz nexus, pewdiepie , the logan bros and countless others and wanna be them. Aim higher and have others wanna be Elliot Dyson. (well a better version, not this sensitive mess I am quoting ATM)

S**t or get off the pot. 

I know it's an old post mate. Just wanted to say I simply didn't understand how it works, and wasn't a "sensitive mess", but yeah, hopefully I will get to that point where people look up to what I do, it's time and effort, I understand that much. The thought process was seemingly ignorant, I understand that, but it was simply just misinformed. An episode not too long ago of WAN show helped sink it in for me, the more people making content around the same stuff, the more it makes everyone want to improve and better further. It's like with industry where intel stagnated due to the lack of competition, AMD became competitive again, and progress within the industry sped back up. That's the way I see it now anyways.