LTT is About to Change

James

Very excited to see where this goes! Hopefully LMG can manage to stay independent.with community support

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I have contacts in the solar Industry that could supply your building with solar, potentially a new roof packaged in, as well as retrofits to any existing Hvac units to lower your demand charges. The numbers on your specific buildings have to be run through the estimation software, but you would potentially pay less per kWh than you currently do from the utilities. There is usually minimal to no upfront cost and the ROI is like 5 years on average. I’m being totally serious but I don’t know if anyone will read this. 

I could throw out a few ideas myself, but perhaps the biggest one might be to set up a 2nd office south of that 49th parallel??? Say Seattle?

Travel to Canada is tricky even if you can drive there from the US. Work permits, exemptions, eligibility and costs are all up in the air, yet wouldn't matter for those who are already in the US and can work in the US, never mind do their own taxes. That's not even mentioning the current crisis when borders close and lock downs prevent you from getting home 😠

It would obviously be a major investment to set up shop and establish a US based location, but I would think businesses would have the incentive given that they are providing jobs and establishing a tax base. As it is I am stuck in the US at the moment and cannot travel even to visit family because of closed borders. Yet I could very easily work in any US location since I am free to move here with very little restriction.

I understand LMG has tried hiring remote workers in the past and that has failed for whatever reason. While I CAN work from home, my focus would certainly be better doing the same from an actual office where I can also interact with other people, share ideas easier and even get help from others or work on team projects. Having worked from home for well over 10 years now, I actually miss being in an office environment.

Good luck with the expansion and new hires.

Dude I literally cannot contain my excitement for this -- I've been following tech and LTT since piledriver / ivy bridge days. Since then, I've gotten a degree in EECS and Math, have experience in machine vision, ML/AI, robotics, embedded systems / linux, transistor design, and so much more. I would drop my current job and move to Canada in a heartbeat if i can work at LTT and investigate inherently interesting tech problems

This is a signature.

I commented on youtube already but I wanted there to be a higher chance of this being seen by the LTT staff and to get Linus' and other people's opinions:

Open source (even if it's explicitly licensed to LTT still) some software projects. You have an absolute army of followers that have some skills in this realm that would love to contribute to the continued success of LTT (myself included). This has a number of benefits to it that opens the door to many that couldn't apply because of prior commitments (unfortunately I'm here), pay cuts, the competitive nature of the positions, etc. and also opens the possibility for those who can't contribute financially to spend their time instead.

One of your lab positions (or two) could even be dedicated to managing the OSS projects and keeping the priorities / tasks dolled out to the community in line (approving PRs, assigning tickets, recruiting talent from OSS community, tracking bugs, etc).

Project ideas:

- As you mentioned, automation of benchmark tests

- Minecraft plugins/mods for our server 🙂 (can be fun too)

- Floatplane contributions (OK, maybe don't open source this one...? Might be better to start with new stuff)

- Custom productivity tools for your writers, designers, etc

- Literally anything software you need for video production

- Adobe plugins

- Visualizations & other data science projects

And each of these projects could potentially generate video content for status/announcements/releases etc.

Please seriously consider this as a focus for the lab, I'm excited just thinking about it - even if I can only contribute occasionally.

Ops // I have to warn you guys!

You have just received possibly the strangest application possible.  Have a pleasant reading experience.

Best regards,
Mohsen Abbasi El Domo
The new Product Design Agency located in Quito Ecuador based on over 16 years of International experience, supporting clients from all over the world and doing research in many areas together with research instutions.

by Mohsen Abbasi, Product Designer and Researcher

Good luck with this endeavor, maybe it can make a notable dent in the tech news industry.

I probably won't care too much about it since just about everything LMG showed off in their videos has either not been in my field of interest, not available in my region, or just flat out too pricy. So, unfortunately,it won't make much of a difference  if the numbers and the reports will be (more) accurate and thourough from some point on. And there have been other sources if I ever needed that. The basic rule still applies that only interesting stuff will get tested, or else it's just wasted money.

NGL this actually sounds amazing, and look forward to see what comes of it.

7 hours ago, CCWong said:

Not posting salary ranges for your open positions is a red flag.

Totally... At least 1 person drives a BMW, 1 person drives a Tesla Model X that costs 120K here... He's totally going to pay someone with 10+ years of experience minimum wage...

/s

Don't go based on what Linus Tarren or Dennis do or display, some people simply like an easy/cheap life style.

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

but they have high production quality.

With armature wobbly cam? Till they fix that, they don't have high production quality, editing etc is all there (99% of the time), they just need to fix that one aspect to reach that goal.

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Doubtful, in the past it's been on the worker to obtain a work visa in Canada, so would assume that still applies here.  

I recall one person they hired from the states where they needed to prove they couldn't find anyone here that fits the bill or something like that. It was years ago and on WAN I think. However as long as LTT is willing to pay/assist in relocation costs for someone in Toronto/such areas out here I don't think looking outside of Canada should be needed.

However 99% of the time the worker does need to obtain the work visa, it's easier when you have a job waiting for you in Canada, and basically a pass (if done right) with the companies help lol.

3 hours ago, Mood said:

For a non-Canadian does "currently legally eligible to work in Canada" mean you already have a work visa or you meet the requirments to get one if needed?

Yes.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

So they gunning for like an rtings.com approach eh. Interesting. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I recall one person they hired from the states where they needed to prove they couldn't find anyone here that fits the bill or something like that. It was years ago and on WAN I think. However as long as LTT is willing to pay/assist in relocation costs for someone in Toronto/such areas out here I don't think looking outside of Canada should be needed.

However 99% of the time the worker does need to obtain the work visa, it's easier when you have a job waiting for you in Canada, and basically a pass (if done right) with the companies help lol.

I think this was actually for Dennis. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

This whole thing sounds awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. 

As per topic.
Currently, LTTs reviews are kinda silly. Headphones.com and Crinacle have been leading the way here... but it would be great to see LTT step up to the plate and start actually measuring the headsets and TWS devices people are actually buying (instead of just obscure audiophile equipment).

@my2dumbledoresI have merged your request into the LTT Change video. This type of testing was actually mentioned in this video that they want to do and accomplish with the new space potentially, so it's definitely on their radar. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

He wants to know what we want to see more of in his latest video he said. If Linus is reading this I want to see more Budget PC’s. Also what do you guys think about the latest video? Also Tech thingy can a Core 2 Extreme with a GT 9600m run a mc server?

I'm Just some kid who likes Computer's and Programming.

@RandomChild I have merged your thread surrounding the discussion of the latest video into the official thread for it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Very bold ambition from Linus, I appreciate the effort to build up a tech journalists investigative team 🙂

Best of luck!

Already I rely on youtube reviews for most of the tech consumer stuffs I buy. E.g. I bought my monitor following recommendations from Hardware Unboxed (I'm very happy with it) and I saw my noise cancelling headset first on the funny LTT video where they tried it (I did further research to buy mine because it was not very 'scientific'). I'll look my next case following recommendations from Gamer Nexus (I didn't know GN before I built my lastest PC and picked a cheap random no-airflow case). For more mainstream stuffs like CPUs and GPUs, I watch pretty much all the videos and read all the charts before making a decision. LTT HDMI cable testing was really interesting. For phones, the one I choose didn't have that many reviews, I had to look really hard to find a fit. (I landed on the huge Doogee S88 with one week of battery life and stock android which is the first phone I'm happy with).

I look forward to reading LTT white papers about tech commodity stuffs I wish to buy. IMO this is a welcome evolution of LMG to provide consumer with information.

Love this! 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Not sure how to feel about this.

1) I think it's good that LTT will hire people that actually know what they are talking about. Hopefully that will reduce the copious amounts of misinformation their videos contain, because that has been a massive problem that I don't think most of their viewers realize.

2) I don't think a lot of the content they want to make is suitable in video forms. I don't want to look through some 10+ minute video just to see thermals for some product, and then hope that they compared it to the product I want to compare it to. I want to build a graph myself using the data they collected. A video just don't allow for that.

3) I don't like the "of course we will DIY it". Linus, just stop. I don't get why he is so obsessed with DIY:ing things. It was the same with their server stuff. They clearly have no idea what they are doing and which pitfalls to avoid. As a result, they run into a bunch of issues. If you're going to get a chamber for testing acoustics and thermals, wouldn't it be a good idea to actually have someone who knows what they are doing build it for you? Otherwise you might end up in a scenario where you have hidden issues and your data is inaccurate. 

4) LTT has already, in my mind, completely tainted their reputation by doing lots of shady business practices so I won't (and I hope others don't) trust them.

5) I am not sure the LTT audience, who mostly seem to be 15 year old boys who laugh at hearing "lttstore.com" or seeing Linus drop something for the 10 billionth time, are interested in detailed information. It seems like most of the LTT audience just want to know how many FPS in <insert FOTM game here> a certain component gives them.

I hope I am wrong and everything turns out great, with accurate and unbiased reports, but I don't have much confidence in Linus and how cowboy approach to things.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

2) I don't think a lot of the content they want to make is suitable in video forms. I don't want to look through some 10+ minute video just to see thermals for some product, and then hope that they compared it to the product I want to compare it to. I want to build a graph myself using the data they collected. A video just don't allow for that.

I don't know about your other points, but about this one Linus already said in the video (can't remember which minute) that the stuff from the lab will be more of a material in written form aka "white paper stuff" and less of him fooling around in front of a camera. So they expect for it to be less suitable in video form.

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Totally... At least 1 person drives a BMW, 1 person drives a Tesla Model X that costs 120K here... He's totally going to pay someone with 10+ years of experience minimum wage...

/s

Don't go based on what Linus Tarren or Dennis do or display, some people simply like an easy/cheap life style.

Your point about people driving expensive cars must == they have a high salary is not really correct given financing exists and there are plenty of people driving expensive cars they could never afford out right.

Put it this way, Linus said he wants industry professionals and I'm a software engineer with 15 years experience. Looking at the job specs and having no salary range means hard pass for me or anyone else with similar or more experience. There are soooooo many software engineering jobs, data scientist jobs etc out there that we don't have time to look at every job that gets sent our way, so no salary range is one of the ways we filter out jobs sent to us. The market is on the side of the job seeker and no salary range on top of the minimal detail in the job spec too means they're going to be at a disadvantage in finding industry professionals.

I'm not saying they should advertise salary range, that's their call, but I'm just saying what myself and my peers will tend to do when there is no salary advertised.

9 hours ago, JohnMansell said:

I would absolutely LOVE it if in this new lab you included some level of machine learning benchmarks

I don't think you need a lab for the most uses of ML

30 minutes ago, yippeedoodah82 said:

Looking at the job specs and having no salary range means hard pass for me or anyone else with similar or more experience. There are soooooo many software engineering jobs, data scientist jobs etc out there that we don't have time to look at every job that gets sent our way, so no salary range is one of the ways we filter out jobs sent to us

It's obvious they're not after hiring someone who is looking for any job wherever it is that pays enough, they're looking for people who want to work at LTT specifically before anything else, in which case the initial contact is made and they'd try to make it work if the "current flows" so that both sides are happy. It's... their way to filter applications. If you're not going to contact them because you don't see a salary range posted then you don't have enough desire to work for them in the first place.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I do not know Canadian culture regarding job offerings, but you see no job offer in Switzerland with a salary range attached. Because engineers are scarce, companies and engineers usually know the salary range.  
Some job offers describe everything people already do in the whole engineering department, and if you can check SOME boxes, you’re hired for what you bring to the table.

Working at LMG is probably MUCH different than in the manufacturing industry. You will face various projects, you are basically at the forefront of technology, and you will probably not have to deal with the 20-year-old code some guy wrote who is no longer in the company.