LTT is About to Change

James

All good stuff.

For me, the Display reviewing is what i'm most interested in seeing, i've been 'complaining/mocking' giving feedback 😛 about your display 'reviewers' lacking detail for years, so glad to see your diving into it more deeply.

Alas im no 'industry expert' nor do i have have the experience doing the kind of things u'll be doing necessary for such a position..i also live in Scotland so needless to say i wont be applying lol.

Still, this all looks great, i wish you luck !

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

More then happy to toss my experience into the ring. Need someone with legal experience at a major semiconductor corp and hard CS and security experience in data centers?

(can't see the lab job links at https://linusmediagroup.com/jobs/ )

2 minutes ago, Tommy17 said:

Hi, how can i apply? there wasn't any links in the description of the youtube video

You can apply here: https://linusmediagroup.com/jobs

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Would LTT be interested in testing of mobile devices from a modem aspect? LTE/5G test base stations and the such to test device capabilities? Possibly vDSL/DOCIS consumer modem testing?

4 minutes ago, r821e228 said:

Maybe a bit of an overkill but ShortCircuit reviews weren't as fun or professional as I would have personally liked, so hopefully that changes?

I mean its called ShortCircuit for a reason...

@LinusTech this is legit amazing, best of luck!  Would have never dreamed the random dude I binge watched in college would be in a position to do something as legit crazy at this!

Displays are absolutely what are a PIA to navigate and I hope you really do focus on them.   Even if you know the popular ones, when a random store has what looks like a good deal its almost impossible to find out info based on that model number.  Which SSDs and RAMs are cheaping out are another area where the marketing has taking over specs and its very hard to know what you're getting.

If I lived in can-a-derp I'd give this more than a passing consideration. My personal love would be in testing enterprise equipment (Fiber Channel storage arrays, fiber channel and IP switches, disk packs from big vendors like Dell and Western Digital vs DIY solutions like 45 drives and backblaze). But I'm a US citizen who is never going to move across the border.

And, yes, I am qualified to test all of that stuff. I did it as my day job for about 5 years and loved it. My main focus back then was finding bugs. And boy did I find some good ones.

2 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

If I lived in can-a-derp I'd give this more than a passing consideration. My personal love would be in testing enterprise equipment (Fiber Channel storage arrays, fiber channel and IP switches, disk packs from big vendors like Dell and Western Digital vs DIY solutions like 45 drives and backblaze). But I'm a US citizen who is never going to move across the border.

And, yes, I am qualified to test all of that stuff. I did it as my day job for about 5 years and loved it. My main focus back then was finding bugs. And boy did I find some good ones.

Yup, network solution engineer here myself for a big company. As much as I love what I do I also know it's stupid expensive to get the good stuff AND I wouldn't (at least as of the time of writing this) move across the border myself either. A spirent or ixia chassis populated with a couple 10g and/or 100g linecards for testing can easily reach into the high tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars alone.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Man, if I wasn't on the east coast and I had more (read: any) firmware or software engineering experience, I'd be all over that engineer position. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer and CNC programmer in a job shop. The custom build videos are my FAVORITE.

16 minutes ago, r821e228 said:

Maybe a bit of an overkill but ShortCircuit reviews weren't as fun or professional as I would have personally liked, so hopefully that changes?

the whole point of short circut is that its not a review, but a showcase/unboxing, and if the products are interesting or good enough, they may get a main channel review

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yup, network solution engineer here myself for a big company. As much as I love what I do I also know it's stupid expensive to get the good stuff AND I wouldn't (at least as of the time of writing this) move across the border myself either. A spirent or ixia chassis populated with a couple 10g and/or 100g linecards for testing can easily reach into the high tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars alone.

Imagine if Linus took a page out of Akamai/Google/Facebook/Amazon's playbook and starting OEMing LTT branded 10G Ethernet switches? 4 years ago Akamai was ordering semi-truck fulls of 48-port 10G (+8 100g uplinks) switches for ~$6500 each. They had to have their own firmware engineers to make that work, but that's a huge part of why Akamai's network is so stable, same for AWS. LTT could make a killing undercutting Cisco and others by 1/2 or more for the customers who only need a few basic features (tagging and native vlans, ZDT firmware upgrades, etc). How many options exist in a Cisco nexus firmware that literally never get used, but are still attack and bug surfaces? This is why these companies OEMed their own servers and switches. Now being an integration tester for that would be super hella fun. But...again, not enough to live in Canada for.

I watched LTT since when you guys were operating from the Langley house and I couldn't have imagined how far LMG has grown and become today. It feels like each time LMG expands, Linus would still have an even bigger ambition to strive for more. I'm happy for the team and I'm really looking forward to all future contents that we'll get from the new space.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Its great seeing you guys grow. There are few things that might worth checking into.

- A cimate control room where one can simulate different parts of the world (different temps, humidity, even wind as they might have dust etc that block filters in due time u can run years worth of testing over a few days)

- A custom device that can test the flex of the keyboard and laptop chassis. Which can be done not that hard

-Durablity test like drop test, water and dust proof test

These are just few ideas and I am sure there are few more.

Long time Network/Systems Administrator and security enthusiast.  I'd love to be in charge of maintenance, backups, training, and security practices in the office.  But it seems they aren't currently looking.  I'll be back periodically to check.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

Cool beans.

Personally, I'd like to see some standarized tests evaluating OLED panel burn-in, maybe something like Allyn Malventano's great storage benchmarks and the idea of evaluating whether a motherboard's VRM desgin leaves performance on the table sounded really intriguing.

Wow, Im supprised

LTTs actually putting in a lot of work to become a GN style reviewer and actually have the best possible data.

2 minutes ago, IanCutress said:

Howdy. What's all this then?

WDYM?

this is ltt talking about making a new lab to have better reviews

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

First of all, huge fan, love the content and first time actually posting on this forum! I'm a 22 y/o QA software tester from México, I did apply to the form on the link in the video description, but I'm still wondering if you are willing to hire people from different countries, or is it more like a local hiring situation?

Just saw the video about LTT labs and all the things LTT is doing to up the tech journalism, and love the fact that LTT is investing so much in it.

I and I guess a lot of people like me would love to support LTT in it, but may not be able to do it because of financial reasons, but we may be able to help in other ways such as contributing to some of the projects like automated testing/benchmarking scripts or other similar things, if they are made open source.
I don't have an exact idea of how this can work or if this is even viable, but i guess that's the beauty of Open Source, someone who's smarter and may have a better idea of what needs to be done.

Is there any possibility of something like this actually happening?

13 minutes ago, Marcelo Blanco said:

First of all, huge fan, love the content and first time actually posting on this forum! I'm a 22 y/o QA software tester from México, I did apply to the form on the link in the video description, but I'm still wondering if you are willing to hire people from different countries, or is it more like a local hiring situation?

LMG is open to any and all who have the history/experience they're looking for and can relocate. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I work as an electronics engineer in heavy duty off road .  My company has 100's of thermal chambers, and I can off the record explain what we use and why.  Most of these chambers run 24-7.  You probably don't need someone who's base is centered mostly around ruggedizing electronics, but definitely can answer any questions on the side. 

How difficult is it to relocate from the US to BC and get approval to work? Is remote work from the US an option for any of the positions? Would you need approval in that case? It looks like some are BC only but others don’t specify a location. Edit: they now have BC listed on all the positions (I think it was missing from the floatplane ones initially)

I think I’d be a pretty good fit for the engineering positions. I’ve got a bachelors and masters in Electrical and Computer engineering, focused primarily on C/C++ and more recently Python. I’ve also done PCB design, manufacturing, assembly (soldering) and associated software. I’m basically a tinkerer. I’ve also been building computers since I was about 10.

Edited by FriedEngineer
Postings updated.

I have a few opinions:

1) I would love to see you developing an easily searchable repository.
    Maybe something PC-Part-picker style, but with actual data to back recommend (or un-recommend) some choices.
2) I would love to see you cooperate with GN (and other credible, data-focused outlets).
   2b) No, you do not need a fan tester. Use GN Data. Allow GN use of some of your data.