10 Tips for Windows Power Users

CPotter

God that intro segment screams I made this in 10 minutes with MS paint

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Step 1: Format C:

Step 2: Install anything else.

Step 3: Enjoy.

Step 4: There is no step 4.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I can't believe they talked about tools but didn't mention  Ear Trumpet

what does it do ? well this 

image.png.7cfffd5422d0c4711dba646fc846fa9f.png

also Everything for search

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, AkIonSight said:

Tips:

1. Install Linux

Hey, what happened to my notepad, my precious notepad /s

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Ok sorry Tip #6 (Search + Win 10) was lame. I agree with the rant, but no mention of solutions??

Solutions:

1. PowerToys has a spotlight type search that lots of people should like.
  2. Everything is an AMAZINGLY powerful fast searcher.  I honestly just name files with keywords I might search.  I use a keyboard shortcut to bring up Everything and 2 keywords in I have what I'm looking for.  You can filter by type, add an extension, enable regex, and include the file path in your search.  So if I have lttbananabushel2020.pdf in my receipts folder, I can just type receipt ltt .pdf and I'll find it in 2 seconds.

I always find it amusing when Linus or anyone on his team complains about Windows 10 search but somehow they don't know how to edit the search indexing settings. By default almost nothing gets indexed. I don't remember how the index on my machine looked initially, but this screenshot seems about right:

ajxo9b6EYk654XK8g7c2Ud-970-80.png

If you actually enable search indexing for all your drives here it suddenly becomes pretty good. Yes, it's stupid that Microsoft decided to not index the entire system by default, but at this point, there's no excuse for even a modestly tech savvy person trying to give tech tips to not know that you can change the behavior.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

1 minute ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

but at this point, there's no excuse for even a modestly tech savvy person to not know that you can change the behavior.

The point you're overlooking is that should not be required. Period. Hence the justified complaining. 

10 minutes ago, r821e228 said:

vegetarians

Do you know how to spot the vegetarian/vegan at the party?

Oh, don't worry, they'll tell you.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, rickeo said:

The point you're overlooking is that should not be required. Period. Hence the justified complaining. 

Pretty sure I'm not overlooking it, since I wrote the following just prior to what you quoted:

6 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Yes, it's stupid that Microsoft decided to not index the entire system by default

And endlessly complaining about Windows 10's search function is not useful when you could instead use the time and offer a fix for it. You know, in a tech tip video that's intended to help users get more out of their system. Just a thought.

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Pretty sure I'm not overlooking it, since I wrote the following just prior to what you quoted:

And endlessly complaining about Windows 10's search function is not useful when you could instead use the time and offer a fix for it. You know, in a tech tip video that's intended to help users get more out of their system. Just a thought.

totally agree with this, literally on the video windows explorer appeared on 4th line on the video and they just ignore it? power user will literally kill the internet search on windows search to begin with as i do on my win10 which fixed the issue to begin with.

and you know that DDG and google can help you instantly with this right Linus? you know that you can also open explorer simply by win+e, and you have to take the harder way using windows search just to complain about it?

in addition, afaik most power user know where they set their download folder for installer and everything, and its literally easier to find them from your download history on the web browser you are using - if you want to find them to begin with,

its like you know, they are just trying to justify how good win11 without telling people about a better solution for win10 woe. is it even considered a tips? more like "complain more" vid

at this point i doubt the one who reviewed this video script before finalizing it is a power user themselves.

Edited by faketruth
added last line

#2.2

Virtual desktops have one more trick up their sleeve. If a fullscreen application crashes it's sometimes impossible to open the task manager because it will always be in the background and the crashed application doesn't lose focus. A second virtual desktop might come in handy to get to the task manager without hard-resetting the entire computer.

Thanks a lot for this video. It had a lot of useful tips that I will use in the future.

2 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I always find it amusing when Linus or anyone on his team complains about Windows 10 search but somehow they don't know how to edit the search indexing settings. By default almost nothing gets indexed. I don't remember how the index on my machine looked initially, but this screenshot seems about right:

ajxo9b6EYk654XK8g7c2Ud-970-80.png

If you actually enable search indexing for all your drives here it suddenly becomes pretty good. Yes, it's stupid that Microsoft decided to not index the entire system by default, but at this point, there's no excuse for even a modestly tech savvy person trying to give tech tips to not know that you can change the behavior.

I find this as one the Windows 'fixes' that works for a bit then stops working.  I still find it supremely terrible.

Again, PLEASE just get Everything or PowerToys Run.

14 hours ago, swimtome said:

I find this as one the Windows 'fixes' that works for a bit then stops working.  I still find it supremely terrible.

Again, PLEASE just get Everything or PowerToys Run.

I already have both, no need to implore anyone. And while Everything is pretty great, I've actually had instances where PowerToys Run didn't find something that Windows Search with proper indexing had no trouble finding.

My point here isn't to tell people to use Windows 10 search. My point is that I can't stand it when people endlessly complain about something without trying to find a solution for their problem. Because after a while it just seems to me that if someone constantly complains even though solutions are available, it's less about the problem and more that the person complaining likes to complain for no reason. And I have little patience for that. I like to solve problems, not eternally dance around them. That's why that part of the video rubbed me the wrong way. Heck, the video makes nary a mention of either Everything or PowerToys Run at all, Linus just bitches about Windows 10 Search, so what was the point of that entire tangent? Yeah, Windows 10 Search without indexing sucks, as any search function without an index would. Teach people how to configure it properly. That's what the video is for, after all.

16 hours ago, r821e228 said:

By any chance, does indexing (specially HDDs) suck up resources? Last time I wanted to index a couple of HDDs it was taking a worrying amount of time so I stopped it lol

While it's indexing, it'll obviously go through all the files you have on your drives and/or the folders you've selected for indexing. Once the index is complete, it'll take up quite some space. In my case, I have a total of around 10 TB of storage in my machine of which 4 TB are occupied. I've indexed all of the drives and it reports around a million indexed items. The index itself is 8 GB in size. If size is a constraint for you, use the aforementioned Everything, it indexed everything (hence the name) and its database reports 1.8 million items and is 75 MB in size.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

windows sounds

Me: image.png.ae5eee9e43571e792aaa1233f7faee04.png

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

No offense Linus, but I already knew most of that stuff....

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

Linus is not a Windows PRO. he forgot to mention the  GODMODE shortcut for the control panel

Step 1

Make a folder

Step 2

name the folder

.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Step 3

open the created shortcut

Step 4

You now have a easy to access control panel shortcut with all items visible 

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝