macOS Monterey USB issues...

EphraimK

If you're holding off upgrading to macOS Monterey, keep holding.

Many users (myself included) have had USB hub and device issues. You can't connect iPhones, iPads, and other devices over USB. For me, I could not connect my iPad to my Mac to use a jailbreak tool*. 

Apple may be working on fixing this in the next cumulative update to macOS Monterey, but it's not looking hopeful. Power does flow through the ports and some devices (USB drives) may work, though I used the official Apple dongle, third-party dongles may not be compatible.

*Xcode however did detect the device, though Finder will not.

I found restarting the Mac in question with your device connected will allow the device to connect, but may immediately not allow a data connection, nor refresh when you disconnect your device.

Many of the reports are from owners of M1-powered Macs, but not all. Some users have reported similar issues on Intel Macs. Based on user discussions, USB issues were reported in early beta versions of Monterey, suggesting this could be due to a legacy bug that Apple has still not patched.

As MacRumors says above ^^ these issues have been noted during the beta, though they didn't for me until 12.0.1

A workaround is to downgrade back to Big Sur (if you simply can't wait until it is fixed).

Is it just me, or are there more issues with the release of Monterey than the beta? Let me know in the comments.

Sources

MacRumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/29/monterey-usb-hub-issues-reported/

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

1 hour ago, EDK Tech said:

You can't connect iPhones, iPads, and other devices over USB.

I literally just did that yesterday on Monterey
Worked onFinder too
Wait, this is solely for M1 devices? If so, then the title is  a bit disengenous

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Worked onFinder too
Wait, this is solely for M1 devices? If so, then the title is  a bit disengenous

No I have the last Intel MacBook Pro (2020) and I have had these issues like crazy!

6 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Worked onFinder too

Apple and Intel processors use different drivers,

So if it's a driver issue on M1 macs then it won't affect Intel based systems.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Recently updated to a M1 Max MBP, with a 4 USB3.0 Targus dongle, is working with no issues with an iPhone 11, a Motorola One Action an charging a vape pen lol. Both phones are working great for coding with react native and running Flipper for debugging, so both are transmitting data with no problems via USB

Hmmm glad I have not had any issues myself. 

Both USB hubs work. One conected to one of the USB-A ports and one in the monitor that is connected with TB. 

Key board works, web can works, phone sync works.

EDIT:// I have a M1 Mini for those who have missed that. 

At work I have a 2017 15” Intel MBP which I use with a USB-C dock for power, Ethernet, and HDMI. (I’d much rather a Mac mini for work but company policy is to issue laptops 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Zero issues since upgrading to Monterey so far. 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Well would you look at that....it's almost as if every OS on the market has issues with updates, who would have thought.....

Even the most stable ones have issues with updates.

For example Windows 7 had it's fair share of problematic updates,XP had those as well.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

17 hours ago, EDK Tech said:

If you're holding off upgrading to macOS Monterey, keep holding.

Many users (myself included) have had USB hub and device issues. You can't connect iPhones,

uuuuuuh are ya sure about that one? 

IMG_5496.jpg

She/Her

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

charge your battery! D: 

i don't use it on weekends so... i shut it down so the battery won't completely die, i'll charge it monday when i'm gonna use it again. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

-snip-

This is not a universal issue. But my iPad 4th Generation and iPhone SE 2020 don't connect.

27 minutes ago, EDK Tech said:

This is not a universal issue. But my iPad 4th Generation and iPhone SE 2020 don't connect.

well, the iphone in my screenshot is an SE 2020 and connects just fine... so.............

She/Her

Haven’t experienced this issue on my 2020 13” Intel MBP. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

well, the iphone in my screenshot is an SE 2020 and connects just fine... so.............

its repeatedly mention it doesn't affect everyone

this is not the year for OS updates. between WIndows 11, Monterey, IOS15, Andriod 12 issues. waiting for OS updates is a good idea

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Monterey, IOS15

haven't had issues with either 🙂 

She/Her

17 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

haven't had issues with either 🙂 

Just because it doesn't happen to you,it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to others.

Just like with the AMD drivers with the black screens and drivers crashes - A lot of people said something like this: "It doesn't happen to me so it doesn't exist."

On 11/13/2021 at 1:48 AM, EDK Tech said:

any users (myself included) have had USB hub and device issues.

Good to know. Im waiting on upgrading my Intel Mac. I seen at least one thread here that suggested that Bluetooth might also be having issues. Seems like MacOS12 has a few bugs. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Good to know. Im waiting on upgrading my Intel Mac. I seen at least one thread here that suggested that Bluetooth might also be having issues. Seems like MacOS12 has a few bugs. 

There are Bluetooth issues but you can fix them by disabling the AirPlay to Mac setting. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 11/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

IMG_5496.jpg

That your phone is "Element of Magic" makes me ridiclously happy.

derpy.gif.e87a8fbc227b7160b91c5d9885c34907.gif

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 11/13/2021 at 8:20 PM, GDRRiley said:

his is not the year for OS updates. between WIndows 11, Monterey, IOS15, Andriod 12 issues. waiting for OS updates is a good idea

I mean, really, isn't that the idea for anyone in any year that knows anything about computers?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I mean, really, isn't that the idea for anyone in any year that knows anything about computers?

Agreed. I generally wait until the .2 release of any macOS release before upgrading machines I depend on for work.  And when I had windows would always wait a week or two (while keeping an eye on tech news) to apply any updates other than security patches.

For my personal machine, I'm more willing to take the risk (but ensure I have a backup I can revert to if it all goes to ****)

9 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

That your phone is "Element of Magic" makes me ridiclously happy.

my macbook used to be called crystal heart but that was a pain trying to explain to people when i wanted to airdrop files to them. "ashley's macbook pro" is easier 🙂 

She/Her