How to go back in time?

Lil Chillbil

We the forum of linustechtips have a combined iq of OVER 9000 i'm fairly certain we can come up with a way to travel back in time, I screwed up bad and need to redo the last 3 minutes before I decided to make this pointless thread. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Get on a plane in New York, new York, (Make sure it's a supersonic jet) and Fly to LA. That is actually traveling back in time, because NY is ahead of LA, if you get there fast enough it is considered time travel.

you gotta move really fast, so go out and run, but to get as much speed as possible first take off ALL your clothes and rub up in oil

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Whack your head on a toilet seat.

A high quality fancy one.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Right click on the time in the lower right hand corner on a Windows PC, click on "Change date and time settings"

Error: 410

You gotta make sure you hit 88 miles per hour..

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Be baptized and be reborn. Repent your sins.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Simply go to the small island called Kiribati, it sits on the international date line so is therefore split into two different time zones that can be crossed within the hour, and just go from the east side of the island to the west and boom! Gone back in time

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

Any bad thing that you've done can always be forgiven by that guy who lives in the clouds.

Be baptized and be reborn. Repent your sins.

Witting.jpg

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Felt like this thread needed at least one serious post :P

I actually don't think travelling backwards in time is physically possible. I think, personally, you'd need very weird things like a negative mass and faster than light speeds to make that even slightly plausible. However changing the speed at which you move forwards through time is easily achievable :) The perception of time is directly linked to the speed you are travelling. Time moves more quickly the faster you are moving (or perhaps the more energy you have). Obviously the classic example is the two twins scenario, which helps to explain special relativity.

Whether we can stop time altogether is something quite interesting though. Maybe a stationary object does not move through time? So far I don't think this has been tested: we have no way of making a particle stationary, relative to the entire universe. Of course people forget we are moving through space very quickly. We know the Earth spins at around 447m/s. But it orbits the Sun at 29721m/s. Then the solar system will orbit the Milky Way at some crazy speed. And the Milky Way will be orbiting or moving away from... something, at likely very near the speed of light. So yeah, there's no way to actually study stationary particles in real life yet. So that question remains unanswered :/

Professor Brian Cox talked about time travel in a show on BBC a while back, about light cones and how we could possibly use black holes to alter the passage of time. I wanted to watch it again a while back but I couldn't find that part in the video...

Edit: Found it! Watch part 1 first if you want more context from the programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01tll5t

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Witting.jpg

Ah, you understood the reference! :P

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Not possible. Seriously. Going forward in time is possible tho.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Felt like this thread needed at least one serious post :P

I actually don't think travelling backwards in time is physically possible. I think, personally, you'd need very weird things like a negative mass and faster than light speeds to make that even slightly plausible. However changing the speed at which you move forwards through time is easily achievable :) The perception of time is directly linked to the speed you are travelling. Time moves more quickly the faster you are moving (or perhaps the more energy you have). Obviously the classic example is the two twins scenario, which helps to explain special relativity.

Whether we can stop time altogether is something quite interesting though. Maybe a stationary object does not move through time? So far I don't think this has been tested: we have no way of making a particle stationary, relative to the entire universe. Of course people forget we are moving through space very quickly. We know the Earth spins at around 447m/s. But it orbits the Sun at 29721m/s. Then the solar system will orbit the Milky Way at some crazy speed. And the Milky Way will be orbiting or moving away from... something, at likely very near the speed of light. So yeah, there's no way to actually study stationary particles in real life yet. So that question remains unanswered :/

Professor Brian Cox talked about time travel in a show on BBC a while back, about light cones and how we could possibly use black holes to alter the passage of time. I wanted to watch it again a while back but I couldn't find that part in the video...

Edit: Found it! Watch part 1 first if you want more context from the programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01tll5t

Yeah. I simplified it in my part before I read yours. I agree.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I strongly recommend against it. It does more harm than good.

The time machine my friend used to have was a gravity distortion time displacement unit.

It works because passing through the massive gravitational field of a Kerr singularity will not kill you (if you go into it from certain angles). Remember the experiment CERN did a while ago, when people were freaking out because they thought it would destroy the Earth? Well they managed to create micro-singularities in there. In a few years (from today) they will figure out that they if they fire a big amount of electrons towards these micro-singularities they can alter the size of its event horizon and therefore change its gravitational field. All you have to do is put two of these singularities with the correct rotation close to each other, and you will be able to use them to through time (both backwards and forward) without risking getting crushed by the extremely high gravitational force.

This is not all you need in order to travel back in time though. Horrible things could happen unless you use a VGL. It's a system based around four cesium clocks and a gravity sensor. It's used to stop time distortion if it detects a dramatic change in the gravitational force. The reason why you want this is because the Earth moves through space, so if you travel 1 minute back in time you might end up inside a mountain, or a wall or something, because that's the object that was in that space-time location 1 minute before you traveled through time.

Here is a picture of the machine in action. The laser is being bent by the gravitational field around the machine.

post-216-0-96464700-1397262701.jpg

Oh and you don't have to worry about paradoxes like any people think. Everett Wheeler's theory is correct. All that will happen when you travel back in time and change something is that you have jumped to another world line.

So in your case, you would cease to exist in our world line, but your post would still be here. From your POV though, you would be able to stop the post from ever being made, and it would never exist in your new world line. The other people in this thread would forever be stuck with your pointless thread though. What's done is done. The only thing you can do is change what happened from your own point of view.

Hope this helped!

I strongly recommend against it. It does more harm than good.

The time machine my friend used to have was a gravity distortion time displacement unit.

It works because passing through the massive gravitational field of a Kerr singularity will not kill you (if you go into it from certain angles). Remember the experiment CERN did a while ago, when people were freaking out because they thought it would destroy the Earth? Well they managed to create micro-singularities in there. In a few years (from today) they will figure out that they if they fire a big amount of electrons towards these micro-singularities they can alter the size of its event horizon and therefore change its gravitational field. All you have to do is put two of these singularities with the correct rotation close to each other, and you will be able to use them to through time (both backwards and forward) without risking getting crushed by the extremely high gravitational force.

This is not all you need in order to travel back in time though. Horrible things could happen unless you use a VGL. It's a system based around four cesium clocks and a gravity sensor. It's used to stop time distortion if it detects a dramatic change in the gravitational force. The reason why you want this is because the Earth moves through space, so if you travel 1 minute back in time you might end up inside a mountain, or a wall or something, because that's the object that was in that space-time location 1 minute before you traveled through time.

Here is a picture of the machine in action. The laser is being bent by the gravitational field around the machine.

Oh and you don't have to worry about paradoxes like any people think. Everett Wheeler's theory is correct. All that will happen when you travel back in time and change something is that you have jumped to another world line.

So in your case, you would cease to exist in our world line, but your post would still be here. From your POV though, you would be able to stop the post from ever being made, and it would never exist in your new world line. The other people in this thread would forever be stuck with your pointless thread though. You really can't change the past (in the same world line).

Hope this helped!

You could also make a phone-microwave and have it work just as well without all the difficult stuff!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Buy a plane ticket to somewhere in asia and one back.

Once you come back you will be going back in time.

Signatures are stupid.

You could also make a phone-microwave and have it work just as well without all the difficult stuff!

Yes but the 36 byte limit makes it pretty much useless. Anything bigger will be squished through a very tiny wormhole, ending up like green gooey mess. I guess it would be OK for sending text messages but that's about it really.

Yes but the 36 byte limit makes it pretty much useless. Anything bigger will be squished through a very tiny wormhole, ending up like green gooey mess. I guess it would be OK for sending text messages but that's about it really.

If only we could somehow compress the whole mind conveniently into a suitable size.. I wonder..   Damn! SERN is at the door I have to go!!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

If only we could somehow compress the whole mind conveniently into a suitable size.. I wonder..   Damn! SERN is at the door I have to go!!

Oh crap be careful... those people over at SERN are pretty brutal.

My PC specs: 

CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB @ 1866MHz    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 ACX (2-way sli)    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (black)    Storage: 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot drive)WD Green 1 TB storage drive    PSU: Corsair RM 850w    Display: BenQ XL2420TE    Cooling: Corsair H100, 5 Noctua NF-F12s    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate    Mouse: SteelSeries Rival    Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50s  THIS STATEMENT IS YELLOW