Samsung tablet leak shows notched display, just like in the new Macbook Pro

Lightwreather
1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

Ok, so it took Samsung only one week to design this tablet? Impressive! 😱

This is actually parallel evolution. It's nothing new. Samsung's tablets have been optimized for landscape mode before. There are currently only two options for the front camera array: punch-hole and - you guessed it - a notch. (not considering the rational choice for any device: a slightly thicker bezel)

In many cases industry leaders have at least some idea of what their competitors are developing. Still, MBP aside the notch as a concept comes from iphones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Also, is this Samsung tablet on shelves or just a leak with availability months from now?

Apple last minute switched production of the Watch 7 to a backup design in like 2 months. 

37 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

just a leak with availability months from now?

This ^

I mean it is sorta of written clearly at the end of the source article and the title does include the word "Leak"

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

So basically some people are saying a rendering can’t be put together in 1 week.

What is the point of thin bezels on tablets anyway? It makes it hard to use as a touchscreen because your fingers keep activating the sides of the screen accidentally. Classic case of form over function.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Pretty sure Samsung may be in the position to know about this far before me and you.

Sure... Everything Apple once did was original and all other companies just copy Apple. Notch, never seen before, so new, much wow, must be stolen...

Seriously?

28 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Sure... Everything Apple once did was original and all other companies just copy Apple. Notch, never seen before, so new, much wow, must be stolen...

Seriously?

There are certainly some funny coincidences in this industry. 

Someone could see Samsung bringing the notch to a big screen right after Apple as one of those.

The funniest one currently is that some laptops have gone thunderbolt-only after Apple did it in 2016 and now they will have to dial it back. No HDMI or SD card on the Surface Laptop Studio, oops. 

Why does everyone care?  The notch only exists because the camera has to go somewhere.  Just the normal evolution of phone/tablet/laptop design.  There is literally only one way to make the screen as big as you can without increasing the outer dimensions or deleting the camera.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why does everyone care?  The notch only exists because the camera has to go somewhere.  Just the normal evolution of phone/tablet/laptop design.  There is literally only one way to make the screen as big as you can without increasing the outer dimensions or deleting the camera.

On a tablet? Which can be and is usually rotated between landscape and portrait mode?

I'm sure you can see the obvious issue with a notch on one side of the screen

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There are other (crappy) ways like putting a chin-vision camera below the screen or under a pop-up F-key. 

Someone had to nudge the industry in the direction that the notch is now acceptable on big screens.

For the future (in the second half of the decade), there will be new ways to do it by hiding the camera and face recognition tech behind the screen. (provided said screen is an OLED with transparent substrate)

Why are people so annoyed by bezels in the first place? There is no way of avoiding them which doesn't compromise functionality or become a liability for the reliability of the device, and they're not that ugly...

I feel like the industry is suffering from a bit of "let's-be-different-syndrome" here.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What is the point of thin bezels on tablets anyway? It makes it hard to use as a touchscreen because your fingers keep activating the sides of the screen accidentally. Classic case of form over function.

I don't see the point of thin bezels on phones or laptops either, on a laptop you need a bezel to open the screen without getting fingerprints all over the top of the display, and a bezel adds some strength to the screen frame. On a phone a bezel is fine as it allows you to hold the phone without accidentally touching the screen, and a bezel is better on a phone IMO as it adds extra protection for the screen.

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Well Samsung makes their phones with a hole punch, a notch on their tablet makes no sense,  and you need a bezel on a tablet to hold it, so a notch seems like a step backwards than an evolution in design.

17 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

On a tablet? Which can be and is usually rotated between landscape and portrait mode?

I'm sure you can see the obvious issue with a notch on one side of the screen

nope, the reason it is there still exists.  If you take the camera away you get the bigger screen, but no camera,  if you want the bigger screen and the camera then you have to have a bigger device .  Like it or not these things are all limited by the laws of physics.  you simply cannot have a camera and no bezel without a notch unless you accept a bigger device and the vast vast vast majority of consumer do not want bigger but still want the camera,  and they don't give a rats round one that there is a notch. 

12 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

There are other (crappy) ways like putting a chin-vision camera below the screen or under a pop-up F-key. 

Someone had to nudge the industry in the direction that the notch is now acceptable on big screens.

For the future (in the second half of the decade), there will be new ways to do it by hiding the camera and face recognition tech behind the screen. (provided said screen is an OLED with transparent substrate)

There are plenty of ways to place a camera, but if you want to reduce the overall device size and still have a camera then there is only one way to do it.  

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well Samsung makes their phones with a hole punch, a notch on their tablet makes no sense,  and you need a bezel on a tablet to hold it, so a notch seems like a step backwards than an evolution in design.

You cannot have screen where the camera is regardless how they put it in.  There will always be a blank section.  As I said above, the vast majority of consumers want the screen as big as possible, the outer dimensions as small as possible and they don't car about the notch.   Which leaves tech forums being the minority with an issue and manufactures selling to the larger demographic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

There are certainly some funny coincidences in this industry. 

Someone could see Samsung bringing the notch to a big screen right after Apple as one of those.

How are your conspiracy theories holding up considering Apple released a new laptop with rounded corners just one month after the Surface Laptop Studio? Coincidence? Following your argument here: certainly not!

Seriously - don't have your judgement clouded by being a fan of a certain company. There is no basis for any of these accusations. It's just the general direction of the current design language. Nothing out of the ordinary. Take a look at cars or kitchen appliances or furniture or literally anything else.

4 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

How are your conspiracy theories holding up considering Apple released a new laptop with rounded corners just one month after the Surface Laptop Studio?

Itself released almost 3 years after the rounded corners iPad Pro.

Again. If you're upset about people copying Apple design language (even if it's debatable that it was even Apple who did it first), then be mad at the ones doing the copying. These topic tangents are just bizarre 😂

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

Itself released almost 3 years after the rounded corners iPad Pro.

The fact that you ignored the rest of my comment and just responded to the part I obviously meant sarcastically pretty much proofs the point I tried to make. 🤷‍♀️

I really don’t care about the notch as a thing.

What upsets me is the placement of it.

What kind of moron uses a tablet mainly in landscape mode?

Sure have a notch but put it so it sits in portrait mode.

5 minutes ago, Spindel said:

What kind of moron uses a tablet mainly in landscape mode?

A lot of people use their tablet mostly for watching video content.

Plus I tend to use landscape for web browsing because a lot of sites seem to be better suited to a horizontal aspect ratio.

Also I think a lot of people who take notes on a tablet with a pen prefer to hold it landscape.

Many games are designed to run in landscape.

etc. etc.

In other words - plenty of people - more than merits you calling them all morons.

pythonmegapixel

3 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

Apologies if already posted. Apparently Facebook/Meta's working on a smart watch .... with a notch 😂

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/28/facebook-meta-leaked-photo-smart-watch/

Oh God

Older stuff:

Spoiler

I like the arguments of "Thinner bezels" when Macs still have a 3 inch thick black border around the display and this has at least a quarter inch around all 4 sides. You seriously mean to tell me it's easier to put a stupid notch in and design software around that than just putting it in the thick ass bezel? I also like the lack of headphone jack for "thinness" on anything when the worlds thinnest phone still manages to have one.

#Muricaparrotgang