Digi, Romania's largest ISP launches 10 Gbps fixed broadband for just 10,1 EUR/mo

Raizeno
14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is what gets me, most isps have very high dl speed,  low upload... imo both is equally important and having a 1:2 ratio or so helps a lot with online gaming... i used to have a 5mb/2.5mb connection 15 years ago and online gaming was a lot less laggier... which might have other reasons as well, but having synchronized up and dl speeds surely helped.  Now I have 95 dl 35 up and it kinda sucks... at least its almost 2:1, I guess...

I do online gaming very little these days, when I do play games I generally tend to prefer story lead single player campaigns these days.

The main reason I'd prefer higher upload speeds is to actually make off-site backup of any important data more feasible. At the moment I have a 6TB Raid NAS setup at home to store general media, photos, TimeMachine backups etc.  In this day and age, I really shouldn't have to do that but trying to store that data all in the cloud is just too painful due to the pitiful upload speeds.

Online games usually don't require a lot of bandwidth, let's say maybe 10-50 KB/s of upload, so even with a 2-5 mbps upload speed, you would be fine, as long as they're not choking individual connections or traffic shaping. 

Problem with lots of ISPs is loads of hops and routers and crap between your modem and the game servers, or the fact that they're cutting costs by overloading fiber cables (ex they're buying 10 gbps of capacity (of course it's an example number, there's bigger numbers usually) through an ocean cable but they're pushing more than 10gbps of bandwidth by limiting some connections, slowing them down, therefore increasing latency, ping times etc

Sometimes it can make sense to rent a dedicated server or a vps in a datacenter that's in a location with loads of peering agreements (for example Amsterdam for European people) because most likely you'll have a very low latency to that system and few hops, and from there hopefully the datacenter is willing to pay for premium transit to Asia or US and get lower latency.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:55 PM, James Evens said:

What is this fibre internet? - somewhere everywhere outside the metropoles in Germany

Current state of the internet in Germany is VDSL2 with at best 100mbit up and 50mbit down (by now a 15 year old technology on cables half a century old).

I live in a rural area (my town has about 2000 people) in south Germany. I get gigabit (1000down/50up) for 35€ each month.

We get offers for better internet every few months because they upgraded the cable again.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I live in a rural area (my town has about 2000 people) in south Germany. I get gigabit (1000down/50up) for 35€ each month.

We get offers for better internet every few months because they upgraded the cable again.

I just had a scan on the OpenReach website for providers offering FTTP services, and went through a few of them. So far the only one that gives me a quote (the rest say "we're not in your area" / "we have no plans to be in your area") gave me this

Spoiler

image.png.72834ee2670a2fc8a3a08e7686212d58.png

I think I'll pass 😂

Just now, Paul Thexton said:

I just had a scan on the OpenReach website for providers offering FTTP services, and went through a few of them. So far the only one that gives me a quote (the rest say "we're not in your area" / "we have no plans to be in your area") gave me this

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.72834ee2670a2fc8a3a08e7686212d58.png

I think I'll pass 😂

Ouch.

I recently went looking for other providers in my area because they can maybe offer more upload speed. But the best others could do was 100 down / 25 up for 50€ each month. Idk why my current provider is so much faster and also cheaper.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

Online games usually don't require a lot of bandwidth, let's say maybe 10-50 KB/s of upload,

Yeah, I know,  even though I think its a bit more... around 1mb/s probably.  But im just saying at the time i got asynchronous up and download speeds (around 2012...) is also the time a lot of online games went to shit ... and i also remember before that it was like an unwritten rule, half of download speed would be the upload speed,  ideally 1:1, idk the technicalities, but also because "netcode" was/is usually written for these conditions. 

You know,  like there's a lot of stuff done for lag mitigation etc, that kinda depends on this stuff. 

But ultimately I only know the decline of online gaming quality coincidenced with this change,  also a change in transmission tech (used to be VDSL iirc) but that obviously will differ regionally. 

Problem with lots of ISPs is [...]

all of that will also have an influence , yeah. 

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

get gigabit (1000down/50up) for 35€ each month

which provider? I pay more for less, because of course I do (think max we get here is 300-500 down though)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Sometimes it can make sense to rent a dedicated server or a vps in a datacenter that's in a location with loads of peering agreements (for example Amsterdam for European people) because most likely you'll have a very low latency to that system and few hops, and from there hopefully the datacenter is willing to pay for premium transit to Asia or US and get lower latency.

Yeah, in certain cases probably,  but would this work with an Asian "mmo/gacha" type game? I don't think there are "dedicated servers" in that sense, or would this literally shorten my ping/ connection to the "game servers"? (Idk whats a "vps" tbh)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

which provider? I pay more for less, because of course I do (think max we get here is 300-500 down though)

First it was KabelBW, until it was bought up by Unitymedia, which is now bought up by Vodafone. And with each switch i got a new contract with much more bandwidth for a smidgen more money. And when asking around all of my friends pay more for less, so like i said: Idk why it's so cheap in my case. 🤔

Maybe because my familiy has been a long-term customer.

(And yes, i don't just pay for it. I actually get most of it.)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6f21ff86def86632ef9cd0c2c79e5e4f.png

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

First it was KabelBW, until it was bought up by Unitymedia, which is now bought up by Vodafone. And with each switch i got a new contract with much more bandwidth for a smidgen more money. And when asking around all of my friends pay more for less, so like i said: Idk why it's so cheap in my case. 🤔

Maybe because my familiy has been a long-term customer.

(And yes, i don't just pay for it. I actually get most of it.)

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.6f21ff86def86632ef9cd0c2c79e5e4f.png

Oh, i see interesting... funny I think I had the same/similar deal -- except it didn't work that way -- it was called "DSL light" or something and during peak hours i got like 5Mbps... no joke.

Oh and every 30 minutes disconnection,  because why not... and no this wasn't an error,  they literally told me this is "normal" ... lol.

I immediately canceled the contract obviously,  but it was  horrible experience tbth. 

Glad it works for you but I don't think i want to deal with them again  -- except I will probably force them to remove their stuff from our house... it's like a "verteiler" thing in *our* cellar for like a couple of other houses (their "light" model, i suppose...)

I know the previous owner gave them the right to do this, but we are the owners now, they don't have a contract with us whatsoever...

Lol, I'm sorry,  again it sounds great for you,  but I will be happy when this "company" ceases to exist...

Vodafone,  huh. Prob not much is going to change then. 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh, i see interesting... funny I think I had the same/similar deal -- except it didn't work that way -- it was called "DSL light" or something and during peak hours i got like 5Mbps... no joke.

Oh and every 30 minutes disconnection,  because why not... and no this wasn't an error,  they literally told me this is "normal" ... lol.

I immediately canceled the contract obviously,  but it was  horrible experience tbth. 

Glad it works for you but I don't think i want to deal with them again  -- except I will probably force them to remove their stuff from our house... it's like a "verteiler" thing in *our* cellar for like a couple of other houses (their "light" model, i suppose...)

I know the previous owner gave them the right to do this, but we are the owners now, they don't have a contract with us whatsoever...

Lol, I'm sorry,  again it sounds great for you,  but I will be happy when this "company" ceases to exist...

Vodafone,  huh. Prob not much is going to change then. 🤔

It's pretty rare that i have any problems. Had the situation a few weeks ago where the internet was gone every day at 1 o clock. Probably was some sort of maintenance as most people don't need internet access at this time in the middle of the night. But that was only a few days and now it's been working without issues, just like the years before then.

Sadly i know that it's not normal for internet to work as well as it has been for me 😄 And unless you have a business contract, they will take weeks to fix issues if any arise...

On 10/27/2021 at 12:19 AM, Paul Thexton said:

That’s an incredible price (presumably the kit to terminate the fibre will be costly?), at this point I’d be happy to have a 100/200 Mbs synchronous connection from Virgin Media here in the uk. FTTP does exist here but the installation is extremely expensive due to the infrastructure not existing. 

This is what I currently get from my WiFi, Ethernet isn’t wholly dissimilar other than lower latency. I’m paying £50+/month and Virgin regularly increase the price blaming it on “we need to keep investing to keep improving the service”

-snip

My Sister is on Virgin in southend and it's a pretty stable service on the whole.  I nearly had a heart attack when i built my older Nephews PC and tested the connection.  No wonder they used to say my own BT fibre 80/20 was slow when they came round.  I still crush them all on Ping though..I get around 6ms on geforce now

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

• 7 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 6:49 PM, Raizeno said:

Summary

- DIGI is launching Fiberlink 10 Gbps, Romania's fastest internet service for new and existing customers;
- The price of the service is 50 lei(10euro)/month  (VAT included) for the Fiberlink 10 G package and 45 lei/month (VAT included) for the Fiberlink 2.5 G package;
- In December 2021 the service will be available in Bucharest and in 2022 in all county residences.
DIGI launches today, September 30, for the first time in Romania, Fiberlink 10 G, the fastest fiber optic internet service, bringing customers speeds of up to 10 Gigabits per second. By introducing this innovative service to the market, the company becomes the first operator in Romania to offer a product that reaches 10 Gbps and thus marks the evolution towards a new stage of development.
The Fiberlink 10 Gbps high-speed internet service will be made available to the company's customers in three phases. In the first phase, customers living in areas of Sector 1 in Bucharest (available on the website) will benefit from the advantages of this product, and in December the service will be offered to the entire capital. From 2022, the Fiberlink 10 G subscription will be available in all county seats, starting with Brasov, Cluj, Constanta, Craiova, Iasi, Oradea and Timisoara.
The monthly price of a Fiberlink 10 G subscription is 50 lei (10 euro) (VAT included), and for the Fiberlink 2.5 G service it is 45 lei (9 euro) (VAT included)
"Romania is included, as of today, in the category of countries where the new generation of digital services is operating, thanks to Fiberlink 10 G fiber optic internet technology. This is a bold initiative by our company to significantly improve the customer experience and hopefully facilitate access to the internet of the future. The performance of this service is 10 times better than 1 Gbps technology, a package launched by DIGI eight years ago. For this progress I thank all our colleagues who have shown constant commitment so that DIGI is the first operator in Romania to provide its customers with the best communications services at the most attractive and affordable prices on the market," said Valentin Popoviciu, Vice President DIGI | RCS & RDS.

Quotes

My thoughts

Wonder how much is Linus paying for that 10Gbps

Sources

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021/10/01/digi-launches-10-giga-service/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/pyimbe/10gbps_internet_12/

If you would like to know why these internet subscription, as Romanians don't have money to invest in highways, you, the other ones, don't have money to invest in the fiber internet, like in Germany, and the salaries in Romania are TRASH.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:19 AM, Paul Thexton said:

That’s an incredible price (presumably the kit to terminate the fibre will be costly?), at this point I’d be happy to have a 100/200 Mbs synchronous connection from Virgin Media here in the uk. FTTP does exist here but the installation is extremely expensive due to the infrastructure not existing. 

This is what I currently get from my WiFi, Ethernet isn’t wholly dissimilar other than lower latency. I’m paying £50+/month and Virgin regularly increase the price blaming it on “we need to keep investing to keep improving the service”

image.png.164e40750dbf3ee0de5307f5b7c8d9c4.png

If it’s like my FTTP the kit to terminate it is a tiny cheap little modem?, which has a fibre port input and ethernet output to your router.

UK is hit or miss with internet. I’m in the West Midlands on the outskirts of a city and I pay £27 for about 980 down/990up and actually get those speeds.

I have the option of FTTP with virgin also but that is at least twice the price for slower download speeds and the upload speed is trash regardless of option I go for from them.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:17 PM, leadeater said:

Wish our residential 10Gb plans were this cheap

I wish 10Gb plans were a thing here. Hell, I wish I could get 1Gb. In about 2 years the work will be finished and I will finally have FTTH, but I won't even be able to get a synchronous speeds at that point. Germany really is a third world country in many aspects. Can anyone imagine that at one point we were the first to invent rockets? I sure can't...

Meanwhile Frankfurt DE-CIX is peaking at close to 12tbit/s and has capacities of up to 105tbit/s.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:29 AM, poochyena said:

Do they explain how its so cheap? Its $70 for google fiber here. $100/month for 2gig. We have a lot of competition too, I have 3 or 4 ISPs available to me and most people in the city.

Iirc Romania isn't a particularly well off country on the whole so things are cheaper in order to compensate for the average income being lower than in wealthier countries like the US or even other parts of the EU and Europe.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Iirc Romania isn't a particularly well off country on the whole so things are cheaper in order to compensate for the average income being lower than in wealthier countries like the US or even other parts of the EU and Europe.

Correct.
The average income per capita in rumania is about 5x lower than that of Germany. But the pricing for internet in Germany isn't 5x more expensive. It's roughly 80x more expensive. (No really, we pay ~ 80€ for 1Gbps FTTH and 10Gbps is barely a thing here)

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Correct.
The average income per capita in rumania is about 5x lower than that of Germany. But the pricing for internet in Germany isn't 5x more expensive. It's roughly 80x more expensive. (No really, we pay ~ 80€ for 1Gbps FTTH and 10Gbps is barely a thing here)

Also there is more than 4 times the population in Germany, so ignoring all other factors if you gave everyone in Germany 10Gb connections at a reasonable price the amount of data that infrastructure would have to handle and maintain would be in addition to the general personal wealth differences. 

That is the problem we largely have in Australia,  Many RSP's already oversell the data in order to keep the price down, The ones that don't charge premium prices.    I think it is generally incorrect to compare countries like Germany and Australia to Romania.  

Also, old thread is old.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Also there is more than 4 times the population in Germany, so ignoring all other factors if you gave everyone in Germany 10Gb connections at a reasonable price the amount of data that infrastructure would have to handle and maintain would be in addition to the general personal wealth differences. 

If anything that's a benefit for ISPs in Germany. They can reach more customers with less infrastructure and therefor prices should be lower. But it isn't even available yet...

I think the big problem with this stupid country is, that it's made up of old people that don't even know what the internet is.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Also, old thread is old.

Didn't even notice how old this is lol 

49 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

If anything that's a benefit for ISPs in Germany. They can reach more customers with less infrastructure and therefor prices should be lower. But it isn't even available yet...

I think the big problem with this stupid country is, that it's made up of old people that don't even know what the internet is.

With more customers on faster connections you have to manage significantly more bandwidth.  It's not just the physical connections.   For whatever combination of tech and economics, these things don't scale well and cost blows out.  I imagine a network tech in Germany costs more to employ to oversee 20Million connections than the same tech in Romania over seeing 5 Million connections.

49 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Didn't even notice how old this is lol 

Happens every now and then.  Even though they don't like it, sometimes it's good to revisit an old discussion after we've had more time to evaluate it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

With more customers on faster connections you have to manage significantly more bandwidth.  It's not just the physical connections.   For whatever combination of tech and economics, these things don't scale well and cost blows out.  I imagine a network tech in Germany costs more to employ to oversee 20Million connections than the same tech in Romania over seeing 5 Million connections.

Fair enought, actually Mmakes sense now that you say that.
But I don't think cost is exactly the issue anymore. The German government has spend 876 million € on expanding the broadband network just this year and the German Telekom is one of the most profitable ISPs on the planet. I'm just really frustrated with not only pricing, but also the availability of fiber in this country.

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Fair enought, actually Mmakes sense now that you say that.
But I don't think cost is exactly the issue anymore. The German government has spend 876 million € on expanding the broadband network just this year and the German Telekom is one of the most profitable ISPs on the planet. I'm just really frustrated with not only pricing, but also the availability of fiber in this country.

I hear you,  we have had similar issues here,  It's really hard to convince  the bureaucracy of anything when some company is making money off it or some politician won't get re-elected for it.     Doesn't matter if it's fibre,  health care,  roads and transport infrastructure or education.   In fact a classic example is watching a school's brand new air conditioner being replaced with another exactly the same brand new air conditioner because the paper work says it has to, forget integration aides, more computers or better PD for teachers...

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone wondering about it, Fiberlink 10g is still yet to be rolled out to the general population of Bucharest. Digi's answer to this problem was "the pandemic has pushed back the general rollout". I've spoken with multiple employees of that ISP about it cause I want to move from my 1g pack to the 10g pack. For the last few months I've received the same answer over and over. Typical Romanian stuff...