First Build

Bron_

I hear COD warzone runs smoother with an 8 core cpu, so take that as you will. I would recommend 10700 (best value alternative) or 5800X (for the best current 8 core CPU). 

The case comes with 3 fans already and that will be plenty.

The Samsung 980 is actually a budget drive without dram at a premium price. I would recommend going with one of the follow:

Silicon Power A80

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro

Mushkin Pilot-E

3060Ti is good for 1080p, but might not push to over 100 on 1440p on COD.

The problem is most likely you won't be able to get GPU for that price, You can go little chipper on Motherboard, Case and SSD and save this money for better CPU or a GPU.

5 hours ago, CEO of Russia said:

I was just wondering what fans are used on the Be Quiet 500DX. It says that they are the Pure Wings 2 but it doesn’t specify which one. There are 2 different ones which are PWM and the other that is not PWM. Also does it make a difference if they are PWM or not? This is my frost pc build that’s why I’m asking 🙂

PWM only affects the amount of control you have on the fans themselves, not their performance. With a PWM fan, you can make the fans spin much slower (A typical 1000 PWM fan get get below 400RPM, wile a 3 pin DC-DC fan usually cant go below 600RPM, as it's being regulated by the amount of voltage (minimum is usually 7V compared to 12)

PWM< fans can also give feedback on their estimated RPMS, while DC-DC fans only give a % fan speed. 

For a "Case fan", DC-Dc fans are just fine, but for a CPU cooler or GPU fan, PWM fans are preferred for extra control. The included fans are good for what you need. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

23 hours ago, CEO of Russia said:

Budget (including currency): 1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: This will be used primarily for playing call of duty and for schoolwork

I want to be able to play at 100 frames on medium too high settings

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dVT2vf

I think I have the build for you.... Check the Link Here. I got you a killer 8 Core Intel CPU, a 1TB M.2 with 1GB Cache, I tossed the case and extra fans because there are much better cases out there and I put in the best Air Flow Case on 2021, I actually have it for myself and its amazing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B460M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB EAGLE Video Card  ($600.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Cooler Master A71C Addressable RGB CPU Air Cooler for AMD Ryzen w/Anodized Black Aluminum Fins, Copper Insert Base, MF120 120mm ARGB Fan, AMD Ryzen  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Montech AIR 100 ARGB Micro-ATX Tower with Four ARGB Fans Pre Installed, Ultra-Minimalist Design, Fine Mesh Front Panel, High Airflow, Unique Side Swivel Tempered Glass, Dust Protection, Black  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1499.92

Edited by PC MD Doctors

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

Just now, PC MD Doctors said:

I think I have the build for you.... Check the Link Here. I got you a killer 8 Core Intel CPU, a 1TB M.2 with 1GB Cache, I tossed the case and extra fans because there are much better cases out there and I put in the best Air Flow Case on 2021, I actually have it for myself and its amazing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($186.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB EAGLE Video Card  ($600.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Cooler Master A71C Addressable RGB CPU Air Cooler for AMD Ryzen w/Anodized Black Aluminum Fins, Copper Insert Base, MF120 120mm ARGB Fan, AMD Ryzen  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Montech AIR 100 ARGB Micro-ATX Tower with Four ARGB Fans Pre Installed, Ultra-Minimalist Design, Fine Mesh Front Panel, High Airflow, Unique Side Swivel Tempered Glass, Dust Protection, Black  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1501.92

Tell me where the hell can I get RTX 3070 TI for 600 USD? 😄 😄 It's more like 2500$ build, Because 3070 TI is going for 1600$ nowadays...

Also, That case is Micro-ATX, How are you going to fit ATX board in it? 

14 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Tell me where the hell can I get RTX 3070 TI for 600 USD? 😄 😄 It's more like 2500$ build, Because 3070 TI is going for 1600$ nowadays...

Also, That case is Micro-ATX, How are you going to fit ATX board in it? 

Ok, I overlooked the Mobo and I fixed it. As for the GPU, its the MSRP on Best Buy. He can get one if he is lucky enough when they come back in stock.

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

Just now, PC MD Doctors said:

Ok, I overlooked the Mobo and I fixed it. As for the GPU, its the MSRP on Best Buy. He can get one if he is lucky enough when they come back in stock.

Yeah, GPU's are really hard to come buy those days.

Also, One advice from me, get cable extensions if you want to make your build look good it does more than you might think. Color of your choice. https://www.amazon.com/Asiahorse-Customization-Sleeve-Extension-Supply/dp/B07C735N9C

Just a thought, You can build Micro-ATX system if you wanted to, That'll be little smaller and also good looking, You can go for a Montech AIR 100 ARGB or something like that. 

I was wondering what motherboard I should pair with a Core i5 11400f. I had my eye on the ASUS ROG Strix b560-A Wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WRB9QRR?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I dont know what other motherboard to pair which this CPU and I liked this one for the benefit of Wifi 6. If you can link other mobos for this CPU that would be great. PS this is going to be my first build. 

Don't think there will be a better board than that ROG you like for that Cpu. Probably overkill, but for PCs, that's a non-issue.

Budget (including currency): 1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I will be primarily using this to play Call of Duty at 120 frames on medium to high settings. I will also be using this for schoolwork. 

This is going to be my first build and want to start strong. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WCFpXb

I made some adjustments. Better CPU and lower price, With lower priced board makes more sense. Faster RAMs, Better SSD, Better PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bPmRDc

But, We have a big problem and that is, You won't be able to get GPU for that price. If you can save some more and get 3060 ti, That'll be great.

Hi, I am using the same CPU as you, the i5-11400F. I'm using the ASUS ROG Strix B560-G Wifi, which is the same but in Matx size. I'd it's a decent board as I got it at discounted price.

System Specs

• ASUS ROG Strix B560-G Wifi
  • be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3600Mhz
  • Intel i5-11400F
  • ASUS TUF RTX 3070 Ti Oc
  • NZXT C750
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb
  • W.D 2TB 7200RPM

The Gigabyte B560/M Aorus Pro/AX has one of the better VRM's for the non 'Z' chipset boards. So if you plan on getting an 11700/11900 in the future then it would run cooler on that board. The Asus will still be fine though if you prefer that.

I want to make my first build but don't know if I should go AMD or Intel. I found 2 CPU's that I liked and they were the Ryzen 5 5600x and the Core i5 11400f. Both of them require different chipsets and different mobos to use. For the AMD CPU I wanted to go with the MSI Gaming Edge Wifi. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CQFHHZ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

For the Intel CPU I wanted to go for the MSI b560 Tomahawk Wifi https://www.amazon.com/MSI-MAG-B560-Tomahawk-Motherboard/dp/B08WCS1HXT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=V1R9HL9UM504&dchild=1&keywords=msi+b560+tomahawk&qid=1631240688&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Which platform should I choose? I am also going to be paring this with an rtx 3060 ti. 

The 5600x is faster. The 11400 is cheaper. The choice is yours 🙂

Personally, i'd probably go 5600x and get a cheaper B450 board like the Tomahawk Max to offset a bit of the extra cost of the CPU. B550 doesnt really give you all that much thats useful, and there are some excellent deals on the B450 boards currently, though a lot depends on your region. It might also be feasible to drop to a lower spec B550 board, as almost all of them are good enough.

AMD route probably also has a better upgrade path. EG there are 8/12/16 core CPU's available for that platform, whereas the intel route only goes to 8, and the top end intel chips always hold their value far too much to make it worthwhile upgrading those platforms when they've aged a bit.

2 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

Personally, i'd probably go 5600x and get a cheaper B450 board like the Tomahawk Max to offset a bit of the extra cost of the CPU. B550 doesnt really give you all that much thats useful, and there are some excellent deals on the B450 boards currently, though a lot depends on your region. It might also be feasible to drop to a lower spec B550 board, as almost all of them are good enough.

It gives you PCIe Gen 4. That's pretty important, IMO. We don't know what the requirements for Direct Storage will be, but if it's Gen 4 like on the PS5, then cheaping out on a B450 board is gonna look pretty silly.

Besides, you could save even more money by getting the 10400 if you don't care about Gen 4 and are only looking for gaming performance. Heck, you could go all the way up to the 10700K for a price comparable to the 5600X.

its not really important at all though (at least IMO). Its one of those things that marketing hype doesnt really tell the whole story. A fast Gen4 SSD sure can burst up to 4-5000mb/sec which exceeds PCIe gen3 speeds, but in practice with actual workloads, you wont see anywhere near that. The real-world performance of that fast Gen4 SSD is unlikely to be different in Gen3 mode. After all, a 4x Gen3 link can do 4GB/s, and many "Gen4" drives cant even maintain that as a sequential read.

Prices vary from country to country. Here a 5600x is about £245. A 10700k is around £275. 10400 somewhere around £150. 11400 is about £200.

10400 is significantly slower than a 5600x though. The 5600 will often beat the 10700 in gaming. Really depends what you want.

But yea, if you really want Gen4, pickup something like an msi pro-vdh B550.

With a £40 price difference between the 11400 and 5600x, the 5600 seems like the no-brainer option, especially when you can buy a cheaper board (even if that means staying B550). The cheaper B560 boards tend to have big VRM issues due to the inefficient intel design, whereas even the most bargain basement B550 board will get the full performance from a 5600x.

22 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

its not really important at all though (at least IMO). Its one of those things that marketing hype doesnt really tell the whole story. A fast Gen4 SSD sure can burst up to 4-5000mb/sec which exceeds PCIe gen3 speeds, but in practice with actual workloads, you wont see anywhere near that. The real-world performance of that fast Gen4 SSD is unlikely to be different in Gen3 mode. After all, a 4x Gen3 link can do 4GB/s, and many "Gen4" drives cant even maintain that as a sequential read.

I'm not talking about current workloads. I'm talking about Direct Storage, which is currently unimplemented, but that might require Gen 4. I'm not saying to get a Gen 4 drive today. I'm saying that it might be necessary to upgrade to in the future.

The PS5 refuses to work with a slower drive. If game makers decide that 5 GB/s is the minimum threshold, they might disable Direct Storage support when detecting an incompatible drive.

There's no guarantee about any of this; the PC implementation might only require 2.5 GB/s for all we know. Heck, maybe devs will have a compatibility mode for SATA SSDs. We don't know what that technology will look like in practice, but if the PS5 is any indication, Gen 3 will be insufficient.

9 hours ago, CEO of Russia said:

I want to make my first build but don't know if I should go AMD or Intel. I found 2 CPU's that I liked and they were the Ryzen 5 5600x and the Core i5 11400f. Both of them require different chipsets and different mobos to use. For the AMD CPU I wanted to go with the MSI Gaming Edge Wifi. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CQFHHZ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

For the Intel CPU I wanted to go for the MSI b560 Tomahawk Wifi https://www.amazon.com/MSI-MAG-B560-Tomahawk-Motherboard/dp/B08WCS1HXT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=V1R9HL9UM504&dchild=1&keywords=msi+b560+tomahawk&qid=1631240688&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Which platform should I choose? I am also going to be paring this with an rtx 3060 ti. 

if the cost is almost the same i'd recommend amd with the b550/x570 gaming edge, no need to go back down to b450 to save a few bucks.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

43 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I'm not talking about current workloads. I'm talking about Direct Storage, which is currently unimplemented, but that might require Gen 4. I'm not saying to get a Gen 4 drive today. I'm saying that it might be necessary to upgrade to in the future.

The PS5 refuses to work with a slower drive. If game makers decide that 5 GB/s is the minimum threshold, they might disable Direct Storage support when detecting an incompatible drive.

There's no guarantee about any of this; the PC implementation might only require 2.5 GB/s for all we know. Heck, maybe devs will have a compatibility mode for SATA SSDs. We don't know what that technology will look like in practice, but if the PS5 is any indication, Gen 3 will be insufficient.

Direct storage isnt some magical workload. There is no workload that will perform faster than a standard sequential read test. And i'm pointing out that many Gen4 drives provide sequential read performance that wouldn't actually saturate gen3

And as Linus' video showed, the PS5 implementation is dumb, as it refused a fast Gen3 drive, while accepting a slower Gen4 drive.

The whole concept that your pushing is flawed; buy this more expensive thing now, incase some unknown thing happens in future which the more expensive thing *might* be better at. Nah. Buy for the now. If its a problem in future, you can always swap the board. Its highly unlikely it will be a problem though. A fast Gen4 SSD thats limited to 4GB/sec is still damn fast.

Ofcourse it all depends on the pricing in your area. Currently here we can buy a B450 Mortar Max for £55, a ProVDH B550 board is £90, the gaming edge board is £160... Personally, i'd be saving the £100, buying the cheaper board and using the saved money elsewhere in the build. In normal times that £100 would get you a tier higher GPU for instance, something your much more likely to actually benefit from now. But if you must have Gen4, then the Pro VDH is still a much better deal than the gaming edge.

1 minute ago, Aragorn- said:

And as Linus' video showed, the PS5 implementation is dumb, as it refused a fast Gen3 drive, while accepting a slower Gen4 drive.

I didn't say such an implementation would be smart, only that the PS5's is the only example we have of this technology. If it is used as the model for that tech, then the dumb dumb choices made there will unfortunately be pushed over to PCs.

2 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

The whole concept that your pushing is flawed; buy this more expensive thing now, incase some unknown thing happens in future which the more expensive thing *might* be better at. Nah. Buy for the now. If its a problem in future, you can always swap the board. Its highly unlikely it will be a problem though. A fast Gen4 SSD thats limited to 4GB/sec is still damn fast.

I generally agree, but we aren't talking about spending all that extra money on just that. Both Gen 4 and B550 have other advantages.

B550 also offers Gen 3 on expansion slots that link to the chipset, rather than Gen 2 on the B450 boards. Gen 2 can absolutely have bandwidth issues with modern expansion cards and with getting the full performance out of NVMe drives.

32 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

Of course it all depends on the pricing in your area. Currently here we can buy a B450 Mortar Max for £55, a ProVDH B550 board is £90, the gaming edge board is £160... Personally, i'd be saving the £100, buying the cheaper board and using the saved money elsewhere in the build. In normal times that £100 would get you a tier higher GPU for instance, something your much more likely to actually benefit from now. But if you must have Gen4, then the Pro VDH is still a much better deal than the gaming edge.

Note that both of the OP boards have WiFi 6, whereas neither of your recommendations do. A WiFi 6 expansion card can be quite pricey. That's actually why I chose the Gaming Edge for my own build, because it was cheaper to get that rather than to get a less expensive board and then upgrade it with a WiFi 6 card.

Finally, the Gaming Edge has great VRMs whereas the ProVDH has mediocre ones. The Gaming Edge only reached 59C in Hardware Unboxed's 3950X OC VRM thermal test, whereas the ProVDH went up to 104C. If ever upgrading to a 5900X or 5950X down the road, having a solid board like that will make it easy and won't come with the question of an additional investment in a new motherboard.

10 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I didn't say such an implementation would be smart, only that the PS5's is the only example we have of this technology. If it is used as the model for that tech, then the dumb dumb choices made there will unfortunately be pushed over to PCs.

I generally agree, but we aren't talking about spending all that extra money on just that. Both Gen 4 and B550 have other advantages.

B550 also offers Gen 3 on expansion slots that link to the chipset, rather than Gen 2 on the B450 boards. Gen 2 can absolutely have bandwidth issues with modern expansion cards and with getting the full performance out of NVMe drives.

Note that both of the OP boards have WiFi 6, whereas neither of your recommendations do. A WiFi 6 expansion card can be quite pricey. That's actually why I chose the Gaming Edge for my own build, because it was cheaper to get that rather than to get a less expensive board and then upgrade it with a WiFi 6 card.

Finally, the Gaming Edge has great VRMs whereas the ProVDH has mediocre ones. The Gaming Edge only reached 59C in Hardware Unboxed's 3950X OC VRM thermal test, whereas the ProVDH went up to 104C. If ever upgrading to a 5900X or 5950X down the road, having a solid board like that will make it easy and won't come with the question of an additional investment in a new motherboard.

Yo thanks for the advice guys 🙂 

I’m going to be making my build within the Corsair 4000x and it includes a controller already. I decided to add 3 more Corsair fans but I don’t have the controller. Can I plug all the rgb into the controller and then the fans onto the motherboard? Also will I still be able to control the fans speeds in the motherboard software or the ICUE software? My motherboard is going to be true x570 Aorus Pro Wifi. I want to be able to use the ICUE software. 

I have an Aorus x570 Pro Wifi and I wanted to know what PSU I should pair with it. It has an 8+4 pin CPU connecter but most 650w PSUs only have one 8 pin. On the other hand a 750w PSU has a 2 cpu connecters. Does it make a difference when I am pairing it with a Ryzen 5 5600x. Should I go with a 650w PSU or a 750w? Also for anyone wondering why I have an x570 its because I got it cheap.