With M1X Macs now mere weeks away, Intel’s cringey PR is at it again

saltycaramel

Framework ?

Asus G14 ?

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

2 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

That one has sailed a long time ago in this type of thin&light ultrabook or however you want to call them. If you are lucky you can exchange the SSD.

I'm not

I am unlucky because I was born before Louis Rossman Won The Right To Repair battle,

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

2 hours ago, linux fanboy said:

Framework ?

Asus G14 ?

I wouldn't classify either under the "thin and light" umbrella. Both are standard notebooks now days sitting in the same segment as the MacBook Pro

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I wouldn't classify either under the "thin and light" umbrella. Both are standard notebooks now days sitting in the same segment as the MacBook Pro

Framework or Aus G14 are small enough, I don't see the obsession of anything less as you sacrifice so much you may as well just get an ipad and a keyboard.

2 hours ago, linux fanboy said:

I'm not

I am unlucky because I was born before Louis Rossman Won The Right To Repair battle,

I wouldn't call it his battle, Louis Rossman is putting a lot of effort into getting it passed though, its a battle for every consumer and it would be a lot less waste if you could have a modular device instead of a disposable one.

I don't like the ads Intel has been putting out lately,  but Intel definitely has a point with customization and upgrades.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Framework or Aus G14 are small enough, I don't see the obsession of anything less as you sacrifice so much you may as well just get an ipad and a keyboard.

They're certainly alright, but there is a tangible difference. If you're a student hauling a laptop and a stack of books (while books are still a thing, anyway) to class, a laptop that weighs over half a pound less, while slimming down, makes a difference.

Next year we’ll need to update our idea of what constitutes a thin&light notebook anyway.

The clock is ticking for the barely-as-thick-as-the-usb-C-port colorful M2 Macbook Airs. 

The non-tapered grandsons of the 2015 12” Macbook. 

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

The non-tapered grandsons of the 2015 12” Macbook. 

Personally i think apple should just go back to the macBook name would be cleaner but like many companies apple is not very good at coming up with good naming solutions across their product lines.

24 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Personally i think apple should just go back to the macBook name would be cleaner but like many companies apple is not very good at coming up with good naming solutions across their product lines.

They tried.

The Macbook Air brand proved to be too sticky and beloved.

They had to bring it back in 2018.

I think we’ll see “Airs” again next year.

Or maybe they’ll change the naming scheme of laptops completely next Monday. AppleBook Pros anyone?

(the iMac M1 retained the same name during its transition but that doesn’t count since it dates back to 1998 and didn’t even change during the previous PPC>Intel transition)

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

This is the problem with morphing standards.  Compare one to the original MacBook Air, which was considered a “thin and light”. Used to be “desktop replacement” meant luggable, and luggable included the berry macs with built in CRTs.  The original toaster Mac was considered luggable when it came out.  No battery there even.  Just a full size ac power in. Thing wouldn’t be considered luggable any more.  Maybe an SFF desktop at best. A berry Mac would be considered a full desktop.  Even a huge one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is the problem with morphing standards.  Compare one to the original MacBook Air, which was considered a “thin and light”. Used to be “desktop replacement” meant luggable, and luggable included the berry macs with built in CRTs.  The original toaster Mac was considered luggable when it came out.  No battery there even.  Just a full size ac power in. Thing wouldn’t be considered luggable any more.  Maybe an SFF desktop at best. A berry Mac would be considered a full desktop.  Even a huge one.

Yes those change over time but when talking about the here and now the difference between the types is still the same. 5 years ago a thin and light may have been 1.5kg, today it's 1.2kg so I wouldn't go comparing 1.5kg+ laptops to 1.2kg laptops that can't or don't have dedicated GPUs.

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:
the replies are comedy gold

5/5, this has to be one of the dumber points

Those 2-in-1 folding/flip laptops are anything but simple life and you spend so much time pissing about you leave it as a normal laptop, after trying as hard as you can to use it as a tablet and getting punched in the face every 5 minutes with something that requires you to put it back in laptop mode. The fact that the video/gif loops and repeats resembling actual usage is the best part lol

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

5/5, this has to be one of the dumber points

The Youtube video has 3x the amount of dislikes than likes, that is Youtube Rewind territorium. Are they at Intel PR simply blind, imcapable or what? Do they reflect even the tiniest bit on the reaction of the target audience? How stupid must a company be to pull such a PR stunt after what happened on YT on Twitter, which is much worse in terms of people keeping their manners?

What's next? reddit, 4chan?

On 10/6/2021 at 2:11 AM, Laborant said:

As there are many hardware engineers working at Apple, I wonder how they deal with that problem. 

Those hardware engineers have the Mac Pro and the 16" MacBook Pro. Not low end consumer M1 Macs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Intel a year ago: Completely embarrasses themselves with such "stunts".
Intel now: I'll f*cking do it again!!

On 10/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, Dracarris said:

Are they at Intel PR simply blind, imcapable or what?

They are not. It is just that that department is so big that it created a live of it's own.

One where it only counts to retain (or better increase) the budget for next year. One where they will put anything out not to woe the public but to justify their existence to the higher ups.

They can't attack AMD as they are 99.9% the same just a bit better (atm).

They can't attack NVidia as they are not competing in the same market (yet).

They can attack Apple because they are pretty much lost as a costumers and there is hope that the  higher up may not realize how nonsense these ads are.

23 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

Looks like an uphill battle at the moment, but godspeed!

Man wish Pat was the voice of Intel more often, he needs to go down to the daycare center (Intel PR/Marketing) and give them all a timeout.

The was also the closest I've seen of a CEO saying a competing company has a better product currently, at least in this business size and industry.

Sorry for being completely OT (didn't want to start a new thread just for the following):

I'm really excited and curious for the upcoming apple event in a couple of hours. 

Plz Plz Plz Apple don't do a revamped Mac Mini that I will feel forced to buy, I just got this M1 Mini power (p0ww4h) box last year and it still serves me good. 

11 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Sorry for being completely OT (didn't want to start a new thread just for the following):

I'm really excited and curious for the upcoming apple event in a couple of hours. 

Plz Plz Plz Apple don't do a revamped Mac Mini that I will feel forced to buy, I just got this M1 Mini power (p0ww4h) box last year and it still serves me good. 

Buy the new M1-Pro Mini and use the old M1 Mini as a power-sipping macOS-based home server 👌🏻 

1 minute ago, saltycaramel said:

Buy the new M1-Pro Mini and use the old M1 Mini as a power-sipping macOS-based home server 👌🏻 

Wife does not agree to your elegant solution

EDIT:// Still holding out that the new Mini is just a baseless rumor that will not come to fruition this year. 

I remember reading a rumor that Apple would purposely delay the (otherwise ready) M1Pro Mini not to steer attention away from the MBPs.

Another relevant fact though: on the eve of last year’s M1 event we had zero rumors about the M1 Mini. There must be something about the Mini’s supply chain that makes it less prone to leaks. Or just less interesting. 

2 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

I remember reading a rumor that Apple would purposely delay the (otherwise ready) M1Pro Mini not to steer attention away from the MBPs.

Another relevant fact though: on the eve of last year’s M1 event we had zero rumors about the M1 Mini. There must be something about the Mini’s supply chain that makes it less prone to leaks. Or just less interesting. 

I'm pretty certain there where a lot of "a M1 Mini coming along with the Air and small MBP" rumors. Just no details if it would be a redesign or not. 

I might be remembering it wrong tho. 

4 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

The m1 machines aren’t bad.  Quite good for even a totally modern iGP device, and they’ve got enough processor for a lot of things. Just not absolutely everything.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.