With M1X Macs now mere weeks away, Intel’s cringey PR is at it again

saltycaramel

Summary

Intel recently published a supposed “social experiment” (judge by yourself if the reactions look genuine or scripted) in which Apple fans (allegedly) are confronted with the amazing world of customization, cheap memory upgrades after the fact and wild form factors that lies outside of the Apple bubble. 

Video

My thoughts

We are now just a few weeks away from the 10-core M1X Macs (2 Macbook Pros and possibly 1 Mac Mini), the timing of this ad may not be a coincidence. I see cringe, “nerdy” tone deafness, failing to acknowledge what the Apple “spell” is all about. And honestly faux social experiments belong to clickbaity youtubers, not to a company at the pinnacle of chip design. I get that PR is a separate team from engineering, but I thought the new leadership at Intel was supposed to stop it with this kind of self-deprecating smell-of-desperation PR stunts.  

Also, since already 90% of desktop/laptop users live outside of the Mac bubble, why is Intel acting so nervous and proactive to convert that 10% of Mac users? What are they afraid of? Are they connecting the dots about the M1, the M1X and the M2’s hard to beat perf-per-watt and perf-per-buck?

The more Intel and MS embarrass themselves with this kind of ad campaigns, the more I know Apple is onto something with these new custom silicon Macs.

Intels afraid because the macs are good.

Like really good.

And 10% of poeple who had macs with intel are people who apple is trying to get to upgrade to apple silicon.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

why is Intel acting so nervous and proactive to convert that 10% of Mac users?

Even more market share.

13 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

What are they afraid of? Are they connecting the dots about the M1, the M1X and the M2’s hard to beat perf-per-watt and perf-per-buck?

Yep. Intel hasn't moved that much over the last years and for all intents and purposes had a monopoly. With the advent of Epyc, Ryzen and M1 they're now feeling the heat under their feet from these companies getting a little uncomfortably hot. Plus, with top of the line Intel and AMD CPUs costing about the same and both games and other workloads becoming more effective at leveraging multiple cores, why would I pay the same or more for an Intel CPU with less cores.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

Also, since already 90% of desktop/laptop users live outside of the Mac bubble, why is Intel acting so nervous and proactive to convert that 10% of Mac users?

I feel like that number has changed/ might change soon. And not to sound like a fanboy, but I'd say Intel IS worried, the mobile space has been one that intel has historically dominated, and seeing increased competition at a time where they don't have a product that is truly competitive (sorry TGL) has them worried imo

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

(judge by yourself if the reactions look genuine or scripted)

It's an ad, obviously it's fake.

As for why Intel is trying to make their products look better, it's because those ARM chips are looking really damn good. If high performance ARM chips and x86-64 emulation existed on Windows or Linux you can bet I'd be dropping Intel and AMD in a heartbeat. People without my negative opinions of Apple are already jumping ship, because Apple's new chips are just really good. I'd probably be doing it too if I didn't hate Apple more than I hate Intel and AMD.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I understand Intel, they have been offering pretty poor cpus for a couple of years now.

Ryzen 5000 converted me to AMD on my gaming rig, and I use a MBP M1 now as a laptop. No more intel

“REAL” capitalized, Intel says

But it’s an ad so we’re supposed to know it’s fake. 

Or maybe those actors are also real apple fans after work. 

Honestly are Mac users really buying Macs at the time because they have Intel processors? Though to be fair, that's American advertising for you. It's like how every single ad for an American car company is just cringy AF. Apparently every single car made in America earned some sort of JD Power award. And who can forget  Chevrolet's "real people" ads. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Listen, we all know Intel is the best.

Only with Intel they could deliver such an amazing gaming video playback experience.

And only with Intel you can enjoy quality message boxes from their "fully supported DirectX/OpenGL" graphics chip which popup and crash your games saying that some DirectX or OpenGL call is unsupported.

Only with Intel...

Do you have this with Apple M1? No! And there you go.
You don't have the Intel eXperience(TM) on those devices!

Next time you go shopping for your next computer, be sure to ask for Intel CPU (don't worry, thanks to them making secret anti-consumer and monopolistic deals with OEMs to get special pricing if they go exclusive Intel, you won't have to worry about getting anything else than Intel in the PC space).

I might be off base here, but I honestly don't think typical consumers that buy Apple computers generally care about the hardware side, they're buying it for the ecosystem. This is both a great and a terrible thing if you buy Apple, you're getting curated hardware and software that's tested and designed to work well together, but you're limited to the OSX ecosystem.

My father has a 2014 Intel MacBook Pro, and I don't think he really cares what the processor is. He's also going to buy a new MacBook Pro eventually, and it having an Intel or an Apple chip in it won't really matter.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

7 hours ago, r821e228 said:

if Apple stuff wasn't so freaking expensive I'd have switched long ago.

Then your time is now, the M1 based machines start at around 700$ and the M1 MBA has probably one of the best price to performance ratios in the history of laptops.

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I might be off base here, but I honestly don't think typical consumers that buy Apple computers generally care about the hardware side, they're buying it for the ecosystem.

For a large share, probably yes. But do keep in mind that Apple has a significant share among very knowledgeable people like Anthony or anyone else for which the proximity of macOS to Linux is a huge plus. For those people the move away from Power PC was a bliss.

15 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

For a large share, probably yes. But do keep in mind that Apple has a significant share among very knowledgeable people like Anthony or anyone else for which the proximity of macOS to Linux is a huge plus.

Yeah, but I say this as an Apple user longer than most people reading this have been alive and a masters degree that I like to pretend makes me knowalgble about stuff, if not spelling, that those people aren't gonna be swayed by intel..or apple...marketing.

17 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

If high performance ARM chips and x86-64 emulation existed on Windows or Linux you can bet I'd be dropping Intel and AMD in a heartbeat.

Didn't I see that as one of the big "new features" of Windows 11? (and by "see" i mean, I thought I saw that as a bullet point in a list of marketing things).

---------

Something I've never gotten is the "more customizable" argument...though I guess as it's intell, its more "look at the neat shapes you can make a PC in" as opposed to the old "windows is more customizable" argument...As in the past 2 weeks I've had several challenges that are simple to solve on my mac with either open source but not user friendly to polished inexpensive commerical versions that are pretty much "can't be done on a PC to the level you want no matter how much you search" (I think I posted about both topics elsewhere so you can search my history if curious 🙂 )

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

The only problem I have is, that ARM-based Macs are completely unusable in many engineering B.Sc and M.Sc programmes. State of the art software for programming FPGA (Quartus or Vivado), for Schematics/Layout of PCBs (Altium), many widespread CAD software and other proprietary tools do not run on MacOS. With the old Intel Macs, dualbooting to Linux or Windows was possible and enabled these workflows also on a MacBook. 

As there are many hardware engineers working at Apple, I wonder how they deal with that problem. 

As many people realisticly could work inside a web browser - and therefore could perform everything on an iPad - the Mac Ecosystem is for most people a valid choice.

The Freedom™ many Windows and Linux users brag about is not needed by most people out there. 

5 minutes ago, Laborant said:

State of the art software for programming FPGA (Quartus or Vivado), for Schematics/Layout of PCBs (Altium), many widespread CAD software and other proprietary tools do not run on MacOS.

That indeed is a huge problem and the reason why I have to daily use Win10, macOS, Ubuntu and CentOS. Altium and CAD are a notoriously Windows-locked field but at least for Vivado there is widespread Linux support (well that is common for chip-design EDA tools) but still no Mac version.

1 hour ago, Laborant said:

As there are many hardware engineers working at Apple, I wonder how they deal with that problem. 

I expect apple is a large enough client for these vendors that apple can request source code access and likely has multiple in house modifications in place on these tools going back years anyways.   

19 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

why is Intel acting so nervous and proactive to convert that 10% of Mac users?

They are not, they're proactive to try and avoid that number growing with a stupid but likely unfortunately working "you wouldn't want to be seen in that group of losers, would you?" approach... 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 10/5/2021 at 8:02 PM, GoodBytes said:

Listen, we all know Intel is the best.

Only with Intel they could deliver such an amazing gaming video playback experience.

And only with Intel you can enjoy quality message boxes from their "fully supported DirectX/OpenGL" graphics chip which popup and crash your games saying that some DirectX or OpenGL call is unsupported.

Only with Intel...

Do you have this with Apple M1? No! And there you go.
You don't have the Intel eXperience(TM) on those devices!

Next time you go shopping for your next computer, be sure to ask for Intel CPU (don't worry, thanks to them making secret anti-consumer and monopolistic deals with OEMs to get special pricing if they go exclusive Intel, you won't have to worry about getting anything else than Intel in the PC space).

If it's so powerful that it can make Homer Simpson smart, I'm sold. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

19 hours ago, Laborant said:

The only problem I have is, that ARM-based Macs are completely unusable in many engineering B.Sc and M.Sc programmes. State of the art software for programming FPGA (Quartus or Vivado), for Schematics/Layout of PCBs (Altium), many widespread CAD software and other proprietary tools do not run on MacOS. With the old Intel Macs, dualbooting to Linux or Windows was possible and enabled these workflows also on a MacBook. 

As many people realisticly could work inside a web browser - and therefore could perform everything on an iPad - the Mac Ecosystem is for most people a valid choice.

The Freedom™ many Windows and Linux users brag about is not needed by most people out there. 

I thought I heard somewhere that a Linux was being done for apple silicon stuff but that it wasn’t out yet.  I don’t know if that would help you or not.  Might be a dual boot would be needed. IRRC It was at one time possible to do dual boots with something called multibeast which was not an apple designed app. Doesn’t mean building such a thing is still possible though.  That might be part of the hold up.  I don’t know much about it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

IRRC It was at one time possible to do dual boots with something called multibeast which was not an apple designed app.

That was for hackintosh

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought I heard somewhere that a Linux was being done for apple silicon stuff but that it wasn’t out yet.

It's already out, tho without an installer, and without hardware acceleration

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

The weeks away thing is interesting.  I’ve been wondering more about the gpu stuff than the cpu stuff.  Apple silicon apparently can run a lot of x86 stuff, which implies at least some games. M1 is still an APU though even though it’s apparently good for an APU.  I want more power than any current APU can provide though.  Like 3d 1440p high in a game kind of power.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:58 PM, saltycaramel said:

Summary

Intel recently published a supposed “social experiment” (judge by yourself if the reactions look genuine or scripted) in which Apple fans (allegedly) are confronted with the amazing world of customization, cheap memory upgrades after the fact and wild form factors that lies outside of the Apple bubble. 

Video

My thoughts

We are now just a few weeks away from the 10-core M1X Macs (2 Macbook Pros and possibly 1 Mac Mini), the timing of this ad may not be a coincidence. I see cringe, “nerdy” tone deafness, failing to acknowledge what the Apple “spell” is all about. And honestly faux social experiments belong to clickbaity youtubers, not to a company at the pinnacle of chip design. I get that PR is a separate team from engineering, but I thought the new leadership at Intel was supposed to stop it with this kind of self-deprecating smell-of-desperation PR stunts.  

Also, since already 90% of desktop/laptop users live outside of the Mac bubble, why is Intel acting so nervous and proactive to convert that 10% of Mac users? What are they afraid of? Are they connecting the dots about the M1, the M1X and the M2’s hard to beat perf-per-watt and perf-per-buck?

The more Intel and MS embarrass themselves with this kind of ad campaigns, the more I know Apple is onto something with these new custom silicon Macs.

Well, this ad has convinced me to switch to PC! They seem so much better! I guess I will order a CPU. 

*watches ltt/gn review*
Yes, a ryzen 5 5600X and AMD RX 6700 please. Ah, yes. I want to build a PC with AMD parts in it.

THANKS INTEL!!!!!! I LOVE MY AMD PC!!

Would have grabbed an Intel powered laptop anyway. Since it's the only way to get thunderbolt on the only pc format where it makes sense to have it. Apple dropped the ball with the removal of bootcamp, so a no go even if apple silicon becomes the fastest chip of the world. Plus apple anti repair philosophy don't help it either, thank god for the likes of framework, just need to start shipping to Italy.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The weeks away thing is interesting.  I’ve been wondering more about the gpu stuff than the cpu stuff.  Apple silicon apparently can run a lot of x86 stuff, which implies at least some games. M1 is still an APU though even though it’s apparently good for an APU.  I want more power than any current APU can provide though.  Like 3d 1440p high in a game kind of power.  

Of the software that I use that is x86 it runs everything with no problems (or at least with no more problems than that software had on my intel mac, I'm looking at you OneDrive you piece of shit software).

But to be honest for work I do the software that is not AS native it's mainly AutoCAD, MS Teams and OneDrive (and the odd session of some other software that is not native i e TeamViewer from time to time etc). The rest is office suite that is native, outlook etc.

The only game I do play on my computer is Civ 6 (and it is x86) through Steam and that runs good and round times are waaaaaaay faster than my old iMac and I can run on higher graphics settings (the iMac had a GTX780M so it was an old graphics card, but it was still very much faster than the intel integrated graphics on the newest intel macs).  

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The GPU in the M1X will come in 2 varieties

- twice as big as the GPU in the M1

- four times as big as the GPU in the M1

Plus it’ll have better cooling being on more Premium/Pro machines.

Plus if it’s based on the A15 design, it should also carry some nice “IPC” (let’s borrow this expression from the CPU world) upgrades over the A14-based M1 design.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16983/the-apple-a15-soc-performance-review-faster-more-efficient/3

So all things considered the top M1X GPU could very well be more than 4x faster than the M1 GPU.

As a side note, even the latest xbox and ps5 use a SoC/APU approach.