won a 3080 on new egg shuffle! but I've never used water cooling.. help?

Majew

I won a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC WATERFORCE WB 10G (rev2.0) (https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gamingoc-wb-10gd-rev2-0/p/N82E16814932478?Item=N82E16814932478) but I've never set up water cooling in a pc before. I'm having trouble finding info on this card and what parts I should be using. I have lot of room in my case and my CPU is already water cooling with a Corsair iCUE H150i Elite so I just need to set up the new GPU. Do I need fittings? what size? what kinda tubing should I use? Should I use a 240mm radiator or since I have room should I install a 360 mm? I'm struggling to find answers online so I thought I would ask here. 

Whatever G1/4" fittings you want. 99.99% of all watercooling products use G1/4" fittings. Would be a weird coincidence if some generic G1/4" fitting wouldn't fit. 

You'll need a pump or a pump-res and a radiator, the bigger the better. A 240 would be enough, a 360 better and it might look better if you fill a spot entirely. Each component needs 2 fittings and maybe more angled fittings. Personally I'd sell the H150i and just add a waterblock. Will perform better and CPU blocks are sort of cheap (60-80 bucks).

I'd recommend the EK classic fittings if you want to save a bit of money, the Quantum fittings are highly overpriced (just like ALL other newer EK products). The classic fittings are more affordable. Alphacool fittings are also fine but has less adaptor options. Bitspower is the top shelf product ... those cost their weight in gold. 

Bykski and Barrow products are fine as well, quality is okay, price is great. They get the job done.

You'll need to prep and clean the radiator(s) from production gunk and for easier usage some pre-mixed coolant.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

thank you! Thats what I needed to really start researching 🙂

just go with

• 16mm OD soft tubing ek zmt or alphacool tpv, both r epdm tubing
  • any 16mm soft tube compression fitting, i use barrow FBHKN-3/8-THICK
  • any ddc or d5 pump-res avoid any1 with alu touching coolant, i'm using corsair xd5
  • 360mm copper rad, i'm using bykski CR-RD360RC-TK-V2
  • t-splitter & ball valve for draining your coolant
  • coolants; ek cryofuel clear, mayhems x1, corsair XL5 & etc

if yer adding cpu into your loop i suggest adding a 2nd rad

240mm, 280mm or 360mm copper rad is fine

don't use alu & copper in the same loop, will cause corrosion unless yer using around 60% glycol coolant (AIO uses this mix)

optionals:

• 45/90 degrees adapters
  • stop plugs
  • coolant temp sensor (only if your mobo has temp sensor header)
  • air leak tester
Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to switch the blue connection the underside of the GPU. I don't like that the red section is passing in front of my ram but I'm not sure how to get that line back to the radiator without kinking the line. I have to go over or under my ram so I need to create some 90s and it seems like I will need a bunch of fittings to make work, is that right? 537226026_firstrunpoints.thumb.jpg.d1e1649889a83d98f47d52ede0ee8bbe.jpg

Look into extenders and rotary adapters. Extra costs though. Thats how do you clean runs with soft tubing. Sometimes i even use dual 90 g1/4, t-fittings, q-ball flow splitters. Even koolance quick disconnects.

This evening every game I've tried to play has crashed and I'm seeing this in my GPU... What is this build up? I've only had this for like a week?! 

20210921_012430.jpg

5 hours ago, Section31 said:

That's fluid residue. EKWB Solution by chance? 

no, I used Hydro X Series XL8 Performance Coolant from corsair. (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Coolant/Hydro-X-Series-XL8-Performance-Coolant-1L/p/CX-9060006-WW) Some one suggested flushing it out with isopropyl alcohol, I was thinking white vinegar. suggestions? Do I drain the whole loop and then filll back up with one of those and let it run for a bit or do I just run it through the GPU? I have some parts coming to make my runs look pretty and I want to get the GPU clean at the same time.  

52 minutes ago, Majew said:

Some one suggested flushing it out with isopropyl alcohol

Whole loop? It’ll be waste of ipa. If you want to clean it with ipa just take it apart and then clean it

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

50 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Whole loop? It’ll be waste of ipa. If you want to clean it with ipa just take it apart and then clean it

Oh I didn't realize I could just take the water block apart and clean it that way.

23 hours ago, Majew said:

This evening every game I've tried to play has crashed and I'm seeing this in my GPU... What is this build up? I've only had this for like a week?! 

20210921_012430.jpg

what gpu temps when it crashed 

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

If you flush with IPA, the acrylic will get damaged, whoever suggested this knows nothing.

7 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

what gpu temps when it crashed 

Temps don't seem to the issue, it's never going over 65 degrees.

57 minutes ago, For Science! said:

If you flush with IPA, the acrylic will get damaged, whoever suggested this knows nothing.

58 minutes ago, For Science! said:

What would you suggest?

Just now, Majew said:

What would you suggest?

The build up is not so serious imo, just take it apart and clean it either now or next when you maintain the loop, I do not think there is a major issue with the coolant. Probably just some minor reaction to impurities within the loop. It will likely not come back in the next time you put the loop together

4 hours ago, For Science! said:

The build up is not so serious imo, just take it apart and clean it either now or next when you maintain the loop, I do not think there is a major issue with the coolant. Probably just some minor reaction to impurities within the loop. It will likely not come back in the next time you put the loop together

I'm going to redo some of the lines this weekend, what works best to clean that build up and the lines?

19 minutes ago, Majew said:

I'm going to redo some of the lines this weekend, what works best to clean that build up and the lines?

The build up probably a toothbrush at most will take care of, the tubing may be more challenging and it may be easier just to replace it if a flush through doesn’t clear up. Soft tubing has a lot of chemicals in them and can cause buildup/generally should be considered disposable.

18 hours ago, Majew said:

isopropyl alcohol,

jay2cents made a video were he tried using it and it worked.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

And he also said don't use ISO on the acrylic, just the copper/nickel.

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

It's a solvent and the gases alone can make acrylic crack. It's absolutely unsuitable. You can clean the metal part of your blocks with it but there isn't anything in your loop that would require strong solvents. Soap water and a toothbrush are sufficient. Only the radiators need stronger detergents but again: isopropylic alcohol is not the right choice.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

8 hours ago, bowrilla said:

It's a solvent and the gases alone can make acrylic crack. It's absolutely unsuitable. You can clean the metal part of your blocks with it but there isn't anything in your loop that would require strong solvents. Soap water and a toothbrush are sufficient. Only the radiators need stronger detergents but again: isopropylic alcohol is not the right choice.

I'm going to add some fittings and make the lineslook better in general this weekend. I think I have enough tubing left to just replace everything. So I'll just clean the hell out of what I have and take a toothbrush to the GPU and hopefully everything will just be cleaner in general. 

Thanks for the advice everyone, this has been really fun setting up but also frustrating since there's so much "information" out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you were able to get in watercooling! It's an awesome next step.

If you have time for a few questions as I have this card coming in a few days (also a Shuffle winner). What case are you using? I see you were able to horizontally mount the card. Based on what I can see it looks like you're working in an O11 dynamic. Just want to make sure it's not an XL.

Second, I've read that removing the block can be difficult due to the faceplate. Did you run into any issues if you did open it up?

Cheers, Jay.