With a powerful laser blast, scientists near a nuclear fusion milestone

Lightwreather
On 8/20/2021 at 2:43 PM, Bitter said:

We'll have fusion power plants before Michelin gets that Tweel out for retail sale. That thing has been "1-2 years away' for the last 20 years.

According to this, you can buy them right now?

https://tweel.michelinman.com/

https://tweel.michelinman.com/michelin-tweel-family-of-products

Looks like smaller vehicles only though - utility vehicles, ATV's, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Doctor Evil GIFs | Tenor

when can I start building my evil death rays and hold the world hostage for 1 million dollars?

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

According to this, you can buy them right now?

https://tweel.michelinman.com/

https://tweel.michelinman.com/michelin-tweel-family-of-products

Looks like smaller vehicles only though - utility vehicles, ATV's, etc.

Passenger cars is what I meant by retail sales. Yes they're available for commercial and industrial uses, you cannot buy one for your car and yet they're 1 maybe 2 years away at most every 3 or 4 years. 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, Bitter said:

Basically anything that comes out of the ground is radioactive. If you want a mind blower read up on tabacco/cigarettes and radioactivity. Spoilers, Alpha emitters are extra bad INSIDE your body.

The real 🤯 is that per unit the amount of coal ash produced is 100 more radioactive than material that's shielded from a nuclear power plant. Or, last figure ran put that to a total of 5,000+ tons of uranium and 15,000+ tons of thorium.

It should be stated however that in the US and parts of Europe, coal fired plants have scrubbers and the ash is resold in a secondary market (it has value). But in other parts overseas, that goes right out the stack into the atmosphere.

The farmland around these coal plants, I would be afraid to put a Geiger counter to the soil 😨. Not sure I'd like what I find.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

The real 🤯 is that per unit the amount of coal ash produced is 100 more radioactive than material that's shielded from a nuclear power plant. Or, last figure ran put that to a total of 5,000+ tons of uranium and 15,000+ tons of thorium.

It should be stated however that in the US and parts of Europe, coal fired plants have scrubbers and the ash is resold in a secondary market (it has value). But in other parts overseas, that goes right out the stack into the atmosphere.

The farmland around these coal plants, I would be afraid to put a Geiger counter to the soil 😨. Not sure I'd like what I find.

That's why that big flyash dam burst here in the southeastern US was so bad, it spread a whole lot of that across a river valley and watershed.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:22 PM, J-from-Nucleon said:

For an almost imperceptible fraction of a second... the power of the sun in a tiny hot spot no wider than a human hair....which takes up the space of three football fields....lasers there were focused onto a target the size of a BB...

What type of American units are these? Can science writes just use the SI system? Please. 

45 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

What type of American units are these? Can science writes just use the SI system? Please. 

What’s easier to visualize for most people, 75 μm or the width of a human hair? 16054 square meters or three football fields? 6mm or the size of a BB? This is a news article not a research paper, there is more focus on data being understandable for regular people rather than being as specific as possible. There are situations when complaining about the SI system not being used is completely warranted, I don’t see how this is one of them. As far as I know scientists for the most part do use SI, it’s the general public that doesn’t.

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

What’s easier to visualize for most people, 75 μm or the width of a human hair? 16054 square meters or three football fields? 6mm or the size of a BB? This is a news article not a research paper, there is more focus on data being understandable for regular people rather than being as specific as possible. There are situations when complaining about the SI system not being used is completely warranted, I don’t see how this is one of them. As far as I know scientists for the most part do use SI, it’s the general public that doesn’t.

For those of us used to metric/SI visualizing these isn't a problem at all. 3 football fields literally means nothing to me because do you mean football or football?

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

What even is a BB?

I can understand why you'd want to use real life similes for some measurements, but this seems too US centric.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

For those of us used to metric/SI visualizing these isn't a problem at all. 3 football fields literally means nothing to me because do you mean football or football?

Clearly we must set a new international measuring standard - basketball courts!

4 hours ago, ouroesa said:

America and 2 other countries are the only ones that don't use some form of the metric system

And that pains me

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

No, the new international standard stupid science article shall be......

On 8/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Caroline said:

California: we've made a miniature sun, this can led to safer and more efficient nuclear energy

My city's power plant: haha coal conveyor goes brrr

This is great, nuclear power is nice but uranium is expensive and, well, there's radiation.

Bruh…fusion doesn’t use uranium.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

21 hours ago, The_russian said:

"75 μm or the width of a human hair?" Neither, maybe 0.075mm or roughly 1/10th of a mm? Hair thickness varies wildly (17 μm to 181 μm) so this could be out by as much as a factor of 10.

"16054 square meters or three football fields?" Neither, maybe 1.6ha? Or 125m x 125m? Or 100m x 160m? This will give you a better indication of shape too.  I don't know the size of a football field tbh and if I did, this would be useless unless it is the width and length of one.

Sidenote: it would benefit from some delineation such as '16,054m²'

'Most' people won't be interested in this news article and the anyone who is able to follow this article, should be comfortable with basic units of measurements.

Regardless, I was just poking fun and was not meant to be taken seriously. 

18 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

America and 2 other countries are the only ones that don't use some form of the metric system

And that pains me

Don't forget about those lying pommies too whio say they use metric but mostly does not.

18 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

And that pains me

It is hard to change systems, it causes confusion and accidents, even deaths.

nice to see LLNL doing something, I know they spend all their focus on nuclear stuff

23 hours ago, ouroesa said:

they exist but this a press release for the GP who aren't on a technical level. LBNL does the same dumb down for the public

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

It is hard to change systems, it causes confusion and accidents, even deaths.

Them not changing the system has also caused deaths - a certain spacecraft failure comes to mind.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

nice to see LLNL doing something, I know they spend all their focus on nuclear stuff

they exist but this a press release for the GP who aren't on a technical level. LBNL does the same dumb down for the public

As mentioned above, I was just joking. 

But this brings up a good point - maybe we should stop dumbing things down quite as much as we do because now we have 99% of the populous feeling they have an opinion on something (myself would be a good example here) which they by all rights do not understand and might not have the ability to. The other 1% actually understands these things but are by far the minority so they are rarely heard (refer global warming, anti vaxxers, et al)

15 hours ago, ouroesa said:

But this brings up a good point - maybe we should stop dumbing things down quite as much as we do because now we have 99% of the populous feeling they have an opinion on something (myself would be a good example here) which they by all rights do not understand and might not have the ability to. The other 1% actually understands these things but are by far the minority so they are rarely heard (refer global warming, anti vaxxers, et al)

I can start talking about the crazy things we do at LBNL
I'll try to make it a habit of making tech news topics about them

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

Yes PLEASE!

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Please do. My inner, (and outer), science and engineering nerds are drooling right now.

Quantum Break when?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 8/20/2021 at 9:05 PM, valdyrgramr said:

Didn't this happen in Spiderman 2?

Imagine if Octavius didn't turn to crime to fund his nuclear research. He would have been a competitor to Stark industries.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition