Peoples reluctance to pay for services they use 90% of the time and instead suffer through ads. I don’t get it

Srius1

I use an adblocker...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

There is a whole different aspect to the whole comparison between paying for netflix or for YT. WIth netflix you have to pay to even get access to the content. With YT you only pay to get rid of ads, which can also be achieved with installing AdBlock Plus, which only takes 10 seconds.

To be clear, i'm not against paying for enternainment. I'm a lifetime premium member of nexusmods.com. If i enjoy what the site offers and i like the people behind it i am happy to support. But with YT Premium the support is just going to the wrong people. That's the main problem imo. Yes, YouTubers say a premium viewer is worth much more than several people watching ads. But there is no transparency how much of the money is given to the channels you watch and actually want to support.

Basically with AdBlock i get the best of both worlds: Ads removed without paying Google a dime. I just have to stand them when on my TV. But it doesn't bother me much there because i sleep 90% of the time YouTube is running on my TV 😄

Dude YouTube creators GET the $ from YouTube premium subscriptions . You can’t say you like the content then say you want it for free. Why do you pay for nexus mods? You can get that for free too . You are like many others and don’t see YouTube as entertainment just Becuase it’s not on Netflix or made by a studio. And what phone do you use? If you use android, guess what,you are being tracked and data sold. If you use Apple,same thing but less. 

and Adblock doesn’t work on tvs, phones, and mobiles as easy as a whole $4/month.

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

21 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

I’m still uninterested in having software running on my machine that I don’t want and I consider the entire OS to be in that category

Any device I hook up to the TV/monitor will have far more smarts than the TV and will do a better job than the TV

i need my TV do a few things-turn on, display inputs, adjust settings and not break

LG may not be the worst offender in placing ads in their Smart OS but they certainly retain the option with a firmware “update”

I'm actually of the opinion that the internal apps on a smart TV (at least for me) work better than using any other device to do the job. Like the example i gave on the first page: Netflix just can't play HDR content on PC, the TV's internal app can even do Dolby Vision. But to each their own i guess. I like the smart features my TV brings to the table and the fact that they can replace a lot of additional hardware you'd need otherwise. But if you don't want to use them, you don't have to.

18 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

Dude YouTube creators GET the $ from YouTube premium subscriptions . You can’t say you like the content then say you want it for free. Why do you pay for nexus mods? You can get that for free too . You are like many others and don’t see YouTube as entertainment just Becuase it’s not on Netflix or made by a studio. And what phone do you use? If you use android, guess what,you are being tracked and data sold. If you use Apple,same thing but less. 

and Adblock doesn’t work on tvs, phones, and mobiles as easy as a whole $4/month.

Where do you have the information from? (Regarding who get's the money from YT premium) Care to show us any source?

I didn't say that the creators get nothing. I said i'm repelled by the lack of transparency. (From all i know $11.99 will go to YT, and the other $0.01 will go towards the creator's ad revenue. And that's even a realistic amount judging by each ad viewer being worth fractions of a cent)

I do see YT as entertainment. In fact it's one of the biggest sources of entertainment for me. But 90% of the YT content i watch is on PC, where i have the option to use my adblocker. And paying the money just to have ads removed on the other 10% when i watch stuff on my phone or TV is just not worth it for me.

Yes you get nexusmods for free. But they are dependant on donations to keep the site running. Plus the site itself barely has ads if you want to use it for free. They get my money because i like what they do and it goes to them directly. The fact that they don't try to annoy you into a premium membership is one of the reasons why i'm more inclined to support them. (It's not what you say, but how you say it.)

If YT tries even harder to annoy me into premium in the future, i will be less and less prone to give in.

It's not about the money for me, but the principle.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I'm actually of the opinion that the internal apps on a smart TV (at least for me) work better than using any other device to do the job. Like the example i gave on the first page: Netflix just can't play HDR content on PC, the TV's internal app can even do Dolby Vision. But to each their own i guess. I like the smart features my TV brings to the table and the fact that they can replace a lot of additional hardware you'd need otherwise. But if you don't want to use them, you don't have to.

Where do you have the information from? (Regarding who get's the money from YT premium) Care to show us any source?

I didn't say that the creators get nothing. I said i'm repelled by the lack of transparency. (From all i know $11.99 will go to YT, and the other $0.01 will go towards the creator's ad revenue. And that's even a realistic amount judging by each ad viewer being worth fractions of a cent)

I do see YT as entertainment. In fact it's one of the biggest sources of entertainment for me. But 90% of the YT content i watch is on PC, where i have the option to use my adblocker. And paying the money just to have ads removed on the other 10% when i watch stuff on my phone or TV is just not worth it for me.

Yes you get nexusmods for free. But they are dependant on donations to keep the site running. Plus the site itself barely has ads if you want to use it for free. They get my money because i like what they do and it goes to them directly. The fact that they don't try to annoy you into a premium membership is one of the reasons why i'm more inclined to support them. (It's not what you say, but how you say it.)

If YT tries even harder to annoy me into premium in the future, i will be less and less prone to give in.

I definitely respect the principles being your deciding motivator-same for me

I might change my tune when I consume more HDR content, not an issue for me at the moment since I don’t have much HDR stuff to watch 😭

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

A firestick 4k can also do HDR and Dolby vision and has tons of apps and is super fast. Your comment about tvs having better apps than a 3rd party device is outdated and incorrect. My 2018 Samsung 4k has pretty good apps and is fairly fast. However it’s significantly slower than my firestick 4k. Would you know the difference if you never compared both? Prob not. Also my tv remote works to control the firestick so not like I have to juggle 2 different remotes. 

and yes you can use Adblock on pc but then you don’t give the creators any $. People who depend on YouTube $ for thier job. So you say you want to support people who make content (since you pay for nexus mods) but then you say you don’t want to support YouTube creators. Are YouTube creators less talented or less deserving of a few bucks just Becuase google owns it? And research it,tech deals for one says YouTube premium members pay him MUCH more than ppl who just watch for free with ads. I guess I don’t get why you don’t just not pay nexus mods either….

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

22 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Explains YouTube premium. 

51 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

It does if you use pihole or something similar-it’s best to create a problem and then offer a solution, guaranteed money

22 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

A firestick 4k can also do HDR and Dolby vision and has tons of apps and is super fast. Your comment about tvs having better apps than a 3rd party device is outdated and incorrect. My 2018 Samsung 4k has pretty good apps and is fairly fast. However it’s significantly slower than my firestick 4k. Would you know the difference if you never compared both? Prob not. Also my tv remote works to control the firestick so not like I have to juggle 2 different remotes. 

and yes you can use Adblock on pc but then you don’t give the creators any $. People who depend on YouTube $ for thier job. So you say you want to support people who make content (since you pay for nexus mods) but then you say you don’t want to support YouTube creators. Are YouTube creators less talented or less deserving of a few bucks just Becuase google owns it? And research it,tech deals for one says YouTube premium members pay him MUCH more than ppl who just watch for free with ads. I guess I don’t get why you don’t just not pay nexus mods either….

You are incredibly hostile here, if he doesn’t want the expense of added devices, he is entitled to that

And you wouldn’t catch me dead using any device made by google or Amazon without my stripping the software out of it to be replaced with something less tracking prone

that might also be a reason why they avoid other devices

For me in regards to youtube, its the principle of the matter. Your paying a sub to not be annoyed with ads. YT is effectively annoying you into submission, which i for one will not submit to, instead its better to just 'block' the ads either via using a HTPC setup , or something similar to the 'pi-hole'.

As for support for content creators, if a viewer regularly watches a specific creator they can do that via other means, if they use youtube to watch random videos where they do not regularly watch a specific creator more than a handful of times, the loss of ad revenue isnt worth mentioning.

Ofc the argument against that is,, "well if everyone had that attitude the creators wouldnt get any money at all", to which i'd respond: They would find other ways..or rather YT would. And lets face reality, 'everyone' isnt going to build a HTPC or setup a pi-hole like device to avoid ads, most wouldnt even know what HTPC stands for and what a pi-hole is in the 1st place, so the argument is pointless.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

In my case I hate all these subscriptions and I'm stingy about which ones I want to pay for. After a while, you can say to yourself, oh it's just Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Spotify, iCloud, Patreon, Adobe, CCleaner, Roon, what's one more? But it all adds up. If you can tolerate ads and avoid a subscription, then go for it. 

14 hours ago, Srius1 said:

I know quite a few people who ONLY watch YouTube as their entertainment on their  tvs. Just YouTube, that’s it. They had recently bought a $800k house and had spent a ton of $ on thier oled tv, speakers, etc. yet when they watched YouTube, they’d suffer through the ads before every video. I mentioned I have YouTube premium and for $4/month ($18/5 accounts), they would basically have no ads on thier tv, thier phones/tablets etc. I’ve tried multiple times to get them to sub as $ is really no issue for them. The response is, “eh I don’t really care and I can just skip the ad “.

same with their music. While at the house and having music on, every song, another ad from Pandora or YouTube. It’s extremely distracting and whenever I say anything , it’s “o you notice the ads, I don’t”.

This is why they can afford nice things and you can't. It's like that argument about "My poor friends always pay the bill for dinner, my rich friends only pay for themselves."

My brother did that for years and only recently realized how much money he was spending because he's a dipshit. Now he only pays for himself, is out of debt, and doesn't stress out every time he goes out to eat because he can afford it.

It's a 5 second ad. If they started paying for every subscription service they'd be paying a couple hundred dollars every year to save a few minutes of time. YouTube, Pandora/Spotify, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc. That alone is ~$450/year. Actually, I banked on YT being $50/year at $5/month, if you go for your suggested $18/month for 5 accounts, YT alone would be $216/year, on top of the other $400 of subscriptions, providing they have a $100/year option. That's $616/year.

#Muricaparrotgang

Having a 800k house doesn't mean they aren't paycheck-to-paycheck.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Youtube Premium is like $11.99 a month. I just dont see the value in it to be honest. 90% of my Youtube watching is on my MacBook and I have an ad blocker. What little I watch on my TV I can tolerate the ads. Plus I got a few video services I sub to anyway.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i find it amusing that in this thread and the other one where they make the same arguments, OP is trying to justify it that it's only $4 a month, but it's not is it? $12 a month ($15AUD for me) OR $18 a month for 5 accounts. Now i don't know about the rest, but i only have 1 account i watch youtube on. So unless you're sharing your subscription and getting them to pay YOU $4 a month to cover their portion, it's still not $4 a month.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

i find it amusing that in this thread and the other one where they make the same arguments, OP is trying to justify it that it's only $4 a month, but it's not is it? $12 a month ($15AUD for me) OR $18 a month for 5 accounts. Now i don't know about the rest, but i only have 1 account i watch youtube on. So unless you're sharing your subscription and getting them to pay YOU $4 a month to cover their portion, it's still not $4 a month.

You don’t have any friends or family who also use YouTube?

9 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

doesn't matter, like i said:

"unless you're sharing your subscription and getting them to pay YOU $4 a month to cover their portion, it's still not $4 a month"

My partner uses adblock

My brother uses adblock and is technology smarter than me, so he would have ways to block more stuff

my mother doesn't watch youtube

I don't want friends to pester me if i decide to cancel my sub. 

I see stories all the time about the same thing but with netflix instead.

If they're not my partner, why would i spend more money than i have to each month, just so some friends can get some benefit out of it?

Which again, unless i'm charging them for their portion, i'm paying $18USD instead of $12USD for literally no reason than to brag about how i only have to pay $4 for each youtube account for premium.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Idk, for me it's like... If I spend $8 on YouTube monthly, I could eat 2-3 meals with that money easily

That's 3% of my monthly food cost

I don't like recurring charges, unless it's for a good reason or it's something that is absolutely worth it

Watching ads is borderline annoying on YouTube now, but there's many ways to get rid of it (including built in AdBlock on some VPN services I think, which gives more benefits at probably cheaper price)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

21 hours ago, Srius1 said:

I did use a Fire TV Stick 4K on an older Hisense non-smart 4K TV before i got my current smart TV, so i know quite well how responsive it is. And from what i remember it was okay, but nothing breathtaking. Most current high-end smart TVs have a much more responsive UI. Not to mention LG's magic remote functionality, which is very intuitive and fast to use. 

21 hours ago, Srius1 said:

Just because i support one creator doesn't mean i have to support them all. That's like saying because you support one charity you have to support all the others or else it means you don't like what they do. I just keep my donations and support to people that are IN MY OPINION more deserving of the money. That doesn't mean they have to be deserving from your point of view.

And if i really want to support a creator, i can just donate to them directly in most cases, completely going around the YT premium thing aswell.

Again, YT premium just doesn't offer me anything that i can also achieve in other ways. Be it support for the creators i like or ads.

5 hours ago, Srius1 said:

The main problem is that you have to chase after your money all the time. I use my netflix account together with 4 close friends. Even though they're close friends i constantly have to check if they already paid for netflix this month. It's more hassle than clicking "skip ad" on a few videos. I can only imagine how bad the money chase would get if i'd have more services with one account for me and my friends. I was often tempted to lock everyone out again and pay the whole subsription myself so i don't have to worry about them paying me.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

The main problem is that you have to chase after your money all the time. I use my netflix account together with 4 close friends. Even though they're close friends i constantly have to check if they already paid for netflix this month. It's more hassle than clicking "skip ad" on a few videos. I can only imagine how bad the money chase would get if i'd have more services with one account for me and my friends. I was often tempted to lock everyone out again and pay the whole subsription myself so i don't have to worry about them paying me.

This is so true lol, even in more official settings like associations and whatever I always encounter that the people who like to transfer manually suspiciously coincide with the group that often "forgets" to pay.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

23 hours ago, Srius1 said:

A firestick 4k can also do HDR and Dolby vision and has tons of apps and is super fast.

Super fast you say….. My 4K fire stick is nowhere close to being super fast. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:29 AM, Srius1 said:

Do you know poeple like this? Thoughts?

Ofc i know, that's me

I'm used to get ads on my tv, more often than not it's probably a good 3-5 minutes, sometimes even 10 minutes

So 5-20 second of YouTube ads is more than tolerable, i would be lying if I'm not annoyed by it, but atleast i have the time to "watch" it

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Youtube has the most entertainment value for me so I have no problem swinging $12/month to skip ads. :shrug:

If they really don't care then I guess they have no reason to pay.

I do care but I find other ways to sidestep the ads.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I will never pay for something that is free, youtube ads are annoying as fuck but i deal with it because that premium shit is crazy expensive. Pandora, i don't even notice the ads when they play, it reminds me of listening to the radio growing up. Movie and TV i download from torrents, i haven't had cable since 2008 and i go to the movies a few times a year if i really want to see a movie or if i download it and its that good, like jungle cruise that shit was fucking amazing and i loved it. since it was free to download i will be going to see it in the theatre with friends in a couple weeks.

In my case, I just found alternative services to youtube. For what I watch, Rumble and Vimeo work great. I do watch youtube if I'm in a bind and need quick directions on something I'm working on. I've pretty much been youtube free for the past 4-5 months and am doing just fine...LOL