A COMPLETELY Upgradeable Laptop?

AlexTheGreatish
1 hour ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Most people are buying the DIY for the cost savings because they are installing Linux.

That's an bold assumption. Most people buy the DIY because it is cheaper and they can assemble it themselves, no matter what OS they intend to use. I still don't get why you are talking about the OS though, since its price has never been included in any pricing related comments for the DIY version.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Please follow the Community Standards when posting.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This could finally replace my Latitude E6410 laptop, that is also easily serviceable. I'm using stuff like laptops for a long time, ideally 15 to 20 years. Doesn't work that way in reality. Since 1998 this is already my third laptop.

Very excited for this, but I probably wait until they ship the thing with a German keyboard layout. Or at least the clear one.

I'm maybe even more excited for all the ita-design possibilities and maybe an AMD CPU.

4 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

That's an bold assumption. Most people buy the DIY because it is cheaper and they can assemble it themselves, no matter what OS they intend to use. I still don't get why you are talking about the OS though, since its price has never been included in any pricing related comments for the DIY version.

Huh the OS adds cost that actually make the DIY version cost more. If your installing windows 10 and are buying the base model there is literally zero reason to buy diy. The OS the foundation of the discussion of the cost of the base model since your paying more for it. Infact one of the main reasons given for the DIY model was Linux users.

Screenshot_20210731-152852_Brave.thumb.jpg.0eb5c5a537e5514a0a224cade546ade0.jpg

Has anyone considered its water proofing compared to other devices? I mean, the more easy it is to take apart the more easy water can get inside it, right?

I feel like if I accidentally spilled water on the keyboard it will fry everything.

it's not quite there though, cant replace mobo? once every part is interchangeable it's exactly what the world needs and should become global standard, if anyone cares at all about preventing landfills

Need's GPU add-ins and mechanical keyboard options too, perhaps larger or more expensive battery options

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

7 hours ago, Daethz said:

it's not quite there though, cant replace mobo? once every part is interchangeable it's exactly what the world needs and should become global standard, if anyone cares at all about preventing landfills

Need's GPU add-ins and mechanical keyboard options too, perhaps larger or more expensive battery options

The motherboard will be replaceable at some point. It comes with a new CPU soldered on.

8 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

Has anyone considered its water proofing compared to other devices? I mean, the more easy it is to take apart the more easy water can get inside it, right?

I feel like if I accidentally spilled water on the keyboard it will fry everything.

I do wish brands could add more water proofing than "look at our design and how flashy we are"...

Other laptops are not that water proof either, and then you have cooling on higher end units were its going to need air and a lot of open holes.

Not sure about all keyboards, some suck, some should be better when it comes to spilling if the laptop really wants to be as moveable as they claim.

and some keyboards might soak up all the damage but have an easier to replace keyboard? (not sure if that was from some lenovo laptops)

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

I do wish brands could add more water proofing than "look at our design and how flashy we are"...

Other laptops are not that water proof either, and then you have cooling on higher end units were its going to need air and a lot of open holes.

Not sure about all keyboards, some suck, some should be better when it comes to spilling if the laptop really wants to be as moveable as they claim.

and some keyboards might soak up all the damage but have an easier to replace keyboard? (not sure if that was from some lenovo laptops)

Dell has some rugged laptops for professionals but I can see why it would be tricky to implement on regular laptops since you need holes for the air to pass through, and ports. I guess you can't have everything.

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Dell has some rugged laptops for professionals but I can see why it would be tricky to implement on regular laptops since you need holes for the air to pass through, and ports. I guess you can't have everything.

for this port thing in modular form, it might be better and/or worse.

since you can just swap the outer one if it fails or breaks, but worse if the inner part is having problems

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Yup, they were from Lenovo. The keyboards had some spill channels for the water hitting the keyboard and trackpad to flow through it without damaging the board.
Not sure why it didn't become an industry standard. 

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

for this port thing in modular form, it might be better and/or worse.

since you can just swap the outer one if it fails or breaks, but worse if the inner part is having problems

Yes that would be bad. But if this is soldered to the motherboard, then you can upgrade the mobo at some point.

6 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Yes that would be bad. But if this is soldered to the motherboard, then you can upgrade the mobo at some point.

Or take it to your local repair shop (maybe you need to send it in the post to a skilled shop if you don't have a local one) they can desolder  without issue and attach new ones.  Solder is not a permanent glue it is designed to be removable (some vendors will do other nasty stuff like glue components down that is much harder to detach them but just soldered is really not that big an issue). Swapping out a port or memory die will likely take a reap shop 1/2 hour if that.

Eh, no dGPU, not worth my attention.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

For a product that is specifically made to target the group of people, who care for their devices being reparable (aka the enthusiasts), the specs of this machine definitely are more towards the general consumer.  To me this looks like a small/ easy to transport machine with good battery life for some presenter/salesman/general light home use BUT not for some engineer like me for example who needs both strong CPU and GPU for the software they use.

I'm definitely interested into the concept, but will wait for future generations. Hopefully Framework's decision to target the bigger consumer market with lower specs will keep them afloat to make more products in the future.

I think that this video has been out for long enough, that you could put the name of the laptop and more importantly, the company, in the title. I really thing they need to put their name out there, so having it right in the title would be very helpful and would be a great help when navigating the search results.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, Jaegan said:

I hope for a followup video talking about how well compatibility is for linux.  I love the modularity of this, but have no desire whatsoever to run Windows.

You might want to check out the MNT Reform. It's completely open source Linux machine that is fully able to be taken apart. I'm excited to see more repairable machines on the market.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform